Best Path for PvE Veno (Sage/Demon)

Valdea - Dreamweaver
Valdea - Dreamweaver Posts: 223 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
The title pretty much says it all. Which of the two is better for a caster PvE (with the occasional TW) veno?
Post edited by Valdea - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Without the use of foxform then I would say Demon perhaps.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • SilentFlame - Harshlands
    SilentFlame - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Without the use of foxform then I would say Demon perhaps.

i love your sig lol

i love what it says actually, did you come up with it?
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Demon has some good debuff effects, cooldown reductions, especially with fox skills. Sage allows for higher defense and raw damage though. Really depends how you play.

http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Sage is good for a arcane/heavy build, demon is good for a LA build (crit bonuses are good additions to your ~8% base). But yeah, depends on personal preference.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    demons have a useless ironwood, and are for phoenix using cowards who just like to run from battle :P. sage = heavy magic damage, and longer debuffs
  • Akasera - Sanctuary
    Akasera - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    vagrant0 wrote: »
    Demon has some good debuff effects, cooldown reductions, especially with fox skills. Sage allows for higher defense and raw damage though. Really depends how you play.

http://www.ecatomb.net/skillpwi.php

Sage is good for a arcane/heavy build, demon is good for a LA build (crit bonuses are good additions to your ~8% base). But yeah, depends on personal preference.

I have never understood this line of thinking, to be honest. The crit bonus actually is more meaningful to a robe that has no statted dex, where it can mean a 100% increase in crit rate. For an LA build that already has 10% or more crit, the actual impact of 2% crit is less given diminishing returns. Further, sage wood mastery and spark heighten the pure spike damage potential of your crits as compared to demon, which I find more useful if already possessing a healthy crit rate.

More pertinent to the topic, in general, sage has better PvE ability IMO. PvE favors consistent damage over spike, which is what sage does better with wood mastery and the guaranteed debuff on ironwood. The HP debuff effect on soul degeneration plus the stronger amplify damage also provide greater utility on those instance bosses with millions of HP to burn through, and it's easier to get chi for consistent spark passing. The one caveat I'd make is that demon does better in rebirth, where demon foxform is ideal for quest running/bean farming and has some kiting utility, parasitic nova can further amplify the zhen aoes, and is probably the one area where shorter cooldown on noxious gas is actually useful.
  • david12345
    david12345 Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    If you want pvp, go demon. You will need the extra crit to overcome charms, the demon ironwood will make most battles with heavies a breeze when you lower their p.def to 0 and the 30% wood weakness on target can be devastating, especially on classes that have low m.def to begin with.

The demon nova is also quite amazing, if you have good channel gear and your target is stunned by your nix, you can pull it off doing huge damage, stunning them further and making them recieve 30% more damage from your already OP nix.

Sage is generally for pve and foxform tanking, but it all depends on your playstyle.
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    Byno - Sanctuary Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    The people who say sage is for pve and demon is for pvp tend to base their generalization on two skills only : Wood Mastery and Fox Form. But demon has a lot of skills that are very useful for pve, and sage has plenty of skills more geared towards pvp, so it depends mostly on your preference. I personally prefer demon. I break it down like this:

• -Sage Wood Mastery gives 5% more damage than demon, but demon Venomous Scarab gives a 6 second debuff to increase wood damage by 30%. Tossing this out garentees the next attack or two will do 30% more, which for me makes up for sage's bonus. The debuff also allows any other venos to do more damage as well.
    • -Demon Bramble Guard reflects 15% more, as opposed to sage's longer duration. More damage reflected means the tank not only holds more aggro, but sends back more damage which helps to bring down bosses even faster.
    • -Sage Metabolic Boost and Nature's Grace increases the regen to 60%, while demon cuts the cooldown from 5 minutes to 3.5 minutes. Most venos use these skills to grind without using charms or pots, in which case demon gives slightly more regen: Sage gives .20% per second, while demon gives .24%. If your preference is to grind with an hp charm incase you get in over your head, sage's bonus is more or less useless unless it's used while the charm is on cooldown.
    • -Sage purge gives a 5m aoe, while demon reduces it's cooldown by 25 seconds. The cooldown isn't enough that a veno can solo purge bosses who buff themselves, but in pve terms the sage's small aoe is more or less useless. The cooldown is better than nothing.
    • -Sage amp boosts the damage from 20% to 50%, while demon increases the debuff's duration to 26 seconds. 50% damage is nice, but if it goes it's entire duration, demon gives more damage overall. Since this doesn't make much sense, I'll give you an example: If a party does an average of 5000 damage per second, sage would give a bonus 2500 damage per second, while demon gives 1000. This means that, under sage, the party would be doing 7500 per second, while demon does 6000. However, while at the end of 20 seconds sage has dealt 150,000 damage, at the end of 26 seconds demon has given 156,000. Obviously, two sage venos keeping a boss amped would do more damage, but when a veno is solo amping, such as when they're soloing a TT run, demon amp has the better outcome.

Sage, of course, does have bonuses that are also very helpful:

• -Demon Ironwood only has a 20% of reducing physical defence to 0, while sage does 40% reduction for 20 seconds. For pheonix venos, that means a 20% chance to tear whatever you're attacking apart, but for normal grinding the sage is the better bet.
    • -Sage Noxious Gas gives a nice damage boost, while demon gives a one second cooldown, which is...Very useless.
    • -Sage's Soul Degeneration reduces maximum HP by 20%, while demon's cuts down the target's evasion. For bosses, especially when soloing a TT, that 20% HP reduction means cutting the boss time down by 1/5. Demon's evasion debuff is only useful to any low dex phys memembers of the squad, and overall isn't useful enough that it would be used over amp.
    • -Sage's Summer Sprint acts as an instant self purify, which is very useful for grinding any mobs that have any sort of debuff to throw at you. Demon's immunity to movement buffs is more useful for a pvp setting.

Beyond that, most skills fall under the 'personal preference category'. Sage spark skills are geared towards saving yourself chi, while demon spark skills are geared more towards dealing more damage. One of the biggest 'perference' skills is Fox Form. In pve terms, demon's speed increase helps with luring bosses and getting through dungeons quickly, as well as getting close enough to bosses you need to amp and then getting out of the way in between aoes. It's also helpful when you want to get around fast but still want your pet out incase a mob comes after you, such as with farming. Sage's defence increase is the opposite, as instead of getting you out of the way of the damage, it allows you to take the damage easier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I have never understood this line of thinking, to be honest. The crit bonus actually is more meaningful to a robe that has no statted dex, where it can mean a 100% increase in crit rate. For an LA build that already has 10% or more crit, the actual impact of 2% crit is less given diminishing returns.
    I believe the reasoning comes from PvP, where getting two crits within 10 sec (before the charm ticks) is much much more than twice as valuable as getting one crit.
    -Sage Wood Mastery gives 5% more damage than demon, but demon Venomous Scarab gives a 6 second debuff to increase wood damage by 30%. Tossing this out garentees the next attack or two will do 30% more, which for me makes up for sage's bonus. The debuff also allows any other venos to do more damage as well.
    30% reduction to defense is not 30% increase in damage. While it depends on level and initial defense score, the 30% pdef reduction from the genie skill tangling mire only resulted in about a 20% increase in damage when i tested it against mobs.
    -Sage amp boosts the damage from 20% to 50%, while demon increases the debuff's duration to 26 seconds. 50% damage is nice, but if it goes it's entire duration, demon gives more damage overall. Since this doesn't make much sense, I'll give you an example: If a party does an average of 5000 damage per second, sage would give a bonus 2500 damage per second, while demon gives 1000. This means that, under sage, the party would be doing 7500 per second, while demon does 6000. However, while at the end of 20 seconds sage has dealt 150,000 damage, at the end of 26 seconds demon has given 156,000. Obviously, two sage venos keeping a boss amped would do more damage, but when a veno is solo amping, such as when they're soloing a TT run, demon amp has the better outcome.
    No. First, if ecatomb is right, sage is only 30%, not 50%. Second, you compared 20 seconds of the sage party's damage to 26 seconds of the demon party's damage. You have to compare for the same amount of time, including all the time that the mob is not amped.

Sage amp for 20 of 31.5 sec (don't forget casting time) would do (20*1.3 + 11.5) / 31.5 = 1.19
    = 19% more damage overall.

Demon amp for 26 of 31.5 sec would do (26*1.2 + 5.5) / 31.5 = 1.165
    = 16.5% more damage overall.

Sage's Soul Degeneration reduces maximum HP by 20%, while demon's cuts down the target's evasion. For bosses, especially when soloing a TT, that 20% HP reduction means cutting the boss time down by 1/5.
    There's a genie skill (admittedly high-end) which will reduce max hp by 10% at level 99. So the advantage of sage soul degen isn't quite as big. And the genie skill is a lot easier to get access to, though it only starts at 6.5% at level 70. (Yes I know it's listed as a level 60 skill, but your genie needs to be level 70 to have enough attribute points to get the skill.)
    -Sage's Summer Sprint acts as an instant self purify, which is very useful for grinding any mobs that have any sort of debuff to throw at you. Demon's immunity to movement buffs is more useful for a pvp setting.
    From what I understand, the immunity to movement debuffs only works for 6 seconds against new debuffs. Any debuffs already on you stay on you. The sage version sounds like it would remove any movement debuffs on you, making it a reactive skill rather than one where you have to predict when someone is going to cast a debuff on you.
    One of the biggest 'perference' skills is Fox Form. In pve terms, demon's speed increase helps with luring bosses and getting through dungeons quickly, as well as getting close enough to bosses you need to amp and then getting out of the way in between aoes.
    This advantage is somewhat diminished with the genie skills which buff your movement speed.
  • vagrant0
    edited June 2009
    As ironwood seems to be a hot point here, consider this...

For sage, the increased duration doesn't help much unless you happen to die soon after casting. Usually, on bosses, you tend to cast this every time it cools down anyway since it has a higher weapon bonus than venomous.

For demon, just because you go demon does not mean that you need to upgrade this skill to demon level. Sure, it does almost twice the bonus damage, but depending on case, that 30% reduction ends up meaning more to your group or pet's damage. If you upgrade it to demon level, even though you lose that 40% reduction, you can make up for it with a level 5 pierce pet skill.
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    There's a genie skill (admittedly high-end) which will reduce max hp by 10% at level 99. So the advantage of sage soul degen isn't quite as big. And the genie skill is a lot easier to get access to, though it only starts at 6.5% at level 70. (Yes I know it's listed as a level 60 skill, but your genie needs to be level 70 to have enough attribute points to get the skill.)

There are a lot of skills that have some sort of genie counterpart that could act as a substitute if you choose the opposing culti, and so I more or less ignored them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dioica - Sanctuary
    Dioica - Sanctuary Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    [*]-Sage's Soul Degeneration reduces maximum HP by 20%, while demon's cuts down the target's evasion. For bosses, especially when soloing a TT, that 20% HP reduction means cutting the boss time down by 1/5. Demon's evasion debuff is only useful to any low dex phys memembers of the squad, and overall isn't useful enough that it would be used over amp.

I think, in PvE, reduced evasion can help your tank hold aggro.

And, in PvP, I think reduced evasion can help deal with archers and dexterity-based blademasters.
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    I think, in PvE, reduced evasion can help your tank hold aggro.

And, in PvP, I think reduced evasion can help deal with archers and dexterity-based blademasters.

Yes, it can mean your tank will hit more, but Soul Degeneration is a curse, and can't be used at the same time as Amplified Damage, and I personally wouldn't sacrifice amp for it.

As for pvp, the evasion would really only be useful for your pet, not you. It's not a bad thing to get close to an archer to cut down their damage, but getting near a bm can get you stunlocked and get you killed. Of course, once again, I'd rather amp them if I was going to bother.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Akasera - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    I believe the reasoning comes from PvP, where getting two crits within 10 sec (before the charm ticks) is much much more than twice as valuable as getting one crit.

Actually, I'm talking PvP too. My point is, as LA, relative increase in crit rate with demon wood mastery is far less than that of a robe. Give that, with a few crit adds on equip, I can already crit once every eight casts, I find the increased spike potential with the 5% damage (and 200% extra on sage spark) add more attractive than critting once every seven casts. On the flipside, a robe with say a 5% crit rate would crit every 20 casts; demon boosts this to once every 14 casts roughly, a 6 cast difference in odds.

30% reduction to defense is not 30% increase in damage. While it depends on level and initial defense score, the 30% pdef reduction from the genie skill tangling mire only resulted in about a 20% increase in damage when i tested it against mobs.

Beat me to it; this is something too many people confuse. I'd still rather have this add than my 20% chance of chi gain for sage, but it doesn't mean 30% increase in damage.

This skill also requires 180 energy, which takes a full vit build genie and means you basically can't use any other skills if you want the debuff on something or someone, and limits the other build options on the genie. I do want to know how the HP debuff works though; whether it's directly tied to the soul degen curse, or simply added as an extra debuff on cast. Hoping the latter, mostly for PvP to allow for an immediate transition to amp without losing the HP debuff, though in either case it still accomplishes its mission of a fast -20% HP. The curse override limit is meaningless in PvE, as enemies don't heal (generally); even if the debuff is tied to the soul degen curse and removed by amp, the enemy isn't getting that lost 20% back, same as sharptooth works for archers.
    From what I understand, the immunity to movement debuffs only works for 6 seconds against new debuffs. Any debuffs already on you stay on you. The sage version sounds like it would remove any movement debuffs on you, making it a reactive skill rather than one where you have to predict when someone is going to cast a debuff on you.

This advantage is somewhat diminished with the genie skills which buff your movement speed.

Correct, demon sprint only works as a preventive measure, same as a vac powder. Sage sprint of course still won't help on the worst movement impairments, stun and sleep, since you have to be able to use skills in the first place to get the purify.
    As ironwood seems to be a hot point here, consider this...

For sage, the increased duration doesn't help much unless you happen to die soon after casting. Usually, on bosses, you tend to cast this every time it cools down anyway since it has a higher weapon bonus than venomous.

For demon, just because you go demon does not mean that you need to upgrade this skill to demon level. Sure, it does almost twice the bonus damage, but depending on case, that 30% reduction ends up meaning more to your group or pet's damage. If you upgrade it to demon level, even though you lose that 40% reduction, you can make up for it with a level 5 pierce pet skill.

It's still a redundant skill when you could otherwise have something new and useful on your pet. Instead of tossing pierce on a pet when I could have been able to def debuff myself, I'd rather be able to howl for mdef debuff, threaten for attack debuff, pounce for stun, shriek to interrupt, or bleed/bash for extra damage. Besides, if you're using a legendary pet, which to be honest most 9x venos have at least one of, you have no place for pierce. And anyway, if you don't upgrade, you lose the over 1.4k added damage on sage/demon ironwood from lv10, which kinda defeats the point of going demon if you aren't upgrading one of your primary skills.
  • vagrant0
    edited June 2009
    Actually, I'm talking PvP too. My point is, as LA, relative increase in crit rate with demon wood mastery is far less than that of a robe. Give that, with a few crit adds on equip, I can already crit once every eight casts, I find the increased spike potential with the 5% damage (and 200% extra on sage spark) add more attractive than critting once every seven casts. On the flipside, a robe with say a 5% crit rate would crit every 20 casts; demon boosts this to once every 14 casts roughly, a 6 cast difference in odds.
    Except in the case of TW or PvP, where it is often the lucky shots that make the real difference, or against bosses, where high crit rate means higher damage over time. A 15% crit rate* is nothing to laugh at. The goal with this one is not for higher damage while grinding, where a crit every now and then only means one less spell, but instead the instances where that 1 out of every 8 casts dealing more damage either does the finishing hit on a player, or over time adds up. This works for the same reason that archers tend to do better damage than BMs, and Wizards. The more often you crit, the more damage you're doing. Although the odds increase more for the arcane build, it isn't nearly as often as it is for the LA build. My veno, with 9% often ends up getting 2-4 crits in a row already. Something like that, more consistently, just has more impact than some extra damage over time.
    Beat me to it; this is something too many people confuse. I'd still rather have this add than my 20% chance of chi gain for sage, but it doesn't mean 30% increase in damage.
    No, but it is a damage increase which is applied from the main spell you use when casting, which works with your only real type of damage. As this helps alot with those pesky wood mobs/bosses, is much more useful in the long run than extra chi. Unless you're sparking constantly, you tend to either sit with 2-3 sparks already built up anyway, and often end up burning one when using soul transfusion when you need more mana. As sage barbs get a skill which invalidates their dependency on veno sparks, most of your chi just ends up sitting there, or being burned in a slightly more powerful attack. Again, means more for an arcane or heavy build (since your base damage is higher) than it means for a LA build (which tends to be weaker on base damage).
    It's still a redundant skill when you could otherwise have something new and useful on your pet. Instead of tossing pierce on a pet when I could have been able to def debuff myself, I'd rather be able to howl for mdef debuff, threaten for attack debuff, pounce for stun, shriek to interrupt, or bleed/bash for extra damage. Besides, if you're using a legendary pet, which to be honest most 9x venos have at least one of, you have no place for pierce. And anyway, if you don't upgrade, you lose the over 1.4k added damage on sage/demon ironwood from lv10, which kinda defeats the point of going demon if you aren't upgrading one of your primary skills.

Really personal preference here. I always see my pets as an extension of my skills, not as just another source of damage. Likewise, I tend to carry more than just a tank and air pet, with all my pets being designed for a specific role. Herc might be great for tanking, but is a bit lackluster when you have a barb in group, fighting a boss that the herc can't live through. Most of herc's damage comes from the reflect and the bash. Without those, its quite a bit less effective at just damage than say, a scorpion or kowlin. The later, coming with both debuffs. Pounce doesn't work on bosses, shreik doesn't work on bosses, attack debuff only works for 15 seconds every minute. Meaning that your effective skills are really just; low bash, high ripping bite, pierce, and howl. All of these coming standard on the kowlin, and easy to put on a scorpion. If you're only using 1 or 2 pets for attacking, you're kinda limiting yourself. Even without the lack of a phys debuff, although there is overlap, it is often useful to be able to apply a phys debuff on something without having to cast a spell...

As for the not-upgrading part. Yeah, you lose out on 1.4k damage, but the cost of the spell is lower, and often ironwood is used just for the phys debuff. Again, this is personal preference. Is it better to have 1.4k damage outright, with a 40% phys reduction from sage, or is it better to have the 30% wood reduction and the 30% phys reduction from demon. The answer would depend entirely on the situation, and although it sounds contrary, doesn't necessarily mean that it is wrong. Past level 90, most of your damage from this spell is coming from your weapon anyway. With highly upgraded gear, even more so.

*Correction, with demon, and a light armor build, you can get around 20% with the right rings and equipment at level 105, without having to pour too much into dex. 1 crit out of 5 casts is quite a bit different than 1 out of 14.
  • Nightfaii - Harshlands
    Nightfaii - Harshlands Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    i personally hate the crit in pve, crit = lose agro = b:surrender

but just my personal conclusion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vidalaire - Heavens Tear
    Vidalaire - Heavens Tear Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Actually, the debuff is the last reason I use Ironwood. Ironwood does the best damage per mana. So, I use it first on mobs to get their hp down and finish them off with Venomous. Don't get me wrong, the debuff is nice, but not essential. 30% physical defense reduction really only adds up to 200-300 more damage per hit for your pet. When you're grinding, that little bit of damage doesn't matter one way or another when you're nuking for 7k-8k per hit. Plus, aggro is not really an issue since most of your pet's aggro comes from it's attack skills not it's raw damage. If you're stealing aggro, that little bit of damage won't help one way or the other.

If you're in a squad, the Ironwood debuff becomes even more redundant. Clerics have Dimensional Seal which lowers physical resistance by 30%. Barbs have Devour. That skill lowers physical resistance by 50% and they can keep the debuff up indefintely with no breaks as long as they have enough chi. So, if my Ironwood doesn't debuff, big deal. However, when it does debuff prepare for some damage.

Not upgrading Ironwood seems kind of illogical. You're giving up 1.4k damage so your pet can do 200 more damage? But if you really like having that constant 30% debuff, then more power to you.

On a side note, it's nice to see that there are people who can discuss this topic rationally and logically without flaming/name-calling. Usually, sage/demon topics devolve into "Demon Ironwood sucks. Sage FTW."
    edited June 2009
    This skill also requires 180 energy, which takes a full vit build genie and means you basically can't use any other skills if you want the debuff on something or someone, and limits the other build options on the genie.
    Which is why you use two genies. The full vit one for an opener, then switch to your regular genie for other debuffs.
  • Akasera - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Except in the case of TW or PvP, where it is often the lucky shots that make the real difference, or against bosses, where high crit rate means higher damage over time. A 15% crit rate* is nothing to laugh at. The goal with this one is not for higher damage while grinding, where a crit every now and then only means one less spell, but instead the instances where that 1 out of every 8 casts dealing more damage either does the finishing hit on a player, or over time adds up. This works for the same reason that archers tend to do better damage than BMs, and Wizards. The more often you crit, the more damage you're doing. Although the odds increase more for the arcane build, it isn't nearly as often as it is for the LA build. My veno, with 9% often ends up getting 2-4 crits in a row already. Something like that, more consistently, just has more impact than some extra damage over time.

Again, you're missing my point. You will receive no arguments from me that spike damage is what matters in PvP, it's part of why I went LA and why I wear crit gear. My point is, the relative rate of crit increase for an LA is less than for a robe; there is less relative gain from 2% if your base rate is already double-digit per the law of diminishing returns. The base damage additions that sage gets means my spike damage potential is even greater; I already crit often, they enable me to crit even harder and ensure I break through enemy defenses and charms. It's not damage over time I'm concerned with, it's enhancing my spike damage potential for those deathblows. But this strays from the PvE origins of the thread, and as someone else noted, extra crit also makes aggro control more unreliable and will still lose over time to base damage increase in general DD on PvE.
    No, but it is a damage increase which is applied from the main spell you use when casting, which works with your only real type of damage. As this helps alot with those pesky wood mobs/bosses, is much more useful in the long run than extra chi. Unless you're sparking constantly, you tend to either sit with 2-3 sparks already built up anyway, and often end up burning one when using soul transfusion when you need more mana. As sage barbs get a skill which invalidates their dependency on veno sparks, most of your chi just ends up sitting there, or being burned in a slightly more powerful attack. Again, means more for an arcane or heavy build (since your base damage is higher) than it means for a LA build (which tends to be weaker on base damage).

Wasn't arguing this, just noting the difference in common perception and actuality. As said , I still would rather have the demon add on venomous by a long-shot, and can't imagine any veno wouldn't. It's probably the single-most open and shut case on which path "wins" on a skill.
    Really personal preference here. I always see my pets as an extension of my skills, not as just another source of damage. Likewise, I tend to carry more than just a tank and air pet, with all my pets being designed for a specific role. Herc might be great for tanking, but is a bit lackluster when you have a barb in group, fighting a boss that the herc can't live through. Most of herc's damage comes from the reflect and the bash. Without those, its quite a bit less effective at just damage than say, a scorpion or kowlin. The later, coming with both debuffs. Pounce doesn't work on bosses, shreik doesn't work on bosses, attack debuff only works for 15 seconds every minute. Meaning that your effective skills are really just; low bash, high ripping bite, pierce, and howl. All of these coming standard on the kowlin, and easy to put on a scorpion. If you're only using 1 or 2 pets for attacking, you're kinda limiting yourself. Even without the lack of a phys debuff, although there is overlap, it is often useful to be able to apply a phys debuff on something without having to cast a spell...

Hmm, pretty sure shriek does work on boss channels, but not something I've really delved into admittedly, and there is lightning chaser for that anyway if you wanted. However, if herc can't live through something, then normally you are talking about a ? level boss. In these cases, given damage reduction penalty on players that pets don't receive, what you don't want is your own pet messing up aggro control, especially on bosses with directional aoe, so pure DD isn't always that great. Besides, I myself also use a debuffing pet for instances and non-aerial enabled PvP; I still don't find pierce that worthy a use of a slot. I'd rather debuff magic defense with howl for my own DD to start, then either attack debuff or pounce depending on circumstance and PvE/PvP. Ironwood is going to be cast within 5-10 seconds of me starting an enemy anyway; if nothing else bleed has more utility to me than an extra second or two of def debuff which doesn't even help my own DD ability.
    *Correction, with demon, and a light armor build, you can get around 20% with the right rings and equipment at level 105, without having to pour too much into dex. 1 crit out of 5 casts is quite a bit different than 1 out of 14.

The 1 in 14 number was for robes, for one thing. Assume equal stat and equip LA venos, one sage and one demon, in your scenario, you get 18% crit for the sage and 20% crit for the demon. 18% crit translates into a crit 1 in every 5.6 casts versus 1 in every 5.0 for the demon; sorry, but I'll trade that 0.6 difference for a guaranteed 5% damage boost, especially when it's tacked onto my crits.
    edited June 2009
    also one major point to consider, for the not so hard core, casual player.
    unless you actually have the money, time, and connections to get to goto FB99, cube for 99 skills, or do RB delta, you wont see more than demon/sage ironwood venomous and fox form :P.

for you casual players, you may wanna build around these three skills to make a decision.
  • HolyInferno - Sanctuary
    HolyInferno - Sanctuary Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    also one major point to consider, for the not so hard core, casual player.
    unless you actually have the money, time, and connections to get to goto FB99, cube for 99 skills, or do RB delta, you wont see more than demon/sage ironwood venomous and fox form :P.

for you casual players, you may wanna build around these three skills to make a decision.

a very major point indeed
    b:bye you were all swell peoples
  • vagrant0
    edited June 2009
    a very major point indeed

Then again, there is a nifty thing called auctioner. I believe there is also a forge in 1k streams that can break down and make tomes (break into 20 pages, make from 30). Then there's the CS pages (I think). So it's really more of a money thing than time or being hard core. Not entirely sure on these, but that's what it looked like.

Although other books are a bit hard to get now, in the 3-4 months that it'll take most to reach the levels to get to demon/sage, they will likely become more accessible since everyone else will be trying to get their books too.
    edited June 2009
    although it may be true, all the few that have been auctioned off either A, dont sell because theyre 99 skills, or B, are snatched up by the more wealthy already demon/sage players. its kind of hard for the rest of us to get them unless we have connections.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Suggestion: become more wealthy, and sage/demon. *cough*

He's right though, the more people level, the more need will be had for those books past the "basic" "gettable" skills and the more chance all of us will have to get them. Unless you plan to quit the game soon, or not level past 90, I certainly wouldn't build my choice for sage/demon around the currently "gettable" skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Ok I dont think you get the point, out of all those listed methods, the easiest ones to get are the cube ones, which you can get after a few weeks of cube wh0ring. (not sure if its random, but ive only seen 3 99 skills come from cube on our server) BUT the majority of them are RB delta and FB99 which is A. Ridiculously hard or B. Abysmally low of a drop. Theyre not going to magically be a part of a common market anytime soon, I guarentee it
  • Angerr - Harshlands
    Angerr - Harshlands Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    You also need to take into consideration triple sparks. The heaven one giving back mana when cast, coupled with the heaven chi gaining skill and heaven venomous scarab this means you really save on mp pots for pve and can triple spark very often. Bosses in HH etc tend to never require pots or anything, just the switch skills and heaven spark.

IMO heaven is very chi based, you gain 3 sparks so fast. The foxform for tanking while purging is awesome aswell, crazy pdef.

For extra skills, just do cube for pages, you're guarenteed a skill every 30 days then, right?
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I often hear people suggest Demon for PvP, but I'm looking at a few of the skills and rethinking it through...

- Venomous scarab gives a 30% wood resist decrease in Demon. Useful for PvE, but not so much PvP (I don't plan on lvling past lvl 92 anyway). Usually in PvP with my phoenix, my combo is Lucky Scarab -> Ironwood Scarab -> (Venomous if they're still alive). Opening with a venomous doesn't seem as effective as opening with a Lucky Scarab. The chi part I could see as being useful for getting the chi for Ironwood or a spark, but I don't imagine either being all that powerful in PvP when your main damage source is the phoenix
    - Ironwood scarab increases duration to 20 seconds for Sage and a 20% chance of full armour break in Demon. In my opinion, 20% seems a bit low and would ruin a skill I use often in PvP. Any experiences on this?
    - Lucky scarab increases an entire 1s in Sage. With lucky scarab being my opener, this seems strongly attractive. A 2s demon cooldown reduction doesn't seem much or as powerful as a 1s stun increase.
    - Summer sprint is an insta-purify in Sage while a movement debuff in Demon. Even though I'm arcane, I have high vit (3.8k HP unbuffed at the moment) and high pdef (2.5k in human form) so, except for archers, I usually don't bother trying to run away if a BM or barb gets close. Stun immunity is nice but an instant purify seems a lot more versatile (e.g. against other phoenixes). On the other hand, I can see the stun immunity as a combo with the Air Strand skill or with the lvl 79 Feral Concentration skill. Again, any experiences with this?
    - Amplify damage I only use against barb or BMs with too much HP. Being an arcane build, I find being able to deal more damage still in human form better than wasting the few seconds transforming into a fox, then casting amplify, waiting half a second for the foxform cooldown, then turn back into human to continue DDing. As a result, I only use purge + amplify when killing takes too long (in TW, I often use purge + soul degeneration instead vs catapult barbs). The Demon AoE bonus is pretty useless to me in PvP, but Sage amplify says an _additional_ 30%. If that mean a _total_ of 50% damage increase, that would be strongly attractive.

Pretty much my favourings are as followed:
    - Venomous scarab - meh, both don't seem that powerful in solo PvP
    - Ironwood scarab - 20s Sage duration looks nice but how good/frequent is the 100% Demon armour break?
    - Lucky scarab - Sage +1s stun = good
    - Summer sprint - Sage purify > Demon anti-stun
    - Amplify - Sage = +50% damage?

Keep in mind that I'm not taking Demon/Sage triple-spark here into account as saving up 3 sparks seems to be something not-easily done in spontaneous/mass PvP. At the moment I'm leaning towards Sage purely due to Lucky scarab and Summer sprint, but the thing that could change my thought is Demon Ironwood's 100% armour break and the possible Demon Summer sprint + air-strand/feral concentration combo, both of which I'd like to hear experiences with.

~Desiree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    - Ironwood scarab increases duration to 20 seconds for Sage and a 20% chance of full armour break in Demon. In my opinion, 20% seems a bit low and would ruin a skill I use often in PvP. Any experiences on this?
    Wait, it ruins the skill? Demon Ironwood no longer does the regular 20% pdef debuff? I thought it kept the 20% debuff, and on top of that there was a 20% chance to reduce pdef to zero?

Even at a 20% chance, I'd consider setting pdef to zero to be pretty major for PvP considering you can cast it every 10 sec or so (provided you have the chi). A lot of barbs and bms (and heavy foxes) have pdef up the wazoo. At 70 in heavy fox form, mine is 11k (and I still haven't gotten any of the TT70 armor), which corresponds to 80% damage reduction against level 70 opponents. Drop my pdef to zero and I'm taking 5x as much physical damage.

At 90, zero pdef + phoenix = 4096*.25 = 1024 damage per second just from the regular attacks. The bleed from flesh ream everyone complains about works out to 546 damage/sec (? not sure if duration is 15 sec or 9 sec - either way it's less than 1024 per sec). If Pounce just fired and the 3 sec stun lands, the target is gonna take 3072 damage while stunned, and an additional 1024 damage 0.2 sec after stun wears off. You'll be dealing >10k damage in 10 sec worst case, meaning even with a hp charm anyone with less than 6.7k is dead just from your pet unless they have supplemental healing.
    but Sage amplify says an _additional_ 30%. If that mean a _total_ of 50% damage increase, that would be strongly attractive.
    I see where the earlier respondent got the 50% damage increase figure from. It would be good to have that clarified by a sage veno as 30% or 50%.
  • Akasera - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Wait, it ruins the skill? Demon Ironwood no longer does the regular 20% pdef debuff? I thought it kept the 20% debuff, and on top of that there was a 20% chance to reduce pdef to zero?

Even at a 20% chance, I'd consider setting pdef to zero to be pretty major for PvP considering you can cast it every 10 sec or so (provided you have the chi). A lot of barbs and bms (and heavy foxes) have pdef up the wazoo. At 70 in heavy fox form, mine is 11k (and I still haven't gotten any of the TT70 armor), which corresponds to 80% damage reduction against level 70 opponents. Drop my pdef to zero and I'm taking 5x as much physical damage.

At 90, zero pdef + phoenix = 4096*.25 = 1024 damage per second just from the regular attacks. The bleed from flesh ream everyone complains about works out to 546 damage/sec (? not sure if duration is 15 sec or 9 sec - either way it's less than 1024 per sec). If Pounce just fired and the 3 sec stun lands, the target is gonna take 3072 damage while stunned, and an additional 1024 damage 0.2 sec after stun wears off. You'll be dealing >10k damage in 10 sec worst case, meaning even with a hp charm anyone with less than 6.7k is dead just from your pet unless they have supplemental healing.

I see where the earlier respondent got the 50% damage increase figure from. It would be good to have that clarified by a sage veno as 30% or 50%.

Sage Ironwood is a 100% chance for 40% armor break over 20 seconds (lv10 being 30% over 10 seconds). Demon Ironwood is a 20% chance for 100% armor break over 10 seconds, 80% no armor break, so yes, it's all or nothing regarding the debuff effect. Also, I really need to get a demon veno to confirm this for me, been too lazy, but I don't think demon iron is a complete armor break in PvP. I know the 0 def debuff on the lv79 rainbow skills definitely does NOT translate as 0 def in PvP, and likewise the lv10 and sage iron debuffs are halved in PvP (15%/20% debuffs for lv10/sage).

I can't confirm for myself (stupid non-dropping fb99 bosses), but am 99% sure sage amp is "just" 30% damage increase overall. If you're going by ecatomb, it has some misleading descriptions, such as failing to mention the 6s duration of the demon summer sprint effect.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Sage Ironwood is a 100% chance for 40% armor break over 20 seconds (lv10 being 30% over 10 seconds). Demon Ironwood is a 20% chance for 100% armor break over 10 seconds, 80% no armor break, so yes, it's all or nothing regarding the debuff effect..
    Wait, let me see if I got this straight.. If I hit with demon Ironwood and dont get armor break to 0 defence.. I wont even break it down by 30% that I get from level 10 Ironwood?
    *Semi retired*
  • Akasera - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Wait, let me see if I got this straight.. If I hit with demon Ironwood and dont get armor break to 0 defence.. I wont even break it down by 30% that I get from level 10 Ironwood?

Correct. You will either get the 0 def or no debuff at all. 80% of the time, demon iron will just do damage, with no other effect.