Are Dual Axes a Necessity?

Options
Belligero - Sanctuary
Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Barbarian
When I first played this game, I found that most Barbarians and BMs used Dual Axes, and I just thought that it was a matter of preference. When I asked my friends why, they told me "We use them because axes look cool."

Now I know how wrong that was... I'm a Dual Hammer person myself, but I just realized that there are way more variety of Dual Axes to choose from at the higher levels than Dual Hammers and Dual Axes have better abilities/stats on them [Berserker, VIT + xx]

So if there's any other valid reason for me to switch to Axes, someone please tell me now. I really like hammers though, so should I switch? I'm not sure...

Thanks though.
Belligero
Post edited by Belligero - Sanctuary on

Comments

• XBloodKingx - Heavens Tear
    XBloodKingx - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    When I first played this game, I found that most Barbarians and BMs used Dual Axes, and I just thought that it was a matter of preference. When I asked my friends why, they told me "We use them because axes look cool."

Now I know how wrong that was... I'm a Dual Hammer person myself, but I just realized that there are way more variety of Dual Axes to choose from at the higher levels than Dual Hammers and Dual Axes have better abilities/stats on them [Berserker, VIT + xx]

So if there's any other valid reason for me to switch to Axes, someone please tell me now. I really like hammers though, so should I switch? I'm not sure...

Thanks though.

if u use dual axes or hammers it wont really affect ur gameplay its mostly what look u like i just like the way axes look on my bm but if u use the tank build you`ll be able to use duel axes AND duel hammers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]you have just meet death

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

credit to ForsakenX for the sig
  • Fumiko - Harshlands
    Fumiko - Harshlands Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    double axes have a hella slow attack rate but compared to double hammers they have a higher maximum damage, good for spamming skill and we barbs are the ones with almost 0 channeling skills that can be spammed very fast

Edit: I just noticed I'm using my wizard alt for posting o.O oh well I'll raise her post count
    theGoliath's sexy wizzy
  • Shredclaw - Sanctuary
    Shredclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I usually don't use duels in any case. I like the farther reach that comes witht the pole weapons. Whether it's a poleaxe or a pole hammer just depends on what mats I have on hand to make the weapon.
    I used to wonder why I would have these scary dreams every month. About the wolf, who kept running through town. And as I wondered, I also thought about how I couldn't remember having those dreams before being bitten by this very big dog...

But now I know the truth.
    And I am not afraid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CornHilario - Heavens Tear
    CornHilario - Heavens Tear Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    double axes have a hella slow attack rate but compared to double hammers they have a higher maximum damage, good for spamming skill and we barbs are the ones with almost 0 channeling skills that can be spammed very fast

Edit: I just noticed I'm using my wizard alt for posting o.O oh well I'll raise her post count

exactly. thats why you keep stomp of the beast king and agrrote at level 1. yes, they will be weaker, but with a lower mana cost that becomes virtually 0 at higher levels when u have like 1k mp, you can spam the two of those skills not as "skills" but as "extra attacks" sort of to say.

of course, dual axes have a penalty to their higher damage than poles, and that is their attack speed. but like Fumiko said, the attack speed becomes a rather ignorable feature of the axes when u can spam skills faster than 0.5sec. where duals first attack at 8.3 hits per seconds, which is about 9 hits in 10 seconds, u can spam low skills like said above to attack at faster than 1 hit per second.

and another thing, Shredclaw, pole weapons and duals have the same attack range of 3.5 =_=. the length of the weapon is an illusion

and Belligero, as long as it is duals, they are fine, but most TT weapons are dual axes, so u might want to start getting used to using them early on.
    One corn to rule them all and in the darkness cream them

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MS paint ftw. Disclaimer: my suit is actually gray, not black.

♥: The best f♥♥king censor ever. Always remember to show
    love to eachother on the forum even when you are cussing eachother out.
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    also Baestial Onslaught is purely based on the % weapon damage so the higher is the max attack of ur weapon the more damage this awesome skill deal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    also Baestial Onslaught is purely based on the % weapon damage so the higher is the max attack of ur weapon the more damage this awesome skill deal

My favorite one... I one-shot to many people with thatb:laugh
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    The dual axes have the better "max damage" range, which is why I use them. However using dual hammers vs dual axes, the average attack is about the same/time.

I would consider using a poleaxe if I found one that I liked....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin
  • TheGoliath - Heavens Tear
    TheGoliath - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I would suggest to buy the super-cheap 79 mold polehammer, it sucks but it's good for grinding... don't buy it if u are planning to take the Lion King Axes <.< charm/pot savers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shredclaw - Sanctuary
    Shredclaw - Sanctuary Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    and another thing, Shredclaw, pole weapons and duals have the same attack range of 3.5 =_=. the length of the weapon is an illusion

Grr. You shattered my false belief in the pole weapon. But you know what they say. Peace is the guy with the bigger stick. THAT is my new reasoning.
    I used to wonder why I would have these scary dreams every month. About the wolf, who kept running through town. And as I wondered, I also thought about how I couldn't remember having those dreams before being bitten by this very big dog...

But now I know the truth.
    And I am not afraid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Belligero - Sanctuary
    Belligero - Sanctuary Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Bigger stick is better than two sticks? [Okay... so maybe they're not sticks.]
    Belligero
  • Swagga - Dreamweaver
    Swagga - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I think really its personal preference, BUT, i did notice that as far as the ult weps go that the duals have a lot more str than the pole.

Most of the pole's that i have seen in the database seem to be geared more toward tanking than consistent damage.

So point is, that for spike damage, which may help keep aggro, go with poles, (health bonuses don't hurt either),if you want larger damage end game go with duals. Just an observation.
    But like i said it seems to me that, that is how it ends up working out. Yeah you can always add sockets but big bonuses don't hurt none.