If you have 1.5k-2k Latancy...

Options
guruki
guruki Posts: 5 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
Is it possible to play this game?

I know some will say "well gee, if you have that kind of lag, don't even bother", but then I've played both WoW and EQ2 with this lag and have made it work there with the right classes (hunters/pallies in wow, warden in eq2 (i like healing)). So what I'm asking is, are there classes in this game that are playable with a 2 second lag time?

I've been looking into clerics and archers, but there may be other classes that work as well.

Another important thing for me is spell timing. In the other MMOs I've played, one could easily time a spell with their lag by hitting the next spell 1.5-2 seconds before the current spell finishes casting, is this possible here?

Its funny, I learned how to play eq2 with this lag, so it was like it wasn't really there. With wow...well, the lag is the only thing that made it enjoyable with the classes I played. They would have been boringly easy without it... it was still pretty easy with it actually, just because of the nature of the classes.
Post edited by guruki on

Comments

• Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Try and see, tho i then suggest dont play a Wizard, Cleric, you wont be able to damn thing right, so probably go for a veno/bm/barb
    b:dirty
  • guruki
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Veno seems to work well with the lag so far.

I wonder what other people who play with high latancy have to say. It'd be interesting to know how others work around this issue.
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    For a cheap 19.99 per month solution

Get Charter DSL connection.

That should at least bring your ping down to at least 200... If not down to like 40

But a question I really want to ask you is that why haven't you changed your internet connection b:question
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • guruki
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I'm actually using a satalite connection right now. I live 60 miles from town, so my only options are various wireless connections or a phone line....

I've heard I could use verizon for a decent connection, but I also here there are caps, and I'm weary of cell phone company connections as we barely get reception out here, if at all.

I'll keep that in mind though, for the day when I will hopefully move into a real town... or even a city.
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    edited out stupid comment by me :)
  • Mothra - Lost City
    Mothra - Lost City Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Well the connection I'm currently on is pretty messed up. It used to be fine, but a few months ago it started taking forever for page loads (downloads are fine, though). Games suffered too, naturally.

I don't have your problem exactly, probably worse, but I guess I can speak on it. The attacks usually go through eventually if they don't when you hit the key, and Clerics are even less fun to level when you lag. Veno is by far the best choice followed by something that can take a lot of hits like a Barbarian or BM. I don't know how your latency isssue works compared to mine, but that's all I have to say.
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    With that sort of latency I honestly wouldnt bother.
    Even the most forgiving classes (veno?) are going to be frustrating and impossible to do anything remotely challenging.
    I played on another PW once with 600 ping and that was bad enough.
  • Compost - Harshlands
    Compost - Harshlands Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    was gonna ask if u use sattelite but u already answered b:laugh

i bet u have hughesnet...

i had that terrible service for a while

if u have hughesnet i have no idea how your going to download the client...isnt there that 200mb daily cap on high-speed internet usage? b

now im on a 7mb cable connection

cable ftw
  • guruki
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Hughs through wild blue, I believe.

So far it seems ok, but I'm only int he very early stages of the game, so we'll see.

I figured it would be the same in WoW and I was still able to do quite a few things I shouldn't have been able to do with out lag. Then again, WoW was pretty easy, I have no idea how it compairs to this game.