Tabby under rated/under used?

Options
MntMan - Lost City
MntMan - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Venomancer
I'm just putting this out there, but what about the Tabby (rare kitten) as a pet? Here's my argument.

Pretty good at luring:

1) It is pretty quick. I think maxed level it is 7th fastest pet (per another thread that shows top 10 of each category).

2) It has decent HP

3) It comes with Slow skill (send with slow, unsummon and you can easily resummon tank pet before the mob makes it to you even without kiting a bit)

here's the kickers for it though

4) comes with flesh ream

5) Comes with magic and physical defense debuffs. x% for 6 seconds. Level 1 starts at 20%. (Can't remember exact names of skills)

So if you have a limited number of pets I would think the tabby might also serve double duty as

a) A pet to use against TT bosses. It doesn't have enough damage to pull aggro from tank so it can keep attacking, plus with amplify damage in foxform and the 2 debuffs of the pet bosses should drop quicker.

b) Maybe instance PvP? (or i guess non-instance). Again here I point to it having flesh ream already and the 2 debuffs. (Obviously depending on if you are arcane or fox form will determine which debuff is more important), but having 20% (at level 1 for the skill not sure level 4) reduction in either either physical or magical defense could play a significant role in PvP.

Thoughts? (Please don't list nix or herc. Obviously they win hands down. Looking at non-CS pets here)

Currently my pet bag has Golem (of course for tank), Petite Sawfly (for PvP with flesh ream), Frog (for magic tank) and Tabby Plumdrop (for TT bosses and luring and maybe more)

I wouldn't mind replacing my golem with cub, but I haven't found one cheap enough or been able to tame one yet. Then of course to armored bear at the right level.
Post edited by MntMan - Lost City on

Comments

• Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    its a very sloppy pet compared to say a scorpion, its only major advantage being its defense. in PVP, you want a high attack, high speed pet to run your enemies down, AKA scorpion, sawfly, golem.

if youre going to put out for rare pets, why not get a kowlin, who has all that but better.
    works as a way better puller too.

pets cant steal aggro from barbs, so the low attack doesnt matter(barb skills have fixed aggro, that if chained, cant be taken unless someone goes berzerk in dmg, or a pet has bash on)

basically, it has mediocre stats, embarassing attack, and so many pets can do what it does, but better.

sad to say but sticking to the stereotype/cookie cutter is usually whats best for a veno
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    It has a cute attack. Sure, there are other pets that work better, but I've seen the tabby used quite effectively. If you feel like using it, go for it.
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    It has a cute attack. Sure, there are other pets that work better, but I've seen the tabby used quite effectively. If you feel like using it, go for it.

Any pet can be used to get the job done if the veno knows what she is doing....
    I have seen a sucky snow hare tanking and killing level 80 mobs and even bosses, but that does not make it a great rare pet.... It is still a sucky pet....

If you want to buy a tabby, go ahead and get it, replace some skills, learn its limitations and just use it and have fun.
    If you trying to unload your tabby at a high price, than please dont try to tell people it is a great pet and worth alot, because it is not, it is an average pet that happens to look cute, so they can pay alot to have a cute average pet. Some people do not care how good the pet is as long as they like it.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Kysay - Heavens Tear
    Kysay - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I use lvl 73 tabby. b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    what stats have Tabby Plumdrop on 73 lvl?
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • MntMan - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    My tabby is not for sale. I'm not a rare pet camper/farmer. I got it for a good deal and plan on keeping it. I just don't understand why it's not used as much for my above mentioned reasons is all.

At lvl 90:

Kitten
    HP 2475
    Atk 2060
    P.def 6425
    M.def 7010
    Acc. 2099
    Dodge 1199
    Atk/s 0.8
    m/s 8.5

Kowlin

HP 2579
    Atk 2218
    P.def 5575
    M.def 6689
    Acc. 1576
    Dodge 1051
    Atk/s 0.8
    m/s 10.4

As you can see the Tabby only has slightly less HP, but better Physical and Magical Defense. For luring I would think this is better since they would sustain less damage. (Same example of how having better defense is better then higher HP because less healing needed) The speed of the Kowlin can't be beat for sure. No argument. But does the speed difference make that much of a difference luring? Especially where the tabby comes with Slow? Also you can get the Tabby at level 20 and use it then to start luring as opposed to at lvl 60 and it's cheaper.

Add in pierce and howl (to reduce the targets physical and magical defense) and you have a decent pet for TT bosses in a squad. (debuffing). I would think that this pet deserves another look at it's role in anyone's arsenal. It can perform double duty and only takes up one slot in your pet bag.

Yet it seems everyone goes right for the Kowlin. I'll also lend credence to whoever stated that in the right hands almost any pet can be used well AND that it is all about enjoying your pet for it to work for you. Just trying to generate some discussion is all. On the LC server I never used a Tabby on my veno and just started using one on Harsh so got me thinking.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I had a Kowlin and it was terrible, maybe fast for sure but he died too much, so I haven't now really good puller and was thinking about this rare and a=small pest as puller, but I want to know which is the fastes and have decent def or hp(more def imo). Any advices are wilcome! b:cute
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

edited May 2009
    Options
    I had a Kowlin and it was terrible, maybe fast for sure but he died too much, so I haven't now really good puller and was thinking about this rare and a=small pest as puller, but I want to know which is the fastes and have decent def or hp(more def imo). Any advices are wilcome! b:cute

I still recommend the Orchid Petalli. It has very high evasion, 9.4 m/s speed and it comes with slow 4. I have yet to have her get killed on a pull, just make more you put her away as soon as she starts the skill animation, if you wait for it to finish, than you have a good chance to get her killed, if there are more mobs around.

So you know, I also use her to grind when I am bored, and at level 76 she can tank 3-4 pirates in nightscream, so I do not think she is too squishy (she has same mdef and pdef as the sawfly).
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

Hmmm... No pet is gonna be a good pet unless you know how to pull properly.. And yet of course at some occassions there is no chance for a pet to come out alive.. Maybe one of the reasons why herc also has became a pull pet. lol
    *Semi retired*
  • Kysay - Heavens Tear
    Kysay - Heavens Tear Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Tabby is great puller for me, and I don't even use slow.
    I recently dropped it to teach her Tough.
    If you give yourself enough space from mob, you can summon a pet in time without Slow.
    Tabby has decent hp but it's sucks compared to my Magmite, so I might drop Howl for Boost, too.

I love my tabby and wouldn't go for Kowlin/Nix/Herc ever.
    Just because this pets are strong or fast, they are useless if you don't know how to use them.
    I've dueled venos with these pets, and tabby tears through their robes easy. b:chuckle

Stats at 73
    HP 2007.
    Phys Attack 1191
    Damage 1703
    Attack Rate .80
    Phys Res 5179
    Mag Def 5650
    Evade 973
    Speed 8.3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LhRag - Sanctuary
    LhRag - Sanctuary Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    pull/lure with a herc ftw xD
    if ur not rich enough use an armored bear
    and ur not rich enough for that either then use a petalli as someone has suggested already
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I still recommend the Orchid Petalli. It has very high evasion, 9.4 m/s speed and it comes with slow 4. I have yet to have her get killed on a pull, just make more you put her away as soon as she starts the skill animation, if you wait for it to finish, than you have a good chance to get her killed, if there are more mobs around
    That's actually one of the reasons why the kowlin is so good. When it uses a skill, a bright red whirlwind forms around it. You can spot it a mile away. The instant you see this, you unsummon, and 95% of the time your kowlin won't take any damage.

With most of the other pets, the skill use is represented by a slightly different animation from the regular attack. Very tough to see at a distance. I've tried timing it by when the skill greys out on the pet hotbar, but it doesn't work as well. The skill seems to grey out after the skill fires. The red whirlwind/skill animation happens just as the skill starts to fire.

The speed of the Kowlin can't be beat for sure. No argument. But does the speed difference make that much of a difference luring? Especially where the tabby comes with Slow?
    From what I've seen, Slow does no damage. If you use it to pull, the mob won't come. To pull with slow, the pet has to cast slow and do a regular hit for damage. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) So it'll often result in a dead pet in the situations where it really matters. Several of the genie skills increase your running speed so Slow's usefulness would seem to be relegated to groups of wimpy mobs in tight quarters. There are very few situations which fit those criteria.

The whole pet pulling thing is probably gonna be turned on its head shortly, as there's at least one genie skill which can be used to pull singles from groups.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I found on ecatomb , one pet which can be nice puller :) This is rare pet, but no too expensive for me. I mean Cuddly Pup. It have on 90 lvl 9.5m/s in speed, more than Plumdrop. There are stats:

at 90 lvl

HP 2639
    Atk 2145
    P. def. 6279
    M. def. 6849
    Ev. 1075
    Acc. 1759
    Atk./s. 0.8
    speed m/s >> 9.5 <<

Today I'll buy one b:pleased

• DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i have a Tabby 73, because its so freakin cute. Its fighting animation, when it looks like its pawing or boxing at your enemy. That is the only reason.

It is very easy to grind with however... Have it tank 50% of the mob by starting with flesh ream.. use its debuffs mdef and slow... the mob will die before it gets to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I found on ecatomb , one pet which can be nice puller :) This is rare pet, but no too expensive for me. I mean Cuddly Pup. It have on 90 lvl 9.5m/s in speed, more than Plumdrop. There are stats:

at 90 lvl

HP 2639
    Atk 2145
    P. def. 6279
    M. def. 6849
    Ev. 1075
    Acc. 1759
    Atk./s. 0.8
    speed m/s >> 9.5 <<

Today I'll buy one b:pleased

Lets see.. 1.2-1.5mil for a pup that has 9.5 m/s or a free petalli at 9.4 m/s.... hard choices
    edited May 2009
    Options
    And as for your brilliant choice of the word 'suckey' umm... those stats are respectable.
    Any pet can be used to get the job done if the veno knows what she is doing....
    I have seen a sucky snow hare tanking and killing level 80 mobs and even bosses, but that does not make it a great rare pet.... It is still a sucky pet....

It makes it great in the fact that every time we do FB, I've never once accidentally selected her pet... I can't say the same for just about any other pet I've had to squad with. She's robe and doesn't tank, so the kitty works great for pulling and DD without having to focus on assist attacking all the time.

So you can say what you want, and your opinion is just that, but I HAVE seen it used effectively whether or not you'd wish that to be the truth or not.

Perhaps you just need the best gear or pets to be effective, not everybody does. lol
    edited May 2009
    Options
    And as for your brilliant choice of the word 'suckey' umm... those stats are respectable.

It makes it great in the fact that every time we do FB, I've never once accidentally selected her pet... I can't say the same for just about any other pet I've had to squad with. She's robe and doesn't tank, so the kitty works great for pulling and DD without having to focus on assist attacking all the time.

So you can say what you want, and your opinion is just that, but I HAVE seen it used effectively whether or not you'd wish that to be the truth or not.

Perhaps you just need the best gear or pets to be effective, not everybody does. lol

You,sir, must like to state the obvious. You should learn how to read. If english is not your first language, than I apologize. On the part you quoted from me, it clearly states that:
    "Any pet can be used to get the job done if the veno knows what she is doing....
    I have seen a sucky snow hare tanking and killing level 80 mobs and even bosses, but that does not make it a great rare pet.... It is still a sucky pet...."

That part you quoted was making the point that ANY pet can be used, it is up to the veno to choose which one they like the most. Obviously the veno using the hare to kill level 80 mobs likes the bunny and uses it, however that does not make it a good pet, in fact, it is still a sucky one, when compared to other pets. What makes the other pets better is that they are more efficient. Effective and efficient are two different words that mean different things.

Effective means to get the job done, while Efficient means to get the job done without or minimizing waste. If you can kill something faster you are wasting less time, therefore it is more efficient.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Lets see.. 1.2-1.5mil for a pup that has 9.5 m/s or a free petalli at 9.4 m/s.... hard choices

I buyed it just for 350k on Lost b:bye

• MntMan - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    There was a question or comment about the skill "Slow" being able to pull a mob and I'm pretty sure it does. Unless my timing is way off. I've tried it a few times (right clicking on the skill and sending the kitty) and as soon as the skill fires off I un-summon. The mob comes ambling slowly towards me so I summon up my golem and finish it off.

Also I think someone talked about stealing aggro from the kitty. I found that I often would when it leads with flesh ream, however as soon as I notice the mob coming at me if I use pierce or howl the kitty takes aggro right back and holds it. I had the same issue with my frog, but shriek does the same. These debuff skills regain aggro very effectively and hold it. It's just all about effectively using your pets. I did a fb39 run the other day with my cleric and 4 other venos. 2 of which had hercs. Not a single veno was able to have their pet hold aggro. It was really annoying on the exploding mobs. I had to heal them more then if I was doing the run with all BMs. Blew through pots like crazy.
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I buyed it just for 350k on Lost b:bye

<faints> you are lucky :)
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You,sir, must like to state the obvious. You should learn how to read. If english is not your first language, than I apologize. On the part you quoted from me, it clearly states that:
    "Any pet can be used to get the job done if the veno knows what she is doing....
    I have seen a sucky snow hare tanking and killing level 80 mobs and even bosses, but that does not make it a great rare pet.... It is still a sucky pet...."

That part you quoted was making the point that ANY pet can be used, it is up to the veno to choose which one they like the most. Obviously the veno using the hare to kill level 80 mobs likes the bunny and uses it, however that does not make it a good pet, in fact, it is still a sucky one, when compared to other pets. What makes the other pets better is that they are more efficient. Effective and efficient are two different words that mean different things.

Effective means to get the job done, while Efficient means to get the job done without or minimizing waste. If you can kill something faster you are wasting less time, therefore it is more efficient.

*yawn* I might have read what you had to say if you didn't start off insulting and condescending. Your points are meaningless and apparently my response was a puzzle too adult for you to comprehend.

If you can't see the benefit of using a small pet with decent stats in a large squad, you play with yourself too much. :P

How was that for grammar, syntax and punctuation? lol
  • Yurikko - Lost City
    Yurikko - Lost City Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Okay, I have the kitty, and the kowlin, along with a few other rares...
    The kitty being my first of them, and to be honest, and it was able to take down all my mobs I needed to grind, and as long as you take care of your pets, level up it's attack every 20 levels and you're fine, it actually does more damage with flesh ream than the kowlin and doesn't take hits as hard and you can't forget the cute factor.
    The only use I've found for my kowlin is running it through fb19/29 because of it's speed it can run ahead to kill the noob mobs in my way...It dies to fast to use as a lure for anything above fb59

And if you're really looking for a lure pet, I use my Shadou cub, as it's still reasonably fast, at 7.3m/s and it has even better hp/def/mdef and with the bonus defence skill if you really want to go all out.

But back on topic, the kitty is under-rated it's just as good as the other pets, and if you're completely worried about it not having bash or another attack skill like the kowlin, you could always use a forget scroll to remove slow, which is the kitty's least effective skill and get bash just to give it that added oomph.

You just have to know how to handle the pets to work them to their most effective uses. And you can't expect a pet with level 1 skills to hold aggro over a fully arcane veno with leveled up skills, spend the money to upgrade the skills and you'll save yourself from the pots because they won't lose aggro.