What level does Wizard become fun?

Prophylactic - Harshlands
Prophylactic - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
So I'm pretty new to the game, my first character was this wizard. She's level 22 now and I end up dying quite a bit, it's pretty frustrating. Hardly ever will potions save me and I use the largest ones I can for my level.

I did my research before I started and I play with a LA set up, I've leveled all the appropriate skills and I don't understand why I end up getting killed so much. I haven't logged in in 2 days now out of sheer hatred for losing 5% 5-6 times while leveling. Could someone give me a bit of foresight and let me know that this will get better?

Or should I go ahead and try another class?
Post edited by Prophylactic - Harshlands on

Comments

• Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    So I'm pretty new to the game, my first character was this wizard. She's level 22 now and I end up dying quite a bit, it's pretty frustrating. Hardly ever will potions save me and I use the largest ones I can for my level.

I did my research before I started and I play with a LA set up, I've leveled all the appropriate skills and I don't understand why I end up getting killed so much. I haven't logged in in 2 days now out of sheer hatred for losing 5% 5-6 times while leveling. Could someone give me a bit of foresight and let me know that this will get better?

Or should I go ahead and try another class?

If you die that much re-roll. Your not playing a wiz right.
  • Prophylactic - Harshlands
    edited May 2009

Explain to me how to stay alive whenever I end up with more then 1 mob on me. This is not a malicious reply either, I honestly would like to know.
  • Valdea - Dreamweaver
    Valdea - Dreamweaver Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't understand the concept of light armor magic classes. I would rebuild your wizard as an arcane robe build. It really cuts your damage to use light armor.

Mage classes aren't meant to handle more than one mob is your problem. I would say the key to surviving with any squishy class (cleric, wiz, robe veno) is to take on only one mob at a time, any more and we're screwed.
    edited May 2009
    I don't understand the concept of light armor magic classes. I would rebuild your wizard as an arcane robe build. It really cuts your damage to use light armor.

Mage classes aren't meant to handle more than one mob is your problem. I would say the key to surviving with any squishy class (cleric, wiz, robe veno) is to take on only one mob at a time, any more and we're screwed.

I leveled an arcane wizard to level 15, he dies really really fast. Much faster then the LA wizard. As well as that I play on a PVP server and plan on PVPing if I don't uninstall the game before then. But thank you for the reply.
  • Valdea - Dreamweaver
    Valdea - Dreamweaver Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Oh, I failed to notice you were on a PvP server. My bad. Yeah then LA is best for you. ^^;
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    I leveled an arcane wizard to level 15, he dies really really fast. Much faster then the LA wizard. As well as that I play on a PVP server and plan on PVPing if I don't uninstall the game before then. But thank you for the reply.

The whole point of a wizard is to not get hit. So in pve, your armor choice is pointless as far as defense is concerned. However, you are at a level where you don't have your knockback, don't have force of will yet. So the only other option to what your doing, sitting there and taking hits and dying, is to kite. Kite til you get phoenix, then no more kiting required. Higher level you get, faster things die. Eventually you get to the point where kiting/phoenix/fow aren't required because you do so much damage.

Use distance shrink if you have to, don't stand there and get rocked.
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009

We can handle plenty of mobs, the trick is to not get hit. I'd kill for 1 more aoe to put in rotation with hailstorm and phoenix though, QQ.
  • Tiaque - Sanctuary
    Tiaque - Sanctuary Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited May 2009

That's a little harsh...*cough* However...

My very first character ever was a wizard (this is way back in MY), however, even restarting over in PWI didn't change the fact that the hardest point I ever had in my leveling was in the range you are now - about 20-30. Perhaps it was because of the mobs, perhaps it was because of the sheer amount of competition to kill things, but whatever it was, I still don't know

Way back when, at your level, I was still getting used to kiting things, still trying to figure out what skills to use in what order. I didn't die quite as often as you, but that might be because I duo'ed with a BM and he would jump in and save my squishy **** whenever I got in over my head. It honestly gets much, much, much easier for us when we get Will of the Phoenix, which is our one and only knockback skill.

If you've completed the following list...

Kiting properly
    Good knowledge of skills, and what to use when
    Stats allocated neatly (at least 3 mag per level)
    Armor updated to current level
    Using FB19 weapon or better

...then at your level, you should not be having so much trouble. If you still are, perhaps wizard isn't best for you. There's no shame in admitting that - it's considered to be one of the hardest classes to master. If you want to continue playing a magic based class, I suggest a venomancer to start off with (if you're having trouble with wiz, cleric's probably not the best choice until you've played the game a little longer, however, that's for you to decide). If you want to change pace, perhaps a BM or Barbarian.

Remember always that this game is for fun - if you can't log on cause you despise your character, you aren't having fun, now are you?

Good luck in however things work out.
    "In the end, its not about LA vs robe - which is better? Its about knowing your character and how to play it." ~Blosque, Sanctuary

Director of Tsunami
    Contact me in-game if you're looking for a new home!

Ayjia (5x veno), Celys (4x full support cleric), Eirel (3x claw blademaster)
    edited May 2009
    That's a little harsh...*cough* However...

My very first character ever was a wizard....

Thanks for this reply, I'm going to put some thought into starting a new class or just sticking with this until 30 to see how it goes. Thanks again.
  • Tiaque - Sanctuary
    Tiaque - Sanctuary Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Good luck :)
    "In the end, its not about LA vs robe - which is better? Its about knowing your character and how to play it." ~Blosque, Sanctuary

Director of Tsunami
    Contact me in-game if you're looking for a new home!

Ayjia (5x veno), Celys (4x full support cleric), Eirel (3x claw blademaster)
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Since it sounds like you know what you're doing Armor/Skill wise, here are some tips for Playing the wizard class.

1.) Stay away from Mobs that do Group Aggro.
    The Taurocs and other Minotaur types after 2x love to do this. Watch how mobs move together - if two are always near each other and seem to start moving together, or always move back together, pick a different target. If you accidentally get them both, RUN. (Pop a Moon Chaser Powder, you can make it at the Apothecary)

2.) Have your apothecary skills at level 1, at the very least.
    Moon Chaser (+Speed) and Life Powder (HP regen boost) are your friends. Pop a Life Powder before going after the mobs that are most dangerous to you. It adds +50 HP/second for 10 minutes, which should actually make you fairly invincible 1v1 on mobs near your level, unless they stack Poison on you. Then it will start eating your bar, but Meditate until it goes away and you'll be fine. It shouldn't take you below 50%, unless you go charging into the next mob before you've lost the poison debuff.

Life Powder is also a big help if you suddenly get mobbed by multiple monsters - drag the icon into your quickbar so you can left click it quickly. It works better if you pop it BEFORE you get hit, but it can save your life if you find yourself in a tight situation. So can the Moon Chaser, pop that when you need to make a quick getaway.

3.) Stack the healing medicines.
    Red health potions and pink/purple HP+MP potions can be triggered together. You can also add a Chaos Powder (instant +2,000 HP) *or* a Life Powder (+50 HP/sec for 10 minutes) on top of those. These will help you keep your health bar from tanking.

Note that the Cooldown for Life Powder and Moon Chaser are TIED TOGETHER. Use one and you have to wait to use the other. Chaos Powder might be tied into the cooldown too - I'm not sure since I find it a waste at the moment when my HP bar has barely topped 1k XD

4.) Bring a friend.
    Have a Barbarian or Blademaster take point on harder quests. Let them keep the aggro so that you don't take damage. Make sure you let them get a big hit or two in first - about 1/8-1/6 of the mob's HP bar should be gone before you start attacking it. Otherwise you'll steal the aggro and get smushed.

*edit* forgot one!

5.) Kiting is good for you.
    When you're alone against a mob that likes to eat your HP a little too fast, zoom out your camera and get a good overhead view. Make sure you know where clear paths are - if other people have been grinding in the area, be aware that mobs might respawn in those tempting empty spots! You will want to attack the mob, then click a spot to move away from it - make it roughly the range of one of your attack spells. When you're getting close to the spot, if the mob is still a good distance away, throw another attack, move away, attack, and repeat until it is dead. A good lead-in to attack the mob would be your longest-channeling spell that hits hard. Then follow up with Gush for the chance to slow it down. As you move away, use your quickest spells. While you're casting it will close the gap but if you do this right you should kill it in about 3-4 hits without it being able to touch you (unless it's an archer type :p). Just don't try it with Fast mobs >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • sillyfoo
    sillyfoo Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for this reply, I'm going to put some thought into starting a new class or just sticking with this until 30 to see how it goes. Thanks again.

Do you know how to kite? Gush, run back pressing "s" button, gush, press "s", repeat till mob is dead and usually u wont be hit this will work well for u until u get ur knockback skill and force of will. I started out light armor on my wiz as well from lvl 1-30 then restated to arcane pure build im currently a lvl 74 on my wiz. At first its a lil frustrating dieing so much but im pretty happy with my wiz and i've learned how to play better. Find some class u can enjoy playing eitherway since what matters is that u enjoy urself. I myself started as a archer i switched since i wanted to be more unique and still see big numbers when i hit something.
  • Kannone - Heavens Tear
    Kannone - Heavens Tear Posts: 907 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    LA is not easy to level with, but don't give up!

Answer to your question: lvl 29 with blink (distance shrink) was when this class started to really be awesome.

With LA you're set for PvP, but you're gonna have to work double time in PvE. I suggest carrying two sets of gear: Arcane to level with (more important when mobs start doing all M.Dmg), and LA to PvP with (see Pandora's PvP guide).

Don't give up, you can do it; and with a wiz you can do it fast... stupid fast.
  • Mizorie - Lost City
    Mizorie - Lost City Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Eh La isn't really ment for PvE, it does have its uses tho in PvE, but it really shines in PvP. You gimp yourself in PvE to give yourself and edge in PVP.

lol didn't see the above post >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dalamaar: Mizorie you have no soul.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    from what ive seen, 79+ when you get undine strike, you can do some scary damage on bosses, ive seen some 25k glacials on bosses without sparks :O.

when you get your AOEs you can AOE level too, like dragon breath, pretty cool move :P

yeah wizards are weak when they get hit, but what magic class isnt? i take 1k-1.4 in duels/pvp from BMs ):< thats what vit is for!
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    yeah wizards are weak when they get hit, but what magic class isnt? i take 1k-1.4 in duels/pvp from BMs ):< thats what vit is for!
    Or you can go LA and watch every BM hitting 400-600's on you before you **** them
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.
  • Nakhimov - Lost City
    Nakhimov - Lost City Posts: 1,829 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Mage doesn't get really fun until you can PK with it, or until you can do massive damage. Somewhere around lat 5x is about right.
    Bladestorm lets you spin around like a carnival ride and do damage. Not using it is almost like having a move called Confetti Rocket Power Leap and saving it for "emergencies"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nakhimov the Kingslayer of Kil'Jaeden's <Criminal Scum>
    wowprogress.com/guild/us/kil-jaeden/Criminal+Scum
  • Feiric - Harshlands
    Feiric - Harshlands Posts: 240 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Lot of good advice in this forum. I have to say that this class is probably the most rewarding class I've played in any MMORPG. Not sure why. I think it's the rarity of the class and the cool abilities you have to work for. I'm only 40 right now, so I know I don't quite have the room to talk yet, but its been that way so far. The game has been a blast after lvl 29 when you get blink and dragon's breath. Don't really need those skills so much yet, but I use them just for fun and variety.

I'd say if you're still questioning your choice in class, wait it out at least until after fb29 and see what you think then. You've already gone this far, so it's a reasonable goal. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Or you can go LA and watch every BM hitting 400-600's on you before you **** them
    or kiting him is fun :P.
    im not a fan of taking hits
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    wow lareish is so knowledgeable o_0
    wizard got fun around lvl 25 when i was 3 shotting everything (except mag resist, RUN AWAY FROM MAG RESIST b:shocked)
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Drmelvin - Heavens Tear
    Drmelvin - Heavens Tear Posts: 258 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wizard becomes alot easier once you do get the pushback and once you learn to kite its even easier. I found with my wizard (my first char) that it was harder in the level 20-30s because thats when you notice that everything does start to aggro you and then you just have to learn to deal with it and plan to not get hit. Just keep at it and figure out how you can get around dying
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'll post a little bit before bed e.e

The first 28 levels are quite hard and of course you'll feel weak, underpowered etc. because you lack the control skills that allow you to kite effectively.

At level 9 you get access to the elemental barriers, the only one you should be concerned about is Stone barrier, this provides a small amount resistance against physical attacks(At higher levels you can effectively have x2 defence, and if you go demon x2.5!) which is crucial for prolonging your stay in the land of the living.

At level 19 you get Divine Pyrogram, pyrogram on steroids! This will become your opener for the next 20 levels and is your first real DD skill. A word of warning, only use this as an opening skill against a monster that hasn't noticed you(The 4 second cast/channel time can get you killed at low levels).

At level 29 you get access to Distance Shrink(Sometimes refered to as Blink), now you can gush, shrink and finish off mobs. This skill is a real life saver, especially when you get the cooldown to 10 seconds, just mind you don't accidently Shrink into a second mob as you still lack the skills to fight multiple mobs. Another skill you recieve is Dragon's Breath, an aoe that provides pretty crappy damage at low levels but hits hard later on.

At level 39, the road has been long and hard but now it pays off. You get the knockback skill Will of the Phoenix and the Nuke, Sandstorm. Sandstorm is your opener on every mob other than Earth/Metal(possibly Wood) monsters, it will far outdamage DP at higher levels. Will of the phoenix(as well as having a pretty animation) provides you with the ability to avoid damage completely on melee monsters, whenever they get close just Push them, shrink, coup detat(This skill also outdamages pyrogram and has a very short cast time).

Level 49, here you get the last control skill(and arguably the best), Force of Will. This move seals the opponent(Which has the bizzare effect of making mobs flee from you for a few seconds). The cast time, instant. The effect, excellent, cancels channeling, interrupts attack animations, makes the monster run away. From level 55ish onwards 90% of mobs are magical and Phoenix becomes kinda obselete since 9 times out of 10 it gets you hit, force of will prevents this.

Finally, level 60. By now you should be holding an ancient arbor which will ramp up your damage. You also have access to essential Sutra and Adv. Spark, both of which will get you a free kill.

Witch is now sleepy. ZZZzzz.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • Keliahar - Sanctuary
    Keliahar - Sanctuary Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Just wanted to add my two cents.

I enjoyed wizard from lvl 1 on. It was the first class I played and as this was the first mmorpg as well.. that tells you how much I knew at the beginning. Sure her stats are a little wonky now but it's still good decent fun... when I'm not bored from grinding.

Guess that's not the same for everyone though.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Don't give up, you can do it; and with a wiz you can do it fast... stupid fast.

roll a veno, we talk after :)

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AndromedaB - Sanctuary
    AndromedaB - Sanctuary Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    roll a veno, we talk after :)

b:cryb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • razorkiss
    razorkiss Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I started about a week ago and I am Wizard Lvl 33 now.
    Yeah I play A LOT! b:chuckle
    Anyway, my boyfriend is an 86 Barb and he told me if I am ever in a situation where I think for a second I can't handle it, to run away.
    It may not work for you, but it works for me.
    Good Luck to youb:bye
  • Jertor - Sanctuary
    Jertor - Sanctuary Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    most people get sick of a wiz before it gets fun so everyone says wiz sucks >.> ohh well i like it :P
  • JettaBugg - Heavens Tear
    JettaBugg - Heavens Tear Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Hi there.

Okay so I read about the first 9 posts. Everyone seems to have the same idea and all agree. My main is a veno. I started a Wizard not so recently. I say that b/c, yes she pi$$ed me off with her abundance of dying. I immediately started her with apoth skill without knowing that it will save me in the future. I recently discovered how much that helps. Of course I can't use the really good stuff I made until I hit 30. I think I'm about lvl 25 or 26.

I can't wait till 30. I can fly and be AFK en route. That is number one most annoying thing is the lack of speed. Veno and Wizard is a world of difference. Always dying, always getting hit, forgetting I don't have a pet.

That last one has killed me. As veno I hit once and let my pet get the rest. Then I just chat or stare off in la la land. I've died many-a-time b/c of that. :P

Make friends and join a good faction that will jump to your aid at anytime. I love Cleric buffs (duh) and Barb buffs. The faction I'm in, though small, always has some online.

On the off chance you don't have a cleric available orrrrrrrr you've been rez'd about a dozen times in the past 30 min get a charm.

I gave in and bought a really good HP charm. Those that don't need their MP and HP will give them to me or clerics. So that's very helpful. Since we are a small group of about 30 right now we give. No trading or buying. Someone is always in need of something and you'll have something you don't need and u can give.

I'm off topic. CHARMS! They took away the frustration. Now I look forward to playing my wizard. Now that I've finally got my veno caught up on quests.........................(don't let your quests go........my advice........so behind i just finished a lvl 25 quest..........I'm at 64.) Sheesh.
    Lately have had wizard kiting.
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    kite... kite... kite... kite... kite... its not that hard to play with. You just have to be ready at all times, makes it more interesting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]