Why is my Bm so weak?

Options
Dragonkin - Dreamweaver
Dragonkin - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Blademaster
I'm a level 21 BM, I only started playing this character a few weeks ago, and I'm rather disappointed with how seemingly weak he is, especially when I compare him to my Veno at the same level.

Now, don't get me wrong, the DPS close range physical damage dealer has always been my favorite class in every mmorpg I've ever played, but in pwi, my BM seems to be disproportionately weak when compared to my other characters at a similar level. I'm assuming that's not cause "Veno's pwn!!" or "Bm's are underpowered!!" or some such balderdash, but because I'm doing something wrong. Only thing is, I've read every guide I could get my hands on in the forums, and I can't find too many explanations for why I might be so weak. If you're wondering what I really mean by "weak" - I can only kill 2 or 3 mobs of my level before having to pot up almost all the way/rest. Which means that if a quest asks me to kill 30 monsters, it takes forever if I've run out of pots.

My stats:
Vit: 20
Dex: 32
Str: 62
Mag: 5

According to Lyndura's guide, I have the right amount of Str for a Axe Bm (which is what I plan on becoming) and possibly too much dex and too little vit. Only thing is, is that I already miss too often for my liking against mobs of my level and missing a skill like Draw Blood or Aeolian Blade increases kill time by 50 percent or so. Hence the large amount of Dex. Should I have followed the standard build and invested more points in vit and less in dex?

My gear is normal nooby gear for a level 20 - officer dual hammers from the level 20 chest (should I use the Call of duty quest reward weapon?) and otherwise normal gear, no legends, no shards, not +'d.

Sorry for the overly long question, but I'm wondering what you more experienced Bm's can tell me about this - do BM's get stronger later in game like archers? If so, when? Or is this the fault of my non-standard stats? Or should I invest in better gear, 2/3 starred and the like? Seems foolish too, especially since I'll have grown out of it in a few days...

Thanks Y'all!
Post edited by Dragonkin - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Guardians - Harshlands
    Guardians - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    well, i dont think BM's are weaks, all class are goods since we know how to use them, maybe venos have some advantages for now, coz of nixes, but b4 that, venos where a little weakers, and now thing are balanced, its true that we BM's need alot of time for rest when we are grinding, but in lvl 29, u will learn a skill that will allow u to heal ur self, and will help u alot.

I love rolling a BM, we can tank, we have alot of hp and i can pvp good, u just need to know how to use it well .

when i say tank, i know as good as barb, but still we are good tanker ^^

sorry my bad english b:pleased
  • Nokhin - Lost City
    Nokhin - Lost City Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    lol bm isnt weak, try wiz and see how squishy they are.
  • Dragonkin - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    lol bm isnt weak, try wiz and see how squishy they are.

I know that Bm's aren't weak. I was asking why my Bm was weak.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Did you upgrade your skills?b:scorn
    Quit.
  • Dragonkin - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Did you upgrade your skills?b:scorn

Yes, lolz, good question - but yes, I keep the skills that are supposed to be upgraded (i.e. drakes ray, aura of the golden bell, etc.) fully upgraded.
  • Taleon - Heavens Tear
    Taleon - Heavens Tear Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Will be a bit tough till 29 when you get your Diamond Sultra. After that, you will have a bit of an easier time. You enter weapon prof and get a bit of increase on your dmg there. But in all honesty, Diamond is going to change your ability to take on mobs more then anything. Till then just keep stocked up on pots and apoth.
  • Fireblood - Harshlands
    Fireblood - Harshlands Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Use life powder.
    Quit.
  • Theotus - Heavens Tear
    Theotus - Heavens Tear Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Bm's are tough to get through about lvl 30. After that. Life becomes much easier to handle. At about 40, you start to become what you should be, a damage dealing maniac. You won't cause as much damage as an archer or mage, but you won't die as often either. Haha. I would sugguest buying charms, as they will increase your leveling speed exponentially. They also become cheaper and more efficient than pots at a certain lvl. :-) just push through bro, the best of the bm is yet to come.
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    This is a common problem for Bm's Pre-level 29. And even through your 30's, you will not have the easiest time.

Diamond sutra is a must have...At least level 1, as soon as you can.

Other things that help along the way is...Life Powder, Charms, Genie skill(Tree of protection)

Just break through your 20's and life gets easier.

Good luck
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • pervs
    pervs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    BMs arent DDs you will never outdamage anything other than a barb and thats whith auto shots.
    "you want 1by1 go play tekken la"
  • Beelzebubble - Harshlands_1287410967
    edited July 2009
    Options
    pervs wrote: »
    BMs arent DDs you will never outdamage anything other than a barb and thats whith auto shots.

Umm.. yea they are especially the axe BM. He won't be able to do so much spike damage to a single target like wizzies, archers or clerics but they can gather multiple mobs and blast them all with rapid succesion of AoEs. Actually come to think the BM is the most succesful DD. He is the only one who can eficiently kill many mobs without anyone's help.

BM is not DD? The 5 AoEs work like a wizard sutra combo but for many mobs.
    Tomorrow i'll have a kick-hiney sig...b:cry
  • Waterboy - Lost City
    Waterboy - Lost City Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    dont worry get some calmity axes at lvl 70 b:sin
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    pervs wrote: »

Whats the point of doing more DD than a BM in squad? getting yourself killed?b:chuckle
  • mik87jes
    mik87jes Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    BM's are a semi-thing between DD and tank. They can do both, but not as good as the classes that specialize in it. They die faster than Barbarian, and take longer to kill things than the wizard or archer. Therefore they are excelent for solo-killing! Barbarians takes eons to kill mobs, and wizards and archers are killed easily once the enemy reaches them. (sorry for the slight exageration).

BM's have their strengths in:
    - Their ability to function as tank AND DD, as needed. Never as good as the classes specified, but often sufficient as a reserve.
    - Their good solo-abilities. They can take much punishment, and don't take too long to kill mobs.
    - Stunning! BM's ultimate abilities, compared to the other classes, are stunning. It can safe your life and that of your party members many times!
    - AoE killing - Axe has some extremely nice AoE skills later on, and they can literally solo 5-10 mobs at a time and stand alive in the end. Of course, practice is needed (It has cost me quite a few XP and angels to learn).

Regarding the weapons: I would always recommend using the trial weapon. It can be used to beyond lvl 30 for most classes.
  • __Leonidas__ - Sanctuary
    __Leonidas__ - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Umm.. yea they are especially the axe BM. He won't be able to do so much spike damage to a single target like wizzies, archers or clerics but they can gather multiple mobs and blast them all with rapid succesion of AoEs. Actually come to think the BM is the most succesful DD. He is the only one who can eficiently kill many mobs without anyone's help.

BM is not DD? The 5 AoEs work like a wizard sutra combo but for many mobs.

lol i agree Axe and POLE BMs are one of the best DDs my BM is a Bleeder DD( Polearm) with Draw blood and peircing winds :P and meteor rush XDD
    edited July 2009
    Options
    mik87jes wrote: »
    BM's are a semi-thing between DD and tank. They can do both, but not as good as the classes that specialize in it. They die faster than Barbarian, and take longer to kill things than the wizard or archer. Therefore they are excelent for solo-killing! Barbarians takes eons to kill mobs, and wizards and archers are killed easily once the enemy reaches them. (sorry for the slight exageration).

BM's have their strengths in:
    - Their ability to function as tank AND DD, as needed. Never as good as the classes specified, but often sufficient as a reserve.
    - Their good solo-abilities. They can take much punishment, and don't take too long to kill mobs.
    - Stunning! BM's ultimate abilities, compared to the other classes, are stunning. It can safe your life and that of your party members many times!
    - AoE killing - Axe has some extremely nice AoE skills later on, and they can literally solo 5-10 mobs at a time and stand alive in the end. Of course, practice is needed (It has cost me quite a few XP and angels to learn).

Regarding the weapons: I would always recommend using the trial weapon. It can be used to beyond lvl 30 for most classes.

lol ur forgetting polearm bro im sorry but a pole can keep up with the aoes a Axe/hammers can just gotta learn how to use them like for example our leap skills leap back fastrike then hit ur linear AoEs and glacial strike if u have it only diff is the stunning Poles are ment do cause SERIOUS BLEED rather then stuns and vice versa for Axe/hammers
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Farstrike*
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    dont worry get some calmity axes at lvl 70 b:sin

Yup, there's almost nothing more funny than seeing a BM steal aggro in TT/FB. lol
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • pervs
    pervs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Whats the point of doing more DD than a BM in squad? getting yourself killed?b:chuckle

While reading this i thought you were talking about a pvp squad and it didnt make sense, but then i saw your server...
    "you want 1by1 go play tekken la"
  • moonraja
    moonraja Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    always keep the Hp posion in your pocket. I am now lvl 26... and i use about 6 to 8 HP posions every time i fight with monsters.
  • Zolex - Lost City
    Zolex - Lost City Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I think your vit is a bit low...
  • Divine_Death - Dreamweaver
    Divine_Death - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,491 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    You shouldn't compare your performance to venos since they are a very independent class. I would say that BM is the second most independent class. As many have mentioned, Diamond Sutra will make your life a lot easier. I do remember having to rest a lot on my first BM on Sanctuary, but that was around 3X when we moved to fight magic mobs. I would say add more to VIT for a while. Since you won’t be PvP-ing anytime soon, more VIT is always useful for grinding.

Yes, use the weapon you get from the mobs side quest that came with Call to Duty. It's a much stronger weapon. As for it being a poleblade, it wouldn't matter until you get to lvl 29 anyways.

For your gears, don't really spend too much money on the armor you get from Tailor. You’ll outgrown them too fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Closing this for excess letter Q's" - hawk
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    HEY IM NOT SQUISHY!

Want to hear squishy.
    i two shot BMs =p

axe BMs attacks do 300 damage to me b:sweat
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Arron - Dreamweaver
    Arron - Dreamweaver Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Mizu, it was a 3 shot on me, and i use fists. someone with axes can one shot u with a drake bash! b:laugh
    edited July 2009
    Options
    HEY IM NOT SQUISHY!

Want to hear squishy.
    i two shot BMs =p

axe BMs attacks do 300 damage to me b:sweat

Two shot with charm? O.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Arron - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    most likely, im uncharmed too lol. but yea, me and Mizu argue ALL the time
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Mizu, it was a 3 shot on me, and i use fists. someone with axes can one shot u with a drake bash! b:laugh

swordman and varsity ganked me at DT
    swordman = 9x BM
    varsity= 8x BM

so how does this skill one shot me.
    most likely, im uncharmed too lol. but yea, me and Mizu argue ALL the time

pitfall does 1.2k not enough to tick a BM charm
    sandstorm does a whopping 3.6k killing the BM

arron just a fail BM. Hits me for 200 and only duels when he has full chi

kthxbai b:bye

<\3 arron
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    edited July 2009
    Options

arron just a fail BM. Hits me for 200 and only duels when he has full chi

<\3 arron

b:chuckleb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Arron - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    DUDE!!! I DONT FAIL!!!

and fist damage is weak, my fists are avg 350-450 damage in descript. u had ur phys shield on too. and ur sandstorm does <1000 damage on me.

look, i know how to use a Fist BM, someone showed me how to become good.

i might be still learning, but i do a dam good job of it
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    edited July 2009
    Options
    DUDE!!! I DONT FAIL!!!

and fist damage is weak, my fists are avg 350-450 damage in descript. u had ur phys shield on too. and ur sandstorm does <1000 damage on me.

look, i know how to use a Fist BM, someone showed me how to become good.

i might be still learning, but i do a dam good job of it

when we dueled before the servers went down i didnt had my defense shield.
    Yes you hit a wizard with no defense buff for 350-450. Is your epeen happy now?

my sandstorm hits you for 1700+ which is more than enough to 2 shot you
    sandstorm > pitfall = dead arron