Do you have a Sidearm?

Oldbear - Sanctuary
Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
edited June 2009 in Dungeons & Tactics
It's no news that Blademasters shoot arrows, Archers use fists...and so on.

What is your secondary weapon? When does it come most handy?

I have LV8 Skeleton Axes for Axe path skills (TT Weapon for LV8). Needless to say they're behind most of my AoE skills except Myriad Sword Stance.

and LV5 3* Bow for long range and mob pull. Very handy when you help out a beginner to get mobs quickly without running. And in some boss occasions when boss has AoE it's best to just get tank in there, while others support with long range attacks (FB51 3rd boss). Then bow becomes main weapon. Add spark eruption+sprint and you get decent support damage.
Post edited by Oldbear - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Azazel - Dreamweaver
    Azazel - Dreamweaver Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hm....does magic sword and magic wand count as sidearm? T.T
  • Oldbear - Sanctuary
    Oldbear - Sanctuary Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hm....does magic sword and magic wand count as sidearm? T.T

What I meant by sidearm is your secondary, back-up or special circumstances weapon that you don't just own in your bank but also carry with you alongside of your main weapon, enabling you to use wider range of tactics how to fight mobs or other players.
  • Tequila_wolf - Heavens Tear
    Tequila_wolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i carry cudgel of ancient alloy for tanking bosses, (going to put on when i get 79)
    going to use thunderdeath axes at 80

will carry both when i hit lvl 80 :) axes for dmg, cudgel for tanking
  • Desiree - Harshlands
    Desiree - Harshlands Posts: 635 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I use some level fist to punch tablets to get chi... o.o;
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bashusilly - Heavens Tear
    Bashusilly - Heavens Tear Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    My previous Bm, I carried Swords, being my main. (Illusive Lunar Cutlass +4) I believe it was a +4 or +5. I also carried Ragging Lion Claw dual axes for the AOE, And A 3* lightning Bow.

With this build (I know, too early) But I carry My Trial Scythe, My perfect officers Dual Hammers(stash box) and 2* Sparrowhawk bow.

Seems to me, that even though it is not used all the time, A bow is a nice complement, at least to a BM. It works well when you want to pull a single mob to you our of a group....Sometimes it will pull multiple mobs, but for normal questing and grinding, it does the job nicely.

I really only carry the pole and hammers right now, because I cant really decide what I like better.

With this toon, I am planning on my primary being pole, but I am stating to be able to use pole, axes or swords without any drop off on weapon level. It hurts my Vit a little, so I may just alter my stats to do pole and Axes.....I have not decided yet.
    Don't let my level confuse you. I've done this before.
    Leader-Vandals-Heavens Tear
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    No secondary weapon at this point. My current FB magic staff might become my secondary at some point - the bonus stats are nice and I might keep it as a backup when the regular weapons surpass it enough in attack power. For now, though, it's still the best thing out there.

There really isn't anything else worth having as a backup as a Mage at this point, since the FB weapon blows everything else away for a while.

My husband has a BM main, and I have one to toy with, and both of us carry Bows on them. Invaluable for luring, and doing damage while conserving MP. It also frees up an extra inventory slot by making you able to stash the arrows up top as Equipped ^x^ I haven't pulled up a secondary weapon on my Cleric - I hardly play her and again, Magic weapons pwn. For my Veno, I used to carry a Melee weapon as a backup to the Magic weapon, but the attack power doesn't match up any more - the magic weapon is still better and lets the Veno use casting skills. I'll probably get my Barb a bow eventually, but right now he's so gentle with the MP bar that there's no reason to play namby pamby with a few arrows to start things off XD More than likely I'll have a second melee weapon for him to work with instead, for if I need to switch out greater speed for greater damage, or if he hits an evil streak where he keeps hitting the min damage on the attack range on one of the wider-spread weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • WitchBurner - Sanctuary
    WitchBurner - Sanctuary Posts: 1,394 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    My side arm is either pocket sand....

or

Sutra+Town portal

They usually get me out of danger. With no dex pure wizs can't really carry a sidearm, although some loaded magic users carry a minus channeling weapon and a high damage weapon.
    Currently flying internet spaceships around dodixie, moving to amarr soon.

Send me a mail if you wanna ask/request anything

Sanctuary's retired king of wizards alongside queen Saintblu.
  • glenion
    glenion Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if this counts but for my cleric
    3k-dmg-absorbpots are "side arm" of clerics. I've used them countless times.

Really, I don't find that much of a need for secondary weapons. If a person uses their skills wisely to maneuver the mobs then the collected mana pots can last a good while. For example, my BM although low lvled(still in the 30s) has not needed to buy pots since she has high vit and sutra. My cleric(74) stacks +MP regen gear which allows me to grind with less meditation. Then I use the pots I gather for dungeon stuff. My archer(39) hasn't needed to buy pots for a long time.(since lvl19) However, I suspect some +regen gear might come in handy. Really, learn to use one weapon and use it really well.

I really don't use "side arms". Instead I prefer "side armor". Basically I carry different types of armor for different situations. For example on my cleric I put on my expensive highly refined gear for stuff like HH and PvP. However, I use +MP regen gear for grinding and I some times buy **** armor with a couple elements to stack defenses. Alot of these armors just drop or come for a really cheap price. Then I switch around ornaments too. For example, for grinding I use elemental -channeling gear while for PvP and phy mobs I use phy ornaments.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Do pets count as sidearms? I kinda have lots of them.....
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • U_got_sniped - Lost City
    U_got_sniped - Lost City Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i have different types of arrows and some dammage absorbing powders for PvPb:victory
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I carry a bow with me at all times. Works wonders on those annoying "Increased Magic Resist" mobs that explode. I stay away, and I don't have to cast spells that are going to bounce off anyway. As long as I flip back to my Magic Weapon before they die, I can heal my pet before the mob explodes.
  • Iccyfoxx - Heavens Tear
    Iccyfoxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Why have a second wep and take inventory space, when you got spells and 4 pets at your disposal?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks to ForsakenX for the sig.
    Killing with flair.
    "Suck my Magmite!"-xXFoxxyXx
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Why have a second wep and take inventory space, when you got spells and 4 pets at your disposal?

Only 4 pets? You really need to step it up a notch.
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009

The same reason I have two entire sets of armor and 10 pets. Because I use every bit of it.
  • Coyote_Wise - Heavens Tear
    Coyote_Wise - Heavens Tear Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    I have a Moonlight Bow I use for pulling and dueling (Don't run from me!) and the level 50 Gen. Summer hammers, because I HAVE had my axes break on me in the middle of a dungeon, and going all the way to town and back was not a good option. Less damage yes, but they make up for what they lack with that HP regen and the extra attack power. A really good shard in them might bring them up to snuff. I'd use them full time of the attack was the same.
    edited June 2009
    Only 4 pets? You really need to step it up a notch.
    And why spend money to completely fill my pet bag when my 4 pets can kill anything I need them to?
    The same reason I have two entire sets of armor and 10 pets. Because I use every bit of it.
    And thats just a waste of my inventory space.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Killing with flair.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    And thats just a waste of my inventory space.

Well, since I have the double size inventory, and never, ever, have managed to fill it, it doesn't really matter, and plus, I like having a solution to EVERYTHING. I'm hybrid for a reason. As for the pets, I have the Phys Tank, the Mag Tank/Debuff Pet, the Lure Pet, the Evasion Pet, a Mount, a Water Pet, Two Air Pets, and Two pets I have just because I wanted something Cute. Now, if you excuse me, I have Kimsa to tank in LA Fox Form with my Debuff Pet which comes with Threaten, followed by Suzerix in AA Caster form with my Lure Pet, which comes with Howl, followed by Chin in LA Caster Form with my Phys Tank, and Dismal in AA Fox Form with my Magic Tank, and heck, maybe I'll even go help someone take on Jewel in LA Fox Form with my Magic Damage Amping Flying Pet. Why? Because I can. That is why I carry more than your average player. Because I have the brains, and strategy to use it all, and use it well.
    edited June 2009
    Well, since I have the double size inventory, and never, ever, have managed to fill it, it doesn't really matter, and plus, I like having a solution to EVERYTHING. I'm hybrid for a reason. As for the pets, I have the Phys Tank, the Mag Tank/Debuff Pet, the Lure Pet, the Evasion Pet, a Mount, a Water Pet, Two Air Pets, and Two pets I have just because I wanted something Cute. Now, if you excuse me, I have Kimsa to tank in LA Fox Form with my Debuff Pet which comes with Threaten, followed by Suzerix in AA Caster form with my Lure Pet, which comes with Howl, followed by Chin in LA Caster Form with my Phys Tank, and Dismal in AA Fox Form with my Magic Tank, and heck, maybe I'll even go help someone take on Jewel in LA Fox Form with my Magic Damage Amping Flying Pet. Why? Because I can. That is why I carry more than your average player. Because I have the brains, and strategy to use it all, and use it well.
    Thats not strategy, thats killing bosses with random pets to try and make yourself feel like all the money you spent on this game was well spent. And attempting to make yourself feel better than a little lvl 3X like myself by telling me all about your amazing pets and skills at an online game, that, honestly, you must have spent at least 40 bucks on when it's free.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Killing with flair.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    Thats not strategy, thats killing bosses with random pets to try and make yourself feel like all the money you spent on this game was well spent. And attempting to make yourself feel better than a little lvl 3X like myself by telling me all about your amazing pets and skills at an online game, that, honestly, you must have spent at least 40 bucks on when it's free.

Oh, I don't have to make myself feel better by telling you what I can do. My faction mates do that enough for me when they ask for my help with everything. They know that no matter what the problem is, I have a solution.

And they aren't random Pets, FYI. I chose them very specifically for a reason. Trust me on this. I delve into this game in ways that most people barely glance over. I've got so much strategy it's like I'm playing a game of chess. Except I've got rows and rows of every piece, and you're telling me that all I need is a queen to win. I play chess. A lot, in fact. There's been several times I've won with something as simple as a pawn.

Some people play this game by pushing their strengths to the limit, leaving glaring weaknesses. I do the opposite. I find every single weakness, and find a way to eliminate it. And, yeah. I did spend money on this. Why? Because it's actually worth it to me. I also don't have the infinite time to play like some people, so I use what I have at my disposal. My money, that I make from my job.

I don't have to prove anything to you. You're the one that told me what I was doing was a waste. All I did was show you a little bit of my reasoning. It's not a waste if it has a purpose. Just because some of us take things further doesn't mean we don't know what we're doing. It just means that we know what to do with what we have, and to make it better, we have a lot. To me, my favorite part of this game is when no matter what the question, my response can simply be "Yeah. I can do that." That's why I play the way I do. And I enjoy this game. Have fun with what you have. It's your choice, and you probably put a lot of effort into it.
    edited June 2009
    O.O Wall o' text much. And no I did not say it was wrong the way you did it, I simply asked why I should take MY, not your, very limited inventory space, and use my, not your, 4 pets instead. Then you and Jazmin started hateing on me. Two lvl 7x's against poor little me, who does not charge all my REAL money onto a FREE game just so I can have it be like "a game of chess". If I wanted that, I would join the chess club at my school, not go playing PWI and take the challenge out of everything for myself and for others. But people like you seem to get their smiles from having people you know ask you for help and seem to be all-powerful in the eyes of those of lower lvls than yourself. And if your character is so perfect and free of weaknesses, like you say, why are you not playing as the queen of your server instead of hanging around the forums, picking on me for asking a simple question? (I don't know why I'm saying "hate on". My new favorite phrase, I guess)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Killing with flair.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    edited June 2009
    O.O Wall o' text much. And no I did not say it was wrong the way you did it, I simply asked why I should take MY, not your, very limited inventory space, and use my, not your, 4 pets instead. Then you and Jazmin started hateing on me. Two lvl 7x's against poor little me, who does not charge all my REAL money onto a FREE game just so I can have it be like "a game of chess". If I wanted that, I would join the chess club at my school, not go playing PWI and take the challenge out of everything for myself and for others. But people like you seem to get their smiles from having people you know ask you for help and seem to be all-powerful in the eyes of those of lower lvls than yourself. And if your character is so perfect and free of weaknesses, like you say, why are you not playing as the queen of your server instead of hanging around the forums, picking on me for asking a simple question? (I don't know why I'm saying "hate on". My new favorite phrase, I guess)

Why be queen, when I can be a knight? Everyone targets the queen. I serve my friends and faction well. Unquestioning, unwavering. Also? You're a Veno. The powerhouse of grind. Anything in the cash shop, you can have. You just have to grind for it.

I'm not all powerful. If I wanted to be all powerful, I'd have rolled a Barb with a Cleric alt on another Computer. So I could tank every boss and quest. I've never said I'm perfect, either. Just that I have a solution for everything. Doesn't mean that my solution doesn't involve other players. I'm a strategist. It's what I do. I see a problem, and fix it. It's how I play.

Now. As for you? By the time you reach 70's, you'll have made quite a bit of money. How you use it is completely your choice. Whether you want to power up a small portion of your power to the extreme, or power up a lot of everything equally, it's up to you. And guess what? If you know what you're doing, it works either way.

I apologize that I attacked you. I thought you were telling me what I was doing is wrong. Which is something I've heard pretty much since Day 1 playing my Veno the way I am. I'm an LA build with boosted Vit. I have to have a pretty high level tome to equip my weapon at my level. So, when I saw, in my mind, what amounted to someone, yet again, pointing a finger and going "UR DOIN IT RONG!!!!" I pounced. I'm sorry.

That wasn't a wall of text, by the way. Not by my standards. You should see how much I can write if I really stick my hand to it.
  • ExoKillr - Heavens Tear
    ExoKillr - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    hmmm im currently using skeleton axes and at 70 will be using calamitys... but i ALWAYS have my trusty splintered club with me it never does me wrong.b:victoryb:chuckleb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Fist BM with bow for luring and archer mobs. Shoot til they get close, then pound them.

My archer carries fists as well for the time knockback arrow is in cooldown.

BTW, Iccy, it says, "Style is all that matters"
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x