Territorial War: Suggestions to maintain it

Lunarius - Lost City
Lunarius - Lost City Posts: 4 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Suggestion Box
I see one flaw in PWI is that the whole map will be dominated by 1 or 2 guilds eventually. This destroys and remove territorial war from PWI, which is a major feature that distinguish this MMORPG from the others. And blah blah blah.. Im sure everyone knows what Im talking about.

Here's what already suggested:
-Refreshing the map: Flawed again, because the powerhouse can still take those territories again.
-Limit the number of lands a guild can own to say, 5: The map will still be owned by a few powerhouses that are systematically restricted to attack the other guilds and weaker guilds cannot attack because they are too powerful.

Here are 2 suggestions I came up with:

1: Decreasing player limit allowed to enter territorial war for every land the guild owns
For example, a guild with 1 land are allowed 80 people in TW, while a guild with 5 lands are allowed like 40 people entering TW.

2: Each player in the guild are allowed to enter TW for that week once only
-Guild leaders have to strategise ways to deploy their people for attack or defence against multiple attack.
-Everyone in the guild stand a chance to participate, instead of sending the strongest 80 people online. (If there are 2 attackers, then your guild will try as best to send 160 people, with 80 for each, instead of sending the best 80 to go for both, while the others just make up the number for the guild to look big.)

These are some sort of handicapped match, so that the weaker guilds have better chance of success in defending or attacking. This can only happen if of course they form an alliance with another guild(s) to attack them to take advantage of this handicap. Noob guilds still cannot win a top guild by attacking alone because they are still fighting 80 vs 80. But if they attack with 2 to 3 others, it would probably be 80 vs 35-55.

Guilds that have been eliminated from the map has a chance to make a comeback instead of merging into another land-owning guild.

Guilds which know that they are not too strong themselves would not over-expand as it will put their guild in risk. The more lands u have, the harder it is to maintain them, instead of becoming even richer and stronger with more lands u have, which in turns make it even harder for others to challenge them. So for example, CQ can only maintain to a max of 5 lands, because if they divide their people out, they are only capable of defending against 5 attacks. GZ probably 3 lands. RQ 3 lands and so on... So in the end, the number of land a guild owns truely represent the strength of the guild, instead of CQ taking the whole map, and the 2nd strongest guild gets 0 land.

Some people may say, "then the current guild that already own most part of the map would have wasted their efforts trying to do that" In my opinion, its not really unfair. The current powerhouse has already leeched lots of salary by now, and by the time if this system is (ever) implemented, so I think this is fair enough. It is also kind of unfair for a guild to own the whole map and keep leeching the large sum of money every week and and become so rich they can buy anything they want just by being present in the guild. And become so rich that they can easily spoil the market by being willing to pay 200k a gold.

Some people may argue again, "but the problem now is, weaker guilds refuse to team up against powerhouses". This situation occurs because with the current TW system, even if 10+ guilds attack a powerhouse at the same time, they still can defend against them. Because ultimately, the powerhouses are still sending their top 80 against every single guilds that attack them. RageQuit once had this situation before. They manage to defend against all of the non-factors, only losing one land to another powerhouse.

Some say again, "There's no logic, cuz there's no handicap in real war". How about u look at it in another way instead of handicap angle. In real war, some troops are send to attack another land, and some are kept for defence. If there are many attackers, I would have to distribute my forces. My 2nd suggestion would have applied this.

Maybe to encourage them to think of strategies to expand their land is to increase TW rewards, in terms of coins or in terms of items. With more efforts in maintaining their land, I think these guilds would truely deserve better rewards at the end of the day
Post edited by Lunarius - Lost City on

Comments

• Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well here's my idea <.<.. Might make Town War a bit more interesting also...
    I was thinking to improve Town War and make it more stragetic in fighting by changing Town War slightly.

P.S. Just ignore Town War and make it Territory War lol... I keep thinking about another game, but these changes are what I suggest for this game.

1. The Capital

The first major change is that every guild who controls at least 1 land can have a Capital set at any land they choose, provide they don't already have a captial.

The Captial gives the bonus of: 10% all attack, 10% HP, and 30% all defense to all guild member who attack or defend from the Captial square.

The Captial may only be moved once in a week or so, to prevent guild rush abuses of it. You can choose to move your Capital to any land you choose that is controlled by your guild.

However, each square that is further from the Captial will start to lose stats for the guild. The changes are not permanent, and only apply to TW. These bonuses only apply to the guild controlling the land.

At Captial +10% attack, +10% HP, +30% P-def/M-def
    1 Land away +10% P-def/M-def
    2 Land away -10% attack, -10% P-def/M-def
    3 Land away -20% attack, -20% P-def/M-def
    4 Land away+ - 30% attack, - 30% P-def/M-def

*These bonus are increased and decreased based on non-buff stats or base stats with all equips on.

Any land that is greater than 4 lands away from the Captial suffer a penalty of -30% attack/defense for the guild controlling that area. This is balance out and give many guild the opportunity to conquer lands. Since big land controlling guilds will have trouble conquering smaller guilds when attacking their Capital

2. Land Terrain Bonus

I suggest that each land should have specific bonuses that are different for each map. These bonus all stack with Captial bonuses

Like Archesaur, because it's a big walled city, will always provide the defending player with 10% P-def/M-def, that bonus can be stacked with Captial bonuses to give 40% to all def or to reduce the penalty of being too far from the captial to only -20% all def

Bonuses I want to suggest

Elemental Plains: All factions fighting over this land received an elemental damage bonus of 20% and the same elemental resist is reduced for all players by 20%. Ex) Metal area: Metal damage +20%, Metal Resist -20%

Warring Plains: All offensive factions that fight for this land gain 10% attack, All defensive factions fighting for this land lose -10% all def. Land that should be intensely competed, but hard to hold. They should be slightly valuable.

Guardian Peaks: All defensive factions that defend this land gain 10% defense.

Elite Squad Areas: Max 2 Squads of each guild can be entered into this area. So max of 12 vs 12 area. Based on the average level of the faction, HP is slightly increased for lower level squads. Basically an area that can be easily defended by an elite squad that is well organized. Or easily attacked by an elite squad. Skill level and gear matters a lot in these areas.

Ultima Land: Make one single piece of land extremely vaulable to give double revuene or something. This land will give the occupying guild 10% defense, 10% attack, and 10% HP. Extremely hard to take down, but also extremely rewarding. This can stack with Captial bonuses also. Making it the hardest land to conquer. The strongest guild should dominate this land.

3. Town War Equips

Basically a system that could be implemented to give special TW only equips to the victor of the Town War

A special NPC called "Town War Blacksmith/Town War Tailor...etc" can be put in place to trade special "Town War Badges" for special equip that CAN ONLY BE used in Town War

Higher level equips will cost more badges and lower level equips will cost less badges.

How to earn badges.

Victory in a land: Having difficult victories in a land will grant all members of that guild a "Town War Badge"**, the guild leader will also receive an additional special "Hero Badge"** for victory in a town.

Defeating a Captial: Defeating a captial will grant the guild 3 times the bonus that they will usually gain by defeating a regular land. The victor that defeats a captial of a land will gain 3 "Town War Badges"** and the guild leader will gain an additional 3 "Hero Badges"** for the victory.

Defeating defensive lands or Ultima Land: Any land that favors the defensive faction but the offensive faction has actually managed to take it down will have an increased chances for badges to drop these maps.

Repel attacks at Offensive Lands: Any land that favors the offensive faction but the defensive faction manages to defend the land will have an increased drop rate of "Town War Badges" and "Hero's Badge"

**However, if the defending team does not put up a good fight (like one team totally dominating over another), chances of badge drop will be greatly lowered. Chance to drop a badge is increased for for a close fight (the kill count for each guild is extremely close)

The "Town War Badge" can be traded for special equipments ranging from low level 40 equips to high level 150 equips. The higher the level, the more badges required.

The "Hero's Badge" can be traded for legendary level equipments starting from level 100 to level 150 equips. These equipment are extremely powerful and it should be in the guild leader's best interest to see who will best fit to be given the equipment. This equipment can be only be given to guild members and it is bound when equipped.

All items from "Town War Badges" and "Hero's Badges" are bound when equipped. Though Hero's Badge items may not be traded to non-guild members (guild members who are less than 100 hrs of playtime). All
    equips from TW will give no stats when currently not in Town War.
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Ebrithiill - Lost City
    Ebrithiill - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I dont like suggestion 1 or 2 mainly because it unfairly disenfranchise bigger guilds so smaller guilds would have a better chance. Also, to make it so they ar limited to 1tw a week is just unfair because no one will be able to maintain their territory. To me the only way to make TW more sucessful is to make it in a way that guilds ar unable to maintain such vast amount of lands. Solution....create random, massive wraith attks to challenge guilds for their lands. This idea is further explained in suggestion "A Small Solution"
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    For a wraith attack, just have 80+ Harpy Wraiths attack the land in the TW instance at once.

Lets see any guild defend against that.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Lunarius - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    I like Zephyrx's idea, but its going to take a very very long time if the developers team ever going to make it happen. Too much coding to do :P

As for wraiths attack, I think other people has already suggested that in other TW post. But IMO, the developers are trying to make TW more of a PvP instead of PvE, except if its an unoccupied land. And this wraith attack, only the best guild would succeed. So what I forsee is (Just an example :P) Guardianz losing their land to wraiths and Conqueror succeed in defending their land against wraiths. Eventually the map still held by Conqueror.
    I dont like suggestion 1 or 2 mainly because it unfairly disenfranchise bigger guilds so smaller guilds would have a better chance.

It doesn't really unfairly disenfranchise them. Because u see, bigger guilds get more money from territorial rewards (which they can increase if my suggestion is ever gonna get implemented). In fact, the current system is disenfranchise a potentially rival guild which can actually compete, but lose out because the current powerhouse are drawing about 380M a week.
    Also, to make it so they ar limited to 1tw a week is just unfair because no one will be able to maintain their territory.

Not really. They can still maintain their territory, just harder if they got more lands. Stronger guild still can defeat non-factor guild full of 4x by sending around 5 to 10 8-9x to every land
  • Inias - Heavens Tear
    Inias - Heavens Tear Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    the idea of a capital is ea very good idea

altho an easier solution i read is

make more territory's
    or
    more TW's at same time (not max 3 at same time )
    thanks to forsaken for this awesome sig b:victory[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TameThat - Sanctuary
    TameThat - Sanctuary Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Maybe a limit of territory that a faction can own ? Something around 1/3 of the map is already enough to pay all your member that come to TW 1 million each week.
    ~~~ My Guides ~~~

Mystical Tome (h ttp://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=250862)
    AOE Grinding with Venomancer (h ttp://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Guide_to_AOE_Grinding_With_Venomancer)
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    you know what destroys tw?

when ppl **** and complain about how a faction is too strong
    and instead of trying to make a faction that can compete
    against them
    they just QQ

no faction is unbeatable.
  • kyothegreat
    kyothegreat Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Maybe a limit of territory that a faction can own ? Something around 1/3 of the map is already enough to pay all your member that come to TW 1 million each week.

This isnt really gonna work. This way the TW map will be held by 3 factions. In the end, after the land is divided to 3, there will be no more TW.
    against them
    they just QQ

no faction is unbeatable.

Its near impossible to make a new faction that can really compete with the current powerhouse. Why? Because they got most of the top levels in the game. High level players arent easy to come by. It takes months to produce one 8x. Unless u really got a good bunch of 8x as your friend who are willing to part their 1 million coins every week to join ur guild, you can never form a guild to match up with them.
    Also, the fact that they drew so much salary every week already disadvantages your competition against them.
    If you gonna say, "come on, then go level up and challenge them", think of the fact that as you are leveling, they are also leveling. And they level faster cuz they got more money. And at guild level, those who reach the level to make entrance to the land-owning guild, will leave your guild to join them, so they can draw salary.
    Instead of QQ, how about you make a new suggestion
  • Budika - Sanctuary
    Budika - Sanctuary Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Yes kyothegreat has said it correctly. The TW system is broken... simply because 200-600 people can enjoy the TW $ / experience and everyone else is screwed.

Here's a different way to make it work. New coin system.. These coins can only be used in TW's all TW require these coins to buy stuff in TW and in territory's your faction owns from a special NPC for potions amour repairs etc. Game coins can be turned into TW coins but not reverse. Land pays TW coins only.

This would remove the Substantial differences between massive landed guilds vs the strong factions who own small amounts of land or none at all.
    against them
    they just QQ
    this QQ thing is really annoying... why not just say whine/ or cry or use the b:cry... But back on topic it's impossible to make a faction that can compete w/o spending lot's of RL cash then once they people are big enough to compete they're gonna want to join the landed guilds for the pay off on lands. Meanwhile the people who have everything are bored because no TW and only grinding.
  • Ebrithiill - Lost City
    Ebrithiill - Lost City Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I like Zephyrx's idea :)
  • _makina_ - Sanctuary
    _makina_ - Sanctuary Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Zephyrx was your idea based off another game or did you make that up urself?
  • Sumerisle - Dreamweaver
    Sumerisle - Dreamweaver Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Another idea for TW.

Allied factions can aid each other in TWs. This would require that the game recognises alliances between factions as official and it has to be declared server-wide.

The faction that pays the monies to attack will get control of the land and the leader can agree to pay the allied faction leader a cut of the land every week (again, this can be official and can be negotiated). The same goes for TW defence.

I think this will add a whole new dimension to TW and intra-faction politics which will make the game more fun.

There are, however, certain drawbacks which need to be settled. The main one being bigger factions can create alliances with all the smaller factions and take over the whole map without opposition.

This idea just came to me while reading this thread so I thought I'd just share it. Comments or thoughts please?
    Believe, level 2 Dreamweaver faction recruiting all classes. PM me in-game or drop me a message for more info!
  • Lunarius - Lost City
    edited June 2009
    Sumerisle's idea can add to the fun to TW. But it isnt really helping to solve the one-guild-own-all flaw in the game. Also, I dont think the bigger faction will want alliance with non-factor. Why share the money to smaller guild, if u can get all by urself?
    As for Zephyr's idea, its really good, but it seriously takes too much work for the developers to ever get it done.
    I don't know if whatever idea we suggested are ever taken into consideration. This TW flaw is seriously ruining the game, but they are not doing anything about it. I heard of people who switched server just so they can take part in TW again. And now that even the new servers are facing such problem, people might just leave the game. TW is one of the feature that make this game stand out from the rest. Without it, the already-screwed pk element of the game will really be gone. I hope developers put in more effort into this, instead of simply refreshing the map, or worse, for PW International- doing nothing at all.