Did you pick the wrong class?

HolyInferno - Sanctuary
HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Venomancer
This is out of my own curiosity. I go through these forums pretty regularly and many topics are about venos being op venos being boring venos being **** but op, what have you.

However, the most interesting (and humorous) thing that I read about is venos refusing to play the class. I know its a personal choice and all but to me, it seems so ridiculous. The first time I saw a SS of a veno with axes and the thread attached self proclaiming about how she kicks **** because she uses axes just blew my mind. This is not about HA, I have my own opinions on that matter and there are plenty of threads out there in regards to it. This is about people saying,

"I dont like to tank with my pet, I'd rather tank by myself"

"I dont like magic so I'm going to use axes and fight in HUMAN FORM with NO SKILLS"

"I put mostly into DEX because I dont like getting hit too much and now I have to use a bow.." (yes this one is dead truth >.<)

I understand that people like this have a preference to tank or be melee. BUT my question is WHY ARE YOU A VENO? There are 2 classes out there that meet the criteria you wish to have and guess what *omg* they have skills to accomadate. Is it because you like pets? Is it because you are absolutely enamored with how the veno class looks? Please help this confused veno out with some answers

Disclaimer : this is not a flame thread, never intended it to be. I'm just really curious on why those people do what they do.

p.s i just read a thread where the OP said something about liking to tank with classes that arent meant to because its challenging...no.
b:bye you were all swell peoples
Post edited by HolyInferno - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Keenan - Dreamweaver
    Keenan - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I have a faction mate who's a HA veno, wielding axes, hehe, and when I asked her why she doesn't just play a barb, she replied that she doesn't like playing male characters. She also loves to tank, I would know, I've rezed her so many times when she decided to tank as an archer in fbs b:shocked She loves her pets and loves fox form, and figures why not combine all the aspects of the game she likes? People have different play styles, and she's more than happy with her character b:chuckle
  • Tatuaje - Lost City
    Tatuaje - Lost City Posts: 2,780 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    "Tanking with classes that are not normally used as tanking because of the challenge...."

For sure they have their own opinion and hope they have friends to support that fun idea but for damn sure that would not last long once some of their guildmate/friends died and lost 5%exp at high levels because he/she wanted to try to be different.

I am all for trying out different stuff considering I made a HA/DualSword Cleric (I called myself a Paladin when people asked what class I was) but aruond lvl35 I realized that it was getting silly and I eventually would not be useful in a group.
    tatuaje: grinding mobs and zhenning ???
    frankieraye:All right, I admit it, it's a bit retro. lol.
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    Temblor - Harshlands Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    To the OP

Many players want to make strange build and don't care about performance.

I'm a cleric but i dont like healing and buffing and i hate rezzing. But i don't want to change it. I rolled a cleric cuz i wanted a more resistent magic class.

Some roll a BM and make a tank
    Some roll a barb and wield a bow and light armor.
    Some make venos with heavy armor and axes.
    etc...

They dont care...

There's more to a class than "what it's supposed to do".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
    Girl IRL-guy cleric IG.b:cute
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Performance is actually important, and some of the weird ways we build Venos are very, very good at what they do. For instance, the HA Mag build. Equal Magic power to the LA build, yet can tank, and tank very, very well, in Fox Form, almost equal to a Barb vs a Melee Boss, I'd say. No aggro skills, but a Melee mob whacking on a Bramble Guarded Fox Veno? The Brambles deflect what the original hit would have done, before the Fox Form buff, and while, it may not be good enough to keep aggro off of Nukers, etc, a Veno/Cleric combo can pretty much duo any FB they get the urge to do. Can't tank the boss in Fox? There's a pet for that.

Now... If you're just bashing on the Melee Weapon Venos, I actually do get that. I really don't understand the point myself, to be honest. But, hey. To each their own, I suppose.
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Now... If you're just bashing on the Melee Weapon Venos, I actually do get that. I really don't understand the point myself, to be honest. But, hey. To each their own, I suppose.

First off, I am not "bashing" anyone. I was just curious behind the reasons for what they do. However, yes I am mainly referring to melee weapon venos. What you stated are different ways you can break from the "traditional" veno builds to fit your playing style seeing as venos are probably the most versatile class in the game. However, if you cant use any skills at all or are limited to going barehand or starting magic weapon, that is where my confusion lies.
    etc...

They dont care...

as for this, the first example is another instance of suiting a different role within the parameters of the classes skills. However, the other two is exactly what I'm talking about. People not caring is one thing, but my question goes out to those who are really playing as if their character is actually practical in the long haul.
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • Varaga - Dreamweaver
    Varaga - Dreamweaver Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    My personal opinion on the matter of people playing venos, but not playing them as they were intended, is that it boils down to aesthetics, perhaps? For example, if you want to be a barb, you have to be a male character, and a lot of female players may not necessarily want to have a male character. Granted, you can just play a female blademaster for a melee class if you wanted to be female and focus on physical damage. But then again, humans are boring ... no animal form, no natural flight, etc. ...

I don't have any issue with it. I think it's cool that it can be done. I've tried things like that in other games, playing a magic-using class but focusing on melee damage and whatnot, and it just outright was impossible.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    First off, I am not "bashing" anyone. I was just curious behind the reasons for what they do. However, yes I am mainly referring to melee weapon venos. What you stated are different ways you can break from the "traditional" veno builds to fit your playing style seeing as venos are probably the most versatile class in the game. However, if you cant use any skills at all or are limited to going barehand or starting magic weapon, that is where my confusion lies.

I do apologize. I chose the wrong word. And I think a lot of us are confused about those bizarre builds, such as, to add a few, Magic weapon wielding Melee Classes, Axe using Archers, Fist using Clerics, which is stretching it, as a Cleric could make that useful by self healing... So I dunno....
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i dont really get it either.. with the axes, never being able to use a skill. (besides switching to a low lvl weapon to use heal) What is the point of playing these games without using your skills?
    I have a bow veno, low lvl.. but its only there to amuse me when i'm bored. Its a joke to me, not something i even would consider lvling.

I picked light build for 2 good reason.

1. PVP - no need to explain that
    2. Flexability - being decent in both fox and caster, lets me use ALL my skills. Not that a arcane cant use fox and a heavy cant use caster, but they suffer more than LA. Arcane will have alot less def and a heavy caster will have alot less mdef. LA build reminds me of a summoner class from another game.. average on all stats because they use pets. Instead of being good at one thing and bad at the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XBloodKingx - Heavens Tear
    XBloodKingx - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    To the OP

Many players want to make strange build and don't care about performance.

I'm a cleric but i dont like healing and buffing and i hate rezzing. But i don't want to change it. I rolled a cleric cuz i wanted a more resistent magic class.

etc...

They dont care...

There's more to a class than "what it's supposed to do".

a bm is supposed to be a tank or DD depending on the situation
    a veno with HA and axes should not die if the send there pet in first
    a barb with bows and LA is funny and its called a Bowbarian
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]you have just meet death

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

credit to ForsakenX for the sig
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    as for this, the first example is another instance of suiting a different role within the parameters of the classes skills. However, the other two is exactly what I'm talking about. People not caring is one thing, but my question goes out to those who are really playing as if their character is actually practical in the long haul.

That's a different problem. If you make a BM and try to surpass a barb you failed. If you make a heavy veno and expect to kill as fast as pure and light you fail again. And so goes for the light barb and other *exotic build*. I understand if you like to experiment but if you expect to surpass the normal builds at what they do best your in for a surprize. As for performance thats relative. For some people perf. means killing fast for others resisting attacks and in TW for others to do as good as possible in pve and acumulate money and for others to be the server's clown... I say do what you want with your char but be ready to face the consequences.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    i dont really get it either.. with the axes, never being able to use a skill. (besides switching to a low lvl weapon to use heal)

But they can use four other skills...

(Edit: which should probably be curses.)
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    My personal opinion on the matter of people playing venos, but not playing them as they were intended, is that it boils down to aesthetics, perhaps?
    I suspect a lot of people doing it just want to play a cute female with animal ears and a tail.
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    "Tanking with classes that are not normally used as tanking because of the challenge...."

For sure they have their own opinion and hope they have friends to support that fun idea but for damn sure that would not last long once some of their guildmate/friends died and lost 5%exp at high levels because he/she wanted to try to be different.

I am all for trying out different stuff considering I made a HA/DualSword Cleric (I called myself a Paladin when people asked what class I was) but aruond lvl35 I realized that it was getting silly and I eventually would not be useful in a group.

lol that's cool XD I think I'll make a paladin just for kicks. And I always thought the reason people did so much with venomancers was because they have pets.
  • Nehemiah - Harshlands
    Nehemiah - Harshlands Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    It is kindof confusing though.

for the venos that want to tank, get a magmite

for venos that want to shoot from afar like an archer, whats the difference between using a bow and shooting with magic?

for venos that want to heal and rezlike a cleric, ...use your pet and heal and rez lol

for venos that want to be upclose an personal, go the HA build and fight. if you want to do something other than the send pet in and suppor with heals and attacks, then at least do it in an efficient way.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    They wanted to play female untamed char so they chose Veno same goes for a Archer using swords or a Cleics using axes.It is my guess anyway.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Zorish - Harshlands
    Zorish - Harshlands Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    That's a different problem. If you make a BM and try to surpass a barb you failed. If you make a heavy veno and expect to kill as fast as pure and light you fail again. And so goes for the light barb and other *exotic build*. I understand if you like to experiment but if you expect to surpass the normal builds at what they do best your in for a surprize. As for performance thats relative. For some people perf. means killing fast for others resisting attacks and in TW for others to do as good as possible in pve and acumulate money and for others to be the server's clown... I say do what you want with your char but be ready to face the consequences.

Just remember that HA and LA venos have the same ammount of magic, ergo @ the same damage.
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Lol, was this topic for me?b:chuckle
    This is out of my own curiosity. I go through these forums pretty regularly and many topics are about venos being op venos being boring venos being **** but op, what have you.

However, the most interesting (and humorous) thing that I read about is venos refusing to play the class. I know its a personal choice and all but to me, it seems so ridiculous. The first time I saw a SS of a veno with axes and the thread attached self proclaiming about how she kicks **** because she uses axes just blew my mind. This is not about HA, I have my own opinions on that matter and there are plenty of threads out there in regards to it. This is about people saying,

-Hmm, I don't remember saying that. Are you talking about someone else?

"I dont like to tank with my pet, I'd rather tank by myself"

"I dont like magic so I'm going to use axes and fight in HUMAN FORM with NO SKILLS"

"I put mostly into DEX because I dont like getting hit too much and now I have to use a bow.." (yes this one is dead truth >.<)

I understand that people like this have a preference to tank or be melee. BUT my question is WHY ARE YOU A VENO?

-For some veno skills and pet

There are 2 classes out there that meet the criteria you wish to have and guess what *omg* they have skills to accomadate.

-It's more of a challenge (which is fun for me) to use a none melee class and see how far you can get. Plus no other class has bramble/metabolic or a comrade fighting beside you :P

Is it because you like pets?

-I like to have a side-kick XD

Is it because you are absolutely enamored with how the veno class looks?

-Cats FTW XD

Please help this confused veno out with some answers

Disclaimer : this is not a flame thread, never intended it to be. I'm just really curious on why those people do what they do.

p.s i just read a thread where the OP said something about liking to tank with classes that arent meant to because its challenging...no.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Temblor - Harshlands
    edited July 2009
    Just remember that HA and LA venos have the same ammount of magic, ergo @ the same damage.

Corect me if i'm wrong but the necesary for LA is 2str 2dex every 2 lvls. 6 points remain, just enough for the latest weapon for your lvl. The necesary for heavy armor is 5str 1dex. 4 points remain, less points and not even enough for the latest weapon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kiss my pointy ears!
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited July 2009
    Corect me if i'm wrong but the necesary for LA is 2str 2dex every 2 lvls. 6 points remain, just enough for the latest weapon for your lvl. The necesary for heavy armor is 5str 1dex. 4 points remain, less points and not even enough for the latest weapon.

You're thinking of an Armor focused build. As far as I know, the focus is to equip the weapon at the level you can, and work your armor around it. Ergo, both would be equal in magic power.
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    But they can use four other skills...

(Edit: which should probably be curses.)

well i was thinking more in attack skills. Thats how my brain usually works.. i think in what is needed rather than what is not.
    but your right you can use non-attack skills, but those skills wont help you kill something faster. Your still just a axe swinging veno without skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    well i was thinking more in attack skills. Thats how my brain usually works.. i think in what is needed rather than what is not.
    but your right you can use non-attack skills, but those skills wont help you kill something faster. Your still just a axe swinging veno without skills.

True but spark eruption kills it very fast.

Plus there are skills to stack it with such as foxform debuffs and curses. But hitting is much faster than transforming and casting and whatnot.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Zyhara - Sanctuary
    Zyhara - Sanctuary Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    EDIT; Wow, wrong window o_O
    Can someone delete this??