Shatter Explained & FAQ

Comments

• kantorek
    kantorek Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    belatu wrote: »
    a Few Questions

From Kantoreks Patch Notes

No Mention Of This In This Posting And No Mention Of This On The Guardian Angels Decription. Can This Be Confirmed And Will The Text On Guardian Angels Be Amended?

Can Gear Potentially Shatter And Drop At The Same Time?
    Can Shattered Gear Be Traded And If So Is There An Indication That It Is Shattered? ( I Have No Desire To Shatter Some To Test This?)

Yes, if you have your Safety Lock OFF, you have the potential to drop and shatter your gear. Please see the % below....

As the patch notes indicate, Guardian Angel's will protect you from gear shatter. The text will be changed in the future to reflect this.
    if I'm Whitenamed, And Someone Comes Up And Pk's Me, And I Am *not* In Pk Mode, I Can Still Drop *and* Have My Gear Shattered?

Gms/mods Only Please - I'm Not Interested In Your "interpretation", Or Your Qqing, Or You Telling Me To Re-roll Pve.

I *do* Have An Alt On Lc, And I'd Like Some Clarification.

Red

From Patch Notes
    The Percentage That An Item Will Shatter Upon Being Killed In Pvp (safety Lock Off):
    white And Pink Name Players = 0%
    light Red Players = 1%
    red players = 2%
    dark Red Players = 3%
    "

Please consult the patch notes http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=364542 or the original post of this thread for more information.
    朱健诚
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Maintenance is my Constant. b:surrender
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If I'm whitenamed, and someone comes up and pk's me, and I am *not* in PK mode, I can still drop *and* have my gear shattered?

GMs/mods only please - I'm not interested in your "interpretation", or your QQing, or you telling me to re-roll PvE.

I *do* have an alt on LC, and I'd like some clarification.

Red

I'm not a GM or mod but I'm just going to quote you some stuff that explained the same thing to me. I'm assuming you're talking about your LC alt as it's very hard to be white named and not in PK mode at the same time when on a PvE server =p
    1) Playing with Safety Lock completely off will still have the always-present low chance to drop an Item when PKed. Shatter chances are shown below.

The percentage that an item will shatter upon being killed in PVP (Safety Lock OFF):
    White and Pink name players = 0%
    Light Red players = 1%
    Red players = 2%
    Dark Red players = 3%
    SO, if you play on LC whitenamed, with all your protections checked OR unchecked, there is NO chance for your gear to shatter, however there is a very small chance (I believe it is 1%) for any one piece/stack of gear in your inventory to drop (as per drop rules here under "death penalty").
    Conclusions

With a white or pink name and Safety Lock off you should not be able to have items shatter in PVP, other percentages are listed above. With safety lock on the white and pink named players will have a 1% chance to have items shattered, increasing as shown above. Without Safety Lock on you will still have the low chance to drop an item as a white name.
    Hopefully that makes things a bit more clear.

EDIT: If you play with Safety Lock ON, you cannot drop gear. If you remain white named though, that 1% becomes 1% chance to shatter--again, this is with safety lock ON.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Norgannon - Lost City
    Norgannon - Lost City Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Setted up Safety Lock for 2 hours, I go PK'ing, no dolls. But, oh, I had to log off first so the Safety Lock turns on.

You costed me 2mil with your new update. Oh, well. Time to farm. La la la.

b:surrender
  • Rumble - Harshlands
    Rumble - Harshlands Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I think there were two good questions asked that I didn't see covered. Well one was, but I'm not sure if they answered fully.

1) Can gear be dropped and shattered at the same time. The response was yes gear can be both dropped and also shattered look at the percents. This does not answer the question though if it can happen at the same time. My guess is that for it to do so shattering wold have to take precedence so the item would shatter then drop, sinc eif it dropped first it wouldn't have a character to base the shattering off of. So specifically can they both happen together in one kill. So if I PK a red name is there a chance that I will pick up a piece of shattered gear if they drop it?

2) Never saw a response on if shattered gear can be traded and if so is there an indicator. So can shattered gear be traded? Can it be cat shopped? Can it be AH? Can it be dropped? Can it be NPC'd? Is there an indicator on all shattered gear? This I think would be like the genie issue where some don't show lucky points. So in other words maybe weapons show it, but aerogear doesn't and you could spend a few million on a flying mount and find out you paid full price on a shattered item.

3) Can it be broken down more (This one i added)? Meaning if the gear normally breaks down into 4 mirages and 2 mirages drop and it shatters so now it requires 3 to repair (120% the makeup rounded up) then can you break down the shattered gear and "Squeeze" out the last mirage? So normally if you broke it down you'd get 4 mirages, but now it shattered, you don't have enough money to repaid it so instead of making it a total loss you say what the heck, it still has one more mirage in it so i might as well get that.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Asked "If I'm white named and I get PKed I have a chance to shatter"
    Kantorek wrote: »
    Yes, if you have your Safety Lock OFF, you have the potential to drop and shatter your gear. Please see the % below....

And the table says "0%"?

So, just to re-confirm - if you are white named, technically there is a chance, but that chance is 0% - so no, stuff won't shatter. (Though you still might drop something, like before)

Is that correct?
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Asked "If I'm white named and I get PKed I have a chance to shatter"

And the table says "0%"?

So, just to re-confirm - if you are white named, technically there is a chance, but that chance is 0% - so no, stuff won't shatter. (Though you still might drop something, like before)

Is that correct?

As long as safety lock is off, yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Katz - Lost City
    Katz - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    making peoples that do not support the game with real money lives impossible are we?
    meow?

b:bye
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    making peoples that do not support the game with real money lives impossible are we?

I don't remember mirage celestones costing real cash? Please don't make blanket statements unless you acknowledge all of the facts first
  • Katz - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I don't remember mirage celestones costing real cash? Please don't make blanket statements unless you acknowledge all of the facts first

let me clear the picture for you

i have wings that would cost 15 mirages if they shatter and other equipment that would cost 5-10 mirages
    all my gear is bound, i chose to do that so i wont have to pay for dolls because i can't afford to pay them with coins that i am able to get in game.
    that's what people that want to pvp safely and don't buy gold usually do, use binding charms because they made a lot of sense (until now)

so with the new system you are forcing me to either get dolls or somehow come up with a plan to keep pvp without getting infamous (any ideas are welcomed )
    that's what i meant with "making my life impossible"
    meow?

• eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    let me clear the picture for you

i have wings that would cost 15 mirages if they shatter and other equipment that would cost 5-10 mirages
    all my gear is bound, i chose to do that so i wont have to pay for dolls because i can't afford to pay them with coins that i am able to get in game.
    that's what people that want to pvp safely and don't buy gold usually do, use binding charms because they made a lot of sense (until now)

so with the new system you are forcing me to either get dolls or somehow come up with a plan to keep pvp without getting infamous (any ideas are welcomed )
    that's what i meant with "making my life impossible"

Thank you for clarifying, your initial statement seemed to mean that you were somehow being forced to buy cash shop with absolutely no alternative, which is not the case
  • Tigriss - Heavens Tear
    Tigriss - Heavens Tear Posts: 760 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Binding charms just make it where you don't drop your equips right? So they are still needed right? They arn't a wast like people keep saying right? I mean I'd rather break something then loose it fiorever.
    "Jesus fricking christ on a pogo stick. Your a mass of fricking idiots I swear!"
    -Saitada
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thankies Crystalynnex
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    Binding charms just make it where you don't drop your equips right? So they are still needed right? They arn't a wast like people keep saying right? I mean I'd rather break something then loose it fiorever.

True, I'd rather shatter my item and repair it with celestones than lose it too
  • Ascii - Harshlands
    Ascii - Harshlands Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I hate to say it but this IS another money making scheme, the whole point of pking was to fight people kill them and hope to drop gear, this was solved by binding your stuff, thus allowing free pking, now that dolls HAVE to be bought in order to protect my gear from shattering is ridiculous. This was not a problem; this was never a problem, why would you change a system that worked so well before… oh yea, the profit margins you make.

The problem that is happening is people Killing low levels, infact GMS began personally warning people for pking in secret passage not 4 days ago on Harshlands, why not create a system like this for high to low level pking?

This system needs to be taken out of the game and soon, this helps no one apart from pwi’s bank account from all the people who went full bound and are now having to buy angel to protect there gears from shattering.
    True, I'd rather shatter my item and repair it with celestones than lose it too

Oh and your wrong about either one or the other, for full bound pkers its either buy an angel or shatter your gear, which the repair is almost 6x the amount for 1 angel.
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I hate to say it but this IS another money making scheme, the whole point of pking was to fight people kill them and hope to drop gear, this was solved by binding your stuff, thus allowing free pking, now that dolls HAVE to be bought in order to protect my gear from shattering is ridiculous. This was not a problem; this was never a problem, why would you change a system that worked so well before

Well i think the answer is on the second page. Here it is.
    The reason behind this doesn't seem that hard to understand.

Before the patch went in, you could defeat the safety lock. The idea of the safety lock is that "If it's on, then my items are safe. Even if my account is stolen, they can't get my items off me"

Except.. they could. Go red, get PKd repeatedly, and eventually everything would drop and you'd lose all of your gear. Oops!

So. Now the safety lock ALSO prevents items from dropping on death. Great!
    Except... that opens up a new problem. Everyone would just turn on their safety lock just before they died, and there would be no risk at all when PKing. Ooops!

So the 'shatter' system goes in. There's a risk to getting PKed again, but even if your account IS stolen, the worst they can do is cost you a few (pretty high) repair bills.

Problem, sorta, solved.

And if you're PVE (and spoons is right about the blue name drop chance being removed) things just got safer for you.
  • Ascii - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Well i think the answer is on the second page. Here it is.

Account stealing is not the problem and again it never was, besides, what’s to stop someone going onto the account, turning off the saftys then dieing. For a person to be fully safe they would have to set the saftys to max hours and play the game at the most basic of levels, aka no selling stuff est. est.

The idea of the safety lock is so you don’t accidentally hit people you don’t want to, like Guild members for example, there was a problem with people like clerics not being able to heal themselves, so they made a new system with more specific safety items, it was perfect as it was, no need to then completely change the system.
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I thought the no hitting people thing is the pk protections
  • Ascii - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    I thought the no hitting people thing is the pk protections

There’s 2 types of protections, the original protection which you can change the time for, you may of noticed it, you have it for 1 minute after you log in. if you set that to say 6 hours, for them 6 hours you cant do anything that alters the accounts items, like you cant npc stuff.

The other is the PK Protection, which this update affects, you can check stuff to make you only attack or not attack certain people.

If this update is to prevent account hacking and them losing there items, the person who would be **** must know he’s going to be **** and then set his original safety lock to max hours. This update doesn’t stop this problem if it even exists, because all the hacker is gonna do is, oh... Pk safety lock... “Turns off” kk now ill get red named and loses all his stuff...

And if he’s bound it all, ill shatter it then take the mirages that drop. Win win for the hacker. lession for this, cashshop yourself dolls.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    There’s 2 types of protections, the original protection which you can change the time for, you may of noticed it, you have it for 1 minute after you log in. if you set that to say 6 hours, for them 6 hours you cant do anything that alters the accounts items, like you cant npc stuff.

The other is the PK Protection, which this update affects, you can check stuff to make you only attack or not attack certain people.

If this update is to prevent account hacking and them losing there items, the person who would be **** must know he’s going to be **** and then set his original safety lock to max hours. This update doesn’t stop this problem if it even exists, because all the hacker is gonna do is, oh... Pk safety lock... “Turns off” kk now ill get red named and loses all his stuff...

And if he’s bound it all, ill shatter it then take the mirages that drop. Win win for the hacker. lession for this, cashshop yourself dolls.

You're mixing up the locks. PK protections have nothing to do with this, only the original safety lock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Ascii - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    You're mixing up the locks. PK protections have nothing to do with this, only the original safety lock.

In that case my original response stands, for a person to be 100% safe they would need safety lock on 100%, which vastly limits the game.
  • Waterboy - Lost City
    Waterboy - Lost City Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    this new system creates a thought:

"since i need a doll on me at all time i mite as well pk rite?"<-option 1
    "i mite shatter my armor if i pk"(even not red name) so less pk"<-option 2

with more pk on option 1 ppl tend to die more which creates more purchases of dolls.

it doesnt matter why u implanted it, if you look at it logically PWE is just making some $$
  • ydodo
    ydodo Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I hate to say it but this IS another money making scheme, the whole point of pking was to fight people kill them and hope to drop gear, this was solved by binding your stuff, thus allowing free pking, now that dolls HAVE to be bought in order to protect my gear from shattering is ridiculous. This was not a problem; this was never a problem, why would you change a system that worked so well before… oh yea, the profit margins you make.

The problem that is happening is people Killing low levels, infact GMS began personally warning people for pking in secret passage not 4 days ago on Harshlands, why not create a system like this for high to low level pking?

This system needs to be taken out of the game and soon, this helps no one apart from pwi’s bank account from all the people who went full bound and are now having to buy angel to protect there gears from shattering.

Oh and your wrong about either one or the other, for full bound pkers its either buy an angel or shatter your gear, which the repair is almost 6x the amount for 1 angel.

Who's gonna pay the GM's to police the rpkers? you?

Admit it now you are just another coward that whines about risks of pk. You want the blood and no consequence of it. It's perfectly legitimate for PWI to tax ppl like you, so that GM's can save their valuable time wasted in policing what should have been normal gaming activities in the first place.
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    ydodo wrote: »
    Who's gonna pay the GM's to police the rpkers? you?

Admit it now you are just another coward that whines about risks of pk. You want the blood and no consequence of it. It's perfectly legitimate for PWI to tax ppl like you, so that GM's can save their valuable time wasted in policing what should have been normal gaming activities in the first place.

Well PWI can do whatever it wants of course.

What this is doing is creating an imbalance.

A low level PKr who IS NOT a coward can be having a fun time pking around his/her level. Before it was no big deal if you died and had your Cash Shop flyer bound. Now you could lose 15 mirages for doing what the PvP server was intended for, PKing. Since the risk of dying while Pking around your own level is higher, it creates an incentive for high levels to PK lower levels.

So now I have a choice of only staying white/pink which means virtually no Pking or buying Angels (what PWI probably intended by this feature).

Oh, I forgot the last option, not play PWI anymore.
  • Katz - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    PWI staff, show us that you really intended to make pk fun and REMOVE ANGELS PROTECTION from shatter system. How about that? any thoughts?

You were talking about removing carefree pk, why did you do that only for people with bound gear? You know that gear doesn't go anywhere and people payed millions of ingame coins for that

Do the same for the people that chose to protect their stuff with angels and let them face the same danger.

For the first time since i play this i am really really really disgusted. This is my last post regarding this i just wanted to express my opinion
    meow?

• Rumble - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    I hate to repost my question but after several pages it didn't get a response while other questions and comments did. Can any GM please comment? Thank you
    I think there were two good questions asked that I didn't see covered. Well one was, but I'm not sure if they answered fully.

1) Can gear be dropped and shattered at the same time. The response was yes gear can be both dropped and also shattered look at the percents. This does not answer the question though if it can happen at the same time. My guess is that for it to do so shattering wold have to take precedence so the item would shatter then drop, sinc eif it dropped first it wouldn't have a character to base the shattering off of. So specifically can they both happen together in one kill. So if I PK a red name is there a chance that I will pick up a piece of shattered gear if they drop it?

2) Never saw a response on if shattered gear can be traded and if so is there an indicator. So can shattered gear be traded? Can it be cat shopped? Can it be AH? Can it be dropped? Can it be NPC'd? Is there an indicator on all shattered gear? This I think would be like the genie issue where some don't show lucky points. So in other words maybe weapons show it, but aerogear doesn't and you could spend a few million on a flying mount and find out you paid full price on a shattered item.

3) Can it be broken down more (This one i added)? Meaning if the gear normally breaks down into 4 mirages and 2 mirages drop and it shatters so now it requires 3 to repair (120% the makeup rounded up) then can you break down the shattered gear and "Squeeze" out the last mirage? So normally if you broke it down you'd get 4 mirages, but now it shattered, you don't have enough money to repaid it so instead of making it a total loss you say what the heck, it still has one more mirage in it so i might as well get that.
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I hate to repost my question but after several pages it didn't get a response while other questions and comments did. Can any GM please comment? Thank you

perhaps something that will ease your mind (at least part of it), and its actually quite a simple thing lol.

when something is shattered it shows up in the item's info saying something about the gear is shattered and how many stones it will take to fix it. and that whole part of the added text in the description is in red letters. i would say this text would also appear on anything shattered that is posted in AH, CAT, or any other concievable way of trading / selling anything, because its all the same info.

if someone's silly enough to buy shattered gear for full price, it'd be their fault at that point b/c it says right in the item's info that the thing is shattered, here's how much it would take to fix it.

on the other hand, if there's a shattered item for sale at quite a cheap price: "one man's garbage is another man's treasure"

(btw: i wouldnt have known this if it werent for seeing 2 shattered gears on a bloodred on LC yesterday)
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • Rumble - Harshlands
    edited August 2009
    Thanks. I hadn't seen a shattered item yet so that's good to know. My only concern though is that it is like the genie lucky points. By this I mean some genies sometimes show the lucky points, say 26/40, but others in catshops for some reason do not. I just wanted to confirm that this would not happen and that the big red shattered status shows on ALL items shattered, ALL the time.

I alos would like a GM to comment on my other questions about being able to NPC them as is or being able to "squeeze" out the remaining stones.
  • Liez - Heavens Tear
    Liez - Heavens Tear Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Hello!

Sorry for disturbing you with such a silly question, but me and my brother have a problem. I created an account and he wanted to try the game, yo he made a character on my account, and he got to lik PWI, so now he's character is lvl 56. But maybe he is going to get a new computer soon or later, so we want to play together. The problem is simple: he does not want to create a new character on another account, 'cause its hard to level it and start everything again. So, is it possible, to take a character to another account? (I'm sure about the answer, and sorry again.)

Thanks a lot!
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    I don't think your gear will drop and shatter at the same time. Can you drop gear that was shattered previously? I haven't checked. Not sure about the squeezing question, the FAQ covers something similar but I haven't experimented enough to give you a solid answer. I assume shattered items are tradeable but like xxx said i doubt anyone would want to buy it.

When I get solid responses I will confirm these answers

@Liez: Unfortunately there is not a way to transfer characters from different accounts.

EDIT: 1) Technically it should be possible. The chances are very very low, and we haven't seen it happen.

2) Can be dropped, traded, vendored

3) Shatters cannot be decomposed
  • trydeegra
    trydeegra Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I accidentally removed 2 of my skills during combat, and now they're gone! My flying and mediatation skill.

Where have they gone?!
  • eatwithspoons
    edited August 2009
    trydeegra wrote: »
    I accidentally removed 2 of my skills during combat, and now they're gone! My flying and mediatation skill.

Where have they gone?!

Hit "R" and there you go b:victory