Charm Packs and Dragon Orb Sale - Content Update

xarfox
xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
Greetings All,

As of this morning at 1am server time, several new sales have kicked off.

One is the return of the infamous Charm Pack. These are 5 packs of Gold Charms that include a bonus rainbow egg. Most notably, these charms can stack in your inventory, taking up considerably less space.

The second sale is a Dragon Orb Sale. Dragon Orb 1 Stars are now on sale for a discounted price, and for the first time ever, Dragon Orb 6 Stars are available in the shop for a limited time.

Official news announcements and launcher banners will be added later today, consider this an early announcement for our hardcore forum users. ;)

Finally, what we've all been waiting for, we'll be pushing a very large content update this week. We'll have a news story about all the new content, as well as patch notes available prior to maintenance today.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by xarfox on

Comments

• Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Wish you could add how long sale will last =o
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • Anirudh - Lost City
    Anirudh - Lost City Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the info Xarfoxb:thanks
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    @The GMS:

Is the content upgrade actually going to be implemented this week? As in we'll have access to the new features? Because if so, I commend you guys for finally doing it.

Though in case I have your attention now: could you guys please consider going back to the way you used to do things? We used to have small content patches every week, everything was a nice surprise, and so were the occasional boutique sales... key word "occasional." Now we have gaps of months in between content updates, it's all loaded on us at once so we can't appreciate it as well, and in the meantime we get absolutely no relief from gold prices spiking because there's a new gimmick in the boutique every week without a single break.

C'mon guys, you had a good thing going. Go back to it. :( Or at least do more ZEN bonus events so people will buy more gold... the supply-and-demand is getting a bit messed up here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Luv is in the Air!!!!

Thank You!!! b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    what is the discount on the dragon orbs? Pecentage wise?
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • lazyness
    lazyness Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    25-26%

10 chars
  • Nova_ - Harshlands
    Nova_ - Harshlands Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm Assuming dragon orbs will be discounted for a week?
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Exciting stuff. Looking forward to seeing what's new after maintenance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Was kind of hoping for something else 'little' instead of big rainbow eggs as the bonus, but it's still a nice discount on the charms :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    As nice as this sale is, do you have any word you can share about when "soon" is for expecting to see the mounts/pet packs on sale again since the last one ended early? I know a few people waiting to use gold on that before spending anything on something else.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    yey charm packs(still not pemanent eh? b:chuckle), but this is not the sale to makeup for this past weekends sale ending 23 hours early...is it?
  • xarfox
    xarfox Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    As nice as this sale is, do you have any word you can share about when "soon" is for expecting to see the mounts/pet packs on sale again since the last one ended early? I know a few people waiting to use gold on that before spending anything on something else.

You will see this sale soon. I promise you that. (And I never make promises. b:victory)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    xarfox wrote: »
    You will see this sale soon. I promise you that. (And I never make promises. b:victory)

b:cute...we like the change xarfox!!

b:heart
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Urbanpulse - Heavens Tear
    Urbanpulse - Heavens Tear Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    try to have a charm pack sale on one of the weeks i get payd lol kinda broke right this minute
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    @The GMS:

Is the content upgrade actually going to be implemented this week? As in we'll have access to the new features? Because if so, I commend you guys for finally doing it.

Though in case I have your attention now: could you guys please consider going back to the way you used to do things? We used to have small content patches every week, everything was a nice surprise, and so were the occasional boutique sales... key word "occasional." Now we have gaps of months in between content updates, it's all loaded on us at once so we can't appreciate it as well, and in the meantime we get absolutely no relief from gold prices spiking because there's a new gimmick in the boutique every week without a single break.

C'mon guys, you had a good thing going. Go back to it. :( Or at least do more ZEN bonus events so people will buy more gold... the supply-and-demand is getting a bit messed up here.

The Devs schedule is not centered around supporting the Gold market.
    It looks to me like they're trying to perfect doing *fewer* updates, pre-stacking future features, and firing off new features with timers, instead of a patch each time they want to change something.

Gold trading is a feature, not the game itself.

Red
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    The Devs schedule is not centered around supporting the Gold market.
    It looks to me like they're trying to perfect doing *fewer* updates, pre-stacking future features, and firing off new features with timers, instead of a patch each time they want to change something.

Gold trading is a feature, not the game itself.

Red
    Yes, their strategy is plain enough. :P I know that, I'm just taking issue with it. What's wrong with a weekly patch? With the exception of this last week, most patches take less than five minutes to apply.

As for the gold system... no, you're right, they don't give much attention to it. And they shouldn't, at least not directly - it is a market-based system after all. Supply and demand, and all that. But therein lies the kicker: the staff's actions have a large, if indirect, influence on that system... specifically the demand side.

15 gold at 150k each for one charm pack costs significantly more than 20 gold at 100k each (or am I the only one who remembers that gold prices used to be that low?). In short, whenever one of these boutique gimmicks appears, gold demand skyrockets so high that anyone buying it pays just as much for the item as they would without the sale/gimmick. And in the meantime, everyone else who wants to buy gold for purposes other than the gimmick gets screwed over. I've been needing storage materials (safe stones, cages, etc.) for at least a month now, but I'm not going to buy them at 140k per gold.

Really, the only players this benefits are the ones who spend actual money, to charge ZEN, to buy the shiny object du jour... and that's only if they convince themselves that said shiny object is worth, say $15 of real money. But wait, wasn't it $20 before? Who cares? Now it's 15, so that somehow makes the pixels on the screen worth more than the arbitrary value you originally assigned to them.

And what percentage of the player base purchases ZEN for the purposes of selling gold? 10%? 20%? Judging by the demand on gold, it seems rather low to me. But even at a generous estimate... at least half the charm-pack lovers in this game will try to buy their charm packs on coins, and get little to no value out of the sale.

Now to me, that seems like something PWE should pick up on. Who is this sale benefitting, besides PWE itself? Maybe high-level people who have a really big love of zhenning? That's about all I can think of.

Really for all my ranting, I feel like PWE can soothe the problem with one simple step: more ZEN bonuses! We had one this weekend with the mount sale, and as soon as it was announced, gold prices dipped from 150k to around 139k on HT. Why? Well as far as I could tell, it's because more people were buying ZEN. We need more weeks where ZEN bonuses are active without any particular sale... let the supply rise above the demand for once. PWE will make money either way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
  • Centetric - Lost City
    Centetric - Lost City Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    ummm this maybe askin for to much but will we have another Zhen sale >.> ................ ive been waitin to spend this 200$ but the sale ended early
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Through the darkness light can always emerge, it is only when the unwilling come upon this light that fear takes over. Emerging from this darkness takes more then courage, it takes faith in ones own mind and more importantly in ones own heart. To deny the light is to deny yourself the feeling of true happiness and true peace within your own soul. Denying your own happiness and your own soul is denying all that one has to live for."
    ~RedsRose
  • Spamalot - Heavens Tear
    Spamalot - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Permanent or not, charm packs WHOOPEE!! (tho 't would be good b:beg)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oops.
  • Crazydan - Heavens Tear
    Crazydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Step one get charm packs

step 2 dont let them leave
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    here in HT prices are same that before charm packs sale, bah!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    I'd have to disagree with you there. :P At least, as soon as the packs were announced, gold prices quickly rose from around 135k to around 150k and haven't left that mark since (though I haven't been on in a couple hours).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
  • Starrr - Harshlands
    Starrr - Harshlands Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    all these sales do is **** over people that dont either buy gold with real money or already have gold saved up. by the time inflation due to the sale happens the sale is meaningless.
    Staring at the wall is much more rewarding than playing PW.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    all these sales do is **** over people that dont either buy gold with real money or already have gold saved up. by the time inflation due to the sale happens the sale is meaningless.
    The sales are far from meaningless to me. They are my primary source of income at this point.

I buy when gold is low then wait for a sale and buy what's on sale. When the sale is over I then sell whatever was on sale at or below what it would cost to get it from the boutique. That's not getting screwed over, that's earning 20% or more profit for being patient, planning ahead, and using the basic principles of supply and demand.
    In short, whenever one of these boutique gimmicks appears, gold demand skyrockets so high that anyone buying it pays just as much for the item as they would without the sale/gimmick. And in the meantime, everyone else who wants to buy gold for purposes other than the gimmick gets screwed over. I've been needing storage materials (safe stones, cages, etc.) for at least a month now, but I'm not going to buy them at 140k per gold.
    This is simply not true. In fact, I bought gold during last month's storage sale and used it to purchase Cupboard Stones and Super Inventory Stones. Even though Gold prices were inflated at the time due to the sale, the cost for the storage items was much cheaper than they would be normally. After the sale I then re-sold them below what they would have cost to buy using the cheaper non-sale Gold prices, and still made a very decent profit.

The same is true of every sale that I have seen so far. Even with inflated Gold prices, it's always been significantly cheaper to buy the items using the inflated Gold during the sale anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    charms were 450k-500k before sale, now I can only find 480k-550k wtf x_x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Topnotch - Heavens Tear
    Topnotch - Heavens Tear Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yay another price raise for mijis -_-
    Seriously it makes no sense... hp packs come and gold price goes mad so its still the same 600k u pay for a charm -.-
    today i saw lowest sell was 190k and highest 225k OH MY DAYZ
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Today i saw a friggin SILVER HP charm for 450k. wtf?!
    Back.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yay another price raise for mijis -_-
    Seriously it makes no sense... hp packs come and gold price goes mad so its still the same 600k u pay for a charm -.-
    today i saw lowest sell was 190k and highest 225k OH MY DAYZ
    OK, I'm officially recanting my previous post! b:shocked

Gold is at 180k on Sanctuary, which is a jump of ~45% in 3 days. I honestly can't think of a rational reason to pay this much.

The upcoming Battle Pet Pack sale is only a 40% discount. The Charm Packs only give a 25% discount. The 6 Star Dragon Orbs are a 30% discount. The upcoming Big Patch is, well, I don't know and neither does anybody else.

None of these factors justifies such a huge jump. Either it's because they're all happening at once and the market has gone crazy (literally), or perhaps there's some sort of Duke Rose-ish market glitch that I don't know about. b:sad

- EDIT -

Wait... deep breath... relax... *calms down*

OK, upon checking my numbers I realize I've calculated things wrong. Even at 180k, the 40% discount for Battle Pet Packs is still better than 125k with no discount.

So the market HASN'T gone completely loopy, at least not yet, and my original post still has some validity to it. But it's pretty tenuous sanity at this point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    - Twilight Temple Act II: Symphony of Fate - Removed the bridge that leads to the Astralwalker. A new NPC will now teleport players across to the platform.

just hope they did it correctly and that we will not get killed as soon as the npc teleported us oO
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]
  • Shinta - Lost City
    Shinta - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Wish you could add how long sale will last =o

Assuming 2 weeks, since that's the norm. Or 1 week if business is slow b:surrender
    Allons-y!!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Whitescars - Heavens Tear
    Whitescars - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    its shows sale as 2 weeks for orbs packs.

and Jolly Old Jones is back in the new patch so does this mean hes here to stay as no time is shown and its in the new additions section ??