Why pick a sword bm?

aznboiek
aznboiek Posts: 20 Arc User
edited August 2010 in Blademaster
I just read the guide up there and it says that swords are third strongest so why would anyone ever have a reason to pick it? I see that axe is for aoe and spear for range but can anyone give me a reason for the sword?
Post edited by aznboiek on

Comments

• Lyndura - Lost City
    Lyndura - Lost City Posts: 829 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Because they like swords, and they don't care about having the best in performance?
  • aznboiek
    aznboiek Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    so theres absoulutely nothing else good about them except looks?
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    Temblor - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    The swords dont suck they're just harder to master. Axes and spears are more accesible to players. There are players who don't care to get maximum kills and they want to play a unique char. Of course if you play swords hardcore players will go "ha ha f.....g noob, swords suk, ur noob." Swords do just fine if you pick up the style.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
    Girl IRL-guy cleric IG.b:cute
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Single Blade/Sword are meant for attack speed, which is meaningless because they just deal 1 more hit than Polearms every 10 seconds. And they don't have Fist's attack speed.

The ranged attack of Swords is no match to the ranged attack of Spears. Atmost Strike is not match against Farstrike/Drake Bash either.

Dual Blades/Swords are meant for "Spike" damage, but if one wants spike damage it is just much better to use Axes.

They have Myriad, which is a nice damage skill but the effect is kind of useless in PvP and there are better skills to spend 2 sparks on.

And they have Mage Bane........................so yeah, it is about the looks. Oh! And the level 90 Berserker Blade is very very cheap to make, so if you are poor and you can't get another berserker weapon this might be your option.
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    Kedth - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Sword BMs should kill ourselves just because Lyndura says it... man we suck big time. We don't know even how to stun!! We are just a bunch of kids who like sword looks. Our first skill of sword tree also sucks so we should be banned from the game....

I almost forgot! We aren't "the best in performance" either so everyone who adds us on a squad is crazy because we are dangerous... u know, we suck sooooo bad and are soooo selfish that we only care about doing 1vs1 DD.

*sarcasm mode off*

Ok, here's the thing about swords (and you wont see me bashing other builds because they are all good), you are going to be a support DD with mid-high evasion and accouracy and you are going to do your job as all BMs should do, which is mob controlling. Yeah, we have less Hp because our vit is prolly capped and added to dex and str, but if you know how to play it and like the idea? Go ahead and enjoy.

And yes, you will find a lot or ppl who will bash you for the only reason of not being "da man who brings da pain into da house" in terms of AoE damage. That comes with this path too. But meh, who cares... i like all types of BM all have their purpose and use. Just find the one you like and go play it.

Take care out there
  • Sunspot - Lost City
    Sunspot - Lost City Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    There's no reason whatsoever to pick swords.
    And it freaks me out when i see more and more noobs carrying HH80 duals in the game. Poor things prolly spent millions of coins on worthless wpn and skillls.
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    Temblor - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    And it freaks me out when i see more and more noobs carrying HH80 duals in the game. Poor things prolly spent millions of coins on worthless wpn and skillls.

Yea damn noobs acting like they could make their char anyway they want to. Go axes idiots!!!b:angry How the hell do you want to be first on the pk list and pwn noobs if you keep making the character the way you want. Man those noob **** me off. I think thats why they get swords!b:angry Get this thru your thick skull: just because you pay with your own money, spend your own time playing and put your own effort in to your char that doesn't mean you can do make it into whatever the hell you like it. Go axes NOW or there's gonna be my foot in your ****!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
    Girl IRL-guy cleric IG.b:cute
  • Kedth - Sanctuary
    Kedth - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    My words exactly Temblor.... bunch of noobs.... wait! they are Lost City BMs... ok forget about it... we r carebears too for them so who cares about what we say?

They just want to hear this, check this out: "Oh, i never thought about it that way... your are damn right!! ill just buy some reset scrolls and switch to axes yay!! Now i can be one of those 1234568720 Axe bms out there too!! I soooo freakin rock... wait... maybe i should start a nre char!! cause you guys were sooo right, sword BM skills? waste of sp and coins... yeah, ill go pure Axe to kick some butts..."
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2009

lol spot. Sarcasm doesn't suit you well. b:chuckle
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Hathian - Dreamweaver
    Hathian - Dreamweaver Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'd honestly rather pick any build BUT axes because axe users seem to be closed-minded pretentious *******.

*Cough* Lyndura *Cough*
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'd honestly rather pick any build BUT axes because axe users seem to be closed-minded pretentious *******.

*Cough* Lyndura *Cough*

Ironic how you're being close-minded yourself by refusing to choose axes because you assume all axe users are pretentious. Lyndura isn't even a pure axe bm...
  • Seablue - Sanctuary
    Seablue - Sanctuary Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yeah unless PW changed some sword skills and give swords a specific purpose (which I doubt), it's just there for show.

Myriad is nice to have, but you'll only ever use it once every few century. Dragons are used everyday.

I totally forgot that Magebane exist in my list of skills. Waste of chi and doesn't even do much damage.

Spirit chase is nice but for the same cost and spirit you can get farstrike which have more damage and range.

Atmos..... it knocks things back and that's annoying. When you want the knock back to actually work, you find that having 8s cd and knock only one mob isn't good enough.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yeah unless PW changed some sword skills and give swords a specific purpose (which I doubt), it's just there for show.

Myriad is nice to have, but you'll only ever use it once every few century. Dragons are used everyday.

I totally forgot that Magebane exist in my list of skills. Waste of chi and doesn't even do much damage.

Spirit chase is nice but for the same cost and spirit you can get farstrike which have more damage and range.

Atmos..... it knocks things back and that's annoying. When you want the knock back to actually work, you find that having 8s cd and knock only one mob isn't good enough.

I think your post is great, since is not biased.

I wish more people would post like you when talking or comparing sword with other weapons.

Even when sword was my main weapon, I was using drake bash very often (i would switch to axes for a bit of course).

regarding atmos. The knockback does not work on PVP and it does not work with all mobs either.

Myriad does not work on PVP as it does on PVE.

Mage Bane. I have never found an efficient use for it.

However, these skills and the weapons might have some nice uses when you go hybrid but this is not good enough to justify a weapon use.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Ok, after some posters said the same points I used, and some others QQ'ed, I go back to my first post:
    Because they like swords, and they don't care about having the best in performance?

To add to that, also people that want to be "special/original/go against what is used/etc" use Swords.
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    Armegedon - Lost City Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm a sword Blademaster, I like swords because its different from what

everyone else chooses. I hate Axe's they look cheesy imo, so rolled sword.

So far I win 80% of the fights with axe bm's. Swords are good if you know

how to use them, and you need actual skill to use them. Axe's are just Spam

stun + smash buttons. Spear and fist are also good. Of course Swords suck

at leveling, but they are fun to play with.

If any 7x axe bm's think they can beat me pm me.

~Armegedon - RageQuit
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    At level 7x any fight between BM's can end with just Dragon + Thunderstorm, lol. And any WR spams stun + smash buttons, with normal attacks here and there, Sword is not different at all.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I'm a sword Blademaster, I like swords because its different from what

everyone else chooses. I hate Axe's they look cheesy imo, so rolled sword.

So far I win 80% of the fights with axe bm's. Swords are good if you know

how to use them, and you need actual skill to use them. Axe's are just Spam

stun + smash buttons.

~Armegedon - RageQuit

I could not agree more
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    No skill at all. Axe's are just too easy to use.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009

Get to level 90+, when the real PvP starts. This game is too easy, regardless of what weapon we use, it is not about skill, it is about who has the most money to +12 their weapon.

In my opinion Sword requires even less "skill" than Axes, they don't have to time their stun-lock, they don't have to worry about the efficiency and attack speed of the skills to use the best for the stun-lock, they don't have to time Dragon with other skills, etc, etc.
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Get to level 90+, when the real PvP starts. This game is too easy, regardless of what weapon we use, it is not about skill, it is about who has the most money to +12 their weapon.

In my opinion Sword requires even less "skill" than Axes, they don't have to time their stun-lock, they don't have to worry about the efficiency and attack speed of the skills to use the best for the stun-lock, they don't have to time Dragon with other skills, etc, etc.

Sword bm's have less good skills to work with, so they have to use their

class skills (not only weapon skills) leap backs, and leap forwards for

example. They don't have as many stuns so they have to find other ways to

take down their opponent. They also need to master each of their skills (not

just the most powerful) because they have so little skills to work with. This

is what makes a sword bm more skillful in my opinion.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Sword bm's have less good skills to work with, so they have to use their

class skills (not only weapon skills) leap backs, and leap forwards for

example. They don't have as many stuns so they have to find other ways to

take down their opponent. They also need to master each of their skills (not

just the most powerful) because they have so little skills to work with. This

is what makes a sword bm more skillful in my opinion.

Axe users use Leaps and their common tree skills too, such as fan of flames, drake sweep, ocean's edge, tiger maw, aeolian blade, roar of the pride, drake's ray, etc.

They have to time those skills for their quick animation, like Hell Tiger Maw and Ocean's Edge.

If they use a wrong skill and they took 1 seconds more than they should had, then the whole stun-lock will fail. They have to master all the skills too.

The way you describe a Sword user, seems like you only use attack skills to kill your opponent. There is no strategy, no timing, no worrying about the efficiency of your skills, etc.
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Axe users use Leaps and their common tree skills too, such as fan of flames, drake sweep, ocean's edge, tiger maw, aeolian blade, roar of the pride, drake's ray, etc.

They have to time those skills for their quick animation, like Hell Tiger Maw and Ocean's Edge.

If they use a wrong skill and they took 1 seconds more than they should had, then the whole stun-lock will fail. They have to master all the skills too.

The way you describe a Sword user, seems like you only use attack skills to kill your opponent. There is no strategy, no timing, no worrying about the efficiency of your skills, etc.

Axe Bms have the choice of mastering those skills but tbh most axe bm's

don't. they rely on their stuns to get them through pwi. Ex. When a Sword

bm uses his leaps he firsts uses oceans edge, then combines his two ranged

skills. If desperate can also add the 2 spark. When a Axe bm uses leaps, he

is useless.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Axe Bms have the choice of mastering those skills but tbh most axe bm's

don't. they rely on their stuns to get them through pwi. Ex. When a Sword

bm uses his leaps he firsts uses oceans edge, then combines his two ranged

skills. If desperate can also add the 2 spark. When a Axe bm uses leaps, he

is useless.

Most Axe users in our server suck (you can already tell, because any BM fighting on the floor shows little knowledge/experience in PvP).

The ones that really know how to use their weapon are already level 9x~1xx or they quitted the game.

But if you compare both weapons to their full performance, using the skills they should, etc. You will see that Axe requires much more strategy and "skill" than any other weapon.

Anyone can grab some berserker Axes and go around stunning and attacking people. But there're a few "skilled" people that are able to perform a "perfect" stun-lock with the maximum possible damage dealt in between.
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    edited July 2009

So do you mean I don't use 'will' when fighting a bm/barb, or use it to avoid

sleep from clerics? Or I don't sutra at the appropriate time? Or maybe I don't

use leap forward to get close to a ranged attacker? Maybe I don't Roar of Pride

to stun an opponent?
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Most Axe users in our server suck (you can already tell, because any BM fighting on the floor shows little knowledge/experience in PvP).

The ones that really know how to use their weapon are already level 9x~1xx or they quitted the game.

But if you compare both weapons to their full performance, using the skills they should, etc. You will see that Axe requires much more strategy and "skill" than any other weapon.

Anyone can grab some berserker Axes and go around stunning and attacking people. But there're a few "skilled" people that are able to perform a "perfect" stun-lock with the maximum possible damage dealt in between.

The same applies to sword bm's, personally I've been playing since cb(I like to
    enjoy the game, and pvp) I'm pretty sure their are some good axe users (Diety, maybe) But I wouldn't say they're any better then sword users in skill.
  • Lyndura - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    So do you mean I don't use 'will' when fighting a bm/barb, or use it to avoid

sleep from clerics? Or I don't sutra at the appropriate time? Or maybe I don't

use leap forward to get close to a ranged attacker? Maybe I don't use Lions

Roar to stun an opponent?

That is something any single BM can do, regardless of what weapon they are using. It is not limited to Sword.

But yeah, as I said before, anyone can make a BM and grab a berserker weapon and go around stunning+attacking people and thinking they own. Only a few "skilled" players get to outstand from the massive amount of Axe BM's there are.

If you really are "skilled", if you really you can do better than 99% of the BM's out there. Then I really suggest you to roll Axes, you could do much greater things with that "skill".
  • Armegedon - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    That is something any single BM can do, regardless of what weapon they are using. It is not limited to Sword.

But yeah, as I said before, anyone can make a BM and grab a berserker weapon and go around stunning+attacking people and thinking they own. Only a few "skilled" players get to outstand from the massive amount of Axe BM's there are.

If you really are "skilled", if you really you can do better than 99% of the BM's out there. Then I really suggest you to roll Axes, you could do much greater things with that "skill".

Axe's have already been perfected, Swords have not, so I am sticking to

sword. I want to prove that swords aren't useless and that they can roll

some heads. That's all, so getting back on topic, Sword bms like challenges

and don't care what the majority of pwi says, they just like the look and skill

of swords and they want to create their own way of playing a bm.
  • dekciw
    dekciw Posts: 954 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Swords and fist can be useful if used as a sub weapon rather than a main weapon. If you're going to use a sword, don't uniquely use a sword if you see what I mean, else might as well deem yourself as useless.
    ZzXVdr5.png
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited July 2009

And how do swords require any more skill? With axes you need to time your stuns, with poles you need to take advantage of your range, and with swords... you just spam skills to do damage. You can beat axe bms right now because they can't equip misty ring yet, once they do then they have enough acc to hit you well, plus bm vs. bm is a stupid fight anyway.
  • alkaiza
    alkaiza Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    My words exactly Temblor.... bunch of noobs.... wait! they are Lost City BMs... ok forget about it... we r carebears too for them so who cares about what we say?

They just want to hear this, check this out: "Oh, i never thought about it that way... your are damn right!! ill just buy some reset scrolls and switch to axes yay!! Now i can be one of those 1234568720 Axe bms out there too!! I soooo freakin rock... wait... maybe i should start a nre char!! cause you guys were sooo right, sword BM skills? waste of sp and coins... yeah, ill go pure Axe to kick some butts..."

Go go go get em lol

Sarcasm FTW!