Tree of protection - level it?

Options
Miugre - Heavens Tear
Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
So... obviously since an archer has no skill to heal himself, the Tree of Protection genie skill has been particularly useful to me. At Lv1 it restores something like two thirds of my... I think 2700? HP while only taking up enough stamina to require 420 coins to replace (by decomping a lv2 armor). Kind of like a cheap potion on a 1-minute cooldown. Pretty cool.

But unfortunately, the skill description doesn't list how much HP it restores... just "full" HP. And it's definitely not "full" HP. So I'm wondering... if I invest more spirit into leveling Tree of Protection, will it restore more HP? Or will it just rise in stamina cost without recovering any more (or just boosting max HP more)?

Thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
Post edited by Miugre - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Papacharino - Heavens Tear
    Papacharino - Heavens Tear Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    my experiences, Tree of Protection is great.
    the major drawback is to the people who use an hp charm, if HP is low enough, when using ToP, raising the max hp which could make their current HP 50% or under, making the hp charm to tick. more then likely, don't go over lv3 if you use a charm.
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Kantorek wrote: »
    Tree of Protection
    Current: Restores full HP every 3 seconds for 6 seconds.
    Actual: Restores 25% of max HP every 3 seconds for 6 seconds.
    We will fix the description text in a future patch.

Search button is your friend.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ah, thanks for that.

But my question is, does it grow as the skill levels? Does it become 30% at lv2, 35% at lv3, etc.? Or does only the maximum HP increase?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Kinoku - Sanctuary
    Kinoku - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I use Tree and it's still lvl one. I also use HP charm, and I use tree as more of an instant safety buffer. If I'd lvl it higher then I'd be defeting my purpose of having it. Which for me is to lower charm usage. Now if you don't use HP charm I'd say go for higher lvls because the increases will still be great. You'd only gain a max heal of 50% over the time at any lvl, but if you gain a max HP boost of 50% also then if you was orginally at 30% by the time the effects wore off you'd be back to full health.

Edit in response to your new post. No only the max HP increases, the heal effect stays constant.
  • Fliiick - Heavens Tear
    Fliiick - Heavens Tear Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    my experiences, Tree of Protection is great.
    the major drawback is to the people who use an hp charm, if HP is low enough, when using ToP, raising the max hp which could make their current HP 50% or under, making the hp charm to tick. more then likely, don't go over lv3 if you use a charm.

Upgrade it fully, why on earth would you use Tree of Protection if your charm hasn't ticked yet? Use it if your charm is in cooldown and you're thinking "Oh sh*t, I'm going to die", use it! It's the last line of defense until the cooldown is finished
    ~Almost original Tao member~
    Former Tao Director

IGN: Fliiick
    Cleric 100
    Currently Radiance
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Upgrade it fully, why on earth would you use Tree of Protection if your charm hasn't ticked yet? Use it if your charm is in cooldown and you're thinking "Oh sh*t, I'm going to die", use it! It's the last line of defense until the cooldown is finished

I agree. I also use it when an "Oh sh*t, this is going to hurt!" Moment comes. Say I accidentally pull aggro on an SA FB mob while wearing the wrong set of gear...
  • Arliana - Dreamweaver
    Arliana - Dreamweaver Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    You do realize that if your max health goes up, u get healed for more right???
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

This. Tree is the skill you use when your charm's on cooldown and you need to get that extra burst of HP your charm can't provide you with at the time.
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yes yes yes we already know what it does. The question still stands. Should one bother to upgrade it to the max? In what way does it get better?
  • Fliiick - Heavens Tear
    Fliiick - Heavens Tear Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Less energy/stamina consumption, faster cooldown i would assume
    ~Almost original Tao member~
    Former Tao Director

IGN: Fliiick
    Cleric 100
    Currently Radiance
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Same stamina usage, more energy usage, higher max HP percentage, same heal-over-time effect.

The only result of lvling it is a higher max HP at the cost of higher energy usage.

Personally, I think its better to leave it at lvl 1 (85 energy) so you have enough energy to use other protective skills (i.e. Wind Shield).

For exact numbers, see: http://www.ecatomb.net/genieskill.php

~Desiree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mr_jingle - Sanctuary
    Mr_jingle - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well Barbs have a skill that increases in damage as more HP you have so it's definitely useful for them for it to be maxed out. With other characters, leave it at level 1 to keep the energy cost minimum. I found out that using the genie Zeal makes it much easier for high level tree of protection to be used thanks to her high magic count. If you use other characters not barbarian, you can still max it out but use Zeal so your energy recharges fast enough to reuse skills.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Honestly, if you think about that first heal, it's actually healing you for much more than a quarter of your normal HP. For example, you have 4000 HP. 25% of that is 1000. Say Tree boosts that 25%. You now have 5000, and 25% of that is 1250. Now. Pump Tree up to even just 50% You now have 6000 HP, and 25% of that is 1500. Now, if you manage to get the dex to push the time to 6 seconds so both healings are still in the HP increased time period, it does end up healing you for quite a bit. Even if you don't, the HP increase is worth it.