Ping

Worfix - Harshlands
Worfix - Harshlands Posts: 9 Arc User
edited June 2009 in General Discussion
hello guys. well, I was wondering: my ping is like 150~ on Harshlands cuz Im from Europe...is ping like mine annoying in TW and pvp? I really dont want to quit pwi and join that other servers in europe...they seem kinda boring.
so, will I have lots of problems with lagging at TW and pvp battles?
Post edited by Worfix - Harshlands on

Comments

• Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Where about in Europe?

You'll find the ping time just reflects on the time it takes for a tiny packet to travel back and forth between the client and the server. 75 ms goes in a blink of an eye (and does 150 pretty much) however for PWI packets it takes much longer than that for just the server to completely process it and send the appropiate data to the appropiate client(s) in the game. Things like chat, trade/embrace/etc request gets processed and sent to the recipicant(s) very quickly wheras movement and skill/spell usage can delay about a second or so extra (due to it needing to go through more and complicated processes) before appearing on everyone else's screen.

Where there's lots of players it can cause problems whether you have a low-end internet connection, computer or both. Also distance can have effect here as each packet sent over TCP needs a confirmation from the receiver that it has arrived and arrived intact which effectively can in turn cause netlag.

Knocking off 100 ms might not make that much difference.
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • Heartstone - Dreamweaver
    Heartstone - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,338 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    dont worry bout 150 ms. I'm from europe too.
    dreamweaver = 100ms ( i play there)
    played on HT before with 180'ish ms. lag aint noticeable for me at that. it's not like pw is first person shooter where we need every single ms b:chuckle
    I'm sorry for misspelling / mistyping and grammar b:surrender

102 - Archer - Heartz
  • Worfix - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    yeah, well...I 150 ping really seems a lot to me (I had it 110 the last time I checked it). cuz I have some experience with this from other games. I know that you cant play CS 1.6 for example if u have like 100 or more ping. also played other mmorpg game where u could play with 300 ping normally. and that's weird to me. well, Im staying on Harshlands I just dont want to level my char to 80, then be dissapointed that I cant kill anyone with my ping. that's what Im afraid of. So, if you guys say 100 ping isnt big deal, then I believe you ;)
  • Cal - Harshlands
    Cal - Harshlands Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Am from the subcontinent .... i have not seen ping times below 250ms ... still i am able to play pwi ..... a slight lag is ofc there, but u get used to it
    By the power of the alt lord ....
    I am ALT-MAN b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • luvs4play
    luvs4play Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    g`Day folks b:pleased
    I am curious too, of the voracious resources utilized in primary cities as opposed to training in less-travelled arenas... Is there a place on-screen where ping is registered & shown for each IGN in P.W.I. somewhere, or am I just merely looking at my ventrilo which is almost continually stuck at 26~28 until I arrive near/to primary cities when it unappealingly spikes to sometimes 5 digit numbers? Furthermore neither am I unused to big city lag-spikes in any MMO, though this community seems to harbor an almost exponentiated population relative to some other MMO's; is this because of what appears to be that P.W.I.'s single continent/island however vast, is home to the entire population?

b:laugh esurient b:pleased
  • araelwindwings
    araelwindwings Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I am from Europe too.

I have 380 ping on EastCost and 450 ping WestCoast average.

It's a lot due to my connection (yeah so old they used it in World War 2 probably), here my best would be 250.

Anyway, distance matters lot in ping, but in the game seems to be bigger.

The main PvP problem for Europeans would be the TW (Territory wars?) that there are about 20.00PM and in Europe would be something like 03.00AM... would u play that hour for so long?

I really hope they open at least 1 pvp server here in Europe.
  • Worfix - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    Am from the subcontinent .... i have not seen ping times below 250ms ... still i am able to play pwi ..... a slight lag is ofc there, but u get used to it

I think it's not a problem about getting used to it. the problem is that it's impossible to play especially with blademaster and barbarian if your ping is so high that u have to wait for seconds to cast any stun skill to stun Wizard. in this time he can cast magic 3 times. and the problem is that I dont know if that's happening in TW or no?
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    luvs4play wrote: »
    g`Day folks b:pleased
    I am curious too, of the voracious resources utilized in primary cities as opposed to training in less-travelled arenas... Is there a place on-screen where ping is registered & shown for each IGN in P.W.I. somewhere, or am I just merely looking at my ventrilo which is almost continually stuck at 26~28 until I arrive near/to primary cities when it unappealingly spikes to sometimes 5 digit numbers? Furthermore neither am I unused to big city lag-spikes in any MMO, though this community seems to harbor an almost exponentiated population relative to some other MMO's; is this because of what appears to be that P.W.I.'s single continent/island however vast, is home to the entire population?

b:laugh esurient b:pleased

The only place I know of that shows your ping time to the servers is when you go to change servers it tells you what your ping to the different servers is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Worfix - Harshlands
    edited June 2009
    Hi guys, ok Im having some problems with delay again. I've heard that some trick for reducing ping exists and I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet? and is any blademaster or barbarian from Europe here to tell me if ping around 120 is annoying at TW or no? I just wanna know, cuz if it does make problems, I'll probably quit cuz it's just not worth leveling it to 70+ then see that ping is just too high for tw.
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    120 isn't too bad to be honest. like someone already said if it bothers you, then move to one of our east coast servers.

Bear in mind that it's 120 milliseconds, 120 ms = .12 seconds and trust me that's not too shabby since you're not playing an FPS
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    It takes (much) longer than that for the server to process it and send out to the other client(s) for some actions, so a slightly higher ping time wouldn't make a noticable difference.
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.