LA or Vit build > Full Mag

Options
GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver
GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Cleric
Im sick of all these people tryna tell me "Full mag is the only way to go, anything else is a waste"

LA has less HP, more defense thus moderate survivability durin earlier stages until you can put HP shards on ur armor

Vit has more HP, less defense tho, the increase in health will make you have moderate survivability in the earlier stages until u can put phy def shards on ur armor.

Full mag. Ok, everyone that ONLY pve's this is ok for you, but if you plan to pvp any in your future, you really need to think twice about this build. No phy def what so ever, and every class in the game can deal phy def. Tho u will have superior mag def from robes, but vit has this as well. You will be 1-2 shotted in TW.

Now i was talking with some guy that i thought knew what he was talking about yesterday. He was saying, "Im full mag, thats the only way to go, anything else is a waste" and i was like ok, "So when your in a TW, you will get one shotted" He said "Not if you know what your doing" i was like Hold on a sec, knowing what your doing has nothing to do with the fact that you have no phy def and cant live if a fly lands on your robe. Everybody will get suprised attacked by an archer in TW, theres nothing you can do to prevent it.

Even in FB's, if you accidently get healing aggro, you can take the hits. It gives u enuf time to throw up plume shell and then spam iron heart until someone grabs aggro from the monster. Vit or LA at higher levels has very good survivability, and im sorry you mag w.hores, but i want to live long enuf to help my faction and not be a chicken and run away from a fly.
Whats your opinion?
Post edited by GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Leonnator - Sanctuary
    Leonnator - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I'm pure mag and can't even take on too many monsters without to heal and burn through my mp, heck even when I don't heal I still burn through mana like crazy so if your are vit or la the mana is going to low and therefore slow grinding (unless you pot like crazy or buy a charm)
    Casters FTWb:victory
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    that's entirely untrue leonator. with 1 heal, maybe 2 based on the status of the mob, i can tank 3-5 physical mobs at once. that's not burning my mp. i have maybe 500 mp less than a pure int char my level, that's not really a significant difference.
  • GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I agree, from lvl 1-39 i have had zero problem with MP. I have 3k MP at lvl 39 right now with LA build and i dont see a reason for me to need any more to be honest.
  • Elvenhawk - Dreamweaver
    Elvenhawk - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I think all three builds have their own merits and are viable during different stages of the game.

Levels 1 to 60 I went pure. Why? Because I’m on a PvE server, I don’t intend to PvP until post 60 and I wanted to get to the more interesting parts of the game as soon as I could. With moderate playing, it took me just shy of 3 weeks.

Post 60, I changed to a 6/3/1 Vitality build. I love it so far. I now feel far more confident during my Faction’s FB runs, I’m far from the ‘weakest link’ when doing TT runs and I’ve now started to duel and occasionally go white named when I’m not doing anything else. It’s been fun.

So there you have it: I’ve utilised 2 different builds in order to maximise speed and efficiency when levelling. I’m not going to trash-talk any of them simply because for what I wanted to do at the time, they were the most viable options to take.

Who knows…I might even try out LA Build at one point…I hear there’s some pretty nice moulds at affordable prices at later levels!

Peace,

EH
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Elf Priest | Dreamweaver | Faction: Mayhem
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Ive gotten to lvl 39 in about 10 days of moderate gameplay with LA. I think that since im going to be LA for TW, then why not just use it from the get go to save my money for weapons and charms instead of stat resets.
  • meaangirl
    meaangirl Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You're on carebear server. You're 3x. Go pure mag. Restat to vit @ 60.
  • picktown
    picktown Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    How the heck are you guys leveling so fast?... I've been playing for several weeks now and I am only level 30... and that's playing 5 or so hours a day 5 days a week...
  • Sylvana_gw - Sanctuary
    Sylvana_gw - Sanctuary Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    picktown wrote: »
    How the heck are you guys leveling so fast?... I've been playing for several weeks now and I am only level 30... and that's playing 5 or so hours a day 5 days a week...

How the heck are you leveling so slow? got to 60 in 5 weeks (slowed down to lvl manu skills)
  • SATII - Lost City
    SATII - Lost City Posts: 202 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    LA has the same HP as pure mag, disregarding equip bonuses and shards. And contrary to what you said, LA is a piece of **** in the early stages. Even late game, LA isn't that great for a cleric. It gimps a cleric too much to make it useful, whereas a mage benefits greatly from the extra crit to spike, making it viable for mages. The crit spikes are good for clerics too, but less important than for a mage.

And pure mag is good from 1-50, maybe 60, unless you plan to do heavy PvP during those levels. The extra attack will help a lot for PvE and if you're gonna be PK'd, well then OK. Who cares? It'll prob be some 8x+ flexing their e-peen anyway so you couldn't do anything about it. After 60, restat or just go 1str 9 vit from there on out.
  • Flyssa - Sanctuary
    Flyssa - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    My little full int cleric may still be young in her life, but I have never had any issues in PvP, PvM etc. You're heals should be able to make up for the lack of defense and the higher you're int=higher mattack=higher healing power, making the full int build very considerable for most gameplay features.
    But don't let people tell you how to play, thats for you decide and as long as you're having fun then you win no matter what. Its not worth making an issue over, or a thread even for that matter b:chuckle

Just watch out for the people that complain when you heal during PvP. Just taking advantage of the features on you're characterb:laugh
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    My little full int cleric may still be young in her life, but I have never had any issues in PvP, PvM etc. You're heals should be able to make up for the lack of defense and the higher you're int=higher mattack=higher healing power, making the full int build very considerable for most gameplay features.
    But don't let people tell you how to play, thats for you decide and as long as you're having fun then you win no matter what. Its not worth making an issue over, or a thread even for that matter b:chuckle

Just watch out for the people that complain when you heal during PvP. Just taking advantage of the features on you're characterb:laugh

You will get down in 1 shot with pure int. For PvP full int really bits dust.
    And believe me when i say that when you Pk, you want more HP then attack when playing a cleric.
    b:dirty
  • Delia - Harshlands
    Delia - Harshlands Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    All three builds have merits, and if the player knows what he or she is doing (how to play that character *and how to equip that character*), any is a fair build, in my opinion. They have a lot of differences though.

For cost-effectiveness, if you're a low-budget cleric, vit is probably the easiest way to gain the survivability you will need for HH (Twilight Temple / Holy Hall).

I'm pure magic. Yeah, I know, bring on the hate >.>. I'm level 76 (for those who read this at a later date), have 2.6k HP and 2.4k pdef self-buffed (44% damage reduction), and 350 magic.

All my equips are auction house (and on Harshlands' limited selection that took some work), with the highest refinement being +2, which I did myself. Most are +1 because that's easy to do with.

PvE: I did multiple HH80 runs at 74, and survived everything the group asked of from a single cleric. Not all the bosses, but a good deal of them (including drum)

PvP: Yes, I die in PvP a lot. I also kill a lot. I've beaten 7x archers, blademasters, and 8x wizards. barbs are just impossible to kill (though if I heal and don't attempt to kill them they usually can't kill me either), and venos all have phoenixes now, making LA venos basically impossible, though I haven't fought enough 7x ones to know 100%. 8x ones destroy me though. I've fought very few clerics; not sure why.

TW: Yes, this build is not optimal for healing in TWs. I don't intend it to be. However I can kill people. I repeatedly 2-shot a level 74 archer in the TW I was in the other day. I got lucky the way cyclone and poisoned-wield-thunder hit for 45% then 60%.

As to solo PvP, I try to get them to 50-60% health, sleep, magic-debuff, extreme-poison, and double-spark-wield thunder or tempest. I find this works well against BMs and archers. Plume shot takes out wizards (if plume isn't hitting hard enough, or you know they're LA, the previous combo might work).

Most group PvP I've been in involves 3v1 vs me... and I admit I've yet to do well at that (a vit build would do better there).
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    meaangirl wrote: »
    You're on carebear server. You're 3x. Go pure mag. Restat to vit @ 60.

All servers look the same to me.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Yeah im just saying. Im gonna be TW all the time once i get 65+ and i want a build that i can trust in. I think that its easier to put HP shards on ur armor than to put phys def shards. Thus in my opinion making LA easier on myself. I refuse to go Full mag, i am hitting for plenty now, i 4 shot almost every enemy and if i dont feel like healing i'll just kite them. Thing is, im getting WoF today or tommarow and refining it to +3 so i will be hitting for a good 2500, asuming my clanmates "Storys" were correct. She was hitting for 3k a shot wid wield thunder and shes full mag, so me being LA ill hit for probably 400-500 less, which makes little difference to me.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thing is, im getting WoF today or tommarow and refining it to +3 so i will be hitting for a good 2500, asuming my clanmates "Storys" were correct. She was hitting for 3k a shot wid wield thunder and shes full mag, so me being LA ill hit for probably 400-500 less, which makes little difference to me.
    After 80s is where the mag and vit cleric attacks start to make a significant diff.
    At lv89+ full mag wield thunder can hit 17k-25k a pop =],...or was that tempest lol i forgot b:surrender
    Tested Wield on my 80 cleric friend (duel) just to see dmg. Considering he got decent mag resist the dmg was 3.5k, unsparked, undebuffed.

Choose LA, VIT, or MAG after you get around 65-70+. Thats when alot of bonus stats appear on gears, enough to shuffle clerics into these 'types'.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
    edited June 2009
    Options
    LA has the same HP as pure mag, disregarding equip bonuses and shards. And contrary to what you said, LA is a piece of **** in the early stages. Even late game, LA isn't that great for a cleric. It gimps a cleric too much to make it useful, whereas a mage benefits greatly from the extra crit to spike, making it viable for mages. The crit spikes are good for clerics too, but less important than for a mage.

And pure mag is good from 1-50, maybe 60, unless you plan to do heavy PvP during those levels. The extra attack will help a lot for PvE and if you're gonna be PK'd, well then OK. Who cares? It'll prob be some 8x+ flexing their e-peen anyway so you couldn't do anything about it. After 60, restat or just go 1str 9 vit from there on out.

Honestly explain to me whats the difference between LA and Vit end-game. With armor bonuses they will have almost the exact same resists and HP. Vit will have a little more HP and LA will have a little less mag def, thats it. Plus LA will have a higher max dmg becuz of crits (thats not why i chose LA, im just stating a fact) Vit has 6 mag every two levels and LA also has 6 mag, we shall have around the same healing power in the end, so im not seeing where/why LA is worse than Vit. Explain SAT
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Plus LA will have a higher max dmg becuz of crits (thats not why i chose LA, im just stating a fact)
    I think crits dont really matter for clerics and mages. This is because its based on a percentage. How many hits does it usually take to kill a mob for a cleric, and how many for example, a BM?
    Clerics will kill with 4-6 hits average. Your crit will not be procuring as much as it is suppose to compared to a BM who hits 3x as much to kill and actually gives crit% time to procure.
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • SATII - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Honestly explain to me whats the difference between LA and Vit end-game. With armor bonuses they will have almost the exact same resists and HP. Vit will have a little more HP and LA will have a little less mag def, thats it. Plus LA will have a higher max dmg becuz of crits (thats not why i chose LA, im just stating a fact) Vit has 6 mag every two levels and LA also has 6 mag, we shall have around the same healing power in the end, so im not seeing where/why LA is worse than Vit. Explain SAT

Well firstly, Vit having a little more hp? Try alot more, if your comparing same cost armor. Your looking at the very least, 1k hp difference. Vit builds also provide wiggle room, whereas LA doesn't. Feel a little underpowered? Sacrifice some vit into mag. If you're LA, you don't get that choice. And the crits - you're looking at like 5% crit w/o gears at level 76 (?) as LA. With normal gear you'd have around 8% (blessing, 2 crit rings). 8% is completely laughable. Clerics aren't pouring out nuke after nuke like mages do so the crits aren't even that great. A crit on a sparked WT or a tempest is the only time a crit is useful.
  • Roseddesor - Heavens Tear
    Roseddesor - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I have tried all builds for cleric and this is what I found:
    LA Cleric: Decent defense, survivability is not too shabby. The crit almost means nothing though because it's weak crits doing barely anymore magic then pure Int clerics normal attacks. Also the crit % is too low to mean anything. So as a LA cleric your never going to be a threat, you'll just be a really crappy tank. PvP wise you'll do allot of support while working mostly to keep yourself alive. This does have it's advantages though, there’s always a high need for a offensive rez machine. The problem i find is all the extra Str you put in is completely non effective, which means you spit out X non effective points inevitably. Also your Rank gear is completely useless unless your using a mix of robes/LA which is really dumb lol. And yes Rank gear is leet if you get enough rep for it that is.

Vit Cleric: Defense is squishy however hp more then makes up for the loss of not having LA. HP is the key to any Clerics survivability. You have a little more leeway to have more magic attack but still useless unless your high high magic in making yourself a threat. You lose your crit making you even less of a threat and maybe a little bit more of a tank then LA.. maybe. if your smart. If your going to go Vit it's recommended just go full, and you'll only be successful if you have a good amount more hp then Bm's your level (As being a tank Cleric). However you do get to use your Rank gear effectively, and open up a world for -% channel to be more useful (only if you have ALLOT).

Pure Magic: The 3rd path i tried (note: was more skeptical when choosing this.) Is by far the best especially if you have allot of -%channel (note: ALLOT). You can make up for allot of lost Hp with +++ of gear and +++ HP shards. More easily then trying to make up magic loss on Vit cleric! Also Magic is the hardest thing to obtain via gear so pumping lot's of that only makes sense logically. Your a damage threat now and if your smart can stay alive a long time. What most people don’t understand is Tw is not a solo event it's more about teamwork then anything. Being able to deal more damage is always the best outcome if your good at ganking. Thus (I'm sorry if you don't agree..) Pure Magic Cleric is the smart Cleric, if you can search your thought's and open up your brain you can see that too.
  • SATII - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Of course pure is the best if you can afford it. It's just most people can't because you need everything sharded with g6 citrines or higher and have everything +4 or more. But since most people aren't that ridiculously rich, hybrid is pretty much the best way. Split the excess between vit and mag and make up the rest of the hp with gear you can afford.
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Of course pure is the best if you can afford it. It's just most people can't because you need everything sharded with g6 citrines or higher and have everything +4 or more. But since most people aren't that ridiculously rich, hybrid is pretty much the best way. Split the excess between vit and mag and make up the rest of the hp with gear you can afford.

I have pretty much convinced myself that im switching to Full Vit when i reach level 60, (should be a week or two)

Earlier on at lvl 30 i had complained about not being able to use rank armor, and being Vit build i can have robes ^^ so im finally convinced that LA isnt worth the spent str and dex just for a little more phys def. Just wondering, how much HP do u think lvl 60 FULL Vit Cleric should have, i did it on ecatomb and i came up with around 2500hp at lvl 60, is this about right?
  • Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    without any gears, about 2,100 base at 60
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You sure you dont wanna wait till 70 for full VIT?
    I guess its a diff. story if your spamming rebirth, but i remember 60-68 being the most 'grind grueling' times of my lvl.
  • Deadbone - Lost City
    Deadbone - Lost City Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    full vit or reroll mage
    period
  • DarkYin - Dreamweaver
    DarkYin - Dreamweaver Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    N00b question:
    "Full vit" build is 1 Str, 3 Vit, 6 Mag?
    That's just hybrid, right?

Less than 1 Str or 6 mag means you can't equip the best equipment available.
    Am I missing something?
  • Dianocus - Sanctuary
    Dianocus - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    As a LA Cleric I can say that survivability is longer then being a robe Cleric. When I am robe I can take on no more then two mobs that are the same level at any given time. When I am LA that is different. I can take on an average of two mobs and a max of 4, 5 if I play right. I do however have an MP charm on so that may help. This is what I do when I can take on more then two Taurox Enthusiasts which are located east of tusk town. I select a group and mass Ironheart myself and start off with Tempest then alternate my attacks between the sets and then Ironheart again. Its fairly simple if you know what you are doing. Be warned though it still is tough. Any mistakes could spell doom as I have seen.

I was a robed Cleric until I hit level 40 then switched to LA and possibly will go back to robe when I hit level 80. But like they all say its in how you play the character and what you prefer. I personally went with LA cause I wasn't too fond of my Cleric wearing a "dress"
    edited July 2009
    Options
    As a LA Cleric I can say that survivability is longer then being a robe Cleric if there is no refining and sharding involved, but this may also depend on skill. When I am robe I can take on no more then two mobs that are the same level at any given time. When I am LA that is different. I can take on an average of two mobs and a max of 4, 5 if I play right. I do however have an MP charm on so that may help. This is what I do when I can take on more then two Taurox Enthusiasts which are located east of tusk town. I select a group and mass Ironheart myself and start off with Tempest then alternate my attacks between the sets and then Ironheart again. Its fairly simple if you know what you are doing. Be warned though it still is tough. Any mistakes could spell doom as I have seen.

I was a robed Cleric until I hit level 40 then switched to LA and possibly will go back to robe when I hit level 80. But like they all say its in how you play the character and what you prefer. I personally went with LA cause I wasn't too fond of my Cleric wearing a "dress"
    Fixed. Cause I swear back in my robed NPC-bought gears I took on 4-5 mobs too and survived just fine w/out refine or shards.
  • Dianocus - Sanctuary
    Dianocus - Sanctuary Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Fixed. Cause I swear back in my robed NPC-bought gears I took on 4-5 mobs too and survived just fine w/out refine or shards.

Good point I should have mentioned that in there. Yes I do shard my armor with DEF stones. Even with DEF shards equipped on my robes I was still lacking the survivability part but like you said its all about skill. So in the end any armor could work if you know what you are doing.