What is the definition of BOSS?

Phoxey - Sanctuary
Phoxey - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
I see the term BOSS used for lots of mobs, yet when I look on the database, http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/, there are very few who are rated as BOSS.

In another section of the forum I read about someone doing a BOSS solo, (I believe it was Suzerix, Adalwolf Elder) and someone else came back and said that wasn't really a boss at all. So, just what qualifies a mob as being a BOSS?

I can tell when I look at a mob's name that it is a more powerful version, such as the Darkbreed Wolfkin, but I wouldn't consider them as bosses.

Is a BOSS always a single instance of a mob? Perhaps that is what defines a BOSS.

What are the lesser minions to the bosses called?

Does it really matter? No, of course not. However, if I'm curious about it I'm sure there are many others who are wondering also. So far my searches have turned up nothing on this subject.
Post edited by Phoxey - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Themax - Heavens Tear
    Themax - Heavens Tear Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    nvm .

There should be an option to delete your own post.
    Inactive on HT

Rerolled on HL
  • DarKye - Sanctuary
    DarKye - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I personally consider a "boss" any monster with funky framing around their name that has only one fixed spawning spot and has not duplicates/clones around the world.

Monsters such as the Darkbreed Wolfkin, of which in a completely unrelated note I find myself aggroing several generations of their family tree every single time I fall from the sky outside a fb19, those I consider "elite".

Your mileage may vary, though.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    theres elite(thorns around name) , mini boss(skull and thorns), and boss(skull and super horns) i believe
    bosses cant be stun/seal/ect, others can
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Boss;
    Any mob that simultaneously woops several pples **** bad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Xaix - Dreamweaver
    Xaix - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Boss;

^ that xD b:chuckle
  • Phoxey - Sanctuary
    Phoxey - Sanctuary Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Hey guys (and gals), thanks for all the input. These are some interesting thoughts. I think I like Deceptistar's definition the best, but it kind of begs the question.
    Boss;
    Mosz probably has the best definitions using the decoration around the name banner. DarkEye kind of put the icing on it with the no duplicate/clone thought.

I guess you could say that elites are the ones that are eliminated with the wine, minions or sub-bosses are not, and bosses are the source of much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Unfortunately the database can be a little misleading about what kind of hell your are charging into. Chintien is a level 150 BOSS with 162,256 life points while the Dismal Shade at level 45 has 168,291. Perhaps when I get to the level that I meet up with Chintien I'll see what makes him such a bad **** with so few hit points. Meanwhile I steer clear of both of them.

By the way, I also agree with Themax's comment about being able to delete your own post. I just happened to read his before he edited it and got a bit of a chuckle.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    the chientien with 162k is in TT 1-1 solo mode, a non herc veno pet can tank him
    in normal squad mode hes got 811k hp and a much higher attack
    TT bosses are lvl 150 so you dont get a horrible droprate when you are a higher lvl helping people farm mats for their gear, or trying to farm the mats for decomp yourself
  • dragonsoldier12
    dragonsoldier12 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    For me a Boss is a mob with high stats then any normal mob but also the size matters don't know if in PWI a monster is bigger then a other and the name is also diffrent then the normal mobs

i hope something cleared out..... :I :)