Best Pet For...

Options
Ratched - Dreamweaver
Ratched - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
So I read http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=260362 but I cannot deduce which to use under the following limitations.
  • No Herc
  • No Nix
  • Non Rare
NOTE: You can count rares but take into account I cannot buy it so I'd have to find and time the tame.

Which pet would be the best for the following?
  • PvP
  • TW
  • Underwater

Lastly, I know it is possible to be a good veno without spending money in the boutique, but how much of a disadvantage does that put in not using a herc or nix.
Post edited by Ratched - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Rikka - Harshlands
    Rikka - Harshlands Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I think the Petite Sawfly is best for PvP. It's the best flying pet after a Nix, I believe.

I'm not sure about TW, I don't have much experience with that.

As for the underwater pet, perhaps taming an Undine won't be bad? Again, I don't have experience with this.
  • Lacrimosa - Harshlands
    Lacrimosa - Harshlands Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    For land PVP, you can get a scorpion, it's worth it. It's not very fast and it's a bit squishy, but it'll deal some hurt in areas where you cannot use a flying pet.

I guess the best for water pets would be the level 5-ish turtles near Broken Bridge Village. There aren't many water quests; there's a gap between the Dawn's Cry Isle quests and the level 7x ones near Fragrant Hills. So you may have to train it to catch up with you. Though, they can still tank things well above their level. Otherwise, grab the nearest tamable pet when you do your water quests. (But there aren't any 7x water pets.)

You can fair well without a hercules and phoenix. Personally, I think it depends on your playing style, but it doesn't hurt to have it them in your arsenal, even if you choose to get them at late levels.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    In air best is Petite Safly, you can catch it near Bamboo Village(near Plume city). Have starts lvl --> 8. With Flash ream is very good to pk, pvp but to killing mobs is good too. b:victory

As water pet is needed pet with abilities to tank mobs, so turtles on any lvl are best, with bash to steal agrro, have more hp and def, than atk. but lvling water mobs is uselles imo, because you won't have too many quests in water. I'm using now turtle lvl 51 on mobs lvl 76 and this's still great. b:laugh

As land pet.. most venos are using Volcanic Magmite as tank and for normal mobs, and this is great too. Have high attack, hp and def, but is very slow. Have just 6.4m/s b:surrender Oh, and is big too, many ppl saing that it's ugly. If you don't like it or want pet to pvp more, you should use Pavonine Serpent. Right, this have lower dmg than Scorpion on 2 lvl(forgot all name), but this have more speed m/s and have more dps (0.8 and Scorpion--> 0.6), going with Flash ream lvl 2 on start is nice too. It' have decent hp and def. P. def. and M. def are the same.

But you should just experiment with pets, which you like. ^_^
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • Ratched - Dreamweaver
    Ratched - Dreamweaver Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Currently I am using Eldergoth Marksman for PvE grinding/tanking. Though the Magmite is statistically better I prefer the ranged attack and the free Bash4. I may attempt to tame a Dodo Bear(forgive spelling error here).

How long would it take to level a Sawfly?

Which Tamable Pet has a good ATK stat and comes with a Flesh Ream higher than 2?

EDIT: Changed it to dodo
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I lvled my Safly from 8 to 70 by like 2 weeks, but I didn't play all the time.
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    lvling a pet from 1 to 70 is easy. I did it with my sawfly a month ago.
    May only take a couple days.

lvl 1 -25 = stand out side south arch where the 2x mobs all are grouped together

lvl 25 - 35 = move across the river from south arch to where there are spiders and such.

lvl 35 - 43 = Fly west out of Lost City to a certain cliff that has a dense spawn of 4x mobs. Dragon Wilderness.

lvl 43 - 55 = Go East of Kings Feast to the Sunkin mobs or whatever their names are.

lvl 55 - 62 = Kill Taurox Enthusiasts or whatever their names are. Just south of Ridge of the dreaming cloud.

lvl 62+ = you can start killing your lvl mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zetarana - Heavens Tear
    Zetarana - Heavens Tear Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I am new and I was wondering about this, before I spend a lot of time leveling a flyer...

Petite Sawfly Vs. Goldenwing Emperor

Which do you think is better and why?

Note: I have no plans to PvP/PK.

THX
    Zetarana - Arcane Veno
    Nephandus - Arcane Wizard
    Faction: Nocturne
  • Haga - Sanctuary
    Haga - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    If you don't like it or want pet to pvp more, you should use Pavonine Serpent. Right, this have lower dmg than Scorpion on 2 lvl(forgot all name), but this have more speed m/s and have more dps (0.8 and Scorpion--> 0.6), going with Flash ream lvl 2 on start is nice too. It' have decent hp and def. P. def. and M. def are the same.

Really?

Does anybody have that Serpent at lvl 40 and could maybe give us it's attack value?

I'm surprised, because according to the growth charts that can be seen here and here, the Serpent should have lower attack than an antelope and antelope has still lower dps than a scorpion ( at least at lvl 90 according to ecatomb)
  • david12345
    david12345 Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    To put it bluntly, you will suck as a veno without a nix or a herc.

For PVP, most high level players these days have very good gear and even with a nix it is sometimes tough to take them down, especially with the new genie skills. Sawfly will get ****, so will pretty much any other non legendary pet.

For TW, you will pretty much be ignored (by good factions, anyway) unless you have a nix.

Its actually very easy to get nix and herc without spending any real money on the game. It only takes about a month to farm 20m if you are serious about it. These days half the venos have a legendary pet, or so it seems. They are easy to find. This means if a squad wants a veno, they will ignore you unless you have a herc.

As for underwater, don't waste your time getting a low underwater pet and leveling it up. Underwater quests are very few and far in between, just tame a mob close to your level, do the quest, get rid of the pet. Rinse and repeat when another underwater quest comes along.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Best pvp land pet (outside of nix) would either be one of those small level 5 minkii, which have been reskilled with ripping bite, and whatever else you feel like using, or a kowlin at 60+. Both move pretty quick, aren't easy to spot (unlike scorpion) and deal fairly high damage while having decent health and defense. The minkii is also good for TW since you can send it into packs of people, use a bleed, then unsummon as soon as it hits. Often people don't know what hit them.

Sawfly is a good air pet for damage, goldwing has a bit more hp and defense, but lower damage, so tends to be a bit less potent considering how important those first few hits are.

Underwater, turtles are about as good as you're going to get till level 80. The downside is that there are quite a few large gaps in water spawn levels, making it rather difficult to keep one raised. Your best bet is to just tame whatever you can, nearest to your level for water quests, then at 80 tame a plumpfish. Although turtle has a bit more health and defense, it is larger, moves slower, and requires you to eventually upgrade/buy skills. Plumpfish is good enough to tank when fresh.
  • Bellamontage - Lost City
    Bellamontage - Lost City Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    ^ So far I never had the problem of being ignored in a squad and I don't have a nix or a herc, and have no real intention of getting one, although I never done TW.

The best fly pet as suggested is a petite sawfly, they aren't that hard to level, I got mine from 8 to 37 in pretty much a day. I tamed a higher fly pet to do a fly quest, and it was so squishy I had to do constant heal while it was attacking, but with my petite sawfly, I can attack and heal at the end with ease.

I have two pets at the moment - the petite sawfly and a Crystiline magnimite (I think that's what its called). They both are pretty good with mobs on a monster point of view.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nerd by Nature
  • Evb - Heavens Tear
    Evb - Heavens Tear Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I've not had a sawfly but I found the Elysium Fowl to be a sound backup pet to the Phoenix. Granted you have to wait until level 73, but it's an option.

I also really like the minkii idea. It's so small, no one would see it. I may have to get one and check it out.
    "I understand the logic. This logic isn't very useful when in use"

"Not many people look inside deer"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary
    Mamiko_mao - Sanctuary Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I've found, for the most part, that the lower the beginning level for certain pet archetype (Sawfly type, cactopod type, foxwing type, etc.) the stronger they tend to be when compared to a freshly tamed, equivalent level mob. The major drawback is the coin investment in getting its skills up to par. (200k-900k for a basic skill at Zoologist, +200k per skill level upgrade)

I caught a Petite Sawfly when I was level 17 (just got my Crystalline Magmite) and it's now 77. It seems to be vastly superior to other sawflies or flying pets in terms of damage dealt. It's still squishy though.

I say if you have the time, catch a low levelled pet and just level it up. Only exception to this is water pets, since they're really kinda limited-use. (And: Don't ever tame a water undine unless it's an Undine Supreme/Fin type undine. The spellcasting bipedal ones are all pretty crappy.)
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I am having a good time with my Foxwing as it has flesh ream and thunderbolt.I use this on land targets as well as air I am doing well with.I find it lvls faster than Sawfly which I still have in reverted back to egg.I would say the foxwing is uderestimated.I am on my manta while it attacks land targets and I use its thunderbolt a lot.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/1425
    Foxwing

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/1704
    Sawfly cousin

This is what I use as water pet.

http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/mob/1149
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.