genie skils for venos

Options
Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear
Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Venomancer
i was wondering what is best for a PVE veno. a STR genie with attack skills, if so what skills should i get. or a DEX genie with buffs, if so what skills should i get?

i'd really appreciate your help.
Post edited by Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Chabi - Heavens Tear
    Chabi - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hi!

Im still in the process of trying out different genie skills. I only have one genie leveled up to my own level.
    What i come up with so far is: one genie is probably not enough. It will take a long time before we understand the benefits of different skills in different situations.
    The genie i use now is a zeal type. I like it because they have the fastest regen of all.
    And the skills i use atm are:
    Tree of protection, its a decent save my but heal if used rigth. Use it after your charm ticked not before. You dont have to max the level of it cause the part that is useful is the 2x25% healtick is what you want.

Extreme poison, debuffs the target 20% + 1% for every 10dex point. It only cost 55 energy to cast and it last 10secs so it can almost be spammed by the zeal genie.

Hollow Fist, debuff 20% phy def 10 secs + 1sec for every 20dex point. At lev 10 it cost a wopping 122 energy and 1281 stamina. So expensive to use. Also do 1081 damage and bleed 1000 over 9 secs.

Tai Chi, At level 10 it buff you and your pt with +40%
    speed for 15secs and regen hp 50/sec for 15secs. This is the latest one i try and i like it. That speed buff buys time when you mess up and your pet dies. Watch out though i heard the hp regen part will over run the clerics. So after 15secs you dont have any hp regen at all. Have not yet tried if its the same with apothec pots.

Anyway what i tried to do was looking for genie skills that all needed points put in dex to become better.
    But when i leveled some skills i needed to put more in vitality to be able to use them. So be careful if you dont have points to distrubute.

Also fyi points you put in dex are NOT shown in the general skill description. According to GM:s the skills do get better. And maybe they will change it sometime so you see the result asap in the skill information.
  • vagrant0
    vagrant0 Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hi!
    Tree of protection, its a decent save my but heal if used rigth. Use it after your charm ticked not before. You dont have to max the level of it cause the part that is useful is the 2x25% healtick is what you want.

Extreme poison, debuffs the target 20% + 1% for every 10dex point. It only cost 55 energy to cast and it last 10secs so it can almost be spammed by the zeal genie.

Agree on these too since they can be rather useful if used right. I've been using tree of protection instead of a HP charm (since it costs less to break down armor drops and recharge than it is to buy a charm that often ticks when I don't want it to (when I'm no longer being attacked).

I would toss in Tangling Mire instead of hollow fist. Veno has attack spells, and should use those and not some genie ability to kill with. Debuffs physical defense about the same with a movespeed debuff, over an area of 15 feet. Which means that it is not only a good means of buying a few seconds to kill something before it gets to you, but also allows you the chance to run away. Has additional use in TW since it can slow down/debuff a whole group of people. With low costs.

For a fourth skill, holy path is probably a bit more useful. It doesn't last as long, but increases movement speed quite alot so you end up covering about the same distance.

Although there are some decent attack skills, they can be rather expensive to use, and have limited application for a veno. Your best bet is to either use skills that add to your assortment of debuffs, or which help keep you alive. For pet skills I would suggest a maximum of 30 dex, getting atleast 40 magic (for the 4th skill) and putting the rest into vit. The attack stat just doesn't really add up to being enough to really count in the long run. For a barb, BM, or cleric, attack skills might make more sense, but for a veno, your biggest shortcoming is usually survivability, anything that increases that is usually a good thing.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Hollow Fist, debuff 20% phy def 10 secs + 1sec for every 20dex point. At lev 10 it cost a wopping 122 energy and 1281 stamina. So expensive to use. Also do 1081 damage and bleed 1000 over 9 secs.

Does it stack with ironwood scarab? If not, dont really see point with it..
    *Semi retired*
  • Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear
    Outlaw_Arch - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    thanks for the advice guys:D i own ya one
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I did have the tai chi skill but I noticed it only increases the squad member's speed,
    not your own. I was 7.3 m/s with and without tai chi, with my own speed buff and
    an archer's speed buff. Perhaps useful when you have slow clerics but I noticed the
    tai chi skill description also no where states that it increases your own speed :/

For a speed skill I kinda went with relentless courage, Increases attack speed 12%,
    movement speed 30% and reduce casting time by 6%, lasting for 8 seconds.
    Well I thought it was useful since I use both fox and mage form.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I liked tree of protection and extreme poison the best. Low(ish) stamina, low energy. I find the rest not worth spending money on, which is what stamina is.

What you should do is decide what YOU want to do with your genie. Damage? Buffs to yourself? Debuffs on your enemy? Base your genie's starting stat affinity and the stats you'll give it off that. Then look through the skills, prioritize them, and look at the affinities. Find the ones whose affinities overlap, and build your affinities around that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Does it stack with ironwood scarab? If not, dont really see point with it..

Yes Hollow Fist stacks with Ironwood. I'm trying to decide between Hollow Fist and Extreme Poison for boss fights. The genie's energy regen rate and the high energy cost of both skills really make it pointless to try to use both in the same fight. If I were in "normal" groups with casters DDing, then EP would be the obvious choice. But I always seem to wind up in melee and archer-heavy groups so it's really a toss-up between the two. HF seems like it would be more useful when soloing and spam healing.
  • Chabi - Heavens Tear
    Chabi - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I did have the tai chi skill but I noticed it only increases the squad member's speed,
    not your own. I was 7.3 m/s with and without tai chi, with my own speed buff and
    an archer's speed buff. Perhaps useful when you have slow clerics but I noticed the
    tai chi skill description also no where states that it increases your own speed :/

For a speed skill I kinda went with relentless courage, Increases attack speed 12%,
    movement speed 30% and reduce casting time by 6%, lasting for 8 seconds.
    Well I thought it was useful since I use both fox and mage form.

Heya!
    Dont know why you did not get any speed buff on you. For me it's working great. I get a speed buff icon and it works both on ground and in the air.
    Both with veno speed buff and without i get the 40% for 15 secs.
  • IceJazmin - Heavens Tear
    IceJazmin - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,206 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yes Hollow Fist stacks with Ironwood. I'm trying to decide between Hollow Fist and Extreme Poison for boss fights. The genie's energy regen rate and the high energy cost of both skills really make it pointless to try to use both in the same fight. If I were in "normal" groups with casters DDing, then EP would be the obvious choice. But I always seem to wind up in melee and archer-heavy groups so it's really a toss-up between the two. HF seems like it would be more useful when soloing and spam healing.

I have both HF and EP, what I do is use HF at the begining of fight, until I am sure I will not steal aggro, than use EP, since it also affects my spells.
    Regarding stamina cost.. I just went from level 1 tailor and accessories to 5 in one sitting (was saving mats for ever), so my genie is VERY FAT atm.... (close to 800k stamina points).
    Too often we loose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap that mother#$@%#^! upside the head.
  • PequetteV - Lost City
    PequetteV - Lost City Posts: 1,202 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    impact or tangling mire ( they dont stack ) decrese pdef
    extrme poison increase dmg
    hollow fist bleed and decrease pdef
    windshield reduce dmg received
    tree of protect healing 5% max hp every 3 seconds
    essence penetration give chi then remove chi ( useful for parasite nova )
    thunderstormor eathquake cancel your target chaneling

i think that about it
    i have tangling mire, essence penetration, windshield, extrme poison, earthquake might drop windshield for hollow fist
    genesis (r.i.p.) ===> conqueror (r.i.p.) ===> zen (r.i.p.) ===> iam (r.i.p.) ===> guardianz (r.i.p.) ===> spectral ===> essence
    starting to be a nice guild hoppers b:surrender

go on my website it contains lots useful informations about PWI

[noparse]http://pequette.comuf.com[/noparse]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have both HF and EP, what I do is use HF at the begining of fight, until I am sure I will not steal aggro, than use EP, since it also affects my spells.

I don't think debuffs affect whether or not you steal aggro. In the testing I did, pierce (decrease phys defense) increased the melee damage I did, but also increased the amount of damage I had to do to take aggro. So it seems aggro is calculated based on the raw damage, and the debuff simply multiplies that raw damage before applying it to the mob as damage.

Granted this was for melee and I still have to test it for spells.

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=2630911#post2630911

I ended up dropping Hollow Fist. Its debuff stays the same with increased level but the energy requirement increased (the damage portion increases as well), while Extreme Poison's energy requirement stays the same and the effects increase with level. Increased energy requirement = fewer applications during a fight, which pretty much cancels out the benefit of increased damage. Basically, HF is a solo-friendly skill, while EP is a squad-friendly skill.'

I've been playing around with Tangling Mire vs. EP now. TM only debuffs physical defense, but it's AOE. So all those extra mobs bashing on your herc take additional reflect damage, not just the main target. TM's energy cost also goes up with level, but it tops out at 53 energy (vs. 55 for EP), so the two are very similar in spamability. The movement speed debuff is useful for runners too. Its main drawback is a 30 sec cooldown. It doesn't affect the spamability (takes more than 30 sec for a 40 mag genie to regen then 53 energy), but sometimes I'd like to apply it twice in quick succession.

A cleric friend had holy path (movement speed set to 15 m/s for 3.3 to 6 sec). That was really nice for insuring that I survived pulls.
  • Energize - Heavens Tear
    Energize - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I use:
    - Blinding Sand lvl 10: Decreases Accuracy by 70% and Channeling by 10% for 8 seconds (I may drop this for something else)
    - Extreme Poison lvl 10: 20% more dmg for 10 secs
    - Lightning Chaser lvl 1 - Just to cancel channel (100%)
    - Cloud Eruption lvl 1 - Grants myself and enemies 100 chi but I get an extra 10 chi. At lvl 10 I presume I would gain 100 extra chi. (2 fury is naice)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    GaliNaab here, your neighbourhood friendly male venomancer.
  • Santacruz - Heavens Tear
    Santacruz - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,776 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    no one mentioned holy path D:

15 mtrs a sec for *suposedly* 8 secs, still a nice skill ^^