how do you figure out which is stronger (pet)

Options
diamonte
diamonte Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Venomancer
I was comparing a few pets that I own to see which was stronger and I'm not sure which numbers I should be looking at. There is damage, physical attack ect. What should I be looking for?
Post edited by diamonte on

Comments

• Eunuch - Dreamweaver
    Eunuch - Dreamweaver Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    diamonte wrote: »
    I was comparing a few pets that I own to see which was stronger and I'm not sure which numbers I should be looking at. There is damage, physical attack ect. What should I be looking for?

Damage = attack rating
    physical attack = dps

I think alot of ppl just look here: http://www.ecatomb.net/pwi/petstat.php
  • Peritia - Lost City
    Peritia - Lost City Posts: 397 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Damage = DPS

No.

The "Damage" stat is actually the "Accuracy" stat mislabelled. If you hover your cursor over the portrait of your pet while it is summoned, it is listed properly as Accuracy.

As for "stronger", I'm assuming you mean damage, although you can also say "strong defence".

A simplification of the matter would be to look at its Attack, attack growth, and attacks per second.

The reality is much more complex when skills are considered, particularly as slow-attacking pets typically gain more benefit from skills than more their more quick-attacking counterparts. You also need to remember to Accuracy, and also if their P/M.Def is so poor that it reduces your own DPS by requiring healing mid-fight, etc... etc...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diamonte
    edited July 2009
    Options
    [QUOTE=Peritia - You also need to remember to Accuracy, and also if their P/M.Def is so poor that it reduces your own DPS by requiring healing mid-fight, etc... etc...[/QUOTE]

That is an excellent point. I recently teamed up with a Veno around lvl 60 and she was using a scorpion (like the one you can get in the beginning.) She was saying she doesn't have a "tank" so the other veno's in the group were asked to heal this pet while it was attacking a boss. What would be the benefit of having or "strategy" in having a pet like that?

Also I didn't know you could heal other Veno's pets. I thought you could only heal your own. I learned something new that day.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    That is an excellent point. I recently teamed up with a Veno around lvl 60 and she was using a scorpion (like the one you can get in the beginning.) She was saying she doesn't have a "tank" so the other veno's in the group were asked to heal this pet while it was attacking a boss. What would be the benefit of having or "strategy" in having a pet like that?

Also I didn't know you could heal other Veno's pets. I thought you could only heal your own. I learned something new that day.

The starting level scorpion has the second highest attack in the all game, after the phoenix, that is why it is a good pet as a DD for regular grinding or when there is another tank. I would not have wasted 2 venos healing one scorpion when you could have used a better tank, and free up the second veno to DD as well (unless the boss had a ? for level), but it all comes down to personal preference.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    Temblor - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options

To put it short:
    1 If you have money and time:
    Land tank: Herc.
    Air/ground pker and air tank Nix.(as in phoenix)
    Water tank: the lvl 21 turtle around Archo.

2 If you lack the legendary pets prepare for a bigger roster:
    Land physical tank: Blue golem
    Land magic tank: lvl 30 antelopes
    Land pker: lvl 3 scorpion (first pet)
    Air pker/tank: the sawfly
    Water tank: lvl 21 turtle
    ??Water pk??: I heard lvl 35 undines (water girls south of Archo) are fast in water.(on a diff. version)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
    Girl IRL-guy cleric IG.b:cute
  • diamonte
    edited July 2009
    Options
    The starting level scorpion has the second highest attack in the all game, after the phoenix.

Does that mean it's a good idea to go back and get the scorpion and lvl it up?
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Does that mean it's a good idea to go back and get the scorpion and lvl it up?

How much Pking are you hoping to do? Keeping your scorp at your current level is good if you are gonna do PVP.

I find using my golem currently saves me time since I can heal him less and do more damage which then kills more mobs faster.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • diamonte
    edited July 2009
    Options
    How much Pking are you hoping to do? Keeping your scorp at your current level is good if you are gonna do PVP.

Not much unless I try it and enjoy it. I'm usually trying to keep myself alive whiled being pk'd. I'm trying to save up for the phoenix. Will this animal help with grinding?

Someone mentioned the Blue Golem. What is that?
  • Brael - Dreamweaver
    Brael - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,430 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Why the level 21 turtle? There's level 5 turtles by broken bridge.
  • Nehemiah - Harshlands
    Nehemiah - Harshlands Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    To put it short:
    1 If you have money and time:
    Land tank: Herc.
    Air/ground pker and air tank Nix.(as in phoenix)
    Water tank: the lvl 21 turtle around Archo.

2 If you lack the legendary pets prepare for a bigger roster:
    Land physical tank: Blue golem Crystaline Magmite
    Land magic tank: lvl 30 antelopes antelope pup
    Land pker: lvl 3 scorpion (first pet) variscore scorpian
    Air pker/tank: the sawfly petite sawfly
    Water tank: lvl 21 turtle go for level 5 abysmal turtoise
    ??Water pk??: I heard lvl 35 undines (water girls south of Archo) are fast in water.(on a diff. version)idk, i never pvped in the water O.o

to get all this you need to do the storage quests with the 30hay and 50 fruit, and get a cage from the botique.

but the basic is

normal
    -Land=Crystaline Magite
    -Air= Petite Sawfly
    -Water=Abysmal Turtoise
    -Lure= anything fast or decent ranged like Eldgergoth Marksman that can take a few hits(tweakz)

and

special
    -Land=Baby Hercules
    -Air=Baby Blazing Pheonix
    -Water= Celestial Plumpfish or ummm, Giant Sea turtoise?
    -Lure= Knowlin or however you spell it.

The most pets you could really use is
    land physical tank
    land magic tank
    land dps
    air dps
    air tank
    water tank
    lurer
    ranged tank
  • EvilDragon - Dreamweaver
    EvilDragon - Dreamweaver Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Not much unless I try it and enjoy it. I'm usually trying to keep myself alive whiled being pk'd. I'm trying to save up for the phoenix. Will this animal help with grinding?

Someone mentioned the Blue Golem. What is that?

With blue golem he probably means the Crystalline Magmite. It's the best non-legendary tank. For grinding and fighting bosses you should use the magmite. For pvp use a nix/scorpion. Expand your petbag by doing the quests. so you can have multiple pets.
    Tanker (land)
    DD (for pvp)
    Waterpet
    Airpet
    Puller (fast pet)
    Mount (if you have one)
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Why the level 21 turtle? There's level 5 turtles by broken bridge.

I think the ones by Archo but I would say those are 19 as I got one.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.