Archer VS. Blademaster

Options
aznboiek
aznboiek Posts: 20 Arc User
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
i was just wondering which of these were more expensive to use.. ive played a bm and used a lot of money and i was just wondering how it was for archers since im starting one anyone got an answer?
Post edited by aznboiek on

Comments

• BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I've got this wizard, a 68 bm, a 45 cleric and a lvl 30 archer. For the fun, wiz and archer are my favorite. At this point wizard is still winning. As per grinding and what repairs/arrows cost. I would say its about the same from what I've noticed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TameThat - Sanctuary
    TameThat - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Archer is probably one of the least expensive class to play (along with venomancer).

- You have low repair cost due to the fact that you are killing enemy before they reach you (no armor repair, just weapon).
    - You have a mp recovery skill. (Winged Shell)
    - You use less pots then what you get from grinding.

You can do fine with just the level 1 ammo, so using 4-6 ammo per monster is gonna cost you 8-12 coins if you buy them off Blacksmith and thats pretty much half nothing.
    ~~~ My Guides ~~~

Mystical Tome (h ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250862)
    AOE Grinding with Venomancer (h ttp://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guide_to_AOE_Grinding_With_Venomancer)
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    aznboiek wrote: »
    i was just wondering which of these were more expensive to use.. ive played a bm and used a lot of money and i was just wondering how it was for archers since im starting one anyone got an answer?

Archer is certainly not a cheap class, id say its more expensive since a BM can unlike archers make good money aoeing. As soon as you can start aoe at Nightscream island you will make loads of cash as a BM. I know Bms that made like 40 mil from just aoe at ants, that would be impossible for any archer since they have to kill mobs 1 by 1. Archers also use loads of hp pots or hp charm lvling and they do consume quite a bit mp pots. Winged shell does not regen shiet.

Archers are also pretty gear dependent (like all DD-classes ). A Bm on the other hand can do fine 90+ with only like +3-4 gear and +6 weapon since they can tank a bit more and also have the chain stun. Archers need alot more refine on both weapon and gear or they just drop to fast lol.
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I know Bms that made like 40 mil from just aoe at ants

O.O where are these ants? b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    O.O where are these ants? b:dirty

Your sig is win lolb:laugh
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Your sig is win lolb:laugh

b:cuteb:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Mallakai - Sanctuary
    Mallakai - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Archer is probably one of the least expensive class to play (along with venomancer).

- You have low repair cost due to the fact that you are killing enemy before they reach you (no armor repair, just weapon).
    - You have a mp recovery skill. (Winged Shell)
    - You use less pots then what you get from grinding.

You can do fine with just the level 1 ammo, so using 4-6 ammo per monster is gonna cost you 8-12 coins if you buy them off Blacksmith and thats pretty much half nothing.

LOL! Winged shell doesn't recover **** for MP. YES you use MORE pots than what ya get from grinding.

.....and only an idiot uses the lvl one arrows if you can get higher grade.

Although....the reasons may be totally untrue, yes an archer is cheaper than a BM by far. BM has way more repairs and costs in Pots.
  • Amarta - Sanctuary
    Amarta - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    BMs and Venos are dirt cheap as far as normal play (not includng Herc/Nix obviously.)
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    lol wtf? explain where my 300+ perfect mystery pots came from? and i sure as hell don't use mana charms for grinding

winged shell recovers more than enough for that 1 spell you spam while grinding -> frost arrow
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • Mallakai - Sanctuary
    Mallakai - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    lol wtf? explain where my 300+ perfect mystery pots came from? and i sure as hell don't use mana charms for grinding

Lolz.....you have 300 pots at that lvl and your saying that you NEVER had to buy pots right? you have always gotten more from grinding that you used? ok if you say so. I'm talkin about throughout the course of the game not what you happen to have in your inventory at the moment.
  • Esteban - Harshlands
    Esteban - Harshlands Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Lolz.....you have 300 pots at that lvl and your saying that you NEVER had to buy pots right? you have always gotten more from grinding that you used? ok if you say so. I'm talkin about throughout the course of the game not what you happen to have in your inventory at the moment. Of course, my archer is on Lost City not a care bear server like Sanc, so maybe you don't use too many pots.

so pvp servers= more mp use per skill? Didn't know that cool.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options
    o? do you spend more time 60+ or below lvl 60? once you start grinding anything not melee theres no need for mp pots, and if you find yourself needing it, you probably aren't hitting the right mobs. even before 60...if you got yourself a sinister shooter...

against other players you're forced to use a lot more spells, but the mana usage there is not exclusive to archers.
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options

winged shell recovers more than enough for that 1 spell you spam while grinding -> frost arrow

Yeah if you do "normal attack" you use no MP. Why on earth would you use 1 spell (frost arrow) and nothing else? Thats just crazy. I do not understand out of 25+ skills why you would choose to kill something slower and use normal attack. Not to mention, if you have 300 pots why are you hoarding them. Use your skills and use the pots.... after all; that is what they are for.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Lolz.....you have 300 pots at that lvl and your saying that you NEVER had to buy pots right? you have always gotten more from grinding that you used? ok if you say so. I'm talkin about throughout the course of the game not what you happen to have in your inventory at the moment.

Good thing you added that s in the bolded part.

I would say Archers,Barbs and then BMs from the non castors in costs.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Yeah if you do "normal attack" you use no MP. Why on earth would you use 1 spell (frost arrow) and nothing else? Thats just crazy. I do not understand out of 25+ skills why you would choose to kill something slower and use normal attack. Not to mention, if you have 300 pots why are you hoarding them. Use your skills and use the pots.... after all; that is what they are for.

i hoard them to give them away to faction members who have classes that do spam spells (and when i cube). well strictly talking about pve, more like, it's not necessary to use many skills. archer's damage on mobs mostly comes from normal shots. spells take up channeling and casting time, during which you could've squeezed out an extra shot. the extra damage added to archer spells is not more than what the normal attacks can deal, especially with a decent weapon. no, it's not base damage + x00% weapon damage + addon damage like caster nukes; its usually base damage + addon damage (except for deadly shot and barrage, which you don't spam while grinding, well i dont)

generally speaking, frost is enough to slow down a mob so you can kill it before it touches you. if not, then you can cast knockback and stun or something and slowly regen the mana back with winged shell on subsequent mobs. you're not going to kill mobs faster spamming spells than just normal attacking. as the mob moves toward you, casting something takes up time while dealing less damage than attacking twice (or more depending on the spell), and during that time the mob moves closer toward you without having taken as much damage. that makes you more likely to get hit as well.

with a really good weapon, like a highly refined soulsmasher, you don't even need to cast anything most of the time.
  • Dudusk - Lost City
    Dudusk - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    .....and only an idiot uses the lvl one arrows if you can get higher grade.
    Well if you knew the cost of higher grade bolts, you would understand why only an idiot wouldn't use grade one bolts, arrows or shots for PVE. In my 6x days I would buy higher grade for PVE until I realized that grade one arrows gets the PVE job done at a way lower price.
    IMO BMs make alot more money with a higher repair cost charm cost(MP, HP) but archers do not have to spam skills to kill.
  • EgaeniI - Heavens Tear
    EgaeniI - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    only ever grind 1 day and that was during the double exp week.. and even that put me offb:cute but i heared from bm frineds that aoe grind do give u a lot of money for the hr
    b:bye full time shop part time player
  • Absoluth - Heavens Tear
    Absoluth - Heavens Tear Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Dude, a choice of class shouldnt be based on whats the cost, but how much you enjoy playing it. Who the hell cares if X class makes less money grinding or Y class (veno :P) makes a bundle solo hunting? You'll get money 1 way or the other. In the end, what matters is the fun you're having while doing it.

That being said, pick the char you would feel better playing. I myself am a damage freak and chose archer for the high critical %. Also, i like ranged chars and wiz in this game didnt seem that well developed.
    PWI:
    "Free to play. Pay to win"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well, I am a lvl 88 BM with little cash and I do AoE grind quite often. The repairs for me are sometimes outrageously high. I also have an archer that I play with for fun, that's close to 60 levels lower than my BM but has almost the same amount of cash. So, either I failed my BM character or my archer is a good money maker for her level.
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • Cal - Harshlands
    Cal - Harshlands Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Well, I am a lvl 88 BM with little cash and I do AoE grind quite often. The repairs for me are sometimes outrageously high. I also have an archer that I play with for fun, that's close to 60 levels lower than my BM but has almost the same amount of cash. So, either I failed my BM character or my archer is a good money maker for her level.

Thats a fail bm's ofc.

I know bm's who buy GX mat from wht they get through aoeing. (thats 30M)

Max i saw on a archer is 20M (he was a cash shopper).
    By the power of the alt lord ....
    I am ALT-MAN b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dakaruch - Lost City
    Dakaruch - Lost City Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    BM aoe grinding get charms **** (HP and MP), so it's not that easy to make money as a bm. Honestly i make more money grinding mobs 1 by 1, then go and aoe 10+ at once. The point of aoe grind is to get huge loads of xp really fast (perfect for zhening party/fast lvl).
    Tbh, the way i see it, fastest way to get money is to grab a cleric, and grind on spiders... BM dragons and aoe while cleric tanks b:dirty
  • Grox - Dreamweaver
    Grox - Dreamweaver Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    What am I doing wrong? BM is expensive as heck to play even with aoe grind b:shocked

I've magicly made it to 90 with no clue what BM does? b:surrender
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Typical archer grind = 3 skills (less buffs and the likes)

Winged shell
    Frost Arrow
    Knockback

A decently geared archer may not even need frost or knockback meaning you will only use winged shell, KB at most.

I for one have never ever bought a single pot. I only use pots in instances and other things, NOT grinding.

So all of you who said archers needs pots or need to buy them or "not using any skills for grinding is bad" actually have no idea how archers grind. Grinding gets easier as levels pass. If you're spamming skills to kill when you grind, you're doing something really wrong.

For BM, I have no comment on their expenses.

edit:
    Thats a fail bm's ofc.

I know bm's who buy GX mat from wht they get through aoeing. (thats 30M)

Max i saw on a archer is 20M (he was a cash shopper).

Just my bow is over 20mil (got it upgraded at 81 and still using it at 84, meaning I have a 20+ mil item at 81 without cash shopping) and I have not spent one cent on this game. It honestly just depends on how the person plays rather than the class...
  • Retributions - Heavens Tear
    Retributions - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    I hardly find myself using MP pots while killing. As stated, the only skills i happen to use is Frost Arrow, KB Arrow, and Winged Shell. There are occasional times when I do use Stunning arrow or Aim Low for "Increase Defense" and "Increased Life". I do use MP pots, but I haven't bought them from apothecary in ages. Most of my MP pots that i use are refilled by the Mana potion drops.

I found myself also using less HP pots as i started to use Winged Shell more often. It prevents damage and gives you mana regeneration while at it. Honestly, the only time I use my chi (besides Winged Shell) is Frost Arrow, which most of the time (the chi) is regained after killing the mob. Which gives you all the chi you need to spam that Winged Shell.
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    At lvl70 I had 300 lvl60 Hp pots and 70 or so MP pots from drops.
    Archers do more damage with not using skills on usual mobs especially with W&C + another speed incrising gear.
    Archers are not expensive at all. We do not AoE grind, but I dont really feel poor compared with Wizzards.
    I kill things b:victory