PWI Virus Found

Tigridia - Heavens Tear
Tigridia - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Support Desk
I was looking at my virus report from Norton and I saw this, and thought I'd post it up on here.

*Added link instead because picture was too large.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb152/Headstrong205/PWVirus.jpg
Post edited by Tigridia - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• TameThat - Sanctuary
    TameThat - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    If you actually took time to read the report, you would have see what has been detected has a "virus".

It says "Auto-Protect" which means it's something that will "auto-protect" himself from change or deletion. When you get a report like that, what you need to do first, is ask yourself if the program needs to have file that won't be modified or deleted. In the case of a game, especially online game, it's normal that these kind of mechanism are implemented.

Your anti-virus is just a dumb program that can't tell if a behavior is normal or no. It can only tell you that there is something that could potentially be something you don't want and why it things that. This is why in case like this, it will tell you "this file/program" can potentially be harmfull. It doesn't mean it's harmfull in anyway, it's just that it uses some protection mechanism that are similar to some virus that are harmfull.
    ~~~ My Guides ~~~

Mystical Tome (h ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250862)
    AOE Grinding with Venomancer (h ttp://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guide_to_AOE_Grinding_With_Venomancer)
  • Roxaspro - Dreamweaver
    Roxaspro - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    try using avast for anti virus.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Please see the AV info Stickie on these forums. Link in my signature.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.