Barbs can't tank?

Levalt - Sanctuary
Levalt - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Barbarian
Right, I know the purpose of a Barbarian is to tank, yes?

I was fighting the Bloodthirst Cadaver in a squad, and it was me, a Blademaster, a Veno and a Cleric. The Cleric was comlaining that I was taking too much damage (the entire point of my existence >.>) and so I backed off to shut her up, and the Cadaver started attacking the Blademaster. When i healed up and was going to go back in, she said to keep out of it cause the blademaster was doing much better as a Tank (eaiser to heal and whatnot), and I was left out of it, standing around like a idiot. Can someone tell me why?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I like the fact that I've played this game for 3 days and it's more powerful than my elite
Guild Wars character." - Womack
Post edited by Levalt - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Amiris - Sanctuary
    Amiris - Sanctuary Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    First of all, BC is a magic monster. It deals magic damage. Barbarians aren't best suited to tank that. Neither are BM's though.
    I don't know why the BM was a 'better tank'. Maybe he was a higher lvl or had better equipment. But BM's are generally not good at tanking, for the simple reason that they can't hold aggro. The only way they have to keep a monster on them, is damage. Barbarians have skills aimed at holding monsters on them. That's what makes a good tank.
    From my point of view, you didn't suck or anything. The cleric did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit to Symour for the signature.
    Amiris is my forum character. My actual main is Andralia.
    1,000 posts as of 10/01/09, which was also my birthday!
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Blademasters work as better tanks if they're alone with a cleric, due to their sutras. If there are other DD's there, blademasters will suck since they can't hold aggro as well as a barbarian can with flesh ream spam. They'll also suck more at HH since those bosses are [?] level and thus will be very close to ignoring your defense, so a barbarian's higher hp will be much more useful there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xanthir - Sanctuary
    Xanthir - Sanctuary Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    ahaha senovit. you're no tank.

Yeah, our aggro skills won BMs. Sounds like a crappy cleric to me.
  • Monarch - Lost City
    Monarch - Lost City Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    The BM was obviously using the Magic Marrow Sutra.. hence taking less damage. Don't feel bad. Its one reason we BM's have the skill.
    It takes a big man to cry, but a bigger man to laugh at him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Guild: Outlaw
  • noobcake4lyfe
    noobcake4lyfe Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Man dnt feel bad that cleric was a noob. I assume you hav heavy armor so ur mag def is low thats normal. You hav high hp so you can afford to hav low mag def. As far as the BM goes he definaly had his Sutra on and probaly light armor which means he had way more mag def than you, but if the boss were a phy att then that cleric would hav been like gg tank. But yea the cleric was a noob and you were doing evrything right.
    "Avarice, Envy, Lust, Pride, Wrath, Sloth, Gluttony"

"We 7 shall corrupt this Perfect World..."b:sin
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    When i healed up and was going to go back in, she said to keep out of it cause the blademaster was doing much better as a Tank (eaiser to heal and whatnot), and I was left out of it, standing around like a idiot. Can someone tell me why?

That bit there tells me that the cleric's still rather new to healing different classes.

Maybe she was going by the HP bar, as to how "difficult" you were to heal. The BM's HP bar will fill up quicker due to the lower HP, and might give the appearance that he was healing quicker???

Also as already stated the magical defense for a barb is rather low and Cadaver is a magical attack mob. A BM with light armor may have a lot more magical defense than a barb many levels higher in heavy armor.

Not a big deal really. Wait till you go up against physical bosses like Farng or Kirrix. Then it will be "go tank, get in there, the BMs getting slaughtered" (no offense intended to any BMs b:pleased). And 80% of mob attacks are physical so we barbs still have our place in the party.
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Levalt - Sanctuary
    Levalt - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    Right, thank you all for the explaination. Glad that all that kinks were ironed out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I like the fact that I've played this game for 3 days and it's more powerful than my elite
    Guild Wars character." - Womack
  • CrimsonCrime - Sanctuary
    CrimsonCrime - Sanctuary Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited November 2008
    The cleric sucked thats it.
    b:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angry
  • hiachisama
    hiachisama Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I wasnt gonna post but i couldnt resist b:laugh
    Quote from my friend Reneta: "Barbs? Bane why u a barb? Theyre awesome but everyone else lets them get beaten to a pulp so they can finish quests. Man your gonna have to tank big style my wolfie friend"
    (Btw Reneta= lvl 50 veno and I'm a lvl 32 Barbarian)
    I think that sums up what a barb is meant to do
    Barb= Meat Shield b:victory

b:bye
    Wolfsbane lvl 32 Barb
  • Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Necro FTLb:shocked
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    Yulk - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,951 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    First of all, BC is a magic monster. It deals magic damage. Barbarians aren't best suited to tank that. Neither are BM's though.
    I don't know why the BM was a 'better tank'. Maybe he was a higher lvl or had better equipment. But BM's are generally not good at tanking, for the simple reason that they can't hold aggro. The only way they have to keep a monster on them, is damage. Barbarians have skills aimed at holding monsters on them. That's what makes a good tank.
    From my point of view, you didn't suck or anything. The cleric did.

For those people out there, a BM will never tank better than a barb even IF the BM have slightly better gears than the barb. My barb easily soloed that at LVL29. Like this person said it was that he was either higher LVLed or just better gears suited for that elite (wood resistance).... a BM would get hurt from magic mobs even more than the barb does, so don't think that barbs are underpowered we are the best tanks and soloists. and lol necro
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks for Flauschkatze for siggy b:cool

VIT > STR > DEX > MAG... GG
    HA > LA > AR... GG

HA + VIT = win b:bye
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    at very low levels bms are better for tanking
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    at very low levels bms are better for tanking

That ain't true man O_O, if BMs at low LVLs better for tanking... then why am I more likely asked to help with quests and tank mobs / bosses. First of all even if the barb and BM have same build, same gears, by LVL9 the barb out tanks the BM because of true form, but BM kills faster than a barb in true form. I soloed those mini bosses as a barb and tanked an FB boss no problem. I been asked to help and tank many times even from a BM... since like LVL10+ I barely failed in tanking at all

I have a theory that BMs are better soloists than barbarians
    But the fact is that barbarians are better tanks than BMs (after LVL9)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG

• Uiztrollin - Harshlands
    Uiztrollin - Harshlands Posts: 358 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    For those people out there, a BM will never tank better than a barb even IF the BM have slightly better gears than the barb. My barb easily soloed that at LVL29. Like this person said it was that he was either higher LVLed or just better gears suited for that elite (wood resistance).... a BM would get hurt from magic mobs even more than the barb does, so don't think that barbs are underpowered we are the best tanks and soloists. and lol necro

I lold ..............
  • Yulk - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    I lold ..............

lol this is ur alt char? But its true man, even with same build and same gears... BM gets hurt more. And no, I ain't trolling b:laugh...

Lets say... both have the same stats, same gears... and guess what? Barbarians can increase HP with true form. Also there is a skill that can ward off magic (beastial rage if having less than 50% health) barbs can defend magic better. + true form have better DEF and on top of that solid shield reducing DMG and invoke the spirit as well. Barbs are tanks for a reason. Thats why the skills are there.

Now BMs can tank great and save themselves from damage too...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HA > LA > AR... GG