Pet skill roar question: why level up?

$exi - Sanctuary
$exi - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
Is the second level of this skill a smaller cool down or does it set a higher aggro for the pet?
b:tired
Post edited by $exi - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Wolfgore - Heavens Tear
    Wolfgore - Heavens Tear Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    If it works like the barb skill, Higher lvl = Stronger effect. b:avoid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • $exi - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Not that I don't trust you, but what is the proof for this?
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Roar resets aggro to a hidden number. The higher Roar is the higher that number is. There is no proof written out anywhere. You'd have to test it out yourself or take my word for it. Easiest way to test it out is to tell your pet to use roar on a mob, set the pet to "Stand", and smack the mob and see how much damage it takes to steal aggro. Compare a level 1 Roar with a level 2.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I think she really should level up the skill to 5 to compare it.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Levelling the skill to 5 would defeat the purpose of testing it in the first place.
  • $exi - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    I have a treefrog so It's a very small pet, and over time, I have become very efficient at cycling through up to 7 or 8 mobs at the same time to keep aggro while the entire mob suffers wood DOT. I've kept roar at level one, which means that I can only add one mob to the cluster every 15 seconds without endangering myself.

Knowing that this is the way I use roar, would you still recommend that I level up roar, regardless that 15 seconds will not change? Keep in mind as well that if my pet has lvl 5 roar, I will only have to cycle through each mob once instead of 2 or 3 times?
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Levelling the skill to 5 would defeat the purpose of testing it in the first place.

Not for us. She can see how it works at 1 like she has, than she can level to 5 and tells us how that works. It would possibly save us one mil is we did not have to upgrade our own Roar.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Already did it from roar 1 to 4. It works like you've guessed. Each increased level increases the aggro the pet gets from Roar. e.g. With Roar 1, you could take back aggro with about 3000 damage. With Roar 4, you could take it back with about 5000 damage. (This may vary depending on pet level - I wasn't able to test for that.)

In the skill aggro post I did, the amount of aggro the pet gets from Roar corresponds to the aggro of the other skills of the same level. Some other informal testing supports the theory that it doesn't matter how much aggro anyone had prior to the Roar. It's all wiped clean and the pet is put on top with the amount of aggro the Roar generates.
  • $exi - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Already did it from roar 1 to 4. It works like you've guessed. Each increased level increases the aggro the pet gets from Roar. e.g. With Roar 1, you could take back aggro with about 3000 damage. With Roar 4, you could take it back with about 5000 damage. (This may vary depending on pet level - I wasn't able to test for that.)

In the skill aggro post I did, the amount of aggro the pet gets from Roar corresponds to the aggro of the other skills of the same level. Some other informal testing supports the theory that it doesn't matter how much aggro anyone had prior to the Roar. It's all wiped clean and the pet is put on top with the amount of aggro the Roar generates.

I must say that the informal testing you brought up reminded me of something interesting I saw. During my fb 51, I helped the high levels that were helping me by throwing my pet into battle. One time, however, I accidentally left autocast on roar instead of shriek and it stole the boss's aggro for one hit before the boss went back to the barb. At the time this occurred, the boss was down half of its hp and I'm pretty sure I did about a tenth of that damage, if not less.