Looking for ideas for a "unique" class setup

Virla - Sanctuary
Virla - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Okay so it's been awhile since I last played PW and am going to play again (if it ever finishes updating), but I wanted to try something different as in use a class setup rarly (used). I first thought of a bow wielding cleric, but seeing as I don't see an attack buff nor would I be able to heal myself in combat that idea is nearly dead. Also note I don't care to be the most effective character nor the best I just want to hav fun trying something new. So any ideas and suggestings on hoe to acclomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Post edited by Virla - Sanctuary on

Comments

• RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    A wise one once said:
    try out a Heavy armour Mage that uses a bow.

On a serious note though...you can try whatever build you want. The problem is you may be gimped later on.

Each class is to play a set of specific roles. This does not mean they cannot be slightly deviated from, but you still need to stay slightly near the original intentions/purpose(s) of the classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • MyNameIsPooh - Harshlands
    MyNameIsPooh - Harshlands Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    A wise one once said:

^^ b:bye hi rose
    I R NO ALT >:O
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    ^^ b:bye hi rose

b:bye Pooh (a.k.a. Stalker Bob who wants my Ninetails b:cute)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Virla - Sanctuary
    Virla - Sanctuary Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I am curious to your ideas on how to work out the heavy bow mage to be a semi-working class.
  • MyNameIsPooh - Harshlands
    MyNameIsPooh - Harshlands Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    b:bye Pooh (a.k.a. Stalker Bob who wants my Ninetails b:cute)

Just be glad I dont buy trumpets for World Chat. There's a scary thought...b:shocked
    I R NO ALT >:O
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I am curious to your ideas on how to work out the heavy bow mage to be a semi-working class.

Just because something can be done it does not mean it should be done....
    Think Spandex......
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Just because something can be done it does not it should be done....
    Think Spandex......

Very true...

And on the Spandex b:shockedb:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Some of the experimental builds that have been worked on before:

Heavy Armor Veno actually has quite a few threads in the Venomancer subforum. Doesn't hit as hard with magic but can stand with their pet on the front lines. Or without it O.O It makes for an interesting gameplay experience with less focus on casting and more focus on rough and rowdy melee. Stats are allocated to enable equipping the previous Level of Heavy Armor with a focus on enough Magic to equip current-level's best Magic Weapon. Some go with Melee weapon but the magic weapons actually hit harder, even physically, and you can still use your spells and switch to foxform. Melee weapon keeps you in humanized form since you can't switch to foxforum bare handed right now.

Heavy Armor Mage. Haven't actually seen many people seriously talking about building one, but in theory it would be the same kind of build as Heavy Armor veno: Magic weapon of your level, + enough Strength to equip the previous level's Heavy Armor. Damage output would be the same as a Light Armor Mage, but with less elemental defense and fewer Crits. On the up side they might be nigh untouchable by melee folks with Stone Barrier on. personally the +Str commitment scares me :p I'll stick with LA.

Light Armor or Arcane Blademasters and Barbarians. More elemental defense, plus naturally high HP and Pdef. Haven't seen people talk about this seriously outside of an LA/Robe Fist path Blademaster. The problem I see with going this route with the Melee classes is a lot of extra Magic. They can't use it to attack but their MP bars might fill up faster to make up for the potential Strength gimping. Downside is that their equipment's Pdef will be kind of lame, and this takes away the main advantage of Tigerform's defense boost.

I don't know what kind of strange things people do with their Archers and Clerics, but after hearing some things in the Archer forum I think somebody should work on a Vit build for the poor dears, unless someone's done so already. I haven't read through that forum much yet since it's the only class I haven't played. But their HP bars sound woefully inadequate for PvP.

"Bowbarian" is something that people have been tossing around lately. Obviously, it's a Barbarian that uses a Bow. While lots of non-Archer players use bows for luring (oh so useful for melee classes especially), Bowbarian takes it a step further. I've been trying to come up with a viable way to make a "Bowbarian" but so far I've discovered that it's a longshot - to equip Current Level bow, you need 4 dex per level. Barbs already have lowish physical attack power and if you do only 1 strength per level that'll be miserable. And no vit means that HP bar isn't going to be where it should for a tank. And no Bow skills means the bow is only going to do standard damage, nothing comparable to a Barb's attack skills. Which can only be used with Axe-tab weapons! ;_; EVIL I TELL YOU.

So... High Dex Barb. It's something I spent the weekend working on when I realized the Bowbarian wasn't going to pan out well. I pumped a bunch of Dex in along with Strength and a little vit and have him at level 22 right now. He rarely misses. In fact, at one point the mobs were missing more often than he was! Unfortunately too much focus on Dex and Strength = him getting beat up to 50% HP by the mobs. That didn't seem right. So I started putting in some vit as well, plus more strength to keep his skills damage up. So now I don't have to worry about his HP bar, especially in Tiger form. It barely tickles now for the most part, and a Life Powder keeps it virtually still. His crits are pretty respectable, and he has a Sparrowhawk bow that lets him deal the same damage with an arrow as his Normal attack. It makes luring not just a neat trick, but a damage-dealing, MP-conserving one as well. Against ranged-attack mobs like the Quillhogs, it actually takes less time to shoot them full of holes than chase those danged runners down and smack 'em to death. While I'm still refining the stat distribution, it's looking like my goals will be enough strength for FB/Reward Hammers At Level, and Lv 20 Stash Bow (seems to be roughly the stats as FB19 bow) by level 35. That would bring Dex to 62... and I'd probably cap it there because NPC bows are just ridiculously Dex expensive. He can't equip Current Level Axe-type weapons unfortunately - he's a few strength shy of that :p But he has more than enough Strength for current-level HA, and enough Str/Dex for current-level LA armors. I just need to figure out the right blend of Str/Dex/Vit to keep him alive and a viable attack power. So well the Lack Of Missing plus Great Defense makes grinding Oh So Easy. Though before I fixed his Vit I needed some life powders >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • FedTehNoob - Lost City
    FedTehNoob - Lost City Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Think Spandex......

Amen to that! b:shockedb:spit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Please try a heavy armor cleric wielding dual hammer/axes =D
    aka CLARB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I find that incredibly long post amazing. For several reasons but number one you are actually doing what you are suggesting.

I'm also trying something new with this alt I have going. Its a cleric, my husband is building a barb doing the exact same thing. When I have more information about it I will share. For the time being tho I'll be shush about it. During the christmas event I was so frustrated by the archers shooting all the snow man(on my bm) I went and bought a lvl 1 bow and some arrows. Joined in the fun then I was on even playing ground. I think one of the most versatile weapons on this game is the claw/fist/blade options. I saw a barb the other day with fists. Now that was fun to see. Altho I don't kno much about the class yet and I am not sure what it would take to be able to use skills with such a weapon.

I wanted to make a HA cleric. But the str requisite is just too high to be effective. Anyways best way to find a unique class makeup is to make something and try it out. :) Then tell us all what u know :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_Champion - Sanctuary
    The_Champion - Sanctuary Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Think Spandex......

LOL very true

Once I tried a heavy armour cleric. It wasn't that bad actually. I would attackvfrom affar first then when it was close I do ironheart blessing equippe my hammers/axes and started attacking it. With ironheart blessing I didn't take damage so it helps with the low defense. Also the buffs helped a lot. I didn't stick to it cause i prefer barbs, but you might not. Just as an idea.b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sounds about right
    edited June 2009
    I think its sad that someone ask a genuine question and gets responses like this?
    The possibility of a cleric being able to do this successfullly is slim and none, slim has its foot on a banana peel.

Please try a heavy armor cleric wielding dual hammer/axes =D
    aka CLARB
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    i dont see how novelty equates to fun...

if you want unique, go make a petless venomancer wielding fists and heavy armor, tell us how it works.

if you really want something to enjoy, just find the class that suits you. youll find yourself frustrated if your build cant get anywhere because its too ineffective to do anything right because you shot it in the foot for novelty sake.

or make a 4 dex 1 str LA blade master who wields bows >_>
    edited June 2009
    I think its sad that someone ask a genuine question and gets responses like this?
    The possibility of a cleric being able to do this successfullly is slim and none, slim has its foot on a banana peel.
    You should pay more attention to what the poster says =P Who said anything about the setup being effective and successful? I think its even more sad some pple post while skipping lines not paying attention to the subject b:chuckle
    Also note I don't care to be the most effective character nor the best I just want to hav fun trying something new.
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009

(besides what Deceptistar said...)

We are answering the question by the OP, giving new ideas!

-and-

There are a few 5x heavy Clerics on LC, how much farther they could take it is beyond me but they have made it so far.

And FYI --> You always think that people are giving sad responses. Every thread I see you in has a negative response eventually to someone who has posted a response. This is an interesting post and we are giving the OP suggestions. Whether it will work or not who knows!! Besides even you said you and your husband are trying something new...will they be viable? who knows but at least some people are willing to try!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    a unique class, is bowbarian, and this actually works.. once your level 100 XD
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nerithos - Sanctuary
    Nerithos - Sanctuary Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    if you want unique, go make a petless venomancer wielding fists and heavy armor, tell us how it works.

******it, I was about to suggest this >.>

Maybe a robe BM who doesn't use weapons?

Or a heavy Archer who uses uh...wands.

~Zel
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited June 2009

if you really want something to enjoy, just find the class that suits you. youll find yourself frustrated if your build cant get anywhere because its too ineffective to do anything right because you shot it in the foot for novelty sake.

or make a 4 dex 1 str LA blade master who wields bows >_>

Lol that's basically my build except I use axes and my lynx, Kilkb:cute I do however use fists/claws if I don't want to wear down my axes badly in TTs and I can definitely kill mobs without pets. But with Kilk's debuff I can kill mobs faster.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
    edited June 2009
    Then you don't read much rose. I have given a lot of positive responses and some even good when I know what I'm talking about. I'll be the first to admit that isn't always the case. But all my posts are not negative.

I thought the point of this thread was for an idea that would not only be unique but successful, apparently not. If you want to try something that won't work and put your time into an endless effort, well I've got no response for that.

(besides what Deceptistar said...)

We are answering the question by the OP, giving new ideas!

-and-

There are a few 5x heavy Clerics on LC, how much farther they could take it is beyond me but they have made it so far.

And FYI --> You always think that people are giving sad responses. Every thread I see you in has a negative response eventually to someone who has posted a response. This is an interesting post and we are giving the OP suggestions. Whether it will work or not who knows!! Besides even you said you and your husband are trying something new...will they be viable? who knows but at least some people are willing to try!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xueling_ - Heavens Tear
    Xueling_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2009

Actually, that would probably work. Not the petless part, but you'd be the tank anyway on bosses.
    edited June 2009
    I thought the point of this thread was for an idea that would not only be unique but successful, apparently not. If you want to try something that won't work and put your time into an endless effort, well I've got no response for that.

Not all pple put in effort for some kind of compensation b:chuckle The concept of just pure fun will birth new ideas and creations, something you have not seemed to grasp after all these years it seems b:pleased
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Then you don't read much roseFor the record --> see post count. I have given a lot of positive responses and some even good when I know what I'm talking about. I'll be the first to admit that isn't always the case. But all my posts are not negative.

Once again you failed to read the OP's post in its entirety. And as Deceptistar already pointed out:
    Also note I don't care to be the most effective character nor the best I just want to hav fun trying something new. So any ideas and suggestings on hoe to acclomplish this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

And for the record....every thread I have see you in you have some type of, "You all need to answer the op's question better" attitude. Like none of us know what we are talking about or have an opinion. This is a forum and we can all have differing opinions on many things.

I will not argue with you on this as it will not make any difference. We can agree to disagree. The point is however, before being negative on the rest of us for what we have posted. Read the op's post in full please (see above quote from OP). b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2009
    Years? I am new to this sort of gaming. I played another much "worse" version of an MMO since last August. It had an issue which basically shut it down and I came here. This is only my second MMO game ever. I'll be the first to admit I don't kno much about them. I only know what I've seen in the two games. To be honest I used to think they was a horrible waste of time and not worth my effort. ..... Of course that was before I actually played one.

I guess if you don't want to worry about inventory, money, bank space or any other aspects that get you through the game then it would be ok to try an idea just for the heck of it. However; I can't see spending 100.00 on stones, charms, mounts and all the other fun stuff just to see if something fails or works.

Thats just the sane, thinking ahead side of me I guess. I wouldn't mind trying something new if I knew it had potential of working, but doing something knowing it will fail is not in my vocabulary.

Not all pple put in effort for some kind of compensation b:chuckle The concept of just pure fun will birth new ideas and creations, something you have not seemed to grasp after all these years it seems b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I would like to refer you to a post today where I wrote that just because people have opinions doesn't make them a cry baby, we all have them we don't all agree.

I can agree on that more than anyone. Having a different opinion is what makes the world go round :)

Apparently I did miss the part about not caring. It obviously didn't sink in. Forgive me in that aspect, I have 2 kids and sometimes I read things; but I don't READ them. None of my posts are usually meant to be snippy or mean, I apologize if they come across that way.

I'll be the first to say can't we all just get along..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    I would like to refer you to a post today where I wrote that just because people have opinions doesn't make them a cry baby, we all have them we don't all agree.

I can agree on that more than anyone. Having a different opinion is what makes the world go round :)

Apparently I did miss the part about not caring. It obviously didn't sink in. Forgive me in that aspect, I have 2 kids and sometimes I read things; but I don't READ them. None of my posts are usually meant to be snippy or mean, I apologize if they come across that way.

I'll be the first to say can't we all just get along..

No need to apologize...you were sticking up for yourself and your opinion. That is what the forums is all about. I myself "miss" thing in a post and it happens.

Differing opinions means just that. But people will pull things out if something was missed.

After all this is an exchange of ideas, opinions and most of all FUN!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited June 2009
    Years? I am new to this sort of gaming. I played another much "worse" version of an MMO since last August. It had an issue which basically shut it down and I came here. This is only my second MMO game ever. I'll be the first to admit I don't kno much about them. I only know what I've seen in the two games. To be honest I used to think they was a horrible waste of time and not worth my effort. ..... Of course that was before I actually played one.

I guess if you don't want to worry about inventory, money, bank space or any other aspects that get you through the game then it would be ok to try an idea just for the heck of it. However; I can't see spending 100.00 on stones, charms, mounts and all the other fun stuff just to see if something fails or works.

Thats just the sane, thinking ahead side of me I guess. I wouldn't mind trying something new if I knew it had potential of working, but doing something knowing it will fail is not in my vocabulary.
    I meant years as in your own birth years lol the concept of fun without compensation seems to escape you. b:bye
    But dont worry your not sane at all, we all arent. b:laugh TBH probably a bit tilting on the INsane side due to chained ideals. 100.00 on games? ppft. How much $$ do you spend on food in a year getting yourself FAT? b:chuckle Its such the norm now, its hard to realize 99% of us pay to get unhealthy. Now thats not sane.

And who the hell is gonna spend 100.00 on an idea like this? Hellloooo to limitations? Read again, its just for fun. Common sense will tell you their not gonna take it over Lv70 hell even Lv60 to pitch in ANY RL money for it, Ms sane.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    No need to apologize...you were sticking up for yourself and your opinion. That is what the forums is all about. I myself "miss" thing in a post and it happens.

Differing opinions means just that. But people will pull things out if something was missed.

After all this is an exchange of ideas, opinions and most of all FUN!!
    of course there are the people who will eat you alive if you try to disagree with them too, there are some master debators on this forum lol.
    edited June 2009
    of course there are the people who will eat you alive if you try to disagree with them too, there are some master debators on this forum lol.
    Sometimes i would like to see them in single thread going at each other, just to watch the creative words they throw. Its irritating when your on the receiving end but extremely interesting when you are a watcher. But that rarely happens, as they kind of stay in their own 'section' of the forum =/
    edited June 2009
    Meh, I dont care lol. I have 2 kids and a husband... being verbally eaten alive is nothin!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]