Key Mapping

kisaraven
kisaraven Posts: 1 Arc User
edited June 2010 in Suggestion Box
KEY MAPPING

It would be nice to be able to have User defined keys.
The main reason I wish to have this feature.
I would like to have a secondary, Auto Run key assigned; primarily the "F" key.

I am okay with the mouse click running, but I also like just clicking a key, and my character just runs or walks.

I fully believe this feature is needed.
Post edited by kisaraven on

Comments

• Hakurodk - Heavens Tear
    Hakurodk - Heavens Tear Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I agree. I actually assumed there would be key mapping in the game. I'm just used to using not only the WSAD keys to move, but also the Q and E keys as well. So while the A and D keys would turn me, the Q and E keys would be how I would strafe. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to add it in, but I do hope you can!
  • skekzyz
    skekzyz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Whoever came up with using W,A,S,D for movement should be shot!!! People who leave W,A,S,D as their movement keys when they can change them should have their heads examined!!! WHY? WHY? WHY, Move your left hand one position over on the keyboard from home row??? WHY? When E,S,D,F is the same thing and you are still on home row to be able to TYPE!!!!! WHY? WHY, when you could have easy access to T,G,V and Tab, Caps lock, Shift, Q, ect. just by moving one finger instead of your whole hand, WHY? :confused:

I like this game, I just started playing today, BUT I HATE THAT I CANNOT CHANGE WHAT THE KEYS (that I'm used to using) DO. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GIVE US the option of using the default layout or being able to fully customize what every key does.

I would also love an auto run function and to have the left mouse button make you move forward when held down, just like holding the W down does now.
  • selli
    selli Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I like the W,A,S,D movement. It's way easier to click on spells, but my mother (who also plays the game) is left handed and the W,A,S,D drives her mad. There should be a way to switch if you want.

Also, the whole striding thing with the A and D I found was really stupid. You'd have to change the camra angle everytime you moved. Some people don't read the help box (thank goodness I did) and they would never figure out how to change the A and D keys to turning instead of oddly striding. Changing such an important option should be a bit more obvious then a little "A&D Key" checkmark option thing. >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    .:[H]eaven's[T]ear:. -- Nyuu~! =^.^=
    || Selli -- Level ?, Female, Venomancer, Untamed. ||
    || SelliCookie -- Level 10, Cleric, Female, Winged Elf. ||
    || Takomi -- Level 10, Wizard, Female, Human. ||
    || Snowclaw -- Level 1, Male, Barbarian, Untamed. ||
  • guso1
    guso1 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    It would be great if Q and E were to be used as strafe keys while A and D as turning ones. Most MMO includes such bindings and play experience and mobility is enhaced. Please enable this function.

Thanks,
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    I support remapping keys, but for those saying Q should be strafe left, where would you put the Quest interface for those people used to pressing Q for quests? L? I think WoW has it on that by default, but of course it also lets you remap stuff, this doesn't.
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • revoil
    revoil Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    bron wrote: »
    I support remapping keys, but for those saying Q should be strafe left, where would you put the Quest interface for those people used to pressing Q for quests? L? I think WoW has it on that by default, but of course it also lets you remap stuff, this doesn't.

Many games uses J,K,L,I,O,P for all the other options (J for character,K for skills, L for quest List, I for inventory, O for Option, P for party/community, etc) while still using W,A,S,D,Q,E for movement and Tab or Num.Lock for Auto Run. Most games also offer players to remap their keys so if they're not happy with a key they can change it (if you don't like Q for quest change it to L for exemple).

______
    Back to main topic:
    I completly agree with this idea.
  • bron
    bron Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Like I said, I support remapping. You really didn't have to tell me those. I know most of them, as I've played multiple games. :D
    Proud Pre-Launch CO and Pre-Launch STO Lifetime Subscriber.
  • soujiro01
    soujiro01 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2008
    Sooo.
    This thread is a bit old, but I didn't think key mapping was such a complicated matter that it'd not be in a game.

I bind my keys all over: f, z, x, c, q, e, shift+all of those, 1-0, v, ctrl+all of those, etc, etc.

Since PW doesn't allow it..I'm stuck with the F keys and 1-6? Was there any reason posted for this restriction, or is there any reason for it? I mean, what about 7-0? :O

I can and have coped just fine, but at the cost of hindering efficiency and gameplay.. and lots of extra key strokes.

Disclaimer: I know thread is old. I know PW isn't "other games". I know certain keyboards can make the computer think one key is any other. etc. Irrelevant to my post :)
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2009
    skekzyz wrote: »
    Whoever came up with using W,A,S,D for movement should be shot!!! People who leave W,A,S,D as their movement keys when they can change them should have their heads examined!!! WHY? WHY? WHY, Move your left hand one position over on the keyboard from home row??? WHY? When E,S,D,F is the same thing and you are still on home row to be able to TYPE!!!!! WHY? WHY, when you could have easy access to T,G,V and Tab, Caps lock, Shift, Q, ect. just by moving one finger instead of your whole hand, WHY? :confused:

I like this game, I just started playing today, BUT I HATE THAT I CANNOT CHANGE WHAT THE KEYS (that I'm used to using) DO. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, GIVE US the option of using the default layout or being able to fully customize what every key does.

I would also love an auto run function and to have the left mouse button make you move forward when held down, just like holding the W down does now.
    Are you a vim user by any chance? I suppose asdf is a good replacement for hjkl when the right hand typically uses the mouse (sucks to be left handed).
  • mikeysix6
    mikeysix6 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Definitely needs key remapping. I want arrow keys instead of W A S D.

And I want reverse mouse. In other words, I move it up, the camera moves down. Instead of the way it is currently.

Those are really the only qualms I have about this game so far.
  • Ninjagirl - Harshlands
    Ninjagirl - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I am uninstalling this game after finding out you can't even rebind the arrow keys.

This is absolutely absurd but hilarious at the same time.

How could they leave out something so basic and fundamental?
  • SlayerMaster - Heavens Tear
    SlayerMaster - Heavens Tear Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Have your parents ever told you this : "You won't always get what you want"? Most of the time that is true. Sometimes you have to deal with it. Now is where you have to deal with it.
  • grintch999
    grintch999 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Have your parents ever told you this : "You won't always get what you want"? Most of the time that is true. Sometimes you have to deal with it. Now is where you have to deal with it.

Thanks for your input, like the previous poster, I'm dealing with it by uninstalling the game. If they don't care enough to have something that's in 99% of other games like keybinding, why bother playing and being frustrated?
  • Asperitas - Lost City
    Asperitas - Lost City Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    There's customizable key-bindings already.

Necro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElderSig - Dreamweaver
    ElderSig - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,247 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    *Hates self for posting in necro'd thread*

I don't even understand why people complain about keybinding. >.>

In every game I play I don't change the keys whether I can or not. You'll find out often that the way it's laid out already turns out to be the best.

I think people who "can't" play a game because they can't fit every single key to their liking is slightly... pathetic. >.>

P.S. Of course maybe it's just because I play a lot of console-based games where it's not really a good idea to usually move the buttons around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mastervash
    mastervash Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    I was happy to find this thread and read some of the history of the key mapping issue...and to see they have it now.

I'm super new to PWI, but not other games. I like to trying to work with what the game offers in terms of keys to push. But I do think that providing for a few more functions and mappings would make PWI even better than it is.

Namely:
    1. Key based auto-run
    2. camera stays behind character
    3. bind all arrow keys to move forward, left, right and back
    4. make move back literally "backup" not "turn around and run back"
    5. separate strafing from turning. these are not a question of either or and should both be available and mappable

Lastly, here's my case for having the arrow keys be avalable for movement.

1. In most cases, the arrow keys are near ALT, CTRL and SHIFT on the right hand side. This allows me to move and use modifier keys...like for triggerring spells on a secondary or third action bar.
    2. moving with arrow keys keeps my left hand free to cast spells, strafe, target or jump.
    3. these two things combined are actually incredible fast and efficient (I play many other games this way and don't even have a real mouse!)

Just my 3 cents. :)
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    lmao this one was necroed twiceb:laugh
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle