Selling/Trading Factions? Why?!

Options
calea
calea Posts: 4 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
Can someone explain to me why people sell off factions or trade them for coins/mounts/items? I see this at least once or twice a week on Sanctuary, and, a faction leader myself, I'm honestly appalled at the lack of....humanity, I guess, from these leaders. They are basically selling a group of people - people who are supposed to be friends who they've bonded with and brought together....only to just give them away without second thought to the highest random bidder off the street with some shiny pixels.

And I'm not just talking about inactive factions. Oh no. I've spoken with these so-called leaders, talked to them....one today had dozens of active members. I've offered mergers with their faction, to give their faction members a good home - only to be turned down with excuses like "I'd rather have the money/item" - or better: "I need the cash cause I'm going to a high level guild"

Half the time, I wonder if their faction members would seriously agree to being sold off for the latest trend in mount, or 200k in coins. A change in leadership, I'm sure.....being traded so their former leader can look pro, no.

Why even bother making a faction if you don't intend to keep it or if you intend to move on once the next 1337 faction offers you a place? If you get in over your head, actually look for someone who can take your place, don't just give it away to some random player cause you need the coins.

If you're going to start a faction, make sure your committed to it, because once you've started it, you're no longer dealing with a fantasy world of pretty pixels that you can just shut off at the end of the day - you're dealing with real people, with real emotions and real needs.
Post edited by calea on

Comments

• volst
    volst Posts: 180
    edited June 2009
    Options
    lolwut

People can do whatever they want.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    how is a faction a sellable or tradeable thing? thats like.. a scam.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Not everyone who is in a faction is friends with everyone else.

Not everyone who is a faction leader is one by choice.

Not everyone who is a faction leader created the faction.

Throughout history titles have been bought and sold to the person willing to buy them, so this is nothing new.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xaikus - Dreamweaver
    Xaikus - Dreamweaver Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I agree with you, I saw a couple of people doing it today, I was disgusted, to say the least.
    NoQuarter: Friendly, helpful, and Mature. Recruiting players any level on Dreamweaver.
  • JohntheFlash - Lost City
    JohntheFlash - Lost City Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I have never heard of any kind of **** like this happening on LC. Then again I know only of several guilds and I am sure there are many.
  • HuntresPrime - Lost City
    HuntresPrime - Lost City Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Im selling my faction name.

Server - Lost City
    faction - lv 1
    faction name - Outcast.

after some insinuating circumstances i had to leave my old faction so i had a friend hop on his computer log onto my alt. and i made a 2 player factionxD

its funny cause ive had people from RQ say they gunna KOS my faction.. i just giggle and walk away... (panda is that d*mn attractive i guess)

any way starting bid is 200k
  • Aesprika - Sanctuary
    Aesprika - Sanctuary Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Its their life, let them do what they want. Its not they're selling YOUR faction.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    calea wrote: »
    If you're going to start a faction, make sure your committed to it, because once you've started it, you're no longer dealing with a fantasy world of pretty pixels that you can just shut off at the end of the day - you're dealing with real people, with real emotions and real needs.

It is nice to hear someone say this for a change. You get so many people making comments like, "It's just a game" or "It's just pixels" that they seem to totally ignore the fact that the people they are interacting with are real human beings that should be given just as much respect as the people they deal with in person every day. Sure a single player game is "just a game" but a multiplayer game involves the feelings of other people and is something else entirely.
  • HuntresPrime - Lost City
    HuntresPrime - Lost City Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    steps to sell a faction

weather it be empty or full of *holes there are many reasons just to get outta there. and if your gonna leave why not make a quick buck doing so?
    the world revolves around money. and you can rent love with it to. so really. is making money by any means really that bad... so long as its not illegal?

step 1. ldr invites buyer into faction.
    step 2. buyer pays seller (who is ldr) ether full or half now half later.
    step3. buyer gets promoted to ldr.
    setp4. ldr leaves faction (collects other half of payment now if need be)

and vula a faction name is sold to another player xD

btw. im going to join a nother faction soon. so my offer still stands.
    my faction name Outcast on Lost server for 200k
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Step 5 - Old leader starts new faction
    Step 6 - All the members leave old faction and join new one
    Step 7 - New leader crys on WC
  • XKIAx - Heavens Tear
    XKIAx - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Step 5 - Old leader starts new faction
    Step 6 - All the members leave old faction and join new one
    Step 7 - New leader crys on WC

Lol i agree. I sure as hell wont stay in a faction that's being sold. Neither would i join my old GL if he creates a new faction.
  • Alyyy - Sanctuary
    Alyyy - Sanctuary Posts: 3,165 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I agree with you, I saw a couple of people doing it today, I was disgusted, to say the least.

lol ur crazy why wouldnt u sell a faction ior trade it for a mount?
    Clerics are like cops...they always seem to be around.....until you actually need one b:surrender - DeadRaven
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Lol i agree. I sure as hell wont stay in a faction that's being sold. Neither would i join my old GL if he creates a new faction.

What if the point was to change the faction name?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Noggin - Dreamweaver
    Noggin - Dreamweaver Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options

I was thinking more along the lines of a scam. Yes I'll sell you my 200 member guild for 30 million. Be difficult to keep quiet though and the rewards when shared amongst the guild wouldn't actually be that high. Impressive sting if you could pull it off mind you.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Simple fact: It costs money to make a faction and not everyone is picky about the faction name.
    If a faction name you find nice is for sale for less than the cost of making your own go for it. I believe all these transactions are just for a name used by a dead faction.
    There is no way to expect active members to be bought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    It only costs 100k to make a faction... would someone sell a faction for less than 100k?
  • Mr_jingle - Sanctuary
    Mr_jingle - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Ok, what's the point in buying a faction from someone else when there's always a risk to be scammed? You have to either pay the one selling it first or have him give you leadership before you pay him. If you pay him first, he can just simply ignore you for rest of the day and never let you have the faction.

I can see why people would want to do sell factions. If you are the only one left in a faction that is level 2 or 3, you can't transfer to a different faction or "leave" your faction until you find a new person to take over leadership. That's the only reason I can see behind selling/trading factions. Other than that, you can still be scammed.