Need advices : axes BM tanking

Drakaniel - Heavens Tear
Drakaniel - Heavens Tear Posts: 264 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Blademaster
Hello all b:victory

I'd like to know if anyone could give me advices on how to tank as an axe BM... What skills i should use, how to build my threat level, etc...
I went on one of the basic builds of the forum and i noticed i wasn't able to tank properly : archers my level stole the aggro from me b:angry So i went on my own build, putting lots on Str and boosting my Dex a bit. It works a little bit better, but i still happen to lose aggro... What can i do about it ?

As i like to tank, i'd also like to know if there is a tank build for BM or if at least you could give me some pieces of info concerning the build i should adopt if i want to be a tank as good as a barb (almost b:chuckle ) And no, i won't give up my BM to create a barb !!!! lol

Thanks a lot for your answers !
[SIGPIC]"http://pwinsider.wordpress.com"[/SIGPIC]

Registered on 2008-11-30 10:07:44
Post edited by Drakaniel - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    The higher dex is giving you a higher hit% which means fewer misses which means generating more threat which is why archers were pulling aggro off of you less than before, but because BMs don't have skills that generate extra threat (according to ecatomb) DDs are going to have to slow down on the DD to allow you to gain and hold aggro better.

To tank you'll need enough HP to soak hits, dex to ensure you hit the mobs to generate the threat, and str to use the latest weapon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Filet - Heavens Tear
    Filet - Heavens Tear Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    well no matter what we'll never be as good as barbs at tanking, but if you are in a situation where you need to tank just use your most damaging skills. What helps a bit is if you tell the DD to not attack for a bit and let you damage the boss, generating threat for a good 30 seconds before they start attacking, and even then they can't go all out.
  • KhaosShadow - Sanctuary
    KhaosShadow - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    High spike dmg can help you take aggro away from archers while having fast dmg can help you hold it longer. I find with axes starting out with stream strike and using fast skills allow me to hold aggro better. Also use advance spark over heavens flame. It might make the boss take a little longer, but sence you're the only one benefiting from the dmg increase then it'll allow you to hold aggro better.

Tbh I think axes don't hold aggro well and still allow the party to do decent dmg, unless you're aoeing a group of mobs. I've had the best luck holding aggro with fists on single targets. As long as I get a few seconds to spark then attack everyone else can go all out in the party and not steal aggro.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    archers and wizards will most likely steal agro in most cases. Its part of their curse.

"they have power that they cannot use"
  • Grenadier_LT - Harshlands
    Grenadier_LT - Harshlands Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    but because BMs don't have skills that generate extra threat (according to ecatomb)
    Stream Strike not working on this? should give abit more threat
  • Decus - Heavens Tear
    Decus - Heavens Tear Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    well no matter what we'll never be as good as barbs at tanking, but if you are in a situation where you need to tank just use your most damaging skills. What helps a bit is if you tell the DD to not attack for a bit and let you damage the boss, generating threat for a good 30 seconds before they start attacking, and even then they can't go all out.

Correct you will never tank as good as a barb period. There are 2 ways to tank: one is through use of aggro skills and second is through doing the most dmg. You will of course be going with the second choice because stream strike is useless for keeping aggro. Personally I find not using skills and attacking regularly helps to do more dmg and therefore hold aggro better.
  • Axemanek - Heavens Tear
    Axemanek - Heavens Tear Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    stream strike sucks!
    I Want To Eat Estasi & Send Her Into Extasy!! b:victory

May The Force Not Be With You!
  • eleasar
    eleasar Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    did not test much but i also think stream strike does not work.

third possibility is to use a weapon with the provoke stat - e.g. TT 90 sword

I found one in AH and i am able to steal aggro from tanker after some while with it but he gains it back fast. I really have to test it when i start at a boss and hit boss for like half a minute and only by then other DDs join in if i am able to hold aggro till the end. Did test in godless valley too but there i was not able to get a boss out when he reached the zhen area with the use of the sword - or i got him only for a short while and not long enough to pull him out...

Does anyone have tested this stat more thoroughly?
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Stream strike does work. Not great, and it doesnt stack aggro. If someone steals aggro you can try it and sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not.

Even though it is not in the descriptors, usually canceling a mobs cast and stunning also creates aggro. Don't think you cannot use those skills because they are not causing damage.

Also, bleeds are useful, not because they create aggro, but because the DOT helps hold aggro.

If you can get a Veno to buff you with Bramble, that will help.

The best possible solution is the genie skill "alpha male" I have not been able to try this yet, but it is supposed to be a radial aggro.

The best build you could do is only enough STR to carry axes and a balance of DEX and VIT.

If you have high Dex, and can carry a uber set of fists, there is a good chance you would have a higher DPS, This technique is best implemented on bosses, but may also help you hold aggro.

If you can find gear with VIT bonuses or Dex bonuses, and crit bonuses, that would be another way to help your situation.

Hope this helps
    Good luck
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • KhaosShadow - Sanctuary
    KhaosShadow - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    As far as I've been able to tell Stream Strike does work, but in a different manner then barb aggro skills. (Idk if this is true so don't quote me =P ) Stream Strike spikes aggro from 0. So as a starting move it is useful, but after you have established aggro, it'll actually reset it(then spike it from 0). I read that it worked like that on some other forum and tested it out myself. I was 8X and I just spammed stream strike everytime the cd hit. At first nothing weird happened but then the 4X BM in the group got aggro from me. (it was in an fb) And I never got it back just using stream strike. I've also stolen aggro from the barb in the party and started spamming stream strike to get rid of aggro sence I wasn't getting heals, and it worked.

But I do know it created additional aggro because when I use to grind on quest mobs with my cleric friend he'd always steal aggro from me cause his attacks did more starting out. I started using stream strike to open and he never got aggro again.
  • Drakaniel - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for your answers everyone !!!! b:thanks
    I've heard the Roar of the Pride could help holding aggro, is that true or is it a myth ? I personally tested it and it works fine on a group of mobs ; i still haven't tried it on a boss tho...

• Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It does help hold aggro, but if you have an archer or Mage Dropping bombs, its not gonna do the trick. Sometimes, the best thing is to run in and get the bosses, or mobs like down about 25% before your other squad-mates even start. This will also help.
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • Xelea - Heavens Tear
    Xelea - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Wanna tank? Roll a barb...
  • Drakaniel - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Wanna tank? Roll a barb...
    I would if they didn't all look the same... And just so you know, that answer doesnt help...
    I've seen a fist BM tanking, and stealing aggro from a Herc pet, so BMs CAN tank pretty well.