Is a cleric really needed in a mid/late game party?

evo49645
evo49645 Posts: 3 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Cleric
my 3 friends and I are about to start playing, and i havent really decided whether if i want to be a dedicated cleric or not.

mainly because we've played some RPGs that didnt really require having healers in the party to lvl in dungeons and what not.

can 2 tanks in a party make up for a healer throughout the game? im choosing blademaster if not cleric. our other tank is a barbarian.
Post edited by evo49645 on

Comments

• ButtHurt - Lost City
    ButtHurt - Lost City Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    b:bye everything need ep
  • Elvenhawk - Dreamweaver
    Elvenhawk - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Which RPGs have you been playing that a healing/support profession isn't needed at mid/late game? I'm curious to know.

Throughout my time playing MMORPGs, the healing/support profession has always been regarded as one of the most needed if not THE most needed. It's also interesting to note that, if played well, they also end up becoming some of the most powerful and socially influential players in the game base.

Perfect World is no exception. There are parts in this game where you need constant healing, party-wide damage reduction and the ability to purify party members. Since the Cleric is the only profession equipped for this task, they need to be brought along so as to ensure success.

As a Cleric, you're going to be needed mid/late game. You'll also be needed plenty during early game when people [a] have to fight a boss/mini-boss or have an accident and die.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Elf Priest | Dreamweaver | Faction: Mayhem
  • evo49645
    edited June 2009
    Which RPGs have you been playing that a healing/support profession isn't needed at mid/late game? I'm curious to know.

Throughout my time playing MMORPGs, the healing/support profession has always been regarded as one of the most needed if not THE most needed. It's also interesting to note that, if played well, they also end up becoming some of the most powerful and socially influential players in the game base.

Perfect World is no exception. There are parts in this game where you need constant healing, party-wide damage reduction and the ability to purify party members. Since the Cleric is the only profession equipped for this task, they need to be brought along so as to ensure success.

As a Cleric, you're going to be needed mid/late game. You'll also be needed plenty during early game when people [a] have to fight a boss/mini-boss or have an accident and die.

hmmmm i think one rpg was RYL "Risk Your Life", before they went pay 2 play. this was a long ago, i dont they even offered a healing class in that game.

a second one i would say ROSE online only because a) easy soloing areas b) constant mass of ppl doing 'left 4 dead' style beat downs on bosses. sure healers are still needed but amongst 60+ people beating down on 1 boss? you're just unlucky to get killed.

its just situations like in ROSE that are holding me back from choosing cleric right now.
  • Werebeasts - Sanctuary
    Werebeasts - Sanctuary Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    evo49645 wrote: »
    hmmmm i think one rpg was RYL "Risk Your Life", before they went pay 2 play. this was a long ago, i dont they even offered a healing class in that game.

a second one i would say ROSE online only because a) easy soloing areas b) constant mass of ppl doing 'left 4 dead' style beat downs on bosses. sure healers are still needed but amongst 60+ people beating down on 1 boss? you're just unlucky to get killed.

its just situations like in ROSE that are holding me back from choosing cleric right now.

lol dont let that game hold you back clerics are so fun you are needed 24/7 and get so much exp youll lvl fast plus the rezs :0 i love putting a smile on peeps faces with my buffs and heals altho im only lvl 20 i have a mage lvl 42 :)
  • Elvenhawk - Dreamweaver
    Elvenhawk - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    evo49645 wrote: »

A game that doesn't offer players a healing profession called 'Risk your Life'?! I'm betting some Developers got a chuckle out of that one. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Elf Priest | Dreamweaver | Faction: Mayhem
  • evo49645
    edited June 2009
    A game that doesn't offer players a healing profession called 'Risk your Life'?! I'm betting some Developers got a chuckle out of that one. b:chuckle

yeah i thought it was kinda weird in the beginning but it was actually really fun and challenging. you fight in real time, combination of left/right clicks do different moves and etc. it was pretty awsome
  • f22araptor
    f22araptor Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    cleric is very very important: heal, revive buff, my friend is a cleric and we play often toghether. and i'm much stronger with buffs than without. so yeah u need a cleric i think
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Lets just say that you cant do nothing in mid/end game without a cleric,
    We are the whores of all the dungeons.
    b:dirty
  • Huli_Man - Heavens Tear
    Huli_Man - Heavens Tear Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Lets just say that you cant do nothing in mid/end game without a cleric, We are the whores of all the dungeons.

Herc venos would beg to differ. But yeah, there are a lot of things mid-to-end game that can only be done with a cleric (or 2)
  • GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver
    GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Clerics are most important class in the game hands down.
  • Batista - Dreamweaver
    Batista - Dreamweaver Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I've yet to see a game where Cleric classes are not needed.
    Batista (85 Cleric) {Semi-Retired Character}
    Venom (55 Venomancer) {Main Character - On Vacation}
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    territorywar.info (Dreamweaver TW Maps) (Updated 08/28/2010)
    battleoftheimmortals.com (Under Major Construction)
  • Torsay - Sanctuary
    Torsay - Sanctuary Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    If you are gonna play this game solo then cleric isnt really good. If you will play with friends most of the time then cleric in the party is your best choice.
  • alucard12293
    alucard12293 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I myself am a cleric and seriously speaking if all clerics in PWI just went *POOF*
    there would be a hard time doing FBs sometimes and getting a grinding party without someone dying every 3 min. And yes its a pain sometmes to play as a cleric and it could get repetative but stick with it its fun and people will want your help. OH, and soloing isnt hard if u know what your doing with your cleric.
  • Fuyukoneko - Heavens Tear
    Fuyukoneko - Heavens Tear Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    People love us. People want us. People want to put us in their pockets and enslave us forever. b:victory

But really, I cant go anywhere without being called over to either rez, heal for boss, TT, Fb, zhen, or just grind. It makes it hard to do anything alone.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I would say clerics are needed more in this lvl then early on.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • angelh11
    angelh11 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009

OMG dude, that says that your totally a noob playing ROSE xDD, there where 3 main dungeons, the first at level 50, the second at 120 and the third at 175, was the recommended, the first one didnt really need a cleric, the second one was a must have a cleric, and the third one, you must get FULL BUFF and bless for a while outside the dungeon, then you can enter and you get your chance, belive me, rose is a game where Clerics are simply need mid/late, thou not so useful at early levels

just made a 190 knight and cant survive there :(

BTW, im starting a cleric here, hope they are useful mid/late
  • LuciAtreides - Sanctuary
    LuciAtreides - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Clerics are most important class in the game hands down.

Alongside barbs.
  • CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver
    CandyCaneNJ - Dreamweaver Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    People love us. People want us. People want to put us in their pockets and enslave us forever. b:victory

But really, I cant go anywhere without being called over to either rez, heal for boss, TT, Fb, zhen, or just grind. It makes it hard to do anything alone.

This is true, people DO love us for our revive skill. I refuse to resurrect anyone if they are not polite. People who demand revive simply won't get it. Mostly I come across people who are desperate for a revive that they are usually polite.

I exercise my right to say no at times as well if I am in the middle of an important squad quest etc
  • GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver
    GodlyHealz - Dreamweaver Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    This is true, people DO love us for our revive skill. I refuse to resurrect anyone if they are not polite. People who demand revive simply won't get it. Mostly I come across people who are desperate for a revive that they are usually polite.

I exercise my right to say no at times as well if I am in the middle of an important squad quest etc

lol i charge people who ask me. Tele costs there (considering i have to go across map) + and extra 3-5k just for reviving them and having to go out of my way. You'd be supirised how many people will actually pay b:bored
  • Hsuzumiya - Sanctuary
    Hsuzumiya - Sanctuary Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Cleric becomes a lot more needed as you level. If not in friends, need to find one outside of group for TT and RB runs. Plus makes grinding faster without worrying about hp, and can also set you Zhen sessions. (You will learn what they all are as you level and play more)

Ideal friend setup Imo is: Barb, Cleric and a DD (Damage Dealer such as Archer or Blademaster) This way you have your bases covered.
  • Kulonwe - Lost City
    Kulonwe - Lost City Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    I remember when I was running my FB 39 my party had 3 clerics, all lvl 60+. While that probably wasn't neccessary it was fun as hell...although, thinking back i think one 78 BM died halfway through the run anyway...O.O
  • Opaline - Dreamweaver
    Opaline - Dreamweaver Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Yes clerics are in very high demand to do just about everything that can't be soloed. Barbs are equally in high demand.
    Usually, you will only need one barb, but some tasks will require more than one cleric.
    However, there are usually more clerics than barbs around, so it evens out.
    These two classes are definitely the most in-demand classes at all levels.

I should warn you, however, that this popularity comes at a price.
    When you start helping people at higher levels, it costs you more than just some of your time. Many tasks will require you to use tons of pots or charms to be effective and these are expensive.
    If money is tight for you, you will find yourself turning squads down because you can't afford to go, or it won't be worth it to you.

Sometimes when people ask for help against a TT boss for mat drops, it will actually be cheaper to just give him the money to buy the mats instead of spending your time, mp charms, pots, and repair cost to kill the boss.