Crafting a money sink?

Elliannya - Heavens Tear
Elliannya - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
edited September 2009 in The Crafting Nook
I have a few low level characters now and I have tried every craft up to level 3. It seems to me that crafting is a money sink because the materials sell for more than the items crafted. I can't seem to sell the items I craft for more than the materials. Also I am getting armor and weapons from quests that are better than what I can craft. The only way I found to actually make some money crafting is by decomposing 2 star low level items and selling the yiyuan(sp) stones for 100 each. But I don't think I'm getting enough 2 star items. Am I missing something? Does crafting pay off at later levels?

Thanks for any input.
Post edited by Elliannya - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Crafting isn't to make money. It's so you can make your own higher level gear that can only be gotten with crafting.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Elliannya - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Okay thanks Zoe :)

That brings me to a couple other questions though. Are there no nice armor and weapons from quests/drops in later levels? Around what level does it become worth it to have crafting? I'm just wondering if it might be better to not craft for a while and pick it up later when I will hopefully have more money? Thanks for the replies.
  • Aeode - Sanctuary
    Aeode - Sanctuary Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    That brings me to a couple other questions though. Are there no nice armor and weapons from quests/drops in later levels? Around what level does it become worth it to have crafting? I'm just wondering if it might be better to not craft for a while and pick it up later when I will hopefully have more money? Thanks for the replies.

You can get mats for better weapons and armor from Twilight Temple from lvl 60. If you go to where General Summer is in Arch, there are a bunch of forges - check out the Twilight Temple forges for now as you will probably be wanting the weapons at least. You need balcksmith lvl 4 to make the 60 and 70 weapons, same with Tailor for armor (I believe). You'd probably still get good mob drops for armor but Twilight Temple is much better.

You're at the perfect level to farm purified oil too. Head to Hidden Orchid and grind on Tiger Striped Araneids, Backstabbing Scorpions and those purple spider dudes for a while as the drop rate for purified oil isn't bad at all. Make the most of it now because if you leave it for later on, the drop rate will suck hardcore and you'll pretty much have no option but to buy.

Also, there's a lot of running around north of Arch at the moment for quests from Flag Hill up to Anglers - there are plenty of nodes all over this route so keeping your eyes peeled and using a mount (if you have one) rather than flying will mean you'll end up with a fair number of the mats you'll need without going out of your way.

As you get into your 30s, the mobs around Allies Camp (I think) - the Dustwraith Sentinels and Lupine Beserkers - drop concentrated glue and I think also silk thread. The skeleranc craftsmen nearby and ossein guards also drop silk thread, I think.

While you can far for purified oil, if you can start trying to manufacture the 2 star items you'll need for the different skills now, you can always go back and farm more oil if you run out so now would be a good time to get on it.

Lastly, check out PW Database at http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/ to look up any mats you need for a detailed list of which mobs drop them or where the nodes are located.
  • Aya__ - Heavens Tear
    Aya__ - Heavens Tear Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Crafting can be used to make money too, just not on low level items, I think start at 6 lvl items, maybe at nice 5 lvl.
    If you are lucky and craft *** item it will go for a good money on AH. If you make ** or even * with nice bonuses they can sell well too. And if you are able to make ** items needed for 4 and 6 lvl crafting quests you can make good money on them, as many people would try to buy them instead of crafting by themselves (and I understand them, got pendant at 11th try and was quite annoyed by then :/ glad other item werent that bad).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Elliannya - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the tips. b:pleased
  • mooman321
    mooman321 Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm level 30. I agree actually crafting is a money sink so far. The money maker comes when you sell all your extra mats once you've surpassed the level that you need them. You're already collecting ores,herbs,thread, oil and wood so they are taking up inventory space anyway. Collect everything! and once you no longer need that huge stack of pig iron or coal, you will be surprised how much it sells for doing one night as a cat shop with decent prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Fareed_ - Heavens Tear
    _Fareed_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    thx for posting these questions :) i had similair questions myself.thx for the tips much needed. b:victory
  • BludShot - Lost City
    BludShot - Lost City Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    haha EVERYTHING in this game is a money sink
    b:surrender