PWI Updater and Norton 360

Amoo - Sanctuary
Amoo - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited August 2009 in Support Desk
EDIT - Reopening thread because other people are having the same problem and apparently it's happening to me again too (I took auto-'protect' off in the meantime)

Hi, I'm kinda having a problem with my updater.

I opened up the Perfect World Patcher just a few minutes ago, and I got a peculiar message from Norton 360 (I have version 3) telling me that it has blocked a trojan horse, and I also noticed that the patcher had failed to check my version. So, I tried to run verify, same thing happens. I reopen the patcher, same thing.

Now, of course, since Norton is one of the wost and least user-friendly security system that I've ever used, it won't let me allow this supposed virus to run on my computer, so I'm stuck at what to do now. I'm running Windows XP, if that helps.
Post edited by Amoo - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Belial - Heavens Tear
    Belial - Heavens Tear Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Alternative AntiVirus programmes which are free and work well are AVG (I use this) and I think Avast is one too.
  • I_M_Fugly - Sanctuary
    I_M_Fugly - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yup. My Norton Internet Security is blocking the updater as well.

It's calling the X:\...\...\config\pid.sw file a trojan horse.

It worked fine at about 23:00 CDT last night. So any suggestions short of killing Norton? I've heard all the anti Norton stuff - resource hog, yadda, yadda, yadda -, but I've never had a problem in the more than 10 years I've used it. I'm not planning on deleting it any time soon.
  • Dream - Harshlands
    Dream - Harshlands Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Same problem here.
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Norton sucks. Even free anti viruses such as avg and avast! are better. I had norton for a few weeks, uninstalled it.
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Hi Guys,

Please see the Antivirus info in the link in my signature for the programs that run that you need to add exceptions for.

IF that other program is part of the patcher when it is running, then add an exception for that too.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • FlyingDutchi - Sanctuary
    FlyingDutchi - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    It's calling the X:\...\...\config\pid.sw file a trojan horse.

Is it a real trojan horse that is trying to get on my computer or is it safe?

Because on another computer (got a new computer) I downloaded Perfect World International. I tried to delete the game, because my dad wants to use that computer. But now I can't delete it. Maybe it's because of that file?
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Please review the info about antivirus issue here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=850742&postcount=18

Please note that in my personal experience, Norton has been an evil program that has its own program to uninstall it, because you can't uninstall it the regular way like every other program on the planet.

It is resource hoggy, and nosy, IMHO.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
  • numa101
    numa101 Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I use Mcfee Security and it lets me play PW with out any problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Credit to Swiftail, thank you for the awesome sig.
This discussion has been closed.