Shatter Explained & FAQ

eatwithspoons
eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Arigora Colosseum
As I said yesterday, our people here did some additional testing of this feature to re-confirm the data listed in the patch notes. Here are the results:

1) Playing with Safety Lock completely off will still have the always-present low chance to drop an Item when PKed. Shatter chances are shown below.

The percentage that an item will shatter upon being killed in PVP (Safety Lock OFF):
White and Pink name players = 0%
Light Red players = 1%
Red players = 2%
Dark Red players = 3%

This has been consistent with our testing.

2) Playing with Safety Lock on and "faction/white name/all" unchecked will not let you drop your items, but the original safety lock features still apply, meaning your NPC interactions will be limited. The chance to have items shattered is increased as shown below.

The percentage that an item will shatter upon being killed in PVP (Safety Lock ON):
White and Pink name players = 1%
Light Red players = 2%
Red players = 3%
Dark Red players = 4%

3) Playing with Safety Lock on and only "faction/white name" checked still retains the increased chance to have items shattered, items will not drop, and your NPC interactions will be limited. Same percentage as the above data to my knowledge:

The percentage that an item will shatter upon being killed in PVP (Safety Lock ON):
Light Red players = 2%
Red players = 3%
Dark Red players = 4%

4) Playing with Safety Lock on and "faction/white name/all" checked yields the same results as above. Increased chance to have items shattered, items will not drop, and your NPC interactions will be limited.Same percentage as the above data again.

Light Red players = 2%
Red players = 3%
Dark Red players = 4%

Conclusions

With a white or pink name and Safety Lock off you should not be able to have items shatter in PVP, other percentages are listed above. With safety lock on the white and pink named players will have a 1% chance to have items shattered, increasing as shown above. Without Safety Lock on you will still have the low chance to drop an item as a white name.

If something has happened that is not consistent with our results, and you are 100% positive that your settings were correct(meaning your SL didn't expire without you noticing), please send a ticket to customer service via our website.
Post edited by eatwithspoons on

Comments

• eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I am a white name, and my Safety Lock is still on. Why do I still get a damage penalty(shatter) no matter if I was killed by a player or a monster?
    A: Safety Lock only protects you from dropping gear. Whether you are a White Name or a Red Name, you might get your gear shattered.

Q: How can I get to know what and how many items I need to repair my damaged gear?
    A: The Blacksmith will tell you the exact amount. It's also written on the mouseover tooltip. If you want to know beforehand, the requirement is based on the components of the damaged item and their quantity. Some items do not fit this rule, and they will be listed in the near future.

Q: What is gear shattering? What will it be like when my gear gets shattered?
    A: It is a status given to your gear upon your death. You can still use the item, but its basic and additional attributes will no longer function until it is repaired. The flyers are unavailable for usage when shattered. This status has nothing to do with the gear’s endurance.

Q: Why make the death penalty rules so complicated?
    A: First, we wish to lower the risk and loss of players to a minimum. If we made so players lose no gear at all when the Safety Lock is on, this would lead to a “Safety Lock + Bind = Carefree PK Experience”. Thus, we introduced the gear damage penalty. Adding rules means it will be a little bit more complicated, we hope that with time everyone will become more familiar with this system.

Q: I have no Mirage Celestones in my Bag. My gear is shattered, and a lot of Mirage Celestones were dropped when I died. Why am I dropping Mirage Celestones?
    A: It is a “side effect” that your gear has been put into a shattered state. Unfortunately, the PK winner usually collects them. The number of stones dropped will always be 80% of the stones required to repair the equipment. This makes it impossible to farm your friends for stones. The dropping might not only be Mirage Celestones, but other types of stones as well.

Q: What can I do with my shattered gear? Is it useless now?
    A: Repair it! The items required to repair your gear will show in the mouseover tooltip of the shattered item. Several different NPCs now provide players with a repair service.

Q: What happens to players who have blue names?
    A: There used to be a small chance that a blue named player might drop items from his bag upon death. This chance has now been removed.

Q: What's the point of binding gear then?
    A: The introduction of the gear shattering system does not remove the chance to drop items. The existing item drop system is still 100% in effect, therefore binding your gear will definitely save you from dropping items. It will not save you from potential damage to your gear.

Q: My gear has been damaged. How do I know what types of stones will be dropped?
    A: Weapons, armor, accessories, flying mounts and tomes are the five types of equipment that can be shattered.
    For weapons, armor, and accessories, the items dropped is determined by the normal decomposition system, ranging from Yiyuan Stones to Mirage Celestones.
    For flying mounts, the drops are Mirage Celestones; the quantity is determined by its flying speed.
    For Tomes, the drops are Mirage Celestones.
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Here's a question; will this work in TW...? It better not...

...this question is so serious, I'm not using ANY Sauce Faces in this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Here's a question; will this work in TW...? It better not...

...this question is so serious, I'm not using ANY Sauce Faces in this post.

Considering it has to do with name colors, I doubt it.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Considering it has to do with name colors, I doubt it.

...if it was...I guess the attacking Faction'd be screwed, then. b:chuckle

Wow...Zoe actually seriously replies to my post instead of "knocking me down a few notches"...? I guess I'm just that Awesome-Sauce.

((Still no faces yet.))
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • eatwithspoons
    edited July 2009
    I am pretty darn sure that the mechanic doesn't apply in TW. I think Kanto talked about that in his patch note writeup
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    For flying mounts, the drops are Mirage Celestones; the quantity is determined by its flying speed.
    For Tomes, the drops are Mirage Celestones.

Please make this amount reasonable. I think it is unfair to penalize someone who bought (from the cash shop) and bound a nice flying mount thinking it would be permanently safe and then find that after this patch they may shatter and have to buy many expensive Mirages just to fix it.

Also, can you clarify which is the Safety Lock there are two things being mentioned, the NPC interaction safety lock and the PvP safety lock.

Posting an image of which one would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Please make this amount reasonable. I think it is unfair to penalize someone who bought (from the cash shop) and bound a nice flying mount thinking it would be permanently safe and then find that after this patch they may shatter and have to buy many expensive Mirages just to fix it.

Also, can you clarify which is the Safety Lock there are two things being mentioned, the NPC interaction safety lock and the PvP safety lock.

Posting an image of which one would be helpful. Thanks.

He did clarify. Can you not read? "NPC interactions will be limited"
    Main characters
  • vampirenite
    vampirenite Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    He did clarify. Can you not read? "NPC interactions will be limited"

Please don't respond in threads that don't apply to you Zoe. UR on HT and don't PvP. You seem to love brown nosing.

I am still not clear and he still refers to PvP protections. And yes I can read. TYVM.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    "Playing with Safety Lock on and "faction/white name/all" unchecked will not let you drop your items, but the original safety lock features still apply, meaning your NPC interactions will be limited."

Wow, pkers really have no reading comprehension do they?
    Main characters
  • Devoted - Lost City
    Devoted - Lost City Posts: 3,634 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Can I ask the reason why this was implemented?
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Please don't respond in threads that don't apply to you Zoe. UR on HT and don't PvP. You seem to love brown nosing.

I am still not clear and he still refers to PvP protections. And yes I can read. TYVM.

He's trying to show that no matter what you do with PvP protections, nothing is changed. If you read each one individually, it says for all of them that changing the checkboxes on the protections changes nothing in shattering chances.

Let's not start a flame fest? D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • vitenks
    vitenks Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The reason behind this doesn't seem that hard to understand.

Before the patch went in, you could defeat the safety lock. The idea of the safety lock is that "If it's on, then my items are safe. Even if my account is stolen, they can't get my items off me"

Except.. they could. Go red, get PKd repeatedly, and eventually everything would drop and you'd lose all of your gear. Oops!

So. Now the safety lock ALSO prevents items from dropping on death. Great!
    Except... that opens up a new problem. Everyone would just turn on their safety lock just before they died, and there would be no risk at all when PKing. Ooops!

So the 'shatter' system goes in. There's a risk to getting PKed again, but even if your account IS stolen, the worst they can do is cost you a few (pretty high) repair bills.

Problem, sorta, solved.

And if you're PVE (and spoons is right about the blue name drop chance being removed) things just got safer for you.
  • Anirudh - Lost City
    Anirudh - Lost City Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Can I ask the reason why this was implemented?

Read the FAQs Devoted b:pleased
  • Anirudh - Lost City
    Anirudh - Lost City Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    at first i thought safety lock was the lock below our character's name which is for 1Min by Default b:surrender
    Coz thats called Safety Lock too b:laugh
    why not call this as pvp lock or something? b:shutup
  • Asmathi - Sanctuary
    Asmathi - Sanctuary Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    at first i thought safety lock was the lock below our character's name which is for 1Min by Default b:surrender
    Coz thats called Safety Lock too
    why not call this as pvp lock or something?

That IS the Safety Lock. For those that do not know, the PVP lock that spoons is talking about is either a Shield or some other icon next to you minimap. It says things like "If player is red-named, buff is cast on self" and also can prevent you from attacking faction members, along with white named players.

Did this clear any other the confusion?

EDIT: Here are the Exact Pictures:

When in PK mode:2009-08-0104-54-39.jpg
    When NOT in PK Mode:2009-08-0104-54-23.jpg
    Options when Clicking on Selection:
    2009-08-0104-54-46.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Past is but a mere memory. Never Regret, for it can never be changed.
  • belatu
    belatu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    A few questions

From Kantoreks patch notes
    *Guardian Angels will protect your gears from shattering upon death.

No mention of this in this posting and no mention of this on the Guardian Angels decription. Can this be confirmed and will the text on Guardian Angels be amended?

Can gear potentially shatter AND drop at the same time?
    Can shattered gear be traded and if so is there an indication that it is shattered? ( i have no desire to shatter some to test this?)
  • Norgannon - Lost City
    Norgannon - Lost City Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I never get this stuff straight, so to clear all doubts and go directly to the point I care...

Let's say I spilled coffee and tea in the computers from the company I work in and get fired, so I'm like stressed and want to beat the **** out of low level newbs because if I go the IRL way I go to jail.

So, I beat the **** out of them and get 200 hours and start feeling uber sexy, cool and badass because I killed low levels to get my stress out.

I have no dolls on me. OMG. But I have the Safety Lock on. Let's say a Lvl. 9x decides he/she wants to kill me because I look smexy and she/he does. Would I drop items like usual? Or would they get shattered, or better said, get a chance to get shattered?

If so, what's the point of dolls now if you can just go safe with the Safety Lock?

-Very confused about this ****-

Art is my thing. b:surrender
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i am kinda confused because i dont go into pvp often. how do u turn your safety lock off
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What's the point of binding gear then?
    A: The introduction of the gear shattering system does not remove the chance to drop items. The existing item drop system is still 100% in effect, therefore binding your gear will definitely save you from dropping items. It will not save you from potential damage to your gear.

This is just for Red names with lock off correct? IE: A blood red player with safety lock off and unbound gear can still drop gear and have it shatter(with a 3% chance).

Do Dolls prevent shatter?
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Danteii - Lost City
    Danteii - Lost City Posts: 282 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Q: Is there any way PWi staff can make a poll about this brand new PvP system? I don'r recall reading 'bout gear shattering in the big patch preview.
    I am Liam Neeson, you may remember me in such films as I will find you and I will kill you. b:pleased
  • Norgannon - Lost City
    Norgannon - Lost City Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Q: Is there any way PWi staff can make a poll about this brand new PvP system? I don'r recall reading 'bout gear shattering in the big patch preview.

It was a last-minute master plan.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I never get this stuff straight, so to clear all doubts and go directly to the point I care...

Let's say I spilled coffee and tea in the computers from the company I work in and get fired, so I'm like stressed and want to beat the **** out of low level newbs because if I go the IRL way I go to jail.

So, I beat the **** out of them and get 200 hours and start feeling uber sexy, cool and badass because I killed low levels to get my stress out.

I have no dolls on me. OMG. But I have the Safety Lock on. Let's say a Lvl. 9x decides he/she wants to kill me because I look smexy and she/he does. Would I drop items like usual? Or would they get shattered, or better said, get a chance to get shattered?

If so, what's the point of dolls now if you can just go safe with the Safety Lock?

-Very confused about this ****-

Art is my thing. b:surrender

You would have a chance to get shattered, not dropped.

Also, dolls will remove the chance of shattering. So if you don't want to shatter, you have to buy dolls if safety lock is on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
  • Trawne - Lost City
    Trawne - Lost City Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    You would have a chance to get shattered, not dropped.

Also, dolls will remove the chance of shattering. So if you don't want to shatter, you have to buy dolls if safety lock is on.

If that's true then there's no point in safety lock being on since you have the doll.
    I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of title, the character of an honest man. -George Washington
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    If that's true then there's no point in safety lock being on since you have the doll.

Seems that way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited August 2009

I would like some conformation on this since if you have dolls no point in being in Safety lock in the first place.b:shocked
    Quit.
  • Waterboy - Lost City
    Waterboy - Lost City Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Read the FAQs Devoted b:pleased

i dont c it or those answers dont really answer the question "Why this was implemented?"
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    i dont c it or those answers dont really answer the question "Why this was implemented?"
    lol because they can b:cute
    Quit.
  • Aadi - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    I would like some conformation on this since if you have dolls no point in being in Safety lock in the first place.b:shocked

I got my source from the patch notes, here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=364542 (at the very bottom of the section on shattering.)

It's possible after testing/thinking more they changed it though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    If I'm whitenamed, and someone comes up and pk's me, and I am *not* in PK mode, I can still drop *and* have my gear shattered?

GMs/mods only please - I'm not interested in your "interpretation", or your QQing, or you telling me to re-roll PvE.

I *do* have an alt on LC, and I'd like some clarification.

Red
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein