Personal stores and lag

Options
Loeb_Rahl - Dreamweaver
Loeb_Rahl - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Suggestion Box
One of the main reasons for lag in cities is the proliferation of personal stores.

You have an auction system. It works. Personal stores are not a necessary feature in this game and cause problems for players. They are also a way of bypassing a fair market by eliminating price competition.

Remove player stores from the player options. Force usage of your auction system. You will help the economy by adding fair competition into pricing, and you will seriously reduce lag in cities.

People with personal stores don't feel they have to have competitive pricing. Example personal stores in one city selling bank quest items for 2500-3000 and more, same items on the auction for 1200-1500. Because those folks are competing against each other for sale.

You know as well as I that all the players with stores jammed close together in cities is the main reason for lag.

Do yourself and your players a favor and fix this with a simple solution.
Post edited by Loeb_Rahl - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Budika - Sanctuary
    Budika - Sanctuary Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    OK, while the premise of AH > Catshops sounds good in theory.... The fact is Catshops don't slow anything down... Other people looking at them do. Whenever you get a massive amount of people with different fashions/mounts/aerogear etc you'll have this slowdown on lesser computers.

Now AH cannot replace Catshops due to several factors... 1 some items cannot be sold in AH but only in Catshop... 2 AH doesn't allow you to try on clothing.. 3 AH increases the cost of any item sold there due to the listing Fee...

I'd love to see the AH wave fee's and allow anything to be sold there (That's tradable). The market would be much more competitive in that way... But at the end of the Day a Catshop's versitility could truly only be replaced if you could access the AH from a menu instead of a location.

Granted I don't like them Ontop of or blocking the View of NPC's the people who do this are extremely rude... If you also don't like this don't support them by buying there...
  • Loeb_Rahl - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    OK, while the premise of AH > Catshops sounds good in theory.... The fact is Catshops don't slow anything down... Other people looking at them do. Whenever you get a massive amount of people with different fashions/mounts/aerogear etc you'll have this slowdown on lesser computers....

Actually, every cat shop represents 1 player online. Whether or not they are moving. And that many people in that close an area causes lag. People should be able to move around the cities and city NPC's without the trouble this lag causes. Every store has data associated with it. That data is not stored on your computer, it's stored on the server. This means as you get within proximity to stores, data has to be exchanged. Both connection type and the users computer handle this in different manners. But it ALWAYS results in slower performance. The denser the population of stores the more detriment to system performance. And this not only puts a strain on player systems, it puts a strain on server performance as well. Put a 40 man raid together in any game for a raid. Bercause of the data exchange and the number of player in close proximity, all 40 players will suffer system performance. Most games, you have to seriously reduce data input to be able to raid effectively. regardless of the quality of your system. Several hundred stores in a small location has the exact same effect as you travel through them.
    Now AH cannot replace Catshops due to several factors... 1 some items cannot be sold in AH but only in Catshop... 2 AH doesn't allow you to try on clothing.. 3 AH increases the cost of any item sold there due to the listing Fee....

Very few items in game cannot be purchased through the AH. These could be sold through the Trade channel or they could be made sellable through the AH. And a feature allowing the viewing of an items as they're seen worn is not difficult to program into the existing AH.
    I'd love to see the AH wave fee's and allow anything to be sold there (That's tradable). The market would be much more competitive in that way... But at the end of the Day a Catshop's versitility could truly only be replaced if you could access the AH from a menu instead of a location.....

The AH fee for sale is minimal. And it is customary in most games. Consider it part of doing business.
    Granted I don't like them Ontop of or blocking the View of NPC's the people who do this are extremely rude... If you also don't like this don't support them by buying there...

Better yet, don't buy from Cat shops at all. As I said, I find the biggest reason for using them is simply to sell without competition. Very few people will spend hours running from one shop to the next to make a purchase based on cost. The AH forces players to actually compete with each other in an open market. Competition controls prices. I don't buy from them. I don't sell through them. More players should consider doing the same.

And for those out there wondering, USE the AH a bit. See just how much cheaper items are on the AH verses Cat shops. You won't go back to them either.
  • Eremedy - Dreamweaver
    Eremedy - Dreamweaver Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The thing with catshops blocking NPC...

I think it should be a quite easy thing to do - hear what's the solution:

There should be certain "Areas" around the NPC where it is impossible to put up the catshop. Let's say two meters around the NPC there's this area... And problem fixed.

Would be cool if there was a special "market area" in the main city or in all cities, where people can set their shops up. And to some additional locations too, maybe... And those places would be the only places where they can be set up (in each city and locale, then)

West Arch was a smart move to create it in, because a lot of people move around there.
    But on the other hand it is the worst place, because aparently it is THE place in the town, where most of the most-used NPC stay... Like the wineseller, match maker, crazy-stone and WQ NPC etc.

Same thing in the other towns - like in Plume they are right around the teleport-lady... (even tho I must admit that the place looks like a ground for market too - but I think it's supposed to be a teleporting gate for real?)

And if all the other areas would be restricted, then people will know where to go to find their goods to buy or sell too. Might take a week or two to get used to it, but I think (and maybe someone else too) that it would work out just fine :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Loeb_Rahl - Dreamweaver
    edited August 2009
    Options
    The thing with catshops blocking NPC...

I think it should be a quite easy thing to do - hear what's the solution:

There should be certain "Areas" around the NPC where it is impossible to put up the catshop. Let's say two meters around the NPC there's this area... And problem fixed.

And if they removed catboxes all together, people could go to the AH to sell and buy and none of what you proposed would be necessary.
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    unfortunately
    there'd be more players pissed about the removal of catshops
    than the lag
    so that won't work

but seriously besides the daily quest npc's
    you can just go to other parts of archosaur for your needs
    so i'm sure you can handle a little lag also turning down your settings will help
  • Serafimo - Sanctuary
    Serafimo - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    2 AH doesn't allow you to try on clothing..

Actually, it does now. The new patch added a Preview button in the AH window.
    [offering art commissions, pm for more]
  • SPC_Senge - Dreamweaver
    SPC_Senge - Dreamweaver Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Options
    This is great and all, but 1 problem with this thread. You won't change anything without a poll, because that's what the developers look at. They don't have time to go reading every post in a thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]