faction vs no faction

Anaouijia - Sanctuary
Anaouijia - Sanctuary Posts: 125 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
im asking a question here. I didnt wanna put this in Guild Chatter because its a question and im not looking for a guild..
Anyway. do you prefer playing in a faction or do u like being faction less? I am debating wether or not to go solo.. for a while.
its fun when you know people in the faction and people are helpful but i find myself doing a lot of things alone except for TT runs and Fb bosses.. the faction i had been in sorta disbanned so most of the original people went...

but if i went solo. is it easy to find help?
i could probably get just as much help using WC dont you think?
anyway. i would like to hear others opinions on this.. its gonna be my decision obviously but i think im weighing in on whether i will be able to find help or not.. Im still playing but im slowing down too so i dont wanna have to feel that i have to "keep up" with the level requirements in certain factions.. that in itself might be a good enough reason to go solo too..

anyway.. yr thoughts.. thanks..b:pleased
Post edited by Anaouijia - Sanctuary on

Comments

• BratFury - Heavens Tear
    BratFury - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,293 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I don't like factions so much. Been in 3 so far and they all have their problems. The one I'm in now is very small. A good hand of about 8-10 of us in there and we all have all our alts in there. Its level 1. We all have alts high enough to help. Its no big deal. Plus along the way I've found very nice friendly people who have been kind enough to help me. I've added them to my friends list and can call on them anytime. Very few of those group of ppl are in my faction.

That being said, feel free to go solo. But I would not solicit world chat for help. Unless you are really desperate, life is like a box of chocolates....

Hope this helped!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aesprika - Sanctuary
    Aesprika - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I play pretty much factionless but i made my own faction to stop the invite spam. Its fine and all but its hard finding people to help/trust with FB/TT/Rebirth/Bosses sometimes.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It depends on the faction.
    Unfortunately its pretty hard getting your quests done if you're factionless.
    (Though PW is a lot more solo friendly than most other MMO's)
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I couldn't even imagine playing without my faction to be honest, they're an amazing group. ^_^

The nice things about having a faction (provided you find a decent one) is that there's frequently a chat going on in faction chat, so you can talk if you get bored, or just listen in for entertainment if you're busy grinding/don't feel like talking. Then there's the fact you can always get help with anything whatsoever, advice/bosses/fb's/finding things/whatever you need. Also, you get to help other people with things too, which can be really satisfying and can also relieve the boredom of monotonous grinding. Since you're working together with a large group of players, it's one of the best ways to make good friends and meet new people. Working on a goal together, for example if you were in a faction planning to TW someday, gives you a good deal of motivation in leveling and a goal to work towards.

I really wouldn't advise going solo, mmo's are meant to be social. Find a decent, active, friendly faction and it can make the whole gaming experience a lot more fun. Just my opinion anyway. I went completely solo on a different mmo and it soon became an extremely dull experience.
  • HeidiYounger - Sanctuary
    HeidiYounger - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    i couldnt imagine playing without my faction they are so helpful. i played solo for almost 20 lvls and it was harder before i joined my current faction. i had a hard time finding people to help with my fb19 and minibosses. the reason i joined my faction is because they are the ones who helped with my fb. well once again i couldnt stand to play without a faction
  • Hoar - Sanctuary
    Hoar - Sanctuary Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Hi ana <3
    Actually atm I would like to be factionless.
    All my friends are here though, debating on what I should do.
    So go where you feel is more comfy <3.
    b:chuckle
  • Amsel - Sanctuary
    Amsel - Sanctuary Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    it can be hard to find help for those bosses that ppl dont get exp for always has been, next is finding trusting ppl to do fbs, tts, and then comes the lonely faction, i tend not to play alts because i get bored and have no one to talk to. try a small faction u may quest alone or sometimes share all your quests depending on lvl. i was a leader of a larger faction and just too much drama i left my friends followed now we have a small faction but its great, we help out, we are good friends and most important to me no drama.

oddly enough i nvr thought i would do this here >.> but if u wanna try out a smaller one your welcome to test the waters in mine no hard feelings if u leave right away XD
  • Mischievous - Sanctuary
    Mischievous - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Mostly I agree with DarkSeph, but ultimately I think it comes down to how social you are in games. If you are a loner, then perhaps solo would be better for you but if you enjoy game friendship's and group adventures, perhaps solo isn't the best thing. Either way, good luck with your decision b:victory
  • Saraiyu - Heavens Tear
    Saraiyu - Heavens Tear Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I had been in a faction ever since lvl 28 and was the third ever member in it, and it was an amazing time, met some wonderful people, but eventually that all broke up, and I found myself alone. I found myself levelling without people to talk to, but it was lonely, and when i did need help, I usually was able to ask my old faction members, they'd usually help. But I prefer being in a faction, even though i level slower, I just love being able to talk to people and feel part of a family :)
  • Stickygreen - Heavens Tear
    Stickygreen - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,158 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    id have perma quit a long time ago if it wasnt for my friends and my faction, and PW's community, only reason i really level anymore is because if i dont, hari, chansore, and fliick harrass me and make me cry q.q
    Less QQ more Pew Pewb:thanks

"Don't argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I started a faction of my own, merged into a friend's faction, and haven't regretted a single moment of it. These people are my friends and family. I've met a lot of good people through these guys, and enjoy playing and talking to them. I'd probably have quit this game long ago if it wasn't for them, and I'm glad I didn't, because I've met someone who really made a difference in my life through this. But, it's really your choice how to play. I found it a huge irony when I picked the solo class to be alone, and ended up having a ton of people around me at all times.
  • Roto - Heavens Tear
    Roto - Heavens Tear Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I've been lucky so far when it comes to factions...I found a faction that has some very fun ppl :) And in my oppinion the only use a faction really has is to help provide conversation and company that makes playing the game much more enjoyable :)
    "Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)
  • VenLooki - Heavens Tear
    VenLooki - Heavens Tear Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I never wanna be factionless...

There are many factions with drama's.. Thats always... But it also depends on what faction you choose..

My faction is a fun faction.. We care about friendship and make pwi fun and joyfull... No TW, only friendship and help(for what-so-ever). We help each other out when neccesary, but we can grind alone to if you dont wanna have people around you.. You can talk in factionchat when youre in the mood, and when you arent you just don't talk.. Fine with me 2..

But for those moments you feel really bored and alone, the faction can be a very good place to hang out:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Marshal of Loyalty faction in Heavens Tear!!
    A fun, loyal and most of all helpfull faction!!!
    My Hercules, VenLooki's Secret, has been born!
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    i dont like factions, people always manage to get pissed off at one thing or another. whether theyre overly prudish and dislike toilet humor, or intolerant of others opinions, masses of people in the same place often end up in drama
  • Eriestrength - Sanctuary
    Eriestrength - Sanctuary Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    going solo is ok, but keeping up with all the pms of friends can be really hectic.

i think being in a good friendly faction with the right people is the way to go (just my opinion tho)

in the end its all what you want join 1 or not doesnt matter long as ur havin fun right?
  • Fyrah - Sanctuary
    Fyrah - Sanctuary Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    The random invites and whispers going. "Oh, so I've seen you're factionless.." Or, "You should really join -insertfactionnamehere-, we really need you!"
    You've got to take the good with the bad, smile with the sad, love what you've got, and remember what you had. Always forgive, but never forget. Learn from mistakes, but never regret.
  • drakesteel
    drakesteel Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    i like the faction im in the top 5 of us r friend and we help everyone ewe can no matter if they r in a faction or not so i think u should do what u like if ppl r no **** they will help u no matter if u r in a faction or not
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    factionless unless you want to TW.
    If you lag too much in TW.. stay factionless.

I have a friend who thinks its great and better to be in a faction.. but hes the highest lvl, leader and hes a cleric. So he already is in high demand from all the noobs in the faction. I keep trying to tell him that there is a differnce between being a cleric or barb in a faction than being like a wiz or veno.
    I joined his faction for awhile.. i was not in high demand unless someone wanted some cult boss done with my herc and thats only if a barb or cleric wasnt around. People only wanted me in fb's if there was no barb lol like some people have no clue. Not to mention while i'm out farming i have to read in guild chat.. venos sucks, venos easy why even play, veno diss after veno diss.. like shut the hell up you tards. Can i not enjoy being a veno with you tards around?
    nyways all i'm saying is people have different views because they might not be able to see if from everyones perspective.

Now the drama lol There is one thing that bothers me more than anything... having to be nice to someone i dont want to be nice to. Being put into a big faction with many different people will result in something bad. I cant act like i'm okay with everything and everyone. There are definitly some personality thats tick me off from time to time.
    I used to be in a great faction, before all my friends decided to merge with some dieing faction. It was a small group of people that really got along and liked to help each other alot. Once we merged all that changed and it really made me sad. I never liked the faction and the people in it that we merged with. Some prsonalitys dont sit well with me and sometimes i wanna tell them to **** off.
    It still looks like a dieing faction to me, and i'm just waiting for its demise to get my friends back... maybe. Till then.. my main stays factionless or untill someone i can get along with shows up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sassiangel
    sassiangel Posts: 0
    edited June 2009
    Well i have found that were it not for my faction I would not be where i am today :) Altho finding the perfect fit in a faction can prove to be tiresome. Luckily i hit it right the first time. When on Fbs they prove very helpful and on particularly hard mobs as well. However, there have been times when no one in the faction could help or were not on and i have found help to be quite abundant specially for the female chars..seems guys love saving the damsel in distress. Basically, if someone sees me struggling i have never not received help. As long as your trying and they can see your trying many ppl out there tend to be very helpful. Those are the ones you want in your friends list of your not in a faction or even if u are in a faction. Good luck with your decision.
  • Crazydan - Heavens Tear
    Crazydan - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,178 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    TW FTW so factions
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amsel - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    I have a friend who thinks its great and better to be in a faction.. but hes the highest lvl, leader and hes a cleric.

:O i think u mean sky >.> my fault
    TW FTW so factions

=/ on our server only 2 factions hold the map, and it seems no one can push their way in. ive given up on tw
    edited June 2009
    :O i think u mean sky >.> my fault

=/ on our server only 2 factions hold the map, and it seems no one can push their way in. ive given up on tw

HT tw ftw lol and thats gotta suck. ok here is what u do u go into the faction offer everyone cookies who leave with u and ta da u r sad b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amsel - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    HT tw ftw lol and thats gotta suck. ok here is what u do u go into the faction offer everyone cookies who leave with u and ta da u r sad b:cry

XD i wish it was that easy but i dont want this to turn into another leg/nef fight >.> so lets pretend i didnt mention it
  • Elricaen - Sanctuary
    Elricaen - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Personally I think being in a faction makes the game worthwhile. 99 times out of 100, in any MMORPG being in a good guild/faction dramatically improves how fun the game can be. Granted I tend to be a more social person in chat, but I've noticed that games where I do not play in a guild/faction I have much less interest in the game. The pool of people available to help at any time is great, and as you build relationships with the people in your faction you then know who can and cannot be depended on if you need help from them.

Even if you choose to play a majority of the game solo, as many people do, having the faction to back you up is nice to have. For example, as a lower level player you could be PK'd (on PvP servers) by someone you could never hope to take on, but you could call in your higher level faction members to help get some revenge on the person who PK'd you.

You could also have the benefit of a faction if you wanted to do some dungeoun or quest that requires several people, and you have ready people who are willing to help you (sometimes in return for nothing at all). Without a faction, you end up with a PUG (pick-up group, random people) that either has people that don't work well together, lack the experience you need, or simply decide to leave in the middle of your run.

All in all, I say try and find a faction of like-minded people that you get along with. Overall it will usually benefit you either right away or "in the long run".
    - Elric {RIVAL}

Elricaen (Venomancer)
    Elricaeus (Cleric)
    Elricage (Archer)
    edited June 2009
    XD i wish it was that easy but i dont want this to turn into another leg/nef fight >.> so lets pretend i didnt mention it

Mention what?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I have been both for quite a while and found that there are almost always people doing the same quests or willing to help. The only problems that ive run into are having to wait a little while for the help or boredom from griding without entertainment (chat). It mostly comes down to if you have TW aspirations and how social you are.

I have alts in 2 factions now and love them both.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • Madijon - Lost City
    Madijon - Lost City Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Id just make sure you have friends in high places. I help my guildess with fbs and bosses on a daily basis, but I will not go out of my way for a boss a non member needs unless i do as well.
  • Feito - Dreamweaver
    Feito - Dreamweaver Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Personally, I enjoy being factionless because I don't like being told what to do and I don't want to feel obligated to stop what I'm doing to help other people out. (then wtf why am i cleric? lol) Then again, I'm a loner and I haven't met any decent people who'd I'd be willing to go out of my way for. I'm perfectly fine asking strangers to help me out with whatever quest I can't tackle or not even doing them at all.

Like some have said before, it depends on the type of player you are. I just wanted to be a bit of a Devil's Advocate here since there are so many pro-faction people. >_>
    InStyle is the greatest faction on Dreamweaver! b:victory
    Feito is...
    [x] Still a LA Cleric
    [x] in possession of a BURNING TIGER SPIRIT b:angry
    [x] Sipping some F--KING tea
    [ ] Totally KICKASS
    [ ] Extremely wealthy
    I've got some ways to go!
  • Trelwyn - Sanctuary
    Trelwyn - Sanctuary Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Id just make sure you have friends in high places. I help my guildess with fbs and bosses on a daily basis, but I will not go out of my way for a boss a non member needs unless i do as well.
    I have no prob helping others out when I'm on my alt (a 47 veno). As a veno I've never had trouble getting help either.

It's the more... fiddly classes... that have trouble. I never could find someone to help my wizzie character do anything, until I talked my husband into making a character.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Intelligence is knowing how to cast a Fireball... Wisdom is knowing not to drop it on yourself."
  • Gasoline - Lost City
    Gasoline - Lost City Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    im asking a question here. I didnt wanna put this in Guild Chatter because its a question and im not looking for a guild..
    Anyway. do you prefer playing in a faction or do u like being faction less? I am debating wether or not to go solo.. for a while.
    its fun when you know people in the faction and people are helpful but i find myself doing a lot of things alone except for TT runs and Fb bosses.. the faction i had been in sorta disbanned so most of the original people went...

but if i went solo. is it easy to find help?
    i could probably get just as much help using WC dont you think?
    anyway. i would like to hear others opinions on this.. its gonna be my decision obviously but i think im weighing in on whether i will be able to find help or not.. Im still playing but im slowing down too so i dont wanna have to feel that i have to "keep up" with the level requirements in certain factions.. that in itself might be a good enough reason to go solo too..

anyway.. yr thoughts.. thanks..b:pleased

It depends on your class kinda. If you play a wiz, BM or archer you really need a faction to complete a lot of stuff and get into parties. So many quests and instances you cant do solo, and its hard find random people since your class aint that important and easy to replace. But if you're playing a veno and have a herc or play a barb, you don't really need a faction at all. Barbs get spammed 24/7 with people want them to tank stuff and go instances, same for clerics. And venos with hercs can solo pretty much anything. I would say in general a decent friend list is more important than a guild.

What most people forget is, you don't just join a guild and demand to get your bosses done. Than you will be very ignored. Everyone joins guild and say they "need help" but they forget they also have to give help being in a guild which is very time consuming. You have to earn some trust first and help before you starts spamming for help with TT weapons. Why i choose to be guildless at certain times was mainly b/c i got tired of ppl in guild pming for help, farm them gear, tank bosses etc. I never had any problems finding party for anything being guild less, even tho i kinda didn't need it since i could solo pretty much everything. But not having a guild chatt/vent is kinda boring tho.