Heavy or light veno?

2»

Comments

• Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    Anyone notice this in the patch preview?

"Fixed an issue where the Venomancer was unable to change into Fox Form while unarmed"

Yep. Makes me curious why they didn't put it in this patch.
  • Angellana - Heavens Tear
    Angellana - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    This topic has really intrested me.I never really thought about the armor much so i just went with arcane and added and mix everything into my attributes. Now i think it really would be better for me to be a LA veno seeing as tho my def. sucks and iam the worst at pk & duels iam thinking LA would have alot more protection during these kinda events. b:pleased

tysm for posting this made me realize how intresting things would get b:victory
  • jojoban
    jojoban Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I have a lvl 68 100% heavy armoured, foxform only veno who has been that way from level 1. She absolutely kicks **** and is really fun to play for the record. I also have a lvl 76 pure mage veno and alternate between the pair when I feel like a change of pace.

For those wondering how to make one - enough strength and dex for current heavy armour, the rest into magic, no vit at all. You are going to be behind in your weapon and therefore your damage and have no agro skill (something that really needs to be addressed given that Venos can be melee chars too) but right now I am lvl 68 and just got my TT60 weapon so it's not that bad, plus your defense is godly. Still, you will have a very hard time tanking in a squad due to your complete lack of an agro grabbing skill and mediocre melee damage - in short you won't hold a boss or mob like a barb or BM would. Every shard other than your weapon's should be +HP shards due to the no vit rule. Your weapon should have +phys attack shards (fox skills use phys damage, not magic damage). When looking for a weapon, the numbers you want to pay attention to are the physical attack numbers on a magic weapon, not the magic attack numbers, also stats that say +phys attack rather than +magic attack are the ones you want.

For those who would argue that magic mobs would **** a heavy armour veno, that's why you have a pet, send it in first to take the initial magic attack then go in and belt it around when it continues to attack physically. So long as you don't get ganged by respawns or try taking on too much there is no need to worry. So far as phys mobs go, feel free to wade in and take on 2-3 while your pet alternates between another two after you get leech and befuddling mist (not an exaggeration, I have often handled 5 mobs with a bit of juggling). You will laugh at how little phys attacks penetrate your defense.

What pet is best? Well, personally I am using the same sharptooth wolfling I got at level 3. Why you ask? It has decent stats and decent speed. I like the pet to get to the mob slightly ahead of me and the wolfling does that. It is also fast enough to switch it's target in a pinch as needed and is not going to die in 1-2 hits. To me it is the best amalgamation between a golem and kowlin I've found so far without spending a ton of coins. You would be surprised how decent a pet it is even at higher levels if you give it bash. Anyone who would scoff is free to bring their similar level kowlin to get it's **** handed to it by my wolfling ;)
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    raizen wrote: »
    I recently went heavy but I am not sure anymore..I am thinking ahead..like what weapon can i put or what armor.The idea was to get the best weapon and a decent armor on me.But I have problems adding points to attributes.I'm a lvl 51 with 155 magic 75 str 23 dex and 20 vit.So how should i set my attributes for heavy?..what will be the latest armor that I can wear?Is it worth it?Should i go on light armor?

Before lvl 90 there is really no point going heavy, will be to hard getting enough stats to carry weapon for your lvl + armor. And you wont refine your gear high enough to make up for the lack of vita. So cant really go heavy at lvl 50 unless you wanna use a lower lvl magic weapon. So use LA or Robe.

90+ best choice for any veno that pvp is heavy/robe mix. As in heavy top + pants and robe boots/wrist etc. Than you get high phy def + high mag def and if you refine gear enough also decent hp.

A LA veno can have slightly more hp tho 90+ since they can put spare points into vita. But LA armor is the worse armor in the game, even arcane gives more overall defense. So if you refine heavy high enough and mix with robe you can get almost same hp as LA veno, far more phy def and more mag def. It takes a bit of money and effort tho. So poor venos go LA b:surrender
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    jojoban wrote: »
    For those who would argue that magic mobs would **** a heavy armour veno, that's why you have a pet, send it in first to take the initial magic attack then go in and belt it around when it continues to attack physically.

If you use the mdef on arcane armor as 100%, here's how the def of the different armor types breaks down:

Arcame pdef: 11%
    Arcane mdef: 100%

Light pdef: 43%
    Light mdef: 67%

Heavy pdef: 100%
    Heavy mdef: 43%

So while heavy armor is more vulnerable to magic damage, it's nowhere near as vulnerable as arcane is to physical damage. You're not gonna fold like a house of cards the instant you're hit by magic.