Some Reflection

Aoe - Heavens Tear
Aoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 197 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I always wonder why people flame others in life, or do or say things to make someone feel low about themselves. You get a lot of this in PWI forums. I was reading this article, actually it made me feel a bit better for some reason. I think it's cause I feel like it's okay to say how i feel and if some wants to bring me down about it, I shouldn't be worried cause that's the type of person they are. Then there is also the people who cry so much and want attention all the time, and nothing you ever say pleases them. Many times I find them draining my very life essence.

So this is for anyone who wants to read it. For the people out there that are having a good day keep having a good day and don't let others rain on your parade. Do you feel like that sometimes based on this article. Post what you think but please be constructive and serious.

Here's the article. I posted the link too so you know where i found it.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/life/8-toxic-personalities-to-avoid-461078/

Although we like to think that the people in our lives are well-adjusted, happy, healthy minded individuals, we sometimes realize that it just isn't so. Personally, I've had moments where I'll be skipping through my day, happy as can be, thinking life is grand and BAM, I'll be blindsided by someone who manages to knock the happy wind out of my sails. Sometimes it is easy to write it off and other times, not so much.

Maybe you are a positive person, but when you are around a certain individual, you feel negative. Or, maybe you have an idealistic view of the world and when you are with certain people, you are made to feel silly, unrealistic or delusional. Or, maybe you pride yourself in being completely independent and in control of your life, but when you are around a certain family member, you regress into a state of childhood.

Some of these situations, and yes, these people, can have a tremendously negative impact on our lives. And, although we are all human and have our 'issues,' some 'issues' are quite frankly, toxic. They are toxic to our happiness. They are toxic to our mental outlook. They are toxic to our self-esteem. And they are toxic to our lives. They can suck the life out of us and even shorten our lifespan.

Here are the worst of the toxic personalities out there and how to spot them:

1. Manipulative Mary: These individuals are experts at manipulation tactics. Is a matter of fact, you may not even realize you have been manipulated until it is too late. These individuals figure out what your 'buttons' are, and push them to get what they want.

* Why they are toxic: These people have a way of eating away at your belief system and self-esteem. They find ways to make you do things that you don't necessarily want to do and before you know it, you lose your sense of identity, your personal priorities and your ability to see the reality of the situation. The world all of a sudden becomes centered around their needs and their priorities.

2. Narcissistic Nancy: These people have an extreme sense of self-importance and believe that the world revolves around them. They are often not as sly as the Manipulative Marys of the world, but instead, tend to be a bit overt about getting their needs met. You often want to say to them "It isn't always about you."

* Why they are toxic: They are solely focused on their needs, leaving your needs in the dust. You are left disappointed and unfulfilled. Further, they zap your energy by getting you to focus so much on them, that you have nothing left for yourself.

3. Debbie Downers: These people can't appreciate the positive in life. If you tell them that it is a beautiful day, they will tell you about the impending dreary forecast. If you tell them you aced a mid-term, they'll tell you about how difficult the final is going to be.

* Why they are toxic: They take the joy out of everything. Your rosy outlook on life continues to get squashed with negativity. Before you know it, their negativity consumes you and you start looking at things with gray colored glasses yourself.

4. Judgmental Jims: When you see things as cute and quirky, they see things as strange and unattractive. If you find people's unique perspectives refreshing, they find them 'wrong'. If you like someone's eclectic taste, they find it 'disturbing' or 'bad'.

* Why they are toxic: Judgmental people are much like Debbie Downers. In a world where freedom rings, judgment is sooo over. If the world was a homogeneous place, life would be pretty boring. Spending a lot of time with these types can inadvertently convert you into a judgmental person as well.

5. Dream Killing Keiths: Every time you have an idea, these people tell you why you can't do it. As you achieve, they try to pull you down. As you dream, they are the first to tell you it is impossible.

* Why they are toxic: These people are stuck in what is instead of what could be. Further, these individuals eat away at your self-esteem and your belief in yourself. Progress and change can only occur from doing new things and innovating, dreaming the impossible and reaching for the stars.

6. Insincere Illissas: You never quite feel that these people are being sincere. You tell a funny story, they give you a polite laugh. You feel depressed and sad and they give you a 'there, there' type response. You tell them you are excited about something and you get a very ho-hum response.

* Why they are toxic: People who aren't sincere or genuine build relationships on superficial criteria. This breeds shallow, meaningless relationships. When you are really in need of a friend, they won't be there. When you really need constructive criticism, they would rather tell you that you are great the way you are. When you need support, they would rather see you fail or make a fool of yourself.

7. Disrespectful Dannys: These people will say or do things at the most inappropriate times and in the most inappropriate ways. In essence, they are more subtle, grown up bullies. Maybe this person is a friend who you confided in and uses your secret against you. Maybe it is a family member who puts their busy-body nose into your affairs when it is none of their business. Or maybe, it is a colleague who says demeaning things to you.

* Why they are toxic: These people have no sense of boundaries and don't respect your feelings or, for that matter, your privacy. These people will cause you to feel frustrated and disrespected.

8. Never Enough Nellies: You can never give enough to these people to make them happy. They take you for granted and have unrealistic expectations of you. They find ways to continually fault you and never take responsibility for anything themselves.

* Why they are toxic: You will spend so much time trying to please them, that you will end up losing yourself in the process. They will require all of your time and energy, leaving you worn out and your own needs sacrificed.

All of these personalities have several things in common. 1) the more these people get away with their behavior, the more they will continue. 2) Unfortunately, most of these people don't see that what they do is wrong and as a result, talking to them about it will fall on deaf ears, leaving you wondering if you are the crazy one. 3) Most of these people get worse with age, making their impact on you stronger with time.

Frankly, life is too short to spend your time dealing with toxicity. If you can, avoid spending mucho time with people who are indicative of these behaviors and you'll feel a lot happier.
Post edited by Aoe - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Kamikiri - Lost City
    Kamikiri - Lost City Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Very nice post!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಙೆ_ಙೆ Rage sauce face, it's my expression everytime you necro a thread. ~Made by Konariraiden!
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    im like a combo of all but the last one on purpose lol
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Hmm...we see quite a few of those here on the forums.

Thanks for sharing, it was a good read! b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
    edited May 2009
    being mean is fun, so is crushing hopes, downsizing discussion, derailing topics, starting arguments, destroying egos, and just out right spamming man.
  • Hisoki - Heavens Tear
    Hisoki - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i had some "friends" that where like the discriptions there.
    i was being manipulated, stolen from and practicly tortured by them.. now some of you might think "why didnt he just leave them?" well you see. i couldnt.
    i couldnt leave them cuz they were the only people who actually wanted to be with me att. i didnt care if they used me as long as i wasnt alone. that was one thing i was always afraid of.
    because of my family i always thought i was useless or no good at anything. being with my "friends" made me feel like i wasnt.
    now im grown and i have learned that i was wrong. of course im not useless. nobody can do everything. im not talking to my so called "buddy buddy friends" from school anymore. i found new friends which is treating me the way everybody should be treated with kindness and respect.
    i see myself as a lucky person cuz i had help to get out of that group. she has been by my side ever since! and im happier as i can ever be. what more would i want? nothing more. there is nothing more i want than to be able to stay with her. there is a lot of people out there who are friendly and kind. its just hard to find them cuz they seem so far away to us.
    i dont mean to turn all phylosofic here or whatever. but my conclusion is, nobody is perfect and there isnt always something better, but there is always a chance of happyness if you are willing to look for it! ^.^

>.>

<.<

o.o did any of what i said have anything to do with this thread anyway?
    or did i just bable on about something random? well.. sorry if i did.

to the people out there still searching for happyness i just wanna say..

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

and.. if i should choose any of those things above i would naturaly say that im none of them!
    ^.^ since everybody calls me naive and too trusting of people >.> (dont know where they get it from though)
    if you wanna put me in any of those categories then thats what you think. nothing i can do about it. but before you do..
    get to know me first ^.^

okay now i really am just talking my **** off..
    probably borring someone..
    so ill stop here.

oh just one more thing.

Aoe..
    thank you for making me who i am tday! i love you!!!! b:kiss

okay ill stop now b:shutup
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Lol Hisoki ty for the love confession on the forums o////o. I love you too. b:kiss

Okay no more mushy stuff. Lol my faced turn red as a strawberry.

Lol tear, to be honest i have never found what you say to be mean or destructive. Although I'm afraid i haven't read most of all your post, so i can't make a sound opinion and i don't really know you in real life. Well in my life i was always taught that the truth hurts, and many times when people are told the truth it affects them more than if i would tell a lie. Someone with a high ego isn't truly seeing themselves for who they are, and that high ego has a negative affect on others.

I'm sure in that article we all can find a quality in there that resembles us but if you are totally like that, which i find there are a lot of people who fit those topics, I think speaking for myself i would do some self reflection. Life is too short, and i wouldn't want to shorten someone else's life either. Nor would i want them to do so to mine.

At the same time everything in life i have earned and work hard for even for the right to live, seeing as, (well let's not go there about me). It makes me feel so disappointed in people who cry so much and can not enjoy life. They can't find the good in anything and can't find the good in themselves. Since misery loves company they tend to bring others down with them. Those people at the end of their days what will they reflect on in the end. It would be so sad to say my life was crappy, but how come it was? Even the poorest child can find some enjoyment, or someone on their death bed can find a little amusement, why cant others? It helps you live longer.
  • DollParts - Sanctuary
    DollParts - Sanctuary Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i like being an instigator.
    You know, that person on the sidelines screaming "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Lol tear, to be honest i have never found what you say to be mean or destructive. Although I'm afraid i haven't read most of all your post, so i can't make a sound opinion and i don't really know you in real life.
    i am one person you dont want to know out side your computer. my mood swings and unstable mental disorders make me as caustic and venomous as most my posts make me look. my wife will say otherwise, but idk what makes her put up with me haha.

she says 'deep down underneath all that barbed wire, fences, guns, and whatever other barriers you put up, youre the kindest person ive ever met. something deep down, makes me think youre just trying to make people think youre this way to cut ties from society... and that makes me sad. you really should open up more so i can help you....' blah blah blah.

misery doesnt leave once it comes. it stays, and torments you, and makes you torment other people just to bring them to your level, and if you let it... it turns you into a ****.

so if youre hurting deep down inside ever, let it out, dont hide it, or else youll be just like me, the grinch who stole the forums.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    Maddrox - Harshlands Posts: 1,140 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You're ****, and you're posts will always fail so give up. Since I am the best and everything revolves around me, I say everyone gives me more nellies. I'll never have enough at this rate. *Fake Smile* It's alright though. You're wrong about all of these, there's no such thing so you must be some sort of a carebear. You're all ridiculous, life sucks, /wrist
    edited May 2009
    now we wait for someone to get offended and take maddrox's sarcasm seriously and go berserk in an angry rant post.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    now we wait for someone to get offended and take maddrox's sarcasm seriously and go berserk in an angry rant post.

I am sure it will happen.b:chuckle
    But how long will it take?
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    ಠ_ಠ

This is my angry face...rawr.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i like being an instigator.
    You know, that person on the sidelines screaming "FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT"

Hockey fan?

ಠ_ಠ

This is my angry face...rawr.

QQ....I miss Awesome Sauce Face b:sad
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Konariraiden - Heavens Tear
    Konariraiden - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,505 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    There are two now.

ಠ_ಠ <~~ Disapproving-look Face (AKA, "Weak-Sauce-Face")

and...

ಥ_ಥ <~~ Tears of [insert appropriate adjective here] Face (AKA, "Awesome-Sauce-Face")
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yeah, it's me. Don't read to much into it, though; I'm only here for myself now, killin' time and chillin' when need-be. So sue me. Tch...
  • Hisoki - Heavens Tear
    Hisoki - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hmm.. this is my angry face then i guess..

-.-
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    lol Tear, your wife is quite observant as i came to just about the same conclusion about you. Sounds like you have a strong woman, that makes you happy.

Lol i sure hope no one get's mad over the comment. >.< i had a hard time understanding it clearly. Brain blurped half way through reading it. Tried to read again and it did the same thing. I think I'm tired since i've been drawing in photoshop all day my eyes are crossing over.

>.< Not sure i want to meet anyone from the forums.

O.o did you read in the news about the woman who married a guy in an mmo, and when she came on to play she found he divorced her. Then she went to his house and tied him up and was about to kill him luckily the neighbor called the police when she heard the screaming.

>.< never know who really is on the other side of the screen. Any way although schizophrenic is not in this topic of people to avoid i think that is a major toxic personality to avoid.
  • Maddrox - Harshlands
    edited May 2009
    lol Tear, your wife is quite observant as i came to just about the same conclusion about you. Sounds like you have a strong woman, that makes you happy.

Lol i sure hope no one get's mad over the comment. >.< i had a hard time understanding it clearly. Brain blurped half way through reading it. Tried to read again and it did the same thing. I think I'm tired since i've been drawing in photoshop all day my eyes are crossing over.

>.< Not sure i want to meet anyone from the forums.

O.o did you read in the news about the woman who married a guy in an mmo, and when she came on to play she found he divorced her. Then she went to his house and tied him up and was about to kill him luckily the neighbor called the police when she heard the screaming.

>.< never know who really is on the other side of the screen. Any way although schizophrenic is not in this topic of people to avoid i think that is a major toxic personality to avoid.

Too bad she failed, I wonder how she was going to kill him?
  • Aoe - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    O.o

Not really sure, but what did make me curious was given the fact of how long it would take the police to arrive and the neighbor to call the police...

um what did she do to him before she tried to kill him that he started screaming