"No thanks, we're good." (Part 2 - LONG)

Options
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
(If you missed it, part 1 is here: http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=185581)

To recap: Level 70 Veno and level 35 Buddy Cleric are getting a beat down from Dismal and his minions. Our lowly party of a level 44 Barb, 47 Veno, and 47 Cleric have suddenly been asked to help out, despite having been told "No thanks, we're good" at our initial offer/request to join forces.

So, what did we say and do?

Did I transform back into wolf form, and then repeatedly select the "Point" and "Laugh" actions? Unfortunately, no I did not, because I didn't think about it in time. Instead, my fingers practically flew of their own volition back to my keyboard and typed:

"No no, you're good."

My Veno squadmate/girlfriend/faction leader was only slightly behind me in typing:

"I thought you guys were good?"

Yes, that's right. We didn't do the decent thing; we gloated. If I'd have had popcorn, I'd have been eating it. While I took advantage of my Barbarian's toughness to stand right smack dab in the middle of the action, quite visibly doing absolutely nothing to help, my girlfriend sat back a safe distance and watched.

Our Cleric was almost as quick with his own biting, deliciously-ironic, haha-in-your-face-sucker!, response:

"Sure thing, no problem."

*sighs*

Clerics. Gotta love em, huh?

They're just so gosh-darn... well... nice. Always helping out. Always giving free rezzes and selflessly sacrificing themselves for the good of others in need, even if those others really don't deserve it. They can't help themselves, they're just so genuinely decent.

Or at least, that's what the good ones are like. And our Cleric is an excellent Cleric. He saw somebody who needed help, and he helped. Stimulus->Response. No petty grudges. Just like Clerics are supposed to do.

So now I'm looking like a total tool. My Cleric is trying to help out some poor random level 35 player who is now in trouble over his head, through no fault of his own, while the two best minion killers in our squad are just standing there.

Shamed by our Cleric's genuine selflessness and decency, we start killing the minions. Things immediately improve for the 2 person squad, and Buddy Cleric thanks us.

Level ~70, "No thanks, we're good" Veno goes right back to killing Dismal.

I ask for an invite. No response. My girlfriend asks. No response. I ask again. We finally get a response:

"---MAYBE---"

Now, I know that this means, "No". Of course it means no. In fact, it means, "No bloody way in hell am I ---EVER--- swallowing crow and inviting you", but we keep helping anyway.

They kill Dismal. We go back to our corner to wait for the next batch of potential squad mates.

And that's when somehow, someway, the universe enacts its own sense of justice:

"Did you get it?"

"No."

"WHAT!?"

"No, I didn't get credit."

"Check your quest log! Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"I don't believe it!"

Now, I don't know how or why he didn't get credit. Perhaps he was supposed to be killing Shade Eido, or maybe it was some sort of glitch. I don't know. It doesn't matter, because at that point a big group of potential rivals pours into the room and it becomes pretty clear that without our help after all, Buddy Cleric won't be getting his quest reward any time soon.

So we get our invite. We try our best, but our rude rivals, who decide they really don't need to wait their turn, clearly have the upper hand in DPS, and we're not going to get this one.

At some point during this futile melee I get attacked from behind by an unseen attacker and reflexively press an attack hotkey without looking. I realize my mistake within about 1 second, but it's too late.

Sure enough, to my horror, my Barbarian has run straight towards a Guardian Tombstone that is standing right in front of Silver Frost. I pan the camera just in time to see him spring to life like a happy puppy that has just spotted his favourite chew-toy.

OK, I'm dead.

I realize there's a well-established tradition in situations like this: Panic, then run towards your party.

I break with tradition and instead run out the door, away from my party. On my left are a group of hopefuls waiting their turn for a crack at Dismal. They scatter like caffeinated-grasshoppers as me and my buddy Silver Frost stroll out of the room together.

Again, I realize there's a well-established tradition in situations like this: Run towards the innocent bystanders in hopes one of them will somehow miraculously save you.

I break with tradition again by choosing to deliberately run away from everybody. I know I'm going to die, so at least I'm trying to do it honourably.

I die. Of course.

And our party fails to get the credit for Dismal. My Cleric of course immediately risks his own safety by trying to make it to me, but the minions are a bit too dangerous. I tell him not to risk himself for my stupidity. I can just use a scroll and take the XP penalty.

But of course, you know what happens, right?

Having successfully "stolen" "our" kill of Dismal, the rival party of high-levels heads off. As they are leaving, their high-level Cleric casually stops and casts a full level 10 Revive on me. He doesn't even respond to my "Thanks!"

Clerics. Gotta love em, huh?

We eventually kill Dismal. Twice more in fact, since somehow not only does Buddy Cleric still manage to not get credit, but OUR Cleric has the same problem!

By the time we are done all is forgiven and forgotten. I've used up a bunch of my charm, our Veno has had her sizable menagerie of pets killed off roughly 3 times over, and worst of all Buddy Cleric and our Cleric have both had to rezz each other twice. Worn out by the whole mess, we part ways and genuine thanks are shared all-round.

Our tiny, shell-shocked faction of 3 ("Yarr! We be Plunder! We're all about the booty!") retreats to the relative safety of Angler's Village to lick our wounds and count just how much XP / charms / potions were lost in the whole ordeal. It's been a rough night and morale is low.

Heh...

I type, "No thanks, we're good" in the faction chat.

Morale is immediately boosted. Maybe it was a good night after all.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
Post edited by WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    lmao, you have GOT to keep writing these stories :D
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Mistree - Heavens Tear
    Mistree - Heavens Tear Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options

I second that. Your story telling is great. Had me lmao all over the place.
  • Zenpachi - Heavens Tear
    Zenpachi - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Same here! WarrenWolfy, you are quite the lore-weaver. Keep it up, good sir!
  • fuzzles
    fuzzles Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    /subscribe

Keep them coming.
    Everyone here is ridiculously oversensitive.
  • Deadbone - Sanctuary
    Deadbone - Sanctuary Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    fuzzles wrote: »
    /subscribe

Keep them coming.

We can subscribe?!
    I rather pay for money for these stories than zen. b:dirty
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    We can subscribe?!
    I rather pay for money for these stories than zen. b:dirty

*taps a developer* pssst, hire this guy :p

I unfortunately don't remember the details of my own Dismal Shade runs but I know I really hate that guy xD I think I lost a sizeable chunk of xp to him also, but at the lowbie levels it isn't too bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Anatah - Lost City
    Anatah - Lost City Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Too funny... b:chuckle

I think all of us may have some stories simular... Thank you for sharing
  • VonTerror - Lost City
    VonTerror - Lost City Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Great stuffb:laugh. Agree with everyone else, keep them coming
    b:bye
  • Illusiva - Heavens Tear
    Illusiva - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Pure genius. I've lost count on how many times I nearly choked on my lunch through laughing ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[ 5x Venomancer | 3x Psychic | 1x Cleric | 0x Assassin | 0x Blademaster ]
  • Caldaster - Lost City
    Caldaster - Lost City Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    well i remember exactly wht happend for my dismal .... me and a friend of mine ... a cleric went for dismal ... just 2 of us .... ofc he tanked ... i died in the start itself (both of us were same lvl) ... he stacked heal on himself and attacked dismal and after quite sometime just when he was about to kill dismal he rezed me .... and as wood attack stacks right after we got dismal i died again and he had to rezed me again ... i have nvr seen someone tank a boss of their own lvl or higher tht too solo ..... i can nvr thank Eliatron enough for wht he did tht day .... now when i run thru dismal i can nvr stop thinking about tht day .....

btw .. awesome writing

/subscribe ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Poor thing ... lucky me b:victory
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Awesome story. I wanna read more. :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Faustinna - Heavens Tear
    Faustinna - Heavens Tear Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Whats fantastic about your writing is it's in the style of kevin smith's clerics, something to do about mary, etc etc. By that i mean it's a whole lot to do about nothing, but you manage to keep it interesting and a fun read. Goodjob b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Finger - Heavens Tear
    Finger - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    You must keep writing these! You have a talent for exactly capturing the ridiculousness of the situations we all find ourselves in sometimes. Keep it up!!
  • Birdie - Heavens Tear
    Birdie - Heavens Tear Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    The thing I liked most is that I had movie in my head of exactly what he was saying. And I have run into a number of people that replied "nah we are good" and refuse to include someone else that needs that boss also.

thanks for the great story.
  • Grgumsh - Heavens Tear
    Grgumsh - Heavens Tear Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    excellent story writing skills, i was enthralled. when is the next story?
    b:laugh(in my personal opinion you should join RoC to write epic sagas of our TW's. switch to Lost City!!!LOL)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    War has made me very paranoid, and when a man starts eyeballin me it makes my Agent Orange act up and I get the urge to kill.
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Very nice.
    I remember my shade run, i had like a lvl 80 something cleric solo it for me xD
    Back.
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    Ihazacute - Sanctuary Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing! That story made my night.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Renara - Heavens Tear
    Renara - Heavens Tear Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Now, I don't know how or why he didn't get credit. Perhaps he was supposed to be killing Shade Eido....

Probably, since the quest "Seal the Dismal Shade" is given at level 40, and he was only 35.

Superbly written. Thank you, and please keep up the great work.
    "Sorry, we don't need a barbarian. We have a frog."
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    I can't wait for you to reach Krimson. Or maybe Jewelscalen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Coviana - Sanctuary
    Coviana - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Probably, since the quest "Seal the Dismal Shade" is given at level 40, and he was only 35.

Superbly written. Thank you, and please keep up the great work.

I know that my first time through, I got confused by the quest to kill Bloodraged Cadaver. The name of the Bloodraged Cadaver quest was just 'Dismal Shade' - so when there were people partying up for Dismal Shade, i thought it was the same quest. It was clarified for me at the time.
  • Ence - Lost City
    Ence - Lost City Posts: 454 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Excellent writing! I thoroughly enjoyed that (Since part 1). /Subscribe for sure b:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Breakerone - Heavens Tear
    Breakerone - Heavens Tear Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    funny as hell keep writing these they actually lighten up my dayb:thanksb:laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Davitiel - Heavens Tear
    Davitiel - Heavens Tear Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    That was awesome! Please continue to write, I enjoyed it a whole lot and I'm looking foward for the next issue.b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    And now faith, hope, and charity remain; but the greatest of these is charity.
  • Baraiai - Sanctuary
    Baraiai - Sanctuary Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options

I felt like I was standing there with my barb :D Great explaining~ You need to tell us more tales!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nomaad - Heavens Tear
    Nomaad - Heavens Tear Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    +10000000000000...for masterful story-telling...more, pleaseb:laugh
  • Reikara - Heavens Tear
    Reikara - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,321 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Good read :D

But uh.. why was a level 70 veno getting beaten up by dismal o.O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevilCrys - Heavens Tear
    DevilCrys - Heavens Tear Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Options
    Nice story telling, I thought this was a noobish rant at first but read it more n saw the comments. Good read.
  • Nisanthro - Heavens Tear
    Nisanthro - Heavens Tear Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

I TOTALLY agree.

The stories are great not just only because they are very well written. What I find interesting is that the funny and entertaining (and often absurdly ironic) things actually happen to WarrenWolfy quite often as it seems. He attracts this kind of situatoins somehow. How does he do that? :)
  • Mr_jingle - Sanctuary
    Mr_jingle - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

Sure enough, to my horror, my Barbarian has run straight towards a Guardian Tombstone that is standing right in front of Silver Frost. I pan the camera just in time to see him spring to life like a happy puppy that has just spotted his favourite chew-toy.

OK, I'm dead.
    My favorite part b:chuckle Nice story friend.
  • Vizula - Sanctuary
    Vizula - Sanctuary Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Warren as always you have told a wonderful tale full of humor and shenanigans. Every single time I see a post from you, even if I'm pressed for time, I have to read it. lol

The stories are amazing, and chock full of tongue in cheek humor. Wish I could meet you in game to see if you're just as funny in there as you on the forums.

Please, keep them coming. Us masses need entertainment.
    If you want to be somebody, and you want to go somewhere, you better wake up and Pay Attention.

b:victoryb:cool