Asking a few questions...

killer128
killer128 Posts: 49 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Venomancer
I may ask more questions throughout this topic, so here's to hoping!

1.) First off, what is the BEST way to utilize a Venomancer? I have heard about pets, fox forms, etc., and have no clue how to make the best out of my player.

I'm numbering them because I want to, and to specify this won't be my last question!
Post edited by killer128 on

Comments

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The best is to nuke and let your pet attack which is what most do.You could use foxform which I haven't since pre lvl 30 some do that and let the pet attack.I am not up on foxform so I am not best to ask.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Not exactly up to terminology. What is nuking in this game?

So most let pets do all the attacking and "nuke?" That seems okay.

Now for my next question:

2.) Is there a certain list of pets I should obtain in order as I level up?

If no one gives a true list, I will then ask which pets are most fun to use and what levels I can get them at. I'd like to have an up-to-date pet as I level up.
  • Venomeow - Sanctuary
    Venomeow - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    A golem would do for a bit. Then get a herc, then a nix. :D
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Example of a golem? What if I'm only level 15? If that level is too low for a golem, what would you suggest?
  • Venomeow - Sanctuary
    Venomeow - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Crystalline/volcanic magmites at level 19

up to level 19 it really doesn't matter, since the levels pass by so quickly
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Okay, when do I achieve golems?

I started a Venomancer but did the build completely wrong, that's why I'm asking these questions. I want to know how to get the best out of my Venomancer.

So, that lead to...

3.) What is a good (specific) build for a Venomancer? If there are different builds, which one would be most useful in PvE? PvP?
  • Natassha - Lost City
    Natassha - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Read the Comprehensive Venomancer Guide and the Venomancer FAQ... they're both sticky posts at the top of this forum.
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    What do I do after that?
  • Viper_girl - Heavens Tear
    Viper_girl - Heavens Tear Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You get Crystalline Magnamites at Lvl 17 Volcanic at Lvl 18. Personally I don't like the Golems because they are huge and slow but unless you can afford a Shadou Cub or Herc, you will need one to tank the tough bosses. But you will find that your levelled up starter Wolf or Scorpion will serve you well into the 20s.

In terms of build it depends on what you like as your play style. If you want to depend on your pet and have powerful nuke and heals go arcane. If you want to be less squishy without your pet go heavy armor at the cost of magic attack power and pet heals.

In general an arcane build is much faster for leveling and less costly for repairs. Play style is: you send your pet in to tank and you nuke the mob while you stay back in relative safety. Having the highest possible MAG and Magic attack weapons helps.

Once in a while you may pull aggro. If you find you are dieing too often when that happens, start adding more STR and some VIT so you can add more PHY defense armor and HP. A light armor build may be the easiest if you don't want to die too often. In my 20s as a LA veno I was able to switch back and forth between the Foxform fighting mode and Acrane mode to see which style I liked better.

No build is set in stone you can restat using the reset stones or simply add the new points you get at each level into the areas you need. I usually hold a few points in reserve so I can add it to STR or MAG if I need it for a new piece of armor or weapon.
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Okay, thanks for the Reset stone thing. Where do I get them? Do I need Gold?

I basically want my veno to be useful in PvE and PvP, if that helps. I've heard that a LA Venomancer with a Phoenix pet is the best in PvP, but how helpful is that with PvE?
    edited May 2009
    You get the Reset stone in the Cash shop, so yes you need Gold. Alternatively you can ask around in Archosaur to see if anyone will sell you one for coin.

I am an Arcane Veno with a Nix. I have almost everything in MAG and just enough in STR for the arcane armor I have and just enough in VIT for reasonable HP. But I have added as much PDEF as possible to my armor to compensate.

I am loving my Nix it has made grinding almost enjoyable and the Nix has such high damage that it can keep up with my nukes without me pulling aggro.
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Aww, I really don't want to pay for a reset stone.

I thought Venos were fun when I looked around, and they are very fun. They just lose too much HP too quickly. Now everytime I kill one monster for a quest I have to step back and meditate
    edited May 2009
    If you are losing HP you are doing something wrong. Your PET should be the one taking the damage and you should step back, heal and nuke.

Only if you are a Heavy Veno with decent heavy armor should you be joining in to melee.
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Which is why I need a reset stone. I gave all my points to VIT, and I'm still losing health. If I just raise PDef, and use my Pet for melee, then I would be in better shape.
    edited May 2009
    well you have 2 choices buy reset stone or reroll a new Veno. If you are under lvl 20 it might be easier to reroll. Now you know the steps levelling up to 20 or so should be easy.

In either case I don't understand why you can't still use your pet to tank. Your pet attack power is not determined by your build. A low Mag only means that you will have weak heals and nukes. But you can still use your pet to melee. You may just have to spam your heals more often.

Then as you level up put the points where you need it.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Make a new one, my suggestion is every even level go 1 str 4 mag, and every odd go mag 2 vit, youll have good offensive capability and decent hp.

also, pet wise, for pure offensive, get a vericose scorpion, highest attack in game.
    for a defensive pet, if offense aint your thing, volcanic magmites have slightly less atk, but way more def, hp, etc.

get the skills max listed in my guide Arcane/Robe Veno guide. sticked at the top. theyre your essentials.

other than that you should stick to wielding magic swords, or wands for even damage, or glaives for pure offensive magic.
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Thank you for the help, guys! My plan is to get a LA Venomaster, non-Fox form oriented. Plan to use Tearvalerin's stat distribution with Arcane armor. The only things I am unsure about are the weapons and the pets. Which weapon focuses on all magic and no physical?

And what are the most balanced pets throughout the game? Or best overall, I don't care, either one will do.
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    best balanced pet = volcanic magmite, good skills set, good stats, if you want to reset to LA later, take my build~80 where itll be simple to change
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    Wait, what about build~80? Like changing my distribution?

I'm making a definite LA Veno with my previous stats and stuff. And is there any other best balanced pet before a volcanic magmite?
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    You can always buy Volcanic Magmite and store the egg in your safe untill you reach desired lvl.I prefer Torgins as they are much faster in movement,The Nix is more for pvp and it takes quite a lot of work to get one same with herc.You need to buy gold for them.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
    edited May 2009
    killer128 wrote: »
    is there any other best balanced pet before a volcanic magmite?

IMHO the best pets for Venos are not balanced pets, balanced pets are a little bit good at everything but not exceptional at anything.

The best pets are EXTREME pets. Golems, Sawflies, Scorpions, etc. If you are serious about a Veno get additional pet slots. Then you can have the right pet for every occasion.

The only Pets that come close to being balanced and exceptional are the Phoenix and Herc.

Anyway at low levels, play around with the different pets you can capture. Capturing is free and helps you train your Tame skill. There is a huge difference in feel with each pet that cannot easily be described by statistics. Some pets zip around fast and kill quickly but need a lot of healing and will die quickly if aggroed by multiple mobs. Others, like the Golem can withstand multiple mobs easily, but are slow and lumbering and block the screen so you can't click on things.

Others look cool or funny but are virtually useless for any serious fighting.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    killer128 wrote: »
    Thank you for the help, guys! My plan is to get a LA Venomaster, non-Fox form oriented. Plan to use Tearvalerin's stat distribution with Arcane armor.
    You can't use Tear's guide to make a LA veno >_< LA venos wears light armor, which means the stat distribution is different from arcanes. Its 1str,1dex,3mag ea lvl.
    The only things I am unsure about are the weapons and the pets. Which weapon focuses on all magic and no physical?
    There is none such, you use one of the weapons from Mag. weap category.
    *Semi retired*
  • killer128
    edited May 2009
    @Ladydeadlock: I just meant which weapon is most powerful out of the 3 Tear mentioned. And what would be a good stat dist. for a LA Veno?
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Uhm.. What weapon did he mention? Dont see which post you are refering too.
    For Light 1str, 1dex, 3 mag ea lvl as I said.. You are very limited with where to put the stats...
    *Semi retired*