Thoughts on shards

Julietoo - Sanctuary
Julietoo - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Archer
So pretty much everyone in game seems to only use either Citrine Shards for HP, or garnet shards for PA/PD. I'm wondering if there are some better options that might give more strength to different areas for archers.

My question is to ask which is better. High HP PD and PA or an alternative I'm suggesting bellow.

Typical Build
In what I consider the more typical build most people would refine all their gear to +4/or5 to give them an HP boost. Then Max socket everything and add either 4 immaculate/perfect/flawless citrine shards to all their armor or 4 Garnet shards. This would either give them even more HP or higher PD.

For the Archers weapon (bow/xbow/slingshot) i think most people load it up with garnet shards and refining to boost its PA.

Alternative Build
In this build I would still max refine everything possible to get as much hp as possible.
On all/most of my armor I would use Amber Shards to get way more evasion. This would make it really hard for barbs, bms, pets, and other archers to even hit me. I'm still moderately weak against clerics and wiz's but PD wouldn't help that either and would still be better off then other classes cause of Light armor.

On the weapon I was wondering if it wold be better to use the elemental shards (probably the metal one to increase metal attack). The difference being that elemental shards give twice as much attack damage then garnet ones. Ex 2 flawless garnet shards would give +50 PA (2* 25 each) but 2 flawless elemental (alabaster) shards would give you +100 metal dmg. So my question is against a same lvl character which do you think is better.

Thoughts
My thoughts are that against a heavy armor wearer +50 PA is only going to convert to about an extra 10-20 hp damage per shot. where an extra 100 metal might do around 75 extra damage per shot. Against arcane armor you might only get an extra 40-80 hp damage but your high PA from normal weapon should still be enough to kill them.

For the armor I am basically sacrificing PD and some of my HP for High evasion. My thoughts are that archers should play partially to their strengths. If I could get evasion really high then add in the 35% maxed evasion buff, then another 10% from Pirate King seal (lvl 77 leg belt) and maybe some other items. You should be able to get your evasion high enough that most players have a really tough chance of even landing a PA on you.

In this case I am still leaving myself some what open to mag attacks, which the only solution seems to be is more hp. My hope was that with enough refining I could just have enough HP to protect from a couple hits so that I cold hit them harder and faster. or use wings of grace to get away.

I'd be curious to here if anyone else has any alternative builds or ideas that they are using or have thoughts on my ideas.
Post edited by Julietoo - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Neltharius - Heavens Tear
    Neltharius - Heavens Tear Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    So pretty much everyone in game seems to only use either Citrine Shards for HP, or garnet shards for PA/PD. I'm wondering if there are some better options that might give more strength to different areas for archers.

My question is to ask which is better. High HP PD and PA or an alternative I'm suggesting bellow.

Typical Build
    In what I consider the more typical build most people would refine all their gear to +4/or5 to give them an HP boost. Then Max socket everything and add either 4 immaculate/perfect/flawless citrine shards to all their armor or 4 Garnet shards. This would either give them even more HP or higher PD.

For the Archers weapon (bow/xbow/slingshot) i think most people load it up with garnet shards and refining to boost its PA.

Alternative Build
    In this build I would still max refine everything possible to get as much hp as possible.
    On all/most of my armor I would use Amber Shards to get way more evasion. This would make it really hard for barbs, bms, pets, and other archers to even hit me. I'm still moderately weak against clerics and wiz's but PD wouldn't help that either and would still be better off then other classes cause of Light armor.

On the weapon I was wondering if it wold be better to use the elemental shards (probably the metal one to increase metal attack). The difference being that elemental shards give twice as much attack damage then garnet ones. Ex 4 flawless garnet shards would give +100 PA (4* 25 each) but 4 flawless elemental (alabaster) shards would give you +200 metal dmg. So my question is against a same lvl character which do you think is better.

Thoughts
    My thoughts are that against a heavy armor wearer +100 PA is only going to convert to about an extra 20-40 hp damage per shot. where an extra 200 metal might do around 150 extra damage per shot. Against arcane armor you might only get an extra 40-80 hp damage but your high PA from normal weapon should still be enough to kill them.

For the armor I am basically sacrificing PD and some of my HP for High evasion. My thoughts are that archers should play partially to their strengths. If I could get evasion really high then add in the 35% maxed evasion buff, then another 10% from Pirate King seal (lvl 77 leg belt) and maybe some other items. You should be able to get your evasion high enough that most players have a really tough chance of even landing a PA on you.

In this case I am still leaving myself some what open to mag attacks, which the only solution seems to be is more hp. My hope was that with enough refining I could just have enough HP to protect from a couple hits so that I cold hit them harder and faster. or use wings of grace to get away.

I'd be curious to here if anyone else has any alternative builds or ideas that they are using or have thoughts on my ideas.

first off.. on your example... you cant possibly get 4 shards on a weapon.
    max is 2

second, citrine is the best road for their armor.
    why?
    because they don't specifically have high mdef or pdef
    so choosing either mdef or pdef shards will make the other def lack
    evasion shards ? seriously ? then that'll make you completely weak against venos, mages, and clerics. do you seriously want to give in to these classes JUST to kill the others?
    your solution for HP is refining... but refining will get very expensive if you wanna refine to the point that HP increase makes a difference.
    i think being different is cool sometimes, but not when it means you won't perform as well.
    if most people have this shard build for their equipments it's because it works...
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i've thought about refining pattack rings and pdef ornaments for pdef and sharding mdef.

wonder how well that'd work out
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
    edited July 2009
    i've thought about refining pattack rings and pdef ornaments for pdef and sharding mdef.

that sounds a bit more reasonable than the evasion
    but i think that citrine is so much more useful
    because it doesnt specifically help against patk or matk
    it helps against everything
    either way, if ur going to work hard on ur equips, ur gonna refine everything.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited July 2009

Hmm well the only stat you can't get from refine is more MP so how about you put MP shards in all your gear, refine your armor for HP, refine a might ring for physical defense, refine an elemental neck for magic defense, and refine an evasion belt for more evasion :) That way you have ALL your bases covered :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Seveneyes - Harshlands
    Seveneyes - Harshlands Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Elemental shards in weapons is definitely the way to go. I can't believe people (bms/barbs too) actually use garnet shards for weapons. Not only do elemental shards give a much better bonus, but they are much better against bms/barbs. Who are actually the opponent we have the most trouble with.

An in-game friend of mine, who's an 8x archer uses the accuracy/evasion shards on both his weapon and his armour. This obviously gives a good bonus to accuracy and an even better one to evasion.

Testing his build out in PvP vs other archers of his level, these shards surprisingly make a large difference. He said in every fight the misses the opponent had were significant enough to effect the outcome. Plus he rarely missed himself.

Take those results and put them vs a bm/barb/venos pet and the results would be even better. (Although a nix has a large accuracy stat so don't expect the glitched bleed to miss often, though with HP shards your not that better off).

I currently am able to go up against higher level clerics and wizards and have a good chance to win. So I have no regrets about losing a bit of resistances vs them. Instead I want every edge I can get vs bms/barbs.

Saying all this, my current shards are the standard set... (I like HP for tanking fbs/bosses)
  • OOSNOWFOXOo - Sanctuary
    OOSNOWFOXOo - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Totally WRONG about elemental attack shard and phy attack shard.
    The elemental shards simply add that amount of w.e magic attack to each shot/skill.
    But the phy attack shard is multiplied by you dex. 100 phy attack adds about 600avg more phy base attack for me. A perfect garnet would add 240 base attack, which is way more than the elemental shard would add.
    And plus on you metal skills, you PHY base damage is convert into metal damage, so the more PHY base damage you have, the more metal damage you have against BMs.
  • Julietoo - Sanctuary
    Julietoo - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Totally WRONG about elemental attack shard and phy attack shard.
    The elemental shards simply add that amount of w.e magic attack to each shot/skill.
    But the phy attack shard is multiplied by you dex. 100 phy attack adds about 600avg more phy base attack for me. A perfect garnet would add 240 base attack, which is way more than the elemental shard would add.

thanks for the info on that, I wasn't sure to be honest how the element attack bonus would be applied.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    b:cry halp stoopid ast is making fun of me

but anyways...shouldn't people be getting thunderstorm to help against bm/barbs?
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Hmm well the only stat you can't get from refine is more MP so how about you put MP shards in all your gear, refine your armor for HP, refine a might ring for physical defense, refine an elemental neck for magic defense, and refine an evasion belt for more evasion :) That way you have ALL your bases covered :D

lol b:chuckle
  • Suiryujin - Sanctuary
    Suiryujin - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    evasion doesnt work well on pet, espeically not nix. nix has some insanely high accuracy or w/e, a nix miss less on me then archers running misty.
    so evasion shards will only help with archer, bm, barbs u are missing out on the other 3 classes. if its only for Pking sure, evasion might work, but if u take into account TW, u shouldnt be fighting and getting killed by barbs and bms anyway, so evasion really only helps with archer. thats only 1 of the 4 main class u might be fighting in tw if u use evasion (archer cleric veno wiz) so evasion for tw is...not such a good idea.
    My body is made of swords.
    Iron is my blood, and glass is my heart.
    I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated,
    Without once retreating,
    Nor once being understood.
    Always alone, intoxicated with victory on the hill of swords.
    Therefore, there is no meaning to that life.
    Perhaps this body is nothing but a sword itself.
  • Lunnark - Sanctuary
    Lunnark - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    thanks for the info on that, I wasn't sure to be honest how the element attack bonus would be applied.

Physical Vs Magic Attack Shards
    Yes, this is true : archers should use garnet shards because the final damage output is calculated after taking into consideration Dex. In the end the flat 100 damage offered by a metal attack shard for e.g. will be surpassed by the final physical damage offered by garnet which will grow exponential to your Dex increase.

Evasion shads Vs Citrine Shards
    This explanation needs to be devise playing the game into 2 parts :
    PvP - For PvP Citrines should cover it better in my opinion, but Evasion is not such a bad idea. Still, as stated above : you will sacrifice some defense against magic attack classes for gaining the upper hand on physical attack classes. Unfortunately is not a Win-Win situation.
    PvE - For grinding, questing and other daily activities Evasion is really not worth it after level 50-60. Too many mobs have magic attack, which makes you Evasion useless (magic attacks can not be evaded) and Physical Defense shards less useful --> again Citrines seems the only reasonable way to go.

All this said, keep in mind that you are on a PvE server. Unless you go white named and do TW weekly, Evasion has no purpose or real use.

Cheers Jul !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    How about I go with citrine till I have ~4k hp and then Mag res shards?
    I kill things b:victory
  • Lunnark - Sanctuary
    Lunnark - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    How about I go with citrine till I have ~4k hp and then Mag res shards?

The thing is, when you will have 4000 HP, normal mobs will hit you for 800-900 probably. Everything goes up exponential in PW. The smart thing to do is get as much magic defense (if you do consider it important) from your ornaments (but never from the ring : use only Might Rings that give you x% Crit Hit + %Acc). You can choose you armor pieces selecting ones that have different elemental defense (you should prioritize this too : a piece of armor with a decent Dex bonus, or -Interval is more important than magic defense) and keep is sharded with Citrine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Well, I meant it more like I sacrafice Ph defense and go for all mag defense.
    I would be weak against physical attacks but I think we are more meant to kill magical classes.
    I kill things b:victory
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I am unsure as to why this debate is taking place.

Simply have 2 copies of the armor set. Each set will have its own type of shards.

Many players do that already with weapons (one PvE, one PvP). Do the same with your +5 armor pieces and jewelry.

=)
    edited July 2009
    I am unsure as to why this debate is taking place.

Simply have 2 copies of the armor set. Each set will have its own type of shards.

Many players do that already with weapons (one PvE, one PvP). Do the same with your +5 armor pieces and jewelry.

=)

of course guys
    cuz we all have enough money to afford two sets of everything with different shards

problem solved

Edit: Now that i thought about it, I'm going to get 6 different sets of armor.
    All of them sharded differently. Each one will be specialized to fight each different class.
    Yeah..
  • OOSNOWFOXOo - Sanctuary
    OOSNOWFOXOo - Sanctuary Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    of course guys
    cuz we all have enough money to afford two sets of everything with different shards

problem solved

...A Immu element shard I cannot even sell for 100k..I npced 4 immu element shards now lol...
  • Suiryujin - Sanctuary
    Suiryujin - Sanctuary Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    post it for like 20k in AH ea and someone will buy it>.> fail moar
    My body is made of swords.
    Iron is my blood, and glass is my heart.
    I have overcome countless battlefields undefeated,
    Without once retreating,
    Nor once being understood.
    Always alone, intoxicated with victory on the hill of swords.
    Therefore, there is no meaning to that life.
    Perhaps this body is nothing but a sword itself.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Edit: Now that i thought about it, I'm going to get 6 different sets of armor.
    All of them sharded differently. Each one will be specialized to fight each different class.
    Yeah..

No, no, you are thinking too small. You have to deal with LA Cleric vs. Arcane Cleric, and do not forget about the Heavy Veno.

=)
  • Waterboy - Lost City
    Waterboy - Lost City Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    y is this even a discussion?

garnet givs +pys dmg on wepon = mor dmg on metal skills(they get there dmg from ur pys dmg....)

critine givs +hp so u dont die :), ur an archer u take hits(winged shiled,wings of grace,sage spark<-lol)

elemental shards r so useless, i seriously laugh when i c an archer with +fire/metal dmg on there wepons

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/8000/lolarcher.png <- ^^
  • neokedge5
    neokedge5 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    ~Evasion Shard:
    Evasion is a joke.. since all meele n archers will have a mysty ring which make it so hard for them to miss.. The only time it would work is with lower n poor races
    ~Accuracy Shard:
    We arleayd have "highest acurracy" which is a joke.. cus its not even true..
    Again.. u will have to save for a mysty ring if ya want flawless accuracy~
    b:surrender expensive but worth it
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    neokedge5 wrote: »
    ~Evasion Shard:
    Evasion is a joke.. since all meele n archers will have a mysty ring which make it so hard for them to miss.. The only time it would work is with lower n poor races
    ~Accuracy Shard:
    We arleayd have "highest acurracy" which is a joke.. cus its not even true..
    Again.. u will have to save for a mysty ring if ya want flawless accuracy~
    b:surrender expensive but worth it

Misty rings should never ever EVER be on an Archer... >.<
  • Linxxi - Lost City
    Linxxi - Lost City Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Misty rings should never ever EVER be on an Archer... >.<

why notb:surrender
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    why notb:surrender

+50% accuracy on an archer for 8mil+... seriously? =/

You have many other choices in terms of rings giving better benefits than +50% accuracy. It's just simply a no-no.
  • Linxxi - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    it only cost 4m-5m depends
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    i think it's more like...2 crits on one finger is too good to pass by. but theres...mastodon strength! b:sin
    edited July 2009
    No, no, you are thinking too small. You have to deal with LA Cleric vs. Arcane Cleric, and do not forget about the Heavy Veno.

=)

b:shocked omg you're so right !
    1 Pure Cleric
    2 Hybrid Cleric
    3 Vit Cleric
    4 LA Cleric
    5 Pure Wiz
    6 LA Wiz
    7 Hybrid Wiz
    8 Pure Veno
    9 HA Veno
    10 LA Veno
    11 Tank Barb
    12 Bowbarian (you never noe)
    13 Axe/Hammer BM (Vit Based)
    14 Axe/Hammer BM (Dex Based)
    15 Axe/Hammer BM (Str Based)
    16 Fist BM (Dex Based)
    17 Fist BM (Str Based)
    18 Polearm BM (Str Based)
    19 Polearm BM (Dex Based)
    20 Polearm BM (Vit Based)
    21 Sword BM (Dex Based)
    22 Sword BM (Str Based)
    23 Pure Archer
    24 Hybrid Archers (aka fails)
    25 PVE

you're so right
    I need around 25 different sets.

i need to upgrade my inventory to fit all of em and start massing TT and world bosses
    hopefully ill get enough mats and money from those to get all my sets and shard em and refine em well.
    in 20 years ill be the best archer to ever live O_O

Thanks to this post for the inspiration
  • Linxxi - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Guy above..
    GTFO... Go play wit ur barb-ies
    edited July 2009
    girl above
    if you don't like my posts then don't read them