Lagging on a Mac

cupcakelaady
cupcakelaady Posts: 16 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Support Desk
My boyfriend is on a Mac and has windows on it as well, XP. He's tried playing PWI but said that he experiences quite a bit of lag. He has wi fi and everything else seems to run just fine, only PWI has issues. I checked this page: http://pwi.perfectworld.com/download/installation ...and showed him it as well and he said that he believes he meets all the requirements but it's still laggy. Is there anything he could do?
Post edited by cupcakelaady on

Comments

• Anders - Lost City
    Anders - Lost City Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    how would you like to invest in a PC?
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    Pfft. I hope you aren't suggesting PCs are infallible. b:chuckle I very clearly stated that other software : games included : work fine, PWI is the only one lagging.

If you don't know how to solve any tech issues, you really shouldn't be in the tech forum. Dumb remarks aren't needed as they're quite plentiful.
  • Anders - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Pfft. I hope you aren't suggesting PCs are infallible. b:chuckle I very clearly stated that other software : games included : work fine, PWI is the only one lagging.

If you don't know how to solve any tech issues, you really shouldn't be in the tech forum. Dumb remarks aren't needed as they're quite plentiful.

Macs just act weird sometimes, my sisters mac always nukes when she's using alot of Space.

My PC runs PWI PERFECT and is 3 years old and hasn't been upgraded :o
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    Macs just act weird sometimes, my sisters mac always nukes when she's using alot of Space.

My PC runs PWI PERFECT and is 3 years old and hasn't been upgraded :o

And I've had an HP for 7 months and the volume already broke and the left click broke almost entirely. I had a SONY for six months a while back and it crashed and refused to start back up. Our Gateway wasn't much better. And yet the only issue my boyfriend has had with his Mac which is two or three years old is with this game. Why would he pay for a PC to play a FREE game when others work perfect? Under warranty, mine is still shtick, his has more than paid for itself and he hasn't had half the trouble I've had.

Again, if you don't know anything, you're wasting your time. And I've found that people who are anti Mac usually can't afford them and are merely jealous.
  • Anders - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    And I've had an HP for 7 months and the volume already broke and the left click broke almost entirely. I had a SONY for six months a while back and it crashed and refused to start back up. Our Gateway wasn't much better. And yet the only issue my boyfriend has had with his Mac which is two or three years old is with this game. Why would he pay for a PC to play a FREE game when others work perfect? Under warranty, mine is still shtick, his has more than paid for itself and he hasn't had half the trouble I've had.

Again, if you don't know anything, you're wasting your time. And I've found that people who are anti Mac usually can't afford them and are merely jealous.

volume? was it the soundcard? if not, buy new speakers. and the mouse usually breaks on a PC. I can afford a mac, I just know alot about PC's and enjoy the challenge.
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    volume? was it the soundcard? if not, buy new speakers. and the mouse usually breaks on a PC. I can afford a mac, I just know alot about PC's and enjoy the challenge.

I don't know what it was, the touchpad refused to respond shortly after I got it. And dude...it's not even a year old...suggesting that I BUY NEW PARTS to replace whatever breaks is silly. It's under manufacturer and store warranty. What's the point in paying for the warranty if I'm just going to replace everything that breaks? It's a laptop, I'm not carrying around a mouse and a screen and speakers but I suppose you may have just incorrectly assumed it was a desktop. Either way, I'm not replacing stuff when they should fix it. If it's common practice for PC suppliers not to fix their products when they're faulty, they're most definitely not worth it.

And I don't know if you can afford a Mac or not, all I know is that what you own now isn't even up to date and you haven't actually said anything helpful or educated so I already know you aren't a tech guy. I'm at a TECH SCHOOl and most people either choose HP or Apple. The guys who are really into it go for Mac. And I believe about 25% of the computer market belongs to Apple solely which means the other 75% is split up between Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, etc. That's pretty good. And considering the fact that most people use PC's, I'd say they're not a challenge as not everyone is skilled with computers anyways.
  • Anders - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    I don't know what it was, the touchpad refused to respond shortly after I got it. And dude...it's not even a year old...suggesting that I BUY NEW PARTS to replace whatever breaks is silly. It's under manufacturer and store warranty. What's the point in paying for the warranty if I'm just going to replace everything that breaks? It's a laptop, I'm not carrying around a mouse and a screen and speakers but I suppose you may have just incorrectly assumed it was a desktop. Either way, I'm not replacing stuff when they should fix it. If it's common practice for PC suppliers not to fix their products when they're faulty, they're most definitely not worth it.

And I don't know if you can afford a Mac or not, all I know is that what you own now isn't even up to date and you haven't actually said anything helpful or educated so I already know you aren't a tech guy. I'm at a TECH SCHOOl and most people either choose HP or Apple. The guys who are really into it go for Mac. And I believe about 25% of the computer market belongs to Apple soley which means the other 75% is split up between Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, etc. That's pretty good. And considering the fact that most people use PC's, I'd say they're not a challenge as not everyone is skilled with computers anyways.

Laptop? Have fun with PWI on a laptop, I know I dont.
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    Laptop? Have fun with PWI on a laptop, I know I dont.

Works fine on my HP. All games have. The only problems I've had are with hardware. The touch sensitive volume control was faulty from the start and is now totally dead despite not being used because it didn't work right from the get go. The left click button broke while I was playing another game several months ago. I made to click on another player to see his stats when it just went right down into the computer and now it only responds about 50% of the time. Other than that, the software runs fine. I think HP computers just tend to be made cheap. Everyone I've talked to doesn't like them. One guy said he has one but it broke shortly after he got it. He tried to get them to repair it but they refused every time he tried so he bought another computer instead. My co worker had the same problem. This is the first and last HP I'll ever purchase, that's for sure. I've been fighting to have it repaired for four or five weeks now. >.<

Anyways, yeah...it runs just fine, I've played all sorts of games on it, about a dozen in the last year.
  • Anders - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Works fine on my HP. All games have. The only problems I've had are with hardware. The touch sensitive volume control was faulty from the start and is now totally dead despite not being used because it didn't work right from the get go. The left click button broke while I was playing another game several months ago. I made to click on another player to see his stats when it just went right down into the computer and now it only responds about 50% of the time. Other than that, the software runs fine. I think HP computers just tend to be made cheap. Everyone I've talked to doesn't like them. One guy said he has one but it broke shortly after he got it. He tried to get them to repair it but they refused every time he tried so he bought another computer instead. My co worker had the same problem. This is the first and last HP I'll ever purchase, that's for sure. I've been fighting to have it repaired for four or five weeks now. >.<

Anyways, yeah...it runs just fine, I've played all sorts of games on it, about a dozen in the last year.

I still don't understand the issue at hand and refuse to get into an argument with someone who types that much and shortens my attention span. I've encountered some Calligraphic/Japanese writing with the genie update, and it lags me tremendously.
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    I still don't understand the issue at hand and refuse to get into an argument with someone who types that much and shortens my attention span. I've encountered some Calligraphic/Japanese writing with the genie update, and it lags me tremendously.

Then why are you here? You can't read more than a few sentences at a time and seem to still be in high school. You haven't said one thing relating to the issue at hand and can't understand what was in the OP which was very short and concise. He's on a Mac. He has XP. Every other game he's played works fine but this one. It lags. That's very simple, if you cannot understand that, stop trying to pretend you're a tech guy because you are not.
  • Anders - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    Then why are you here? You can't read more than a few sentences at a time and seem to still be in high school. You haven't said one thing relating to the issue at hand and can't understand what was in the OP which was very short and concise. He's on a Mac. He has XP. Every other game he's played works fine but this one. It lags. That's very simple, if you cannot understand that, stop trying to pretend you're a tech guy because you are not.

He has vista, and I graduated at the age of 17 from high school, thank you.
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    He has vista, and I graduated at the age of 17 from high school, thank you.

He has XP and you should still be in high school if your attention span is this short. You're welcome.
  • Anders - Lost City
    edited July 2009
    He has XP and you should still be in high school if your attention span is this short. You're welcome.

or, I have Attention Deficit Disorder.
  • surtr
    surtr Posts: 3,378 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2009
    This is your only warning, both of you: cut the Mac/PC argument now, or take it to PMs. This forum is for providing technical support, not arguing about which platform is superior.

That being said, I'm afraid I can't really help you on this since we do not offer support for non-Windows operating systems. There are, however, a number of users running the game on Macs via Boot Camp, VMWare, or other similar packages who should be able to assist you.
    ==/Senior QA Lead/==

Surtr from the south wielding fire
    The gods' swords shine in the darkness, like stars in the night
    Mountains collapse into rubble and fiends shall fall
    Man walks the road to ruin as the sky splits in two

• LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I dont see why everyone's HP computer manages to break somehow. I have two HP computers, (3 years and 1 year old). Both of them are still running fine. It is true that they are built rather cheap (most have integrated graphics and such). But hey, $450 for a computer with a 20inch or so monitor, thats pretty good for non gamers. Only thing is, their customer support is terrible. Never really bothered with macs, so I wouldnt know.

My boyfriend is on a Mac and has windows on it as well, XP

Does that mean hes experiencing lag with XP running on his mac, or running PWI on the actual mac, or both. Also, suggested requirements are rather low, by just meeting those, Im sure you'll experience lag. What are his actual specs?
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.
  • cupcakelaady
    edited July 2009
    or, I have Attention Deficit Disorder.

Either way, you haven't said anything helpful yet. It takes absolutely no education whatsoever to say, "PC's are better than Macs." or vice versa, everyone has an opinion. But I studied Information Technology at a tech school for a year and I've seen these guys at work there and at my place of employment and that is not what they do. They fix what is broken, they don't throw stuff out and say, "I dunno, my attention span is short, Macs suck."

And btw, my boyfriend also graduated at 17. So did another girl I know who can't even spell properly or put together a coherent sentence. Graduating isn't what's key, learning is and you don't know technology so I'll wait until someone who does comes along. But thanks for doing the same thing everyone else who wishes they were an IT person does.
    Surtr wrote: »
    This is your only warning, both of you: cut the Mac/PC argument now, or take it to PMs. This forum is for providing technical support, not arguing about which platform is superior.

That being said, I'm afraid I can't really help you on this since we do not offer support for non-Windows operating systems. There are, however, a number of users running the game on Macs via Boot Camp, VMWare, or other similar packages who should be able to assist you.

Sorry, I missed this before I answered.

I think a person should be able to post a question without being talked down to by someone who can't help though, that's ridiculous.
    I dont see why everyone's HP computer manages to break somehow. I have two HP computers, (3 years and 1 year old). Both of them are still running fine. It is true that they are built rather cheap (most have integrated graphics and such). But hey, $450 for a computer with a 20inch or so monitor, thats pretty good for non gamers. Only thing is, their customer support is terrible. Never really bothered with macs, so I wouldnt know.

My boyfriend is on a Mac and has windows on it as well, XP

Does that mean hes experiencing lag with XP running on his mac, or running PWI on the actual mac, or both. Also, suggested requirements are rather low, by just meeting those, Im sure you'll experience lag. What are his actual specs?

I'll have to ask him what his specs are.

As for the HP thing, I don't know either. I'm one of three that I know who have had problems. I don't think it'd be so bad if their tech support was better but like you sad, they suck. I'm under their warranty and the store's and they still wanted to charge me $300 to fix the left click button. They didn't even acknowledge that the volume control was dead either and my brother's professor, a guy who works on computers, said that he could fix that sort of thing in under a day. I declined to have them fix it and sent it to the store and when my Dad went in to complain, they finally caved and fixed it themselves. But it's taken five weeks.

EDIT: 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, and a 256 MB NVIDIA card
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    You can get lag for a number of reasons.

Not enough RAM.

Not enough RAM for running Crossover Games then PWI.

Bad network connection.

and many more.
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera
This discussion has been closed.