Desperate archer needs help

Options
animas77
animas77 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Archer
Well, I am new to this game, which gives enough room to make significant errors: the biggest apparently was to make an archer as class.

Now, I am at level 36 and can't believe that the game design is that wrong, but more likely I'm doing completely wrong in skilling and others.

At my level (monsters my level) I'm getting soooo much damage on my (precious) body and have to use skills with incredible amounts of Chi and Mana, that I am usually half down to HP, MP and almost out of Chi. Should it be real, that I have to use a HP and a MP potion always after killing 1 mob?
Useless to to tell if 2 of them come on me.

There must be something I completely do not understand. I would like to show my stats, skills, etc. here and hope that a kind soul tell me what is wrong.

charb.jpg

skillsa.jpg

armor.jpg

Thanks a lot in advance...
Post edited by animas77 on

Comments

• DarKye - Sanctuary
    DarKye - Sanctuary Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I can't really make out the details from those images - There's too little detail about the levels of the skills and the stats of the equipment.

However, I can tell you that late 30s ~ early 40s were horrible for me. They forced me to change the way I played my archer because I found myself with the same problem you have.
    If you haven't yet, try to buy any +Dex pieces of equipment you can from the Auction House for cheap. (Don't bother with the expensive ones, just check every now and then and you'll be bound to find some nice cheap ones)

Alternatively, can you tell us what macros/combos you're using? I wasted a lot of money in potions until I found the sweet combination of: Winged Shell -> Normal -> Normal -> Knockback -> Normal until monster death.
  • Masodaf - Sanctuary
    Masodaf - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Same as above really, I would love to know what macros you have set.

And yeah, 30-40+ is not too nice a level range xD
  • Randoms - Dreamweaver
    Randoms - Dreamweaver Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Actually 28 - 32 is hard, at lvl 28 or so your trial weapons damage aint enough anymore and you get next weapon worth to get at lvl32, I went trough lvl32 till lvl42 easily actually with 2* bow and bow.
    I kill things b:victory
  • XxHKSSxx - Heavens Tear
    XxHKSSxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    yeah 28-40 is tough leveling, low damage, little skills, low crit rate..so u cant kill mobs fast enough. wait till ur 60+ then u will start killing with just a frost arrow as a opening.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    OK, here the skills and combos:

Take Aim lvl 5
    Quickshot lvl 8
    Knockback lvl 3
    Aim Low lvl 1 (seldom used because of spark needed)
    Lightning Strike lvl 5
    Thunder Shock lvl 1
    Blazing Arrow lvl 5
    Frost Arrow lvl 5
    Vicious Arrow lvl 3
    Winged Shell lvl 3

I'm using/trying combos:

Winged shell - take aim - quick shot - knockback - lightning - quickshot - normal quickshot - normal

or

winged shell - take aim - thunder shock - knockback - lighning - quickshot - normal

or

take aim - knockback - vicious - quickshot - frost - normal - quickshot - normal

Needless to say that I'm not happy with them...

I got Armor of the Hunter, socketed with earth and fire resisantance +24
    Shinguards of the hunter socketed with Max Mana (24) and Phys. Def. (15)
    Boots of Dawn socketed wit 2 x HP + 20

The crossbow (trial lvl 4) socketed with accuracy + 30 and Mag. Att. + 6,
    I am using only Iron bolts.

I have HP 1258, MP 1154, Vit 6, Str 33, Mag 15, Dex 153

well... ?

Thanks for your help...
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I wasted a lot of money in potions until I found the sweet combination of: Winged Shell -> Normal -> Normal -> Knockback -> Normal until monster death.

OK, I tried it and it looks better than my combos I used...
    still having the problem, that I get to much damage on me though.

thx
  • Wizzeled - Sanctuary
    Wizzeled - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    animas77 wrote: »
    OK, I tried it and it looks better than my combos I used...
    still having the problem, that I get to much damage on me though.

thx

Archers take damage its what happens. We're meant to kill them before they can get to you.
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Archers take damage its what happens. We're meant to kill them before they can get to you.

I can add that your combo indeed works nicely - I made a variation where I put in Quickshot at position 5 and 7, which is also pretty good (for some mobs and if solo).

Yeah, I know about that everything in archery is about distance ... so we need the potions.
    Anyway, your recommendation helped a lot... thanks again.

Ooooops, it was your friend Darkye... sorry
  • Wizzeled - Sanctuary
    Wizzeled - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    animas77 wrote: »
    I can add that your combo indeed works nicely - I made a variation where I put in Quickshot at position 5 and 7, which is also pretty good (for some mobs and if solo).

Yeah, I know about that everything in archery is about distance ... so we need the potions.
    Anyway, your recommendation helped a lot... thanks again.

Ooooops, it was your friend Darkye... sorry

I have combos just dont use em im at the level where I can just about kill mobs without having to use skills. Just normal shot em to death :D
  • Aleksandria - Dreamweaver
    Aleksandria - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I recently hit 40 and haven't started having any of these problems that people talk about in this level range, so I'm not sure what's up really. In fact, I'm finding these levels easier than the late 20s. I'm using a two-star level 32 bow with a damage shard.

I use this combo against ranged enemies:

Take Aim - Normal - Knockback - Normal - Winged Shell - Normal until dead

I use this combo against strong melee enemies:

Take Aim - Frost Arrow - Knockback - Normal until near - Winged Shell (time before the first hit!) - melee wing skill / normal until dead

With maxed-level Winged Shell active, you won't take much damage from typical monsters. Watch out for the DoTs, though -- those are your toughest challenge. Use a higher-powered version of the top combo for those enemies, killing them faster with more skills like Frost Arrow and Lightning Shot.

I have gone through about 1/2 the HP supply stash potions so far. I have as many MP potions as I started with.

In case it helps any other readers, at lower levels you can swap to a melee weapon when the enemy closes. This stops being effective around levels 30-35 where your Str just lags too far behind to qualify for a worthwhile weapon (your 1/2 bow damage will be superior, even at the slower attack speeds).

If your Winged Shell isn't maxed yet, MAX IT. It's absolutely the most important skill for PvE. It will save you a fortune in potions.
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the comprehensive recommendations.
    I use this combo against ranged enemies:

Take Aim - Normal - Knockback - Normal - Winged Shell - Normal until dead
    Well, I had to change that Winged Shell is cast right after the Knockback, otherwise I had already damage on me while casting WS.
    Neverthless it remains to be a problem of generating enough Chi out of that sequence - don't know how to solve that (will try with a Quickshot right after WS).
    I use this combo against strong melee enemies:

Take Aim - Frost Arrow - Knockback - Normal until near - Winged Shell (time before the first hit!) - melee wing skill / normal until dead
    ...have same Problem with Chi here.
    If your Winged Shell isn't maxed yet, MAX IT. It's absolutely the most important skill for PvE. It will save you a fortune in potions.

..I could just max WS to lvl 6 and Take Aim as well.
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Ouch...
    I hope this helps...

It for sure did help - thanks a lot.
    Well, I hadn't done any crafting at all so far.
    That appears to be a major mistake.
  • StormHydra - Sanctuary
    StormHydra - Sanctuary Posts: 2,221 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Ok, my combos for ranged enemies.
    Take Aim>Normal>Normal>knockback>frost>normal til dead or if it is strong, lightning strike.
    The second normal i sometimes leave out if its a fast moving enemy.
    OR
    Frost>normal>normal>knockback>frost(fast cooldown)>normal till dead or lightning strike if its strong.
    I usually alternate in between these two because the second combo loses 5 chi every time i use it (at the end.) The take aim in the first one gains 15 chi instead of losing 5 so as long as you alternate youll be fine and every now and then you can use aim low or spark eruption. You can put some winged shells in there as well, generally after the frost arrow after knockback.

Melee enemies i use
    Frost>normal>normal>knockback>frost>winged shell>normal till dead (even if they come close, or if they have alot of hp left, lightning strike.)

If you really want, you can put some points into vit until like 20 vit
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    |Active: Coalescence - Lost City, Wizard|
    |Inactive: StormHydra - Sanctuary, Archer|
    |Call of Duty: Black Ops|League of Legends|Forsaken World|Perfect World International|The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim|
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You need more str to use armor your level. Str should be level + 4 and while the rank equips are nice when you get them, they will get old and outdated.

Is that a magic ring I see equipped? If it is, ditch it for a physical one. Boosting your magic attack does nothing for an archer.

Personally, I'd ditch the MP helm for one that boosts HP. That's just my opinion and preference during those levels, though.

Stop leveling knockback unless you don't mind using tons of MP. The damage boost isn't as useful as the fact that it knocks back an opponent and that's the main thing you'd want it for anyway.

Upgrade your bow. In the mid 30s, the trial crossbow won't cut it anymore. Grab a 2 or 3 star bow for your level to get the damage increase you need.

Use garnets. Archers already have plenty of accuracy and the shards won't help as much as having higher damage.

Start working on your apothecary skills. Those potions are a gdsend and will make your life much easier. Similarily, work on blacksmith and tailor as well since the difference between a 2/3 star armor/weapon and the regular 1 star version from NPCs/monsters can be rather significant.

Try not to use skills too much in general. Frost arrow (and take aim depending on how you play) at the start of fights on close range mobs, Knockback when anything gets close, winged shell if they're close and knockback's on cooldown or they use ranged attacks, keep blazing active at all times, etc. Those are some simple tips that make a large difference in the long run.
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thank you, StormHydra, for your thoughts,

I tried your combos, but indeed it didn't change much but the Chi-mechanism, of course.

Seems that I simply do not enough damage on the mobs before they reach my precious body. I can deal to some effort on mobs some levels lower, but to equal ones I need always potions (even with Winged Shell).

Beeing now lvl 37 I made 2 of those quests - painfully and with many potions.
    The others are way beyond my capabilities.

I played archer types on other MMORPGs, and think in most cases are the basics the same. Never had such perils like with this one in PWI.
    What makes me start thinking of giving up on him - casual players probably should not chose that class in PWI.

Thx...
  • animas77
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Thanks, truekossy...

to STR: at my level 37 I have 33 - so I'm missing 8 points on that, you say?
    Had not seen armor so far that I could have used - they all required much more STR than 41, but I can be wrong.

Rings: Yes one is a magic ring with HP +40 (that is the reason I took it) and Magic Attack +11 (I understand that this is not much of worth).
    But have still to find your recommend ones.

Helm: maybe you're right - as above I need to find a better one (items at auctioneer have sometimes insane prices).

Weapons: I got a 2-star bow - will try to upgrade it. And for the crossbow I use I have encountered a strange behaviour on my Chi: after the first normal attack the Chi drops to zero (and then regaining again), regardless how many I had. Any idea about that ?

And I already realized that I missed the crafting skills completely - perhaps a desastrous mistake.

and for the rest I will try - however "keep blazing active at all times" -what does that mean? (probably a language problem for me ?).

Thx....
  • Flieyah - Dreamweaver
    Flieyah - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I know people are going to groan at this, but I found the best combo for melee for me is Serrated Arrow>Frost>Normal>Normal>Knockback> Normal till death.

The reason for that is that at my level, serrated arrow does a nice amount of innitial damage and the dot helps a little bit.

I usually get mobs down before they ever reach me. Also, I have become a big consumer of focus powder. Just one of those every ten minutes and you NEVER have to worry about mana.
    "What we do is what you just can't do."
    b:cool
  • Aleksandria - Dreamweaver
    Aleksandria - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I don't understand why you're having Chi problems. Against ranged enemies, Winged Shell is the only Chi skill you're using. You should make more than 45 Chi when attacking an enemy. Are you killing them really fast?

The melee combo does use two Chi skills, but Frost Arrow is really cheap. It should also take more hits to kill a melee enemy, as they tend to have higher HP, and you're doing half damage once they close in.

You shouldn't be getting attacked immediately after the Knockback on that combo either. Have you maxed your range skill? If you start from max range, with the +range skill maxed, you should be good.

Also, the "keep blazing active" refers to the Blazing Arrow buff, which you should also have maxed.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I know people are going to groan at this, but I found the best combo for melee for me is Serrated Arrow>Frost>Normal>Normal>Knockback> Normal till death.

I used Serrated Arrow and Poison Arrow as my openers until level 65ish. =)

With regards to the original purpose of this thread, I have a few additional comments:
    - You can regenerate Chi by casting Wings of Protection repeatedly.
    - Look at monster before you attack it. If it is "Weak" or "Sacrificial Assault", then you should only be using normal attacks against it (no skills). Thus, you will be regenerating HP / MP while fighting this mob.
    - When grinding, find a location with worthwhile materials nearby. When you need to regenerate some HP or MP, but you do not want to use potions or meditation, then just stop grinding for a few moments and mine some herbs or materials.
    - Offer to trade squad buffs with other classes, especially clerics. Give them the Wings of Protection buff, and you get all those nifty buffs from other classes. I always do this with any one grinding nearby.
    - Squad with other players. Not only does it make things easier, you also make contacts, which you will need for future endeavors (like bosses). And you get extra squad buffs if they are not archers.

These comments are in addition to all of the advice everyone else gave you.
  • XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary
    XxRaynaHeart - Sanctuary Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    1) I saw you put some into magic. Never, ever do that. Never.

2) If I'm not mistaken, are you wearing heavy armor to fill the gap of dying? If so, drop it. Make sure you wear light armor and evasion ornaments, that works the best.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MizukiMinoru ll Charisma Executor ll Active