Crystalline Or Kowlin?

LadyBastet - Sanctuary
LadyBastet - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
I have been debating on getting a Kowlin, but I would like to know which is a better pet to get. I love my golem but want something different.

How is the Kowlin compared to the Golem?
Post edited by LadyBastet - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Vixe - Heavens Tear
    Vixe - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Tankwise, golem's better. Damage-wise, I think they're close. Speed-wise, Kowlin definitely wins. It depends on you, really. Golem's good at tanking and everything while Kowlin's better at luring and such.
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    kowlins are hands down the most beautiful creatures in the game, i think. they are more versitile than some think, who believe them good only for pulling. i have been using mine recently to hunt towerlings, death knights and other such high level mobs. with Phoenix's great move set ( similar to that of the bird) she can take down mobs faster than a golem can, in general. she *does* need to be babied a bit, by watching her health meter, and backing her up as a secondary function to that. if you are looking for fast knockdown, by a beautiful, sleek streak of black lighting, the kowlin is for you
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • LadyBastet - Sanctuary
    LadyBastet - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    kowlins are hands down the most beautiful creatures in the game, i think. they are more versitile than some think, who believe them good only for pulling. i have been using mine recently to hunt towerlings, death knights and other such high level mobs. with Phoenix's great move set ( similar to that of the bird) she can take down mobs faster than a golem can, in general. she *does* need to be babied a bit, by watching her health meter, and backing her up as a secondary function to that. if you are looking for fast knockdown, by a beautiful, sleek streak of black lighting, the kowlin is for you

very nice discription. So technically the Kowlin is not a sub for the Golem. I know that the Golem is the heavier hitter but which pet as the best end game stats? I do however love the look of the Kowlin and it is very pretty but the question is can I use the Golem as a back up to my kowlin or the other way around. Plus what is the average price for a Kowlin pet egg?

Also with my level 60 golem I am able to tank mobs 20 levels higher then my golem's level. Can a level 60 Kowlin do the same or no?
  • Vixe - Heavens Tear
    Vixe - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    You could, I think, but there'd be some difficulty. I think that if your golem can't handle any mobs, your kowlin definitely won't, so it's not really good as a back up pet. If your kowlin dies, you can use your golem to take care of things better, which is helpful.

Kowlins are also pretty expensive. They range from about 1 mil and up, sometimes going down to 900k, but that's rare.

At around endgame, the golem will have higher hp, higher damage, higher phys. def and mag. def. Kowlin will have higher accuracy, dodge, attack speed and running speed. Kowlin also has a pretty high attack ratio too, but not as high as the golem's.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Kowlins are pointless (as are all "rare" pets), except maybe as a status symbol. They are fast so some people think they are good for pulling, but the truth is a ranged attacker (cactus, eldergoth) makes a far better lurer. Just remember to turn off any special abilities that would cause it to close to melee range.

Actually rare pets aren't completely useless. Occasionally you can find a use for one of its skills but its very situational. I actually have a use for my puppy.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Kowlins are also pretty expensive. They range from about 1 mil and up, sometimes going down to 900k, but that's rare.

That's much cheaper than the cost of the skills it comes with, and it's speed makes it a good delivery vehicle for those debuff skills (for same level mob grinding). Some skills cost 900k alone at NPC.
    At around endgame, the golem will have higher hp, higher damage, higher phys. def and mag. def.

If you're still using a golem as a tanker for endgame: you fail. The Qingfu beetle is more suitable, and the Hercules is easier to obtain than level by level 80. Golems suck as grinders, and have little use on bosses as tankers because many bosses are combined phys/mag with mag often being stronger. Qingfu's are faster. Before pointing out the higher DPS of the Golem, people should realize that all applied skills generate aggro, and Howl on a Qingfu would likely make killing with it faster than killing with a Golem without Howl. Howl is also more useful for squad tanking than bash, flesh ream, etc.
    Kowlins are pointless (as are all "rare" pets), except maybe as a status symbol.

Pounce is one of the rarest pet skills in the game, and probably sells for well over 10m, but comes on the bears. People consider using their Hercules as a lurer, but don't realize that the Armored bear has better mag defense (better for luring), and with Tough; it's about as hardy as a Hercules for the small amount of time they're luring. The bear is faster and comes with an excellent debuff luring skill: Threaten. At Level 84, I was using my Armored Bear in Eden (FB89) to debuff lure with stupendous success.

I'm no fan of the Kowlin and believe it shouldn't be considered a lure pet. The Eldergoth Marksman and Sharpshooter are superior in multiple ways:

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=323451

The Kowlin is a debuff pet, not a lurer. Some people with small screens, or poor visual response like it for it's flashy red swirly, but that's a personal issue.

Rare pets can have uses, they just aren't always obvious.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Quinfu does not work as grinding tank, I can tell you from first hand experience. It doesn't hit hard enough to keep aggro, even if you max bash. Golem, while having a slot attack rate, also hit far harder, resulting in far more aggro generated due to aggro skills' nature of working on a per hit basis. Golem, for it's role of grinding tank, is replaceable only by herc, nothing else.

Pounce is not the most desirable skill, almost everyone replace pounce with bash on their herc.

Kowlin is not useful. There are cheaper and more effective options for any roles that Kowlin can fill. Eldergoth sharpshooter is slower, but is ranged. This means far easier luring and almost guarantees unsummoning before the mob hits back. Pvp debuffing pet have to be airborn. Land pet can be avoided. Pve debuffing pet is unnecessary, and resummoning tank pet after unsummoning debuff pet often results in you taking hits. Kowlin does too little damage, and is too limited to land, to be an effective pvp damage dealer in anything other than a duel.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    If you're still using a golem as a tanker for endgame: you fail. The Qingfu beetle is more suitable

I thought a level 1 pet levelled up would make the supreme tamed pet, and I levelled up one of those level 1 beetles to 30.
    What I found was that it was superior to the magmite at the magmites level, but by 30 it had fallen behind the magmite in tanking.

This is explained by saying that although the beetle gets more initial advantage for being a lower level pet to begin with, the bonus per level for health and armor and damage aren't as much, so it gradually falls behind.

Some people have said to me that they have seen the stats for the lvl 1 beetle (at level 100) on some website and that they exceed the magmite, but that doesnt fit with my own observations. OK, I only got it to level 30, but the trend of it getting less per level wasn't in any doubt.

Its a moot point of course, as I think any veno that makes it to the 80's or 90's should probably have enough saved up to buy their own herc without having to use any dollars. If anyone has actually levelled a beetle up to high level and can post its stats Id be interested though (as opposed to reading it on some website).
  • MissEbil - Heavens Tear
    MissEbil - Heavens Tear Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Bloodthirsty Adalwolf -
    1. Better Mag Def than a magmite
    2. Good HP regen rate (you can actually see it move)
    3. Speedy enough to pull with
    4. Enough HP to tank with
    5. More damage than a magmite
    6. Comes with Bash and Slow
    7. Looks a damn sight better than a magmite

b:dirty Elvis
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Proud member of the VenoMafia.

b:flower Read my FanFic! b:flower
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=334222
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Bloodthirsty Adalwolf -
    1. Better Mag Def than a magmite
    2. Good HP regen rate (you can actually see it move)
    3. Speedy enough to pull with
    4. Enough HP to tank with
    5. More damage than a magmite
    6. Comes with Bash and Slow
    7. Looks a damn sight better than a magmite

b:dirty Elvis

8. Better evasion
    9. Better accuracy

I think people may have gotten the false impression that speed was all important when luring just because their Magmites couldn't handle the magic attacks.
  • Avrie - Sanctuary
    Avrie - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    1. Adalwolf
    2. Golem

HP Atk P.def M.def Acc. Dodge Atk/s m/s
    2715 2253 7050 6462 1810 1206 0.8 7.3

2934 3240 8792 5861 1354 1003 0.6 6.2

only the important stats are highlighted, but:

-mag def doesnt even matter as theres no such thing as 'pure magic' mobs except the 'trioc' variety which are A. only found west of tusk town in small amounts, B. FB39; 59
    -mages always melee if you get close.
    -magmite has more HP, so that point is null
    -wrong on the damage part, golem has more attack, by quite a bit. itd take a very, very long fight for the adalwolf to pull ahead
    -magmites come with bash too
    -accuracy and evasion on pets doesnt matter, mobs and pets rarely miss each other.

golem > adalwolf and kowlin on all its most important stats.

its cheap, and effective. stick with the golem.

also remember, if youre going to aim for your very last end all be all pet, conform and save for the yellow fatty
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    Quinfu does not work as grinding tank, I can tell you from first hand experience. It doesn't hit hard enough to keep aggro, even if you max bash.

Didn't I already point out that non DD skills also generate Aggro? It doesn't need to hit hard to help kill as fast or to keep aggro.
    Golem, while having a slot attack rate, also hit far harder, resulting in far more aggro generated due to aggro skills' nature of working on a per hit basis. Golem, for it's role of grinding tank, is replaceable only by herc, nothing else.

It is slow. It's like dragging around a pile of rocks then trying to hurl them at your enemy when tossing a couple spears would be quicker. You're continuing with the false assumption that only DPS or DD causes aggro. If that was the case, barbarians in tiger form would fail as tanks.
    Pounce is not the most desirable skill, almost everyone replace pounce with bash on their herc.

Most veno's also run around with a magmite, and sawfly despite them being poor options for extended use. Herc is built and designed with skills to tank bosses. It's inferior to other pets for general grinding. Putting bash on it makes it more of a grinding pet. Pounce is also very much used on Phoenix's in TW.
    Kowlin is not useful.

I like how you speak in absolutes of such things. Kowlin is fastest pet at laying debuffs on grinding mobs. It's also fastest in lower level FB's for rescuing tabbers. I'm not a big Kowlin fan, but it can be usefult.

There are cheaper and more effective options for any roles that Kowlin can fill. Eldergoth sharpshooter is slower, but is ranged.

Which makes it a better lurer/tanker. I don't consider a Kowlin a lurer.
    This means far easier luring and almost guarantees unsummoning before the mob hits back.

Debuff luring is even easier.
    Pvp debuffing pet have to be airborn.

Pvp is popular in SP because there's no airborn.
    Pve debuffing pet is unnecessary, and resummoning tank pet after unsummoning debuff pet often results in you taking hits.

Debuff pet is fare more effective than DPS pet at killing bosses faster in squad mode.
    Kowlin does too little damage, and is too limited to land, to be an effective pvp damage dealer in anything other than a duel.

DD on pets is over rated. They have so many other abilities to exploit.
  • Avrie - Sanctuary
    Avrie - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Didn't I already point out that non DD skills also generate Aggro? It doesn't need to hit hard to help kill as fast or to keep aggro.
    yes it does, otherwise archers and wizards wouldnt steal aggro from barbs. its a combonation of the two, and qinfus suck at it.
    It is slow. It's like dragging around a pile of rocks then trying to hurl them at your enemy when tossing a couple spears would be quicker. You're continuing with the false assumption that only DPS or DD causes aggro. If that was the case, barbarians in tiger form would fail as tanks.
    hello genius, it out damages the mobs faster, thus resulting in faster kills.
    It's inferior to other pets for general grinding. Putting bash on it makes it more of a grinding pet.
    its for holding aggro in TT doofus.
    I like how you speak in absolutes of such things. Kowlin is fastest pet at laying debuffs on grinding mobs. It's also fastest in lower level FB's for rescuing tabbers. I'm not a big Kowlin fan, but it can be usefult.
    a genie is faster and doesnt die. and a herc can punch a mob and be resummoned to catch aggro as well. who cares about debuff luring.
    Debuff pet is fare more effective than DPS pet at killing bosses faster in squad mode.
    no its not, the veno should be doing the debuffing, not a pet. sage ironwood > pierce. extreme poison, amplify damage, dimensional seal, frighten. every class can debuff better than a pet, as can the veno itself.
    DD on pets is over rated. They have so many other abilities to exploit.
    people dont rely on pets for debuffing in duels man, venos amp and purge, and debuff themselves via their own skills and genies. pets need damage, otherwise phoenix/sawfly wouldnt be so commonly used, no?

quit talking like you know venos. you obviously dont.
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    its for holding aggro in TT doofus.
    quit talking like you know venos. you obviously dont.

7. No trolling, or flaming.
    Any form of personal insult will not be tolerated. General rule of thumb: if you think that what you are about to post is insulting, don't post it.

- http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=63291
  • tweakz
    edited July 2009
    -mag def doesnt even matter as theres no such thing as 'pure magic' mobs except the 'trioc' variety which are A. only found west of tusk town in small amounts, B. FB39; 59

Most bosses are mixed magic / physical attack, and often the magic atk is higher than the physical attack.
    -mages always melee if you get close.

That doesn't mean they don't continue to use magic.
    -magmite has more HP, so that point is null

A higher hp to defense ratio isn't good for non pure mag venos since they can't fill the HP as fast.
    -accuracy and evasion on pets doesnt matter, mobs and pets rarely miss each other.

At best, this is opinion, which I'll voice my disagreement with.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    This is explained by saying that although the beetle gets more initial advantage for being a lower level pet to begin with, the bonus per level for health and armor and damage aren't as much, so it gradually falls behind.

Some people have said to me that they have seen the stats for the lvl 1 beetle (at level 100) on some website and that they exceed the magmite, but that doesnt fit with my own observations. OK, I only got it to level 30, but the trend of it getting less per level wasn't in any doubt.

Health increase per level:

Jaden Qingfu (lvl 1) : 32.5 on average (alternates between 32 and 33)

Quadrastral Beetle (lvl 2): 32.5 on average (alternates between 32 and 33)

Magmites: 32.5 on average (alternates between 32 and 33)

With respect to the health, the magmite has lower health than the beetle, but has higher P. Def, so it's a tradeoff, but because they all have the same health stat increase, the difference will remain static.

P. Def increase per level:

Jaden Qingfu (lvl 1) : 86.667 (87, 86, 87)

Quadrastral Beetle (lvl 2): 87.667 (87, 86, 87)

Magmites: 100

The magmite starts with a higher P. Def than any of the beetles, and because of the higher increase per level they will gain 12.33 more P. Def per level than the beetles thus increasing the gap each level.

M. Def increase per level:

Jaden Qingfu (lvl 1) : 73.33 (73, 74, 73)

Quadrastral Beetle (lvl 2): 80

Magmites: 66.67 (66, 67, 67)

The beetles, on the other hand have higher M. Def increases per level than the magmite, and have a higher M. Def than the magmite does at the same levels. Eventually the beetles will slowly elciplse the M. Def of the magmite by 5.33 (Qingfu) and 12.33 (Quadrastral).

By level 100 the difference will be:

Jaden Qingfu:
    HP: 52
    P. Def: -1167
    M. Def: 770

Quadrastral Beetle:
    HP: 49
    P. Def: -1176
    M. Def: 1425

Actual stats:

Jaden Qingfu:
    HP: 3311
    P. Def: 8625
    M. Def: 7298

Quadrastral Beetle:
    HP: 3308
    P. Def: 8616
    M. Def: 7953

Crystalline Magmite:
    HO: 3259
    P. Def: 9792
    M. Def: 6528
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    7. No trolling, or flaming.
    Any form of personal insult will not be tolerated. General rule of thumb: if you think that what you are about to post is insulting, don't post it.

- http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=63291

He's not flaming you, he's pointing out the obvious. If you disagree with this, I suggest you go complain to the Administrators or submit a ticket.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    edited July 2009
    Ahh thanks for the breakdown of the beetle vs magmite. I'll take it as a given that the beetle gets less damage increase than the magmite per level, even when factoring in the faster attack speed.
    He's not flaming you, he's pointing out the obvious.

I tend to agree with this. Sounds like a lot of theorizing without much practical experience.
    edited July 2009
    Ahh thanks for the breakdown of the beetle vs magmite. I'll take it as a given that the beetle gets less damage increase than the magmite per level, even when factoring in the faster attack speed.

It's basically a trade-off system. For lower P. Def, the beetles get marginally more HP and higher M. Def. For lower Attack they get higher accuracy and a faster attack. The difference in accuracy isn't exactly marginal, either, at level 100 the beetles will have, in general, 26% higher accuracy than a golem of equal level, but the raw DPS before accuracy is figured in is going to be much, much lower, so it probably works out to being close until you take into account skill attacks where the golem has an advantage due to it's high Attack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]