A question on flying

Phenoix - Heavens Tear
Phenoix - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
I just noticed that me and a friend with same mount was flying side by side at first ,but then we drifted apart. i asked if anything had changed and he said no .. Was wandering if the flying was bugged on it ..Can someone verify this about flying for me.. i have noticed it alot lately..
Post edited by Phenoix - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• FedTehNoob - Lost City
    FedTehNoob - Lost City Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It's possible that one of you accelerated...? Or, perhaps his is upgraded?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phenoix - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Nah we redid it ,but we both used our all acceleration before hand to make sure of it..Just confused cause it is wierd .. Seems to happen alot between us and i know that we have same speed on wings.. Just not sure if how high u are effects them.. i know that minizing to widows seems too..
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Could be possibly due to lag?
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I just noticed that me and a friend with same mount was flying side by side at first ,but then we drifted apart. i asked if anything had changed and he said no .. Was wandering if the flying was bugged on it ..Can someone verify this about flying for me.. i have noticed it alot lately..

Try traveling on a straight line lol

The closest distance between 2 points is a straight line

How to actually not fail at testing fly speed

1. Have same speed aerogear
    2. Click flight
    3. One person leader, one person follower, alternate afterwards
    4. Follower clicks Follow
    5. Leader zooms and go
    6. If follower can't catch up, means what?
    7. Repeat and alternate
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Phenoix - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    When we redid it we went from arch to wellspring .. i was in front when we started but in the end he landed and was w8ing for me to land but we have same speed is just so confuseing .. plus we do the world quest alot and is samething alot on it.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    As you mentioned, minimizing the game makes you go slower. The only reason I can guess why this happens is that your computer is using less resources to run the game and that causes you to go slower (since for some lame reason the game makes your computer move you rather than calculating your speed times the amount of time and just putting you where you belong). I have to assume that this would also mean that if your computer is not as good as someone else's then it would cause you to move more slowly (since there are less resources to run perfect world). That is my best guess if all other things are equal.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Also, keep in mind that flight speed works off base speed. Meaning that since different classes move at different speeds, they will fly faster or slower than other classes.

In otherwords, 6.0 m/s character speed + 0.5 m/s fly speed = 6.5 m/s total speed.

For venos and barbs, they get speed buffs that increase their base speed, allowing for a much higher fly speed. level 86+ barb/veno with +3.0 fly mount can even go faster than a 10.0 m/s riding mount.

But really, it's a matter of lag and vector. If you weren't 100% parallel, or following the exact same path, one of you would have had a shorter path, so would have pulled ahead. If one of you happened to lag while loading a new area, same thing. Even if you have a higher speed than the other person, you could be moving slower simply because of lag.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    vagrant0 wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that flight speed works off base speed. Meaning that since different classes move at different speeds, they will fly faster or slower than other classes.

In otherwords, 6.0 m/s character speed + 0.5 m/s fly speed = 6.5 m/s total speed.

For venos and barbs, they get speed buffs that increase their base speed, allowing for a much higher fly speed. level 86+ barb/veno with +3.0 fly mount can even go faster than a 10.0 m/s riding mount.

This is wrong. While the ground speeds are different, the base flying speed for all classes is a constant 5.0m/s
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited June 2009

This is false as there is a maxium hieght and don't have a faster flying speed.BMs have s speed boost and that doesn't mean they can fly faster to be honest though I would say elfs fly the fastest for some reason.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Dreadmaul - Heavens Tear
    Dreadmaul - Heavens Tear Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    This is false as there is a maxium hieght and don't have a faster flying speed.BMs have s speed boost and that doesn't mean they can fly faster to be honest though I would say elfs fly the fastest for some reason.

elves fly faster cuz of flight mastery... but swim slowest...
  • Horseman - Sanctuary
    Horseman - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Flight Mastery doesnt affect Boutique Wings however ...
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    This is wrong. While the ground speeds are different, the base flying speed for all classes is a constant 5.0m/s

Check again. Speed buffs like summer spirit, or true form do make you fly faster. The BM buff is only a short duration boost that doesn't seem to get factored in, same as speed drugs.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Check again. Speed buffs like summer spirit, or true form do make you fly faster. The BM buff is only a short duration boost that doesn't seem to get factored in, same as speed drugs.

Then how come I was able to beat a Veno on the best mount they have for flying with Daedulas wings?I wasn't hasting at the time either.Those buffs are not effected in the air only on the ground.I seem to swim just as fast as my Veno.I still say your statement is false.Elf should be the fastest anyway but that would effect TW.
  • Phenoix - Heavens Tear
    edited June 2009
    Retested it to day with my friend .. Seems it happens to noth of us.. Not sure what causes it but we followed each other from 1 side of map tother just testing it and it seems to make 1 of us fast alot at times..Is not only me it does this way..
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited June 2009

Flying mounts don't have a base speed, their speed is based on your land speed. If you have +/.xx speed boost on your gear, you will fly with that bonus plus your flying mount +3m/s (or whatever).

As an archer, Wings does give you a flying speed bonus... I've raced WQ spots before archers always win if they're buffed... I can watch them pull ahead of me.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Flying mounts don't have a base speed, their speed is based on your land speed. If you have +/.xx speed boost on your gear, you will fly with that bonus plus your flying mount +3m/s (or whatever).

As an archer, Wings does give you a flying speed bonus... I've raced WQ spots before archers always win if they're buffed... I can watch them pull ahead of me.
    This doesn't have anything to do with boosting your speed speeds are set as they are.There is nothing that sets and Elf speed based on land and at lvl 1 it is slow unless we get higher up.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    No, Summer Sprint doesn't make you fly faster. I've sat there with a stopwatch and timed runs between two points flying my veno with and without Summer Sprint. The times were the same, and (with the level 30 quest manta) slower than running with Summer Sprint.

Elves have flight mastery, which boosts their speed with their newbie wings. Clerics (slowest running class) are stuck in the perverse situation where their flying speed is faster than their running speed.

Asterelle is correct. Flying mounts all have a base 5.0 m/s speed, and are only affected by the + of your mount and whether you're in accelerated mode.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009

Elves have flight mastery, which boosts their speed with their newbie wings. Clerics (slowest running class) are stuck in the perverse situation where their flying speed is faster than their running speed.

That is only Natural wings though and I am able to keep up with most in a squad by running.
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2009

As are mages.

MystiMonk: No, it's any wings. A cleric's base move speed on ground is slower than the base fly speed, so given there are no -speed wings out there, it doesn't matter which wings they use.
    Unless your comment related to the flight mastery only affecting the starter wings, and you felt the need to restate it in a manner sounding like you were correcting it, despite it having already been mentioned in the post you quoted.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    jemima wrote: »
    As are mages.

MystiMonk: No, it's any wings. A cleric's base move speed on ground is slower than the base fly speed, so given there are no -speed wings out there, it doesn't matter which wings they use.
    Unless your comment related to the flight mastery only affecting the starter wings, and you felt the need to restate it in a manner sounding like you were correcting it, despite it having already been mentioned in the post you quoted.

It is what I said in my last post and can mages(Wizards)fly from lvl 1.