Sucky Wiz

martian2005
martian2005 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Wizard
I am lvl 25 wizard with the array of spells i'm suppose to have according to the sticky guides, i've leveled all the spells I should have and created my own build...

every 2 lvls

4 vit
4 magic
2 str

at some points i kind of cheated and put more into magic when i felt i needed to...
Using arcane robes, and just the weps from fb and the ones i pull from my supply stash...
I seemed to be doing great until a few days ago, when i realized it took me 8 spells to kill something 3 lvls below me and i barely even survived the battle!
I've spent nearly all my money sharding my mystique robes which ive been told was a big mistake and i shouldnt even think of that till later lvls...But I would hate to see my wiz fight that lvl 22 mob without those shard bonuses of physical defense...I WOULD NOT SURVIVE....
My Damage is TERRIBLE....at lvl 25 im hitting 300 with Stone Rain? Is this normal???

Can ANyoNE tell me why i suck SOOO BAD and how to fix it without starting a new character???
Post edited by martian2005 on

Comments

• Garmr - Harshlands
    Garmr - Harshlands Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The problem is that you have a little more than half the magic you need as a wizard. All wizard builds use 3 magic per level - that's how much we need to equip the best weapon for our level.

I recommend you stop putting in so much vit. You'll have more than enough for the rest of the game at this point, most likely. Vit on a wizard adds very little HP. My wiz has a nice chunk of vit so she's got a bigger HP bar than some but it's better to have killing power.

Wizards are squishy. The way around that is to kill quickly. A wizard shouldn't take more than 3-5 attacks to kill a target at its own level. Arcane wizards (4 mag/level) kills marginally faster than Light Armor wizards (3 mag 1 str 1 dex per level).

If you want more survivability, you should restat to Light Armor. It will give you far better physical defense than arcane ever will, before and after shards. Plus it gets magnified very well by Earth Shield. Lose some of the vit and balance your Strength and Dex to Level +4. Magic should be Level x 3, at least.
    Leader of Howl on Harshlands (Recruiting.)

"Now Garmr howls loud before Gnipahellir, The fetters will burst, and the wolf run free..."

Howl! The winds of Ragnarok come borne upon this she-wolf's feet.
  • MuraSun - Sanctuary
    MuraSun - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The build that you have created is not so good. For starters, if your using robes, then theres no need to be adding 1 str every level, but rather 1 str every other lvl. With the vit, I personally think it's useless, and it is taking a decent chunk out of your damage... So it's up to you if you want to sacrifice damage for laughable survivability. (10 hp per vit b:chuckle )

My advice is to just start over and make a pure wizzie. Oh, and learn to kite!
    Audeamus Member
  • GX_ - Heavens Tear
    GX_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Your stats are not correct. I'm a pure wiz and I use 4 MAG and 1 STR on odd levels and 5 MAG on even. If you want a light armor build, 1 STR, 1 DEX, and 3 MAG every level. No vit is needed, you aren't a tank. Every MAG point counts as it goes to your MP recov. and magic damage output.

You don't need to shard yet, or you can shard with low-level shards. Sharding starts at 50/60s as I've read.

And if your fighting mobs, try using their weakness. For example, against Water-type, use Stone Rain first to get the most damage. And try to avoid magic resist mobs as they are a waste of mana.

Grab a those restat scrolls from the boutique I think? That is, if you wanna restat your character. You'd rather start a new one, with the stats that I've mentioned, and your damage output will rise.
  • Zetarana - Heavens Tear
    Zetarana - Heavens Tear Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I think level 25 wizards should have level 4 stone rain and should be using either their level 20 supply stash magical sword or their FB19 pataka.

Pataka? I think I got a Wand...
    Cholla wrote:
    Also, you should expect to be using a lot of time and mana points if you solo monsters which have "increased magical resistance".

I usually notice the "IMR" just after I've hit 'em, then I kite like mad... lol

I have a level 28 Wizzy and have a similar issue as the OP. Tho I went more like My Veno in respect to statting.
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
    Nephandus - Arcane Wizard
    Faction: Nocturne
    edited July 2009
    And if your fighting mobs, try using their weakness. For example, against Water-type, use Stone Rain first to get the most damage.

Good Advice! I'll set up a couple macros for different types and see if it improves my kill ratio.
    GX_ wrote:
    Grab a those restat scrolls from the boutique I think? That is, if you wanna restat your character.

@28 my vit and str are both 18 (with some bonuses from gear) and the rest is in mag, so I only need to restat the one, or should I just leave it for now and continue to focus on mag and str for armors?

EDIT: Should I be using an HP charm or an MP charm, or should I use both @ this level?
    Would be the cure for when something does make it to me and gets a hit or two off with a low or non vit points.
    I use Macros, but I am thinking that I may need to revise that thinking and go manual so I can kite between hits, this is sooo different than my Veno... holy **** this is hard running a Wizard.

Thanks for any advice on this.
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    Rinnve - Lost City Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    With the vit, I personally think it's useless, and it is taking a decent chunk out of your damage... So it's up to you if you want to sacrifice damage for laughable survivability. (10 hp per vit b:chuckle )
    b:angry
    In my wiz guide (if i ever write one) i'll tell one simple thing: "you get low hp, only 10 hp per vit, so YOU MUST GET IT ALL".

Archers are squishy snipers. Wizards must be tough mobile cannons. Wiz gets nice pdef with earth shield; vit gives some good hp so wiz is not an useless 1shot, no more.
    --
    PWonline.ru, Sirius: Иней, 70 cleric - off.
    PWI, Lost City: Rinnve, 7X wiz (frozen);
    Allods Online, Раскол: Риннве, 2X occultist
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Vit is absolutely useless. You're sacrificing damage for a superficial increase in HP, and wizards EXIST for bloody damage.

Pdef for us is all we need, no use to put up vit as well.

Plus, the whole thing about us being, well, CANNONS is that we can get killed easily but we fvcking deal outrageous amounts of damage.
  • GX_ - Heavens Tear
    GX_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited July 2009

EDIT: Should I be using an HP charm or an MP charm, or should I use both @ this level?
    Would be the cure for when something does make it to me and gets a hit or two off with a low or non vit points.
    I use Macros, but I am thinking that I may need to revise that thinking and go manual so I can kite between hits, this is sooo different than my Veno... holy **** this is hard running a Wizard.

On the hp/mp charm, I wouldn't? But hey it's up to you, but don't get gold charms not unless your going to zhen, which is 60s I think.

And on kiting, Distance Shrink (learned at 29) would be good for kiting. Along with Will of the Phoenix (learned at 39), it's a great combo. However, I barely kite. Normally my combo for close combat mobs are Sandstorm (or Divine pyro, depending on mob element type) --> Gush --> Pyro --> Will of the Phoenix --> Pyro. Normally their dead after that, but add gushes and pyros if needed. I'm more of a DPS person so yeah.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Vit is absolutely useless. You're sacrificing damage for a superficial increase in HP, and wizards EXIST for bloody damage.
    Superficial? On 9X when refined to +9, yes. Before it, no. Additional 30-40% of hp is very far from being superficial, and 15% of damage is a very good price for it. Pdef is important, but not without hp to back up.
    --
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i rather go LA than add vit.

at least you get a crit rate with the damage shrink b:victory
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Amour - Lost City
    Amour - Lost City Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Vit is absolutely horrible for a mage.
    "Amour is better suited to rainbow text, because he is a classy lady." - Nakhimov
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mizorie - Lost City
    Mizorie - Lost City Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    unless you are using hiddens build, that build looks awesome tbh lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dalamaar: Mizorie you have no soul.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    unless you are using hiddens build, that build looks awesome tbh lol

whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    i rather go LA than add vit.

at least you get a crit rate with the damage shrink b:victory
    Yeah, also you get lower hp (unless you refine much) and mediocre mdef.
    Vit is absolutely horrible for a mage.
    It is not. Good both for pve and pvp, balances damage and survivability.
    --
  • Ozumaki - Dreamweaver
    Ozumaki - Dreamweaver Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Untill I het lvl 50, i was very noob, put some atribute to vit, but not as many as u do. And now I go hybrid, to fix my false without using reset scroll ;P.

And I can't believe u put so many vit. I think u better read the guide.

The same as have writen in the guide, for pure wizard, at least there ire 2 ways, (first) max to mag, and put some enough to str so u can use arcane robe, or 9 mag 1 str every lvl. (Second) 4 mag 1 str every lvl. And ur damage will be amazing. How about vit, add some shard to ur stuff/armor, at lvl 30 or when u get lvl 2 rank, u can buy some nice stuffs (2 stars i think, forget *plox

And about other build is in the guide.

Remember, many wizzie player quit before lvl 70 or 80, yeah wizzie is sucks. But wizzie is the best tanker for Mantavip (mob quest lvl 60ish), wizzie also very usefull in rebirth and TW (especially to conquer lvl 2 lands).

Good luck for the game.

<---Still noob
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Lemme reiterate: VIT is BS.

Rinnve, a 15% decrease in damage is a metric f*ckton of damage compared to a puny 30-40% increase in HP. With a 15% decrease in damage output, you're going to have to use another spell or two, which wastes both time and mana, and opens you to another hit. That 30-40% HP is then going to go into soaking up that extra hit. You're basically having the same survivability with less damage, more MP consumption, and longer battles. GG.

Also, I have a feeling you pulled those figures out of your ****. Jes' saying.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, also you get lower hp (unless you refine much) and mediocre mdef.

lower HP?
    2.5k unbuffed is bad?
    and i like the fact PK between me and a BM is a charm tick fest
    boosts my epeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

only thing i have refined is dark shingaurds of hades and its +2

sharding all HP really adds nicely
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Average HP shards in your gear is better than VIT.
    That way you can have ~2.5k HP unbuffed and not take a 15% loss in matk.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
    edited July 2009

Good Point... wish I thought of it before. Live and learn.
    It always seems to be a toss up, HP vs PDef.

With HP it doesn't matter if you are getting hit by Phy or Mgk.
    Whereas PDef is all Physical.
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Eh, if it's 4 slots, why not shard summat like half-n-half.

Though yeah, HP shards are pretty damned awesome. But garnets are less expensive in Sanct, so I shard my equips with garnets >_>
  • MuraSun - Sanctuary
    MuraSun - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    b:angry
    In my wiz guide (if i ever write one) i'll tell one simple thing: "you get low hp, only 10 hp per vit, so YOU MUST GET IT ALL".

The only way adding vit will actualy give you a lot of hp is if you have alot. Like 100+ vit (and I understand that that is exactly what you've done.) Sure you'll have around 1000 more hp then a pure, but 100 mag is alot to be missing out on just for a little bit more hp. If survivability is really more important to you, LA is easily the better choice as it adds decent hp, better pdef, and a nice crit rate. Plus, people wont make fun of you for being a vit wiz b:chuckle
    Audeamus Member
  • Rinnve - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Rinnve, a 15% decrease in damage is a metric f*ckton of damage compared to a puny 30-40% increase in HP. With a 15% decrease in damage output, you're going to have to use another spell or two, which wastes both time and mana, and opens you to another hit. That 30-40% HP is then going to go into soaking up that extra hit. You're basically having the same survivability with less damage, more MP consumption, and longer battles. GG.
    Wrong. When grinding, typical hit now is about 200-300. So, it's 10 extra hits and not just one. Actually, i heal only once or twice before meditating to replenish mp.

But, grinding is very easy for any build, and pure is best for that, i agree. Larger hp becomes important when you are doing something more interesting, when they hit you harder. When it is difference between ticking charm and not ticking, or between ticking charm and dying.
    Also, I have a feeling you pulled those figures out of your ****. Jes' saying.
    Too bad for you, this game is easily calculated. 72 wizard without any vit points has 1470hp on his own (w/o eq); vit wiz has 112 vit on this level and so 2540hp. +72%. With proper equipment, difference is lower but is not less than 30-40%, may be more. And there is also difference in pdef. Additional ~100 mag give about +600 matk on those levels; that is, if i restat to pure without changing equipment, matk becomes 3700 instead of 3100. 23% matk increase. Note it: matk, not damage. Damage is matk + xx% * weapon + fixed damage, so resulting increase is much lower, from 15% for fast weak spells to 5-7% for highlvl ultimates (which i do not have yet lol).
    lower HP?
    2.5k unbuffed is bad?
    and i like the fact PK between me and a BM is a charm tick fest
    boosts my epeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

only thing i have refined is dark shingaurds of hades and its +2

sharding all HP really adds nicely
    I do not say BAD, it's just lower. I now have 3k hp unbuffed, this is after changing rings for better attack and headger for better defense, used to be 3.3k. No refinement at all, no legendary eq either and all 3* items are quest ones... i'm cheap b:surrender
    And have sucky pdef. Pure build is endgame build, when hp is gained from massive refinement, def from expensive shards. Before endgame, it is gimped either in def or hp.
    --
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Sorry bud, you had better start a new wizard. To make the start over easier, why don't you sell everything on your sucky character and mail the money to your new character- at your level that should be about 300-400k.
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
    edited July 2009
    Sorry bud, you had better start a new wizard. To make the start over easier, why don't you sell everything on your sucky character and mail the money to your new character- at your level that should be about 300-400k.

Wouldn't it make more sense to re-stat then to re-do all the work of the quests and such? Depending on level you could certainly pick up the Military Gear to replace armor if needed.

If you think that is a bad idea then pls explain why.
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno