pure int pve

Options
XBerserkZ - Sanctuary
XBerserkZ - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Wizard
as i'm on a pve server, pve is more of my focus for now, until end game.

i've read both pandora and seraphim's guides, but there are some question still remains to be answered.

1) seraphim suggests pure int for pve server due to more damage and killing things off before they get to you. however, from my experience in zhen, fb and TTs, pure int just doesn't stand against the constant physical damage from zhen, and the continuous physical aoe from bosses in fb and TT, however, LA wiz can. i haven't tried rb yet, but how does a pure int do in rb when there's waves of mobs?

2)i know refining and sharding can lower such problems, however, isn't refining and sharding a waste of money before lvl 80 and even some say 90? so as which point do you suggest sharding and refining gears?

yes i do want to do a lot of damage, however, i don't want to die all the time. especially when in instances. yes, a pure int wiz does more damage than other builds, however, a dead wiz does no damage. it is hard enough for a wiz to find parties already, keep dying in parties will just lower the chance of getting a party even more.

i'd really like to hear your opinions on these issues. thank you
Post edited by XBerserkZ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• ShadowDrag - Lost City
    ShadowDrag - Lost City Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    in pve severs there is nooo way you should ever go LA, La build was made for pvp due to mages poor def and hp at lvs under 90, against mobs pure wizardsshould kill them b4 they reach like u said and no, refining and shards are not really a waste as they in a pve sever makes u kill faster which = faster lving for zhening, pure wizards do fine since blue bubble heals very well, i cant say much in rebirths cuz iv nvr done any fb and tts, wizards do fine if u kno how to play, mages are a dd class, a mage will nvr tank a fb with a phy attack boss around the same lv (thats what tanks are for) and lastly why does it seem like every1 says wizzys cant find parties ppl wana kill fast, dont they? i get pts easily, and what u said about how u like the damage.. just hit chin for 41k no crit no amps, just my crappy lv 5 BT ( should be at lv 9)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    in pve severs there is nooo way you should ever go LA, La build was made for pvp due to mages poor def and hp at lvs under 90, against mobs pure wizardsshould kill them b4 they reach like u said and no, refining and shards are not really a waste as they in a pve sever makes u kill faster which = faster lving for zhening, pure wizards do fine since blue bubble heals very well, i cant say much in rebirths cuz iv nvr done any fb and tts, wizards do fine if u kno how to play, mages are a dd class, a mage will nvr tank a fb with a phy attack boss around the same lv (thats what tanks are for) and lastly why does it seem like every1 says wizzys cant find parties ppl wana kill fast, dont they? i get pts easily, and what u said about how u like the damage.. just hit chin for 41k no crit no amps, just my crappy lv 5 BT ( should be at lv 9)

Pure robe wizards can't zhen, can't survive TT aoe, and can't survive RB gamma. You'll lvl a lot slower and be poorer if you just grind the whole time and not RB. LA or hybird vit wizards are the way to go for PVE, since so many PVE team activities requires it. Pure robe wizard are the way to go for PVP, especially after lvl 90. Much higher spike damage, refined gear, and balance changes in robes at endgame makes pure wizards very potent in PVP. You should not focus on PVP before endgame. PW is not a PVP game, you can't lvl on pk, there's hardly any chance of getting a drop, and cost of angels are high.

In dungeons, overly high spike damage serves nothing other than pulling aggro and result in squad wipe. A wizard's high spike damage is not the same as veno's high dps, which is divided between caster and pet, and is much less likely to pull aggro. Nuke wizards do more harm than good in parties.

As for refining and sharding, it's a matter of degree. Moderate refining (+3 or so) and sharding (beautiful shards of lower) don't really cost that much anyway, and can make your life easier until endgame.
  • Ishmah - Sanctuary
    Ishmah - Sanctuary Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I've played a pure wiz PvE the whole way.

Zhen is out of the question until you have tt90 gear in my opinion.
    I've never done a RB as groups will only take LA wiz. (Have many delta orders now ready to go)
    TT is not a problem. If you are assisting the main tank there is no reason why you would get hit. Some phys. aoe's can be a problem but with BB & good pots it can be overcome. Keeping crit low, and magic high makes for consistent damage which helps judge how hard you can go before having to back off.
    Grinding is fast but can make it more of a solo game.
    As far as refining & sharding goes, it all helps. Do as much as you can comfortably afford. (My gear is +3 & weapon +5. In lower levels armor was only +1 and weapon about +3/+4. I don't use real money in game so my options were limited).
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I've played a pure wiz PvE the whole way.

Zhen is out of the question until you have tt90 gear in my opinion.
    I've never done a RB as groups will only take LA wiz. (Have many delta orders now ready to go)
    TT is not a problem. If you are assisting the main tank there is no reason why you would get hit. Some phys. aoe's can be a problem but with BB & good pots it can be overcome. Keeping crit low, and magic high makes for consistent damage which helps judge how hard you can go before having to back off.
    Grinding is fast but can make it more of a solo game.
    As far as refining & sharding goes, it all helps. Do as much as you can comfortably afford. (My gear is +3 & weapon +5. In lower levels armor was only +1 and weapon about +3/+4. I don't use real money in game so my options were limited).

TT bosses that aoe is definitely a problem for pure robe wizards. TT1-3 Soul Banisher requires at least 4k hp buffed for robes to not get one hit, even with BB damage reduction. RB gamma final boss requires 5k. Physical aoe kill robes.
  • Ishmah - Sanctuary
    Ishmah - Sanctuary Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    TT bosses that aoe is definitely a problem for pure robe wizards. TT1-3 Soul Banisher requires at least 4k hp buffed for robes to not get one hit, even with BB damage reduction. RB gamma final boss requires 5k. Physical aoe kill robes.

I can only talk from my own experience, based on my gear & build. BB + orbs + jioaxi (sp?)....it can be done.
  • Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    A lot of robe players run terrible gear. TT1-3 soulbanisher ticks my charm maybe 1-2 times at the end, and I've completed RB Gamma. I have 3840 hp with barb buff, and a 51% pdef reduction with just Stone Barrier. Those are more than enough, actually.

Don't settle for trash like Steppenwolf Cape, just get good pdef and hp adds. Also, use pdef ornaments, not terrible -% chan ones.
    edited July 2009
    Options
    A lot of robe players run terrible gear. TT1-3 soulbanisher ticks my charm maybe 1-2 times at the end, and I've completed RB Gamma. I have 3840 hp with barb buff, and a 51% pdef reduction with just Stone Barrier. Those are more than enough, actually.

Don't settle for trash like Steppenwolf Cape, just get good pdef and hp adds. Also, use pdef ornaments, not terrible -% chan ones.

51% is very high for robes. Besides, 3840hp is almost 4k anyway.b:chuckle

But yeah, -%chan stuff suck, but i need them so herc can live.b:surrender
  • Calliope - Heavens Tear
    Calliope - Heavens Tear Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    It's almost 4k hp, but it was lower when I fought Soulbanisher, and it's nowhere near the 5k hp "needed" for Rebirth.

51% pdef might be high, but that's only because people don't take the time to look around for good robe gear. I have a couple pieces with 3 hp/pdef adds, the rest have just 2--I'd be looking to upgrade the bad ones if I wasn't so close to 90. I shard average citrines, and I've +2'd most of my gear by now. Oh, and I ran Sakyamuni's Light and now Yaksa, those give a nice boost.

Again, this is just my own experience, but with careful attention to gear, some jiaozi, and good genie skills (blood clot is key), it's really no problem for a pure wizard to survive the double wave, the final RB boss, or any of the other "tough" physical damage situations.
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    4k's what people like to see for Gamma, 5k is for Delta.

If your LA then you should have the genie immunities for at least wood and metal(Certain mobs like to completely remove elemental resistance). As pure build you need blood clot/cauterize.

The main issue is getting a good barb who can hold aggro. I saw them use every aggro skill in 5 seconds meaning they had the whole cooldown to wait before they could take them off me again. Jiaozi's becoming hard to find on sanc because of RB, as well as black henbane/red berries etc.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • blosk
    blosk Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I read the boards all the time, but I've never actually posted before. >.>

At this point, I'm tired of hearing this **** about robe wiz not being able to manage the things an LA wiz can. I'm a pure int wiz lvl 82 with 5 vit (with gear off). After you hit lvl 80, you can get nearly the same hp and pdef as any LA wiz.

I'm wearing spirit eater chest, legs, and boots. BAM! Unrefined thats an additional 360hp. Refined to where mine are, I get 740 hp. No, they're not cheap to get and refine, but I haven't spent a dime of real money on PWI and I still have 15mil in the bank. You just have to know what you're doing. My hp is now at 3420 unbuffed. My physical reduction is 71% with cleric buff, BM buff, and lvl 10 earth barrier.

At level 70 I was doing 1-3 soulbanisher WITHOUT a charm tick. Any good robe wiz knows he/she needs to be wearing pdef ornaments and have a seperate set of gear for phys aoe TT and FB bosses. Do you have 10 dex? Manufacture a set of mithril legs. Thats over 250 pdef right there. They're a freaking pair of lvl 3 heavy legs, but even my 80 gear can't get pdef like that. Look in AH for some sleeves of blood. I used to wear a set that had 3 pdef mods (+45 each) and I added 2 average garnets for some more. I just looked on sanctuary server, there are 3 sets with 2 phys def mods right now for under 50K!

I've finished over 15 rebirths as well, so anyone who says they only take LA wizards need to rethink what they're doing. My lvl 10 DB and lvl 10 fire mastery gives me an average of 400 (600 metal wave) extra damage per hit to mobs. Get bloodclot and tree of protection on your genie and you're fine. I only use lvl 80 pots in conjunction with those 2 skills. My last 3 rebirths I've finished without a death, YES, that includes double wave. Dew doesn't work for wiz in that stage. Use tranquilizing orb instead. 8 secs of no damage > 3K absorbed damage. Having trouble aoe'ing the lanterns after 2nd boss? Get earthquake on your genie. Between that and the archer's aoe knockback skill, I tick maybe 3 or 4 times and clear the whole room in 6 mins.

In the end, its not about LA vs robe - which is better? Its about knowing your character and how to play it. If you're having trouble with something, think about what would help you, then get CREATIVE with ways to fix it (ie. lvl 3 heavy legs).

If you need more help, look me up in-game.
    Name: Blosque
    Class: PURE INT Wizard
    Level: 82
    Server: Sanctuary
  • Blosque - Sanctuary
    Blosque - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Now my avatar is fixed and I forgot to mention zhen.

I haven't been zhenning since around level 75 (rebirth has taken the place of it), but I was able to do that without a problem as well. Myself, archer, cleric, and barb used to do spiders and wolves all the time. I was actually prefered over LA wizards as my damage was higher and charms ticked less. Again, just trade out those arcane legs for some Mithril's and get some good pdef ornaments and you're fine. Find a chest and boots with good pdef or hp mods as well. You can find some for extremely cheap if you spend 20 minutes a day checking AH.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    im going LA for rebirth because i refuse to add vit......
    i rather have the extra crit rate, pdef, HP and have sucky normal damage than to just have Hp and sucky normal damage, sucky pdef.

i didnt get TT 70 because +mag resist is kinda useless for an arcane wizard and TT 80 gold is out of the picture since im too lazy to farm gold mats b:surrender
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Guardgodess - Sanctuary
    Guardgodess - Sanctuary Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    what's the recommended pdef for rb gamma and delta, also zhen.

unbuffed plz
  • Tiaque - Sanctuary
    Tiaque - Sanctuary Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    My stats, for the record, and the aid of putting things in perspective: 9vit, 34 str, 305 mag, 5 dex. 1410 unbuffed HP. Unrefined arcane, semi-mundane defensive gear, no phys def or HP shards, at the moment, pure magic defense ornaments (yes, I'm one of the crazies who go with -% channeling). Double Charmed.
    Pure robe wizards can't zhen, can't survive TT aoe, and can't survive RB gamma.

Pure robe wiz can't survive any of these alone. Thankfully, these events come with a party...and usually the party's job is to work together so no one dies. Good teamwork requires that everyone relay on each other to survive the situation at hand, and sometimes, that includes the wiz relaying on the skills of his teammates to survive - not much different than any wiz, honestly.

That said:

Zhen: Cleric stays alive, I stay alive, provided the lurer doesn't drag 50 mobs to me all at once and the archer decides to stop attack then and there...pop an HP if you feel your in trouble, but with a good squad, there's no reason to be dying, pure robe wiz or otherwise.

TT: the only boss's AOE I can't be anywhere near is Soul Banisher, because even with the Cleric's BB, I still get one-shotted. Now, I'm still not useless - I hang in the back and spam Morning Dew at max range...usually when the cleric manages to set BB up in the right place for me to do this on them, otherwise, it's on the archer or veno. Every other boss as far as 2-1 (admittedly, I've never been in a party that went past Wurlord) is peachy for me, required the cleric stays alive, and I'm aware enough to pop an HP pot if I feel I'm in a "danger zone" with my HP.

RB: Gamma I have no experience with, so I won't go there. On the rare occasions I do beta, 80% of the time, the cleric dies before I do, or the barb doesn't do his perceived job correctly (which I'm told is keeping everything off me, but I could be wrong), and I die as a result. The other 10%? I don;t hit a pot in time, the archer dies and I get stuck pulling all his aggro, or I get hit by too many things at once.
    In dungeons, overly high spike damage serves nothing other than pulling aggro and result in squad wipe. A wizard's high spike damage is not the same as veno's high dps, which is divided between caster and pet, and is much less likely to pull aggro. Nuke wizards do more harm than good in parties.

Ah, but smart nuke wizards learn quickly and realize when to hold themselves back and when they can go all out...the rest (the ones who are not-so-smart) take a lil longer to figure this out. However, your above statement can be said for the majority of archers, as well, and I've found that, for most, there's very little they can do to curb their damage.
    blosk wrote: »
    In the end, its not about LA vs robe - which is better? Its about knowing your character and how to play it.

Exactly :) I like that enough that I may siggy it...
    "In the end, its not about LA vs robe - which is better? Its about knowing your character and how to play it." ~Blosque, Sanctuary

Director of Tsunami
    Contact me in-game if you're looking for a new home!

Ayjia (5x veno), Celys (4x full support cleric), Eirel (3x claw blademaster)
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I'm not sure if there is a recommended PDef, but I'd mark it around 1.5-2k unbuffed. Should be 10k+ when your in defence aura's fully buffed.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Blosque - Sanctuary
    Blosque - Sanctuary Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Regarding gamma, I'm with Witch on this one. 1.5K - 2K is perfectly fine for gamma. To be honest, in a good squad, you shouldn't have to worry about pots, tree of protection, or healing of any sort until round 3. Not WAVE 3, but ROUND 3. By then def aura should be high enough that with Stone Barrier, Golden Bell, and cleric buff you should have 7K anyway.

Delta is a different story. Atm, most squads I know doing it are going with 2 archers over wiz and archer in Sanctuary due to the lack of geared wizards. I know one wiz who made it to double wave before dieing and being ported to 1K, but he only did it once and had TT90 sharded with all immac citrine and garnet (1/2 each) refined to +6. For now, I suggest leaving delta alone until you're at least 90. By then, hopefully we'll have a better idea of how to deal with it.

Zhen is completely dependant upon how good your puller is and if he/she knows what you can handle. Pulling 2 less mobs and staying alive is much better than dieing every 3rd pull.

Oh, and thanks Tiaque! It holds true for every class, but wizzy most of all. b:victory