Do Atheists Make the Best Clerics? Lol

G_ree_n - Sanctuary
G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Cleric
Sorry about the provocative title, b:chuckle but the discussion I really want to have here is about trust/faith in clerics, or whether or not you inspire trust or faith in your faction members and the people you commonly squad with. What I mean by trust is, are you the one they always invite to FBs and such because they know you will do your best to keep them alive (barring any unforeseen idiocy by other squad members) or do they usually try to get someone else first?

I'd also like to discuss my true motivation for making a cleric: I originally said that I just wanted to fly at lvl 1 (lol) but now that I really think about it, I stuck with the cleric because I myself didn't trust other people to keep me alive in squads. I've played all the other classes and there is definitely a feeling of vulnerability when you put your pixel life in another player's hands, especially with the multitude of things that can go wrong.

Basically what I want to know here is, are you the kind of cleric that people can have faith in and did you become that cleric because of a lack of faith in others?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
Post edited by G_ree_n - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I thought that people who don't trust others become venos.b:question
  • Lenyel - Harshlands
    Lenyel - Harshlands Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Must be honest... I wanted to make a pure wizard, but caus of my noobity i didnt find "wizard" class on humans (i seemed humans could be only blademasters :P) so i made cleric... And i loved to be able to fly and to oneshot first monsters.

Growing on i liked to make buffs and heal poor classes that cannot make else than deal damage (often low damages :P), getting many "ty" but laughing at their back ahahahaha... Ok, i'm joking.

Ehr.. in a party you can trust me? Of course if i like you... If you are not kind... I will probably be afk when your hp will be smashed down :D
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    I thought that people who don't trust others become venos.b:question
    Nothing against venos, but I need something a bit more challenging. I have a lvl 45 veno and it feels like playing a video game with all the cheat codes enabled.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Terraa - Lost City
    Terraa - Lost City Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I've been playing a healing class in video games for 7 years, and I can't imagine myself playing anything else; this is just my strongest role. When I read that clerics were the premiere healing class, with wizards having the only other target heal (at 4.5 second cast, no less!) I figured my choice was already made for me.

My best friend plays a barbarian, though; this influenced my choice more than anything else. I got lucky with the class I wanted to play in the first place, because I really just don't trust other clerics with the ability to handle and control heals and heal agro like I've been trained to do.

That's not to say there aren't stellar clerics, though. I made my choice under the assumption before even playing the game that there will be other clerics, and 113% of them will not know how to heal. I turned out to be wrong, which is a great relief to me; most of them tend to like playing the support role, and keep my tank topped off through 6 TT runs in a row. This is awesome for me; it leaves me in the crowd control part of the game, and also the melee-when-bored part of the game. Saves charm and entertains at the same time. Leet!

I won't go anymore into this, because I already sound like I'm self-stroking here. I'll have to get someone else to come stroke for me, if they can figure out where the forums are. He can tell you how much faith he has in me. But in essence: I am a cleric because that's how I roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    yes lol i do not thrust other ppl on keping me alive thats probably mi main reason i went roling a cleric
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lairian - Sanctuary
    Lairian - Sanctuary Posts: 8,209 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I chose a cleric since I will usually play either a healer, or a mage for my games. For this one, my choice was cemented by the wings b:laugh. Overall, I consider myself a fairly average cleric. I feel that I can be trusted to do my job, but there are those that may be better for particularly difficult situations. But, regardless of whether I feel up to the task or not, if someone needs me, I'll do my best. And isn't that the first step to becoming a truly trusted cleric?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Be nice to people
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    That's not to say there aren't stellar clerics, though. I made my choice under the assumption before even playing the game that there will be other clerics, and 113% of them will not know how to heal. I turned out to be wrong, which is a great relief to me; most of them tend to like playing the support role, and keep my tank topped off through 6 TT runs in a row.
    Thank you for posting. I understand what you're saying here too. Sometimes I've been in squads with other clerics that made me feel completely useless because they've done something like stack ironheart on a careless archer that was about to aggro a group of mobs or a veno that is out of mana and needs cast Soul Transfusion. Some clerics are so experienced that they seem to act out of reflex.

Others are not, and we've all had encounters with them, so I needn't go on about it.

With the lack of trust issue I completely understand where you are coming from. All of my alts have loads of bosses needed because I am pretty much the only cleric I trust. My veno had FB 39 tabs for almost a month before I just PMed some lvl 90 to "solo" it for me. b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Monochrom - Sanctuary
    Monochrom - Sanctuary Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I started with my Cleric because i wanted the difference of the char I'm playing normally, because there were no Great Swords available in this game lol.
    Normally I'm always the "Warrior" class with the huge good-looking swords b:laugh

After testin' all classes, I figured out that a Cleric's kinda good at soloing, popular in squads and even very good for dueling (last point I really love).

For the title of the thread :
    I got told that I'm pretty good in the way to handle my class in squads and in dueling, and I'm atheist. lol
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    After testin' all classes, I figured out that a Cleric's kinda good at soloing, popular in squads and even very good for dueling (last point I really love).

For the title of the thread :
    I got told that I'm pretty good in the way to handle my class in squads and in dueling, and I'm atheist. lol
    It's nice to talk to someone else who has tested out all the other classes. I think being somewhat familiar with the other classes capabilities has helped me be a better cleric. And yes, its usually pretty easy to get a squad, if you actually need to. Although I've never been good at dueling, just never gotten the hang of it ...

Lol the atheist thing was just meant to get people's attention, but it's nice to know that its true for at least one person. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    Kott - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Sanctuary's Nr# Fail Cleric here b:bye b:pleased

Just wanted to be an elf cause they are cool, but didn't choose an archer for some reason (pretty sorry now ;_; me wants to be a DD!). I had no idea what a cleric is about before I started, so blah, it's still fun.

lol Ppl have to put faith in me, since they don't exactly have any other choice, so be nice to the priest, or else >:3

Oh btw.... <--- atheist lol b:chuckle
  • yasii
    yasii Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    lol I wanted wings to fly from the start too! (lvl30 seemed sooooo far away XD) thats why it was either EP or EA. I chose EP because it seemed they could do pretty much everything- heal/revive/debuff/magic damage/phys damage....... which is a good extra, but not as important as the pretty white wings! b:thanks
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Well the reason I first made a cleric was because in my old faction, we desperately needed clerics. But somehow, I switched from having different mains a week to my cleric. Its just like the cleric side of me (whatever if its cheesy =P) came out at the time.

But yeah :3 The only thing is I don't exactly trust a few clerics, since some of them don't even have/know what revive is and another is that well... They don't like to heal me since they think I can heal myself and others AND attack things at the same time... b:shocked

Though I do trust everyone in my new faction and hopefully the trust will stay b:victory and besides... We have more clerics in our new faction than even bms....

Yeah, I trust people a lot :)
    b:bye
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Neonz - Lost City
    Neonz - Lost City Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    people who wont put up with BS gennerally make the best clerics; a cleric needs to know their limmits how to take care of a pt and how to handle people who dont listen to the tank, you dont listen, well you die, and it will be your falt not the tanks or the clerics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Boojangles has a fetish with brambles o.O

---R-E-T-I-R-E-D----
    So troll elsewhere
  • Auraelia - Lost City
    Auraelia - Lost City Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I tried to be a trustworthy cleric. I always gave full attention and made sure I was prepared. I'm not quite sure how others felt about my cleric skills. I haven't been denied party invites before for others.

No, I didn't become a cleric because I was worried about others not healing properly. I did it because the group of friends I started with all wanted to be other classes. So I sucked it up and went for this. It turned out to be very fun. :3
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    What does playing a Cleric have to do with Atheisism?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Ninnuam - Sanctuary
    Ninnuam - Sanctuary Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I don't trust random clerics (or people in general for that matter) in pug groups, which is why I avoid them unless it's a lower level fb where I know I can pretty much solo everything. Random TTs on the other hand are something I stopped doing in my early 60s though.

As for me, I can be a good cleric when I feel like it =P 2-3 solo cleric with barely any charm ticks ftw (providing we don't miss lightning chaser too often lol). Although I've been known to be evil and let some friends charm tank a boss for fun, so yeah =P b:laugh

Oh and not an atheist per se, more of an eclectic I guess xd
    b:dirty
  • Terraa - Lost City
    Terraa - Lost City Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I don't trust random clerics (or people in general for that matter) in pug groups, which is why I avoid them unless it's a lower level fb where I know I can pretty much solo everything. Random TTs on the other hand are something I stopped doing in my early 60s though.

As for me, I can be a good cleric when I feel like it =P 2-3 solo cleric with barely any charm ticks ftw (providing we don't miss lightning chaser too often lol). Although I've been known to be evil and let some friends charm tank a boss for fun, so yeah =P b:laugh

Oh and not an atheist per se, more of an eclectic I guess xd

I like to do the same thing, most especially to BMs who over-agro and then seriously get agitated when their charm ticks.

Does that infuriate anybody else? My charm ticks every 7 heals, this guy's upset at me because the barb wasn't meeting his standards.

I usually point out to them that my charm ticks infinitely more than theirs does, and then I tell the barb to stop holding agro. The beauty comes when the BM doesn't whine about his charm ticking after the rezz ;-)

Anyway, stating this knowing full well that G_ree_n made the thread's title purely for trolling purposes, I'm an atheist; however, my skill or reaction times haven't been a supplement nor a cause of such, as I'm certain there's another cleric that plays this class as well as I do (there's that horn-tooting again) with some kind of belief of some sort.

Anyway, inb4 jihad, I'm gonna go listen to some heavy metal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    ...ya....i am a atheist..lol always was....:P

KoTT stop stalking me b:angry

<.<...........lol...WTS PERSONAL STALKER 8 MIL :P
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver
    GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Sorry about the provocative title, b:chuckle but the discussion I really want to have here is about trust/faith in clerics, or whether or not you inspire trust or faith in your faction members and the people you commonly squad with. What I mean by trust is, are you the one they always invite to FBs and such because they know you will do your best to keep them alive (barring any unforeseen idiocy by other squad members) or do they usually try to get someone else first?

I'd also like to discuss my true motivation for making a cleric: I originally said that I just wanted to fly at lvl 1 (lol) but now that I really think about it, I stuck with the cleric because I myself didn't trust other people to keep me alive in squads. I've played all the other classes and there is definitely a feeling of vulnerability when you put your pixel life in another player's hands, especially with the multitude of things that can go wrong.

Basically what I want to know here is, are you the kind of cleric that people can have faith in and did you become that cleric because of a lack of faith in others?

I thought this too. And made a cleric and lvled it to 54 then decided... Ill keep myself alive in squad with charms and pot, so i made a barb (Which i must say is my new main character)
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Anyway, stating this knowing full well that G_ree_n made the thread's title purely for trolling purposes
    WHO ME?? b:chuckle

@BeingHope That's just nooby players. If they were venos, they wouldn't know how to pet pull and if they were barbs, they wouldn't know how to get True Form.

@Neonz Well said. The best clerics I know are some of the most no nonsense people I've ever met online.

@MystiMonk Nothing, it's just a joke.

I've been in some squads with tanks that obviously did not have faith in clerics. I've seen them use pots and apoth powders in addition to their hp charms, sometimes throughout the entire run, if not just the beginning to see if I sucked at healing or not. I've been fortunate enough to not get a grumpy barb or BM in a squad that complains about his charm tickage, but I imagine it's just a matter of time ... (BTW, MP charms tick more because they tick at 75%, as opposed to HP charm's 50%)

But yes, BMs or barbs who overaggro take the cake. Even if they don't complain about their charm, this is an impossible situation for any cleric, especially if they have run really far ahead of the rest of the group to do it. Patience is key to a successful cleric/tank relationship. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Dunno bout the rest, but my cleric is lvl 3x and I've been invited to do lvl 4x quest and kill Chang (need to stay away of his AoE) a few times with me beign the only cleric.

I think as long you demonstrate you know how to roll your character, other players will start trust in you and your skills enough to become the first choice when they need to do a squad.

Btw, the title reminded me I have this picture, somewhat related b:chuckle

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4710/1245863920673.gif
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Btw, the title reminded me I have this picture, somewhat related b:chuckle

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/4710/1245863920673.gif
    LOL b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Llyanka - Harshlands
    Llyanka - Harshlands Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    lolz D&D christianity, love it :)

I rolled a cleric because I wanted to be able to rez *grin* and fly, and I love elves. but then I read some stuff about how they are uber solo'rs and pk'rs - peaked my interest that did.

As my character has grown, however, I have just fallen more an more in love with what I can do - lolz I solo'd Suzerix at 46 b:laugh made me so happy b:pleased

I guess I'ma good cleric - the only time you die in my group is when I lag (which is very infrequent) or you aggro too many mobs.

I haven't grouped with very many other clerics... and the ones I have grouped with... the majority sucked, I know that's harsh but it's true b:sad Had to teach one cleric the value of IH *shakes head*

I am really looking forward to my higher lvls, especially when I can get Blue Bubble and do true zhen parties. woot!

As to the title, I'm a christian - baptist to be exact, but that doesn't affect my healing skills - heh... I love to help people, IG and RL - its m'nature b:victory
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I think this would be more skill related than anything atheist or religious. You can be pure atheist or be totally religious and be the suckiest cleric around. You will not inspire any kind of faith in anyone that way regarding party invites.
    chose cleric because most healer classes that can do a reasonable amount of dmg in one spell, can be tweaked with gears to be THE solo class. (altho in PWI thats the veno, and clerics falls in 2nd)
    Not sure if they have faith in me. b:pleased But I became what I am from doing endgame in FFXI, where stacking diff. stats and gears to the extreme reverse a class roll 180 degrees.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    As I've said in a few other posts in this topic, the title is a joke, simply mean to get people's attention. I don't honestly think people's real life religious affiliation has any bearing on their healing skills in an online game. I just thought it sounded funny. b:surrender

And yes, if the cleric hadn't been so easy to play solo, I wouldn't have stuck with it. My highest level alt is a veno, but as I've also said earlier, it just seems too easy. Bearing in mind that I don't pk with any of my characters--I've never been into pking in any game I've played, it's just not my thing--questing with the veno just seems really boring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Also I think Clerics HAVE to belive in a certain deity of PW in order to do healing and raise the dead (and I mean the character, not the person behind the keyboard).

I don't think PW atheist could do miracle healings since they don't believe on mystical powers that comes from unexistent gods... b:pleased
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I don't think PW atheist could do miracle healings since they don't believe on mystical powers that comes from unexistent gods... b:pleased
    lv 1 ress ftw
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • BeingHope - Harshlands
    BeingHope - Harshlands Posts: 5,013 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Lol.......... But I know some non-religious people that are really good clerics but don't believe in a religion lol..... I'm not atheist though lol I'm agnostic since its more.... <.< Open to ideas lol b:chuckle

But the problem is that some people who are atheist don't believe in ressurection while some people who are in a religion think its not right for ressurection... Its a complicated cycle, each side can think the same thing but in a different way.... b:sweat

Also, some people just ignore the stuff that might some how relate to this topic so they just play the game like any person would do. =P Yeah lol
    b:bye
    [SIGPIC]http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad175/beinghope/beinghopesiggie.png[/SIGPIC]
    I forgot!!! Thanks forsaken for the signature b:cute
    b:chuckle I love huge catshops LOL b:laugh
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    edited August 2009
    i do not acknoledge(did i tipe this right o.o?) god....

i do not pray or anything but im a good cleric....when i want to....when i dun want to i let ppl die.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sangodoc - Dreamweaver
    Sangodoc - Dreamweaver Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I just picked cleric because I love helping people. (Gosh that sounds dopey. b:shy )

I like being able to fly around and randomly save people by tossing in a few heals. Handing out buffs to random people is fun too.

Still, I tend to do a lot of solo stuff and I'm only level 34 currently, so I haven't done a lot of squads for quests. I've read how they should be done properly, so that way I'll be able to do it right when it's necessary. (My FB19+FB29 experience was just being dragged around by a high level group so fast it made my head spin, and then they took off with the drops. b:cry )

Anyways, I plan to be a good cleric. Oh, and I'm an atheist too. b:laugh