Question about Light Armor Clerics

naiad14
naiad14 Posts: 2 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Cleric
I was thinking of doing a light armor build.
My stats are as follows:
Level 7
Vit 12
Mag 17
Str 9
Dex 9

and I have one or two left over.

The reason why I was thinking of going Light Armor was because it would protect my character against both physical and magic attacks. Where as the Arcane Armor protects you against magic attacks.

I was wondering if this was good path to go, character wise.
Post edited by naiad14 on

Comments

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Its not bad at all. LA is just the medium in choice whereas the arcane might be a tad bit more popular. But it all just boils down to preference when you start to refine those in the future.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yup nothing wrong with LA.
    b:dirty
  • Aeneas - Harshlands
    Aeneas - Harshlands Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Arcane/vit is easier. Easier to play and gear up. Light Armor can be as good, particularly PvP and TW-wise, but you have to invest more effort into your gear. LA shines 6x and 7x. And the high 7x molders for LA are easy to get as well. But HH80 gold arcane is really, really nice and LA starts to fall behind then imo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I would add some mag. def shards as well as hp.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • ChronicDose - Harshlands
    ChronicDose - Harshlands Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Never put a point into vit, unless you wanna be fail LA cleric.
    I made the same mistake when I was a noob, put vit up to 17 only to have to buy a reset scroll to put it at 7.

My current stats are
    Lvl 67
    vit7=hp 2.6k unbuffed(3.2k buffed)
    Pdef = ~4.6k buffed (Cleric and BM)

Good idea for you if you want to go with LA, put 1 more point into vit, buy a -10 reset scroll, set vit to 3 and put all into mag(Or even amount sinto dex and str if needed and rest to mag)

At ~lvl 60or 70 you must refine all gear for the HP and Mag def bonuses, which a good LA will inherently lack, and shard all with Citrine shards, go for gear that is +hp, as +vit will only add +10 hp per vit point(The lowest out of any class), Of course if it is +8 vit or something and you are weighing it vs a +60 hp item, the +8 is better (8x10 = 80)

LA Clerics are fun, but they do have weaknesses(Mag def is lower compared to arcane), I play one soley for the reason I like to be very near to the battle, and I love helping with physical aoe grind and with mobs 10 levels higher I dont get hurt even after 5 hits.

I hope this helps:D

naiad14 wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing a light armor build.
    My stats are as follows:
    Level 7
    Vit 12
    Mag 17
    Str 9
    Dex 9

and I have one or two left over.

The reason why I was thinking of going Light Armor was because it would protect my character against both physical and magic attacks. Where as the Arcane Armor protects you against magic attacks.

I was wondering if this was good path to go, character wise.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aeneas - Harshlands
    edited July 2009

I really, really hope this is a joke
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited July 2009

b:surrender I was going to let it go......b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited July 2009

at level 7? lol... waste.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    lol i would hate being LA.... i have a 7x LA friend an she hits the same as me <.< i mean >_<
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009

I am stating this for future use and ChronicDose didn't say anything bad about it infact he is saying the same thing although more in-depth.I would think more before you post and if don't have anything nice to say don't waste the space doing so.That goes for the rest of you except Alyyy
  • Aeneas - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    I am stating this for future use and ChronicDose didn't say anything bad about it infact he is saying the same thing although more in-depth.I would think more before you post and if don't have anything nice to say don't waste the space doing so.That goes for the rest of you except Alyyy

You understand the concept of diminishing returns as applied to resistances in this game correct?

Going from 7000 - 8000 mdef resistance isn't anywhere near the same % reduction in damage going from 2500 - 3500 pdef resistance is.

LA Clerics already have fairly high mdef resistance to begin with. Adding mdef shards reduces significantly less damage per shard then sharding pdef, even on an LA. And both would pal in comparison to stating up the significant weakness of a LA build, HP.

There is no good rational argument for sharding mdef. Such a cleric would be immediately laughed off the server.

To go "more in-depth", LA does have the flexibility of using elemental resistance belt and necklace, as opposed to be wed to a protection belt/necklace. This is significant though not because of the resistances, which is still negligible (we're talking a percent or two at most), but because it allows the cleric to stack both -chan (on the weapon and necklace/belt) as well as crit (from their dex and from crit rings). Which helps improve their damage potential considerably.

But again, this has little to do with having more elemental resistance.

At 80 I had some 7000+ elemental resistance. Sharding mdef would have been b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i didnt go LA because of 1 simple reason... ur M.Atk is lowerb:sad... i was doing some quests in the swamp with my 7x friend and she said she kiled them in -4 shots... now she needs like 5 or 6......b:surrender

and i dont realy think the stats are much better ( compared to me and a LA cleric...)...when u ppl crit its like a normal hit for arcane clerics...(i think)

1 more thing lol... me and her dueled and she did the same dmg as me <.<

(i think i rly said taht LA has lower M.Atk :P (of course no ofence to LA ppl..))
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rillien - Heavens Tear
    Rillien - Heavens Tear Posts: 569 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    ^^Exact same magic attack as a full vit build (6mag-3vit-1str). Which is, of course, the lowest amount of mag you can have, but the damage by all means is not horrible. And these builds have the extra hp and/or pdef to compensate for the extra hit they might take.

But talking about mobs and grinding is pretty irrelevant, because everyone who gets to 70+ better have found out a method of grinding that works for them, and you shouldn't be dying while grinding at those levels anyways. You can stay full mag if all you are going to do in the game is endlessly grind and show off your killer matk.

The real issue with the builds is how well they handle squad situations. It's generally regarded that full mag has more shortcomings and doesn't survive as much despite having higher heals. Fact is, bad stuff happens and clerics need to be able to take some hits, especially in boss AOEs. LA allows better handling of physical AOEs (TT is full of them) and physical hits from monsters. Vit gives you more hp so you can handle the same. There is a point in the game where LA (when wearing decent hp sharded armour) is equal and I might argue better than vit (wearing decent armour with pdef and/or hp) because in lower levels that increase in pdef is A LOT. You are able to get a decent amount of hp with minimal refines and sharding but you have more than enough pdef with the bm buff to be able to handle anything in squad. Vit becomes the best option in late levels when you have enough money to heavily refine pdef ornaments (this is really the only way you can make up for the gap in pdef) and you have a very nice amount of hp.

From what I observed, lvl 50-60-70 clerics that went with a hybrid build were still squishy (not sure if I met any full vit ones) in squads because it's really not worth +5ing a lvl 60 pdef belt. After 90 it's no debate; vit build wins hands down. But LA has its place.

And btw LA/full vit crits are higher than full mag regular attacks. I think people have done stats saying LA/full vit build is 70-80% the matk of full mag, and crits are 2x your normal damage. So a full mag hits for 100, LA hits for 70-80, their crits hit for 160 [just an example].
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    You understand the concept of diminishing returns as applied to resistances in this game correct?

Going from 7000 - 8000 mdef resistance isn't anywhere near the same % reduction in damage going from 2500 - 3500 pdef resistance is.

LA Clerics already have fairly high mdef resistance to begin with. Adding mdef shards reduces significantly less damage per shard then sharding pdef, even on an LA. And both would pal in comparison to stating up the significant weakness of a LA build, HP.

There is no good rational argument for sharding mdef. Such a cleric would be immediately laughed off the server.

To go "more in-depth", LA does have the flexibility of using elemental resistance belt and necklace, as opposed to be wed to a protection belt/necklace. This is significant though not because of the resistances, which is still negligible (we're talking a percent or two at most), but because it allows the cleric to stack both -chan (on the weapon and necklace/belt) as well as crit (from their dex and from crit rings). Which helps improve their damage potential considerably.

But again, this has little to do with having more elemental resistance.

At 80 I had some 7000+ elemental resistance. Sharding mdef would have been b:surrender

I guess it really comes down to personal preference now doesn't it.No one has to have the very cookie cutter build do they infact forget about Phys and Mag go with hp instead.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I guess it really comes down to personal preference now doesn't it.No one has to have the very cookie cutter build do they infact forget about Phys and Mag go with hp instead.

No it comes to 1% m.def does nothing for you, while 5%p.def does allot.
    b:dirty
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    No it comes to 1% m.def does nothing for you, while 5%p.def does allot.

Like I said it is personal choice like in another game I play which takes a lot more skill.
  • Torsay - Sanctuary
    Torsay - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Like I said it is personal choice like in another game I play which takes a lot more skill.

Mysti dont add mdef shards to your armor. I had LA armor sharded fully with mdef gems at level 66 and it was a mistake.

You can just outheal the mag dmg if you got more hp with hp shards. Well I am just trying to buy hp gear now.

More hp is generally better against both phys and magic mobs. I guess if you are LA cleric you are used to heal yourself during fight anyway and with hp shards you dont have to pay so much attention to your health bar while fighting.

Well if you can afford hp charm easily dont bother reading this.
  • Aeneas - Harshlands
    edited July 2009

It's personal preference in-as-far as the game allows you to do whatever you want. You can also shard evasion or mana shards if you so feel like it.

It is not personal preference in regards to whether it's a good idea or not. It's demonstratively a bad idea, and remains a bad idea regardless of how much you want to do it.

Being a game, you're allowed to do whatever you feel like. If it makes you happy, that should be your preferred option. But "wanting to do" something and that thing "making you happy" doesn't make it an idea that has merit on it's own. I could want to build an "evasion cleric", and if so, I should shard evasion shards in my armor, but just because I think it's funny and enjoy doing it doesn't make it a good idea in it's own right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    It's personal preference in-as-far as the game allows you to do whatever you want. You can also shard evasion or mana shards if you so feel like it.

It is not personal preference in regards to whether it's a good idea or not. It's demonstratively a bad idea, and remains a bad idea regardless of how much you want to do it.

Being a game, you're allowed to do whatever you feel like. If it makes you happy, that should be your preferred option. But "wanting to do" something and that thing "making you happy" doesn't make it an idea that has merit on it's own. I could want to build an "evasion cleric", and if so, I should shard evasion shards in my armor, but just because I think it's funny and enjoy doing it doesn't make it a good idea in it's own right.

You see you could have worded this like Torsay did as I would follow his recommendation over what you are saying.
  • Lady_Nouhime - Heavens Tear
    Lady_Nouhime - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    What Stats Are Good For A Pve Cleric O_o I Had A Few Idots Say 4vit1str5mage Per 2 Lvs Help....
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    I would imagine for LA it would go like this 1 str,1vit,1dex 7mag every 2 lvls.
    edited July 2009
    I'm not the type for LA people say they Run Out Alot Of Mana at lower lvs
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited July 2009

LA = 1str, 1dex and 3mag per lvl, nothing on vit.

@Lady_Nouhime
    Best build for both PvE and PvP is the build that fits you the best ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009

@Lady_Nouhime
    Best build for both PvE and PvP is the build that fits you the best ;)
    8-MAG 1-STR 1-VIT per 2LV,7mag 1str 2vit i saw in a few fourm sections and LightArmours Run out of Mana faster i was told
  • Mikel_oru - Sanctuary
    Mikel_oru - Sanctuary Posts: 610 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    8-MAG 1-STR 1-VIT per 2LV,7mag 1str 2vit i saw in a few fourm sections and LightArmours Run out of Mana faster i was told

Well you will run out of mana a lot with any build so don't make your judgment just because of that, the most stable build is the 1str, 2vit and 7mag per two lvls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009

I prefer some in vit well then every 4 lvls.
  • Anders - Lost City
    Anders - Lost City Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Mage defence shards ROCK in gear
    THEY ARE SO AWESOME, MAGES CAN'T KILL ME! MY P DEF IS -1900 b:laugh
  • ChronicDose - Harshlands
    ChronicDose - Harshlands Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I prefer some in vit well then every 4 lvls.
    This is for PVP Clerics.

If you put ANY into vit your LA Cleric Dmg is gimped. The only way an LA cleric can be in any way viable is
    a) Socket with Citrine and Refine Gear at 6x+ MAKE SURE: Gear has all Resists not just 4, all 5 will make for less gear switching.
    b) Lowest Vit Possible
    c) Dex and Str = to Armor level you currently are at
    d) ALL OTHER PTS INTO MAG.

Believe me this will make your LA Cleric shine, if you get the right gear

At 70 I should have around 2.9k hp unbuffed with no vit.

I switch out Ele resist - channelling gear Necklace and belt for fighting Magic users/Mobs, switch out Physdef Belt and Necklace for Melee Mobs.

This way I will have around 4.5k pdef cleric buffed with All Phys resist gear on or ~4200-4700 All mag resist with Mag def gear on, with a reducded pdef of around 4k.

It is a good build, you just have to not **** it up.

NOTE: Why put pts into vit when each pt = 10hp....the lowest possible from all the classes, when your MAG is already gimped compared to a pure mag or arcane because of the required equal STR and DEX
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver
    GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I suggest that you try Full Vit build. I was just like you when i first started a cleric, i came from playing a barb and didnt like how i had no Phys def on cleric. Well, I re-stated to Full Vit build and i can tank more than i could with LA, and i had room to add Vit or Mag when needed, unlike LA where everything has to be added a certain way. Just a tip from an old LA user
  • Inias - Heavens Tear
    Inias - Heavens Tear Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i'm still not sure about this dilemma

u go arcane =>u can put more points in mag so your mag attack is higher and you can get phys def out of protection ornaments etc

or u go LA but your mag will be lower because of higher strength and dex so you're mag attack "should" be lower altho a LA cleric/wiz has more crits so i'm not sure about this one

altho i'm arcane
    thanks to forsaken for this awesome sig b:victory[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]