Time left on auctions

Options
_Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
_Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Ok why if you bid on something when it has like 15 mins left it goes back up to like 30 mins? thats not how auctions are supposed to work.
Facebook.com/foxi187
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Rise_satan - Lost City
    Rise_satan - Lost City Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm with you on that one! I got screwed so many times on good items cauz the time changes back to more...BS if u ask me!
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I think its meant to keep the market somewhat stable/ for the seller to get the most he can.. otherwise like 10 people would try to raise the bid like 100gp at the last second and the seller would lose out if the time didnt increase. Since it increases, it forces other people to bid higher and higher til it gets to the "market price".

Sorry if that was a run-on sentence b:chuckle
  • Bowlinbob - Lost City
    Bowlinbob - Lost City Posts: 3,446 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    BTW you wouldnt be complaining if you were the seller and it was other people bidding over and over again and raising the time remaining, thus increasing your profit
  • Insergapwn - Harshlands
    Insergapwn - Harshlands Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    thats not how auctions are supposed to work.

Actually auctions work depending on the rules set for them before the auction begins.

There are auctions (mainly online auction sites like swoopo) where the time will reset when a bid has been made in order to promote fair bidding.

The only thing that pisses me off with auction house is you get charged to place an item and then they steal more money off you when your item has sold, it should be one or the other not both.
  • Ihazacute - Sanctuary
    Ihazacute - Sanctuary Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Anti-sniping mechanism. And it may not be how eBay works, but it's exactly how live auctions work. If bidding is hot, they keep going back and forth until it's over. They don't just call "time".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Venomeow - Sanctuary
    Venomeow - Sanctuary Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I think it's something along the lines of each bid extends by 20 min up to a maximum extension of 2 hours. Again, anti-sniping.
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Ok why if you bid on something when it has like 15 mins left it goes back up to like 30 mins? thats not how auctions are supposed to work.

Bidder 1: I bid $3000.
    Auctioneer: And we have a bid on the painting for $3000. Anyone else?
    Auctioneer: Going once!
    Auctioneer: Going twice!
    Bidder 2: I bid $3500.
    Auctioneer: The bid is now $3500.
    Auctioneer: Sold!

Based on stereotypical, based-on-pop-culture knowledge of auctions, the auctioneer resets the 3-second timer whenever someone bids. So, I believe that *is* how auctions are supposed to work.
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

Based on stereotypical, based-on-pop-culture knowledge of auctions, the auctioneer resets the 3-second timer whenever someone bids. So, I believe that *is* how auctions are supposed to work.

3 seconds v.s 20 mins >.>
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Seraph - Dreamweaver
    Seraph - Dreamweaver Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I agree that if they charge a fee for placing the item, you shouldn't get charged the 10% as well after the item sells. It's not a make or break thing for me as I'll continue to use the AH, just a minor annoyance. lol
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    3 seconds v.s 20 mins >.>
    Real-life auctions don't have the auctioneer standing there for 24 hours waiting for bids. So stop comparing apples to oranges.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Real-life auctions don't have the auctioneer standing there for 24 hours waiting for bids. So stop comparing apples to oranges.

To add to this - 3 sec isn't fair when you can't get to the auctioneer from *most* places in 3 sec. If this were the case, you'd be notified that you were outbid at about the same time that the time to re-bid expired!
  • epherine
    epherine Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    People might not be able to get there in three seconds, but don't forget that you can also walk away after bidding and go do whatever you want to afterwards. At the very least, I think dropping the time to 3 mins extension per bid, 30 mins max is a better solution. If you want something really that bad, you should at least give some focus, rather than having enough time to wander off again lazily.
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    epherine wrote: »
    People might not be able to get there in three seconds, but don't forget that you can also walk away after bidding and go do whatever you want to afterwards. At the very least, I think dropping the time to 3 mins extension per bid, 30 mins max is a better solution. If you want something really that bad, you should at least give some focus, rather than having enough time to wander off again lazily.

Then they should also institute a proxy bidding system for the people that aren't able to / aren't going to camp the auctioneers. This system would allow the bidder to set a maximum amount that they would pay for the item, and then the system would auto bid in preset increments up to the maximum amount, so that the players can continue doing what the game is really about: grinding/questing. Remember that not all people who bid are lazily walking away. They may have placed that bid hours before. Expecting them to camp the auctioneer for this amount of time is ludicrous! I don't think that 20 minutes is an extraordinarily long time to extend the auction. I would, however, concede that the time limit should only be raised if the limit is already below 20 minutes, and it should only be raised back to 20 minutes, not xx remaining time plus 20 minutes per additional bid.
  • erethizon1
    erethizon1 Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I would, however, concede that the time limit should only be raised if the limit is already below 20 minutes, and it should only be raised back to 20 minutes, not xx remaining time plus 20 minutes per additional bid.

The current system does only extend the time by 20 minutes if there is less than 20 minutes on the clock. If there is 5 minutes left it raises it to 25. If someone else bids 1 minute later the clock stays at 24. If someone else bids 5 minutes after that the clock goes up to 39 minutes (19 + 20). As was mentioned it only happens for a total of two hours so there are only 6 possible 20 minute extensions. I usually wait for 1 minute to be left on the clock since that usually results in the other people not getting a chance to see that they were outbid until there is less than 20 minutes on the clock. My bid bumps it up to 21 minutes and then their bid bumps it up another 20 minutes (since they are usually not quick enough to bid before the clock gets below 20 minutes). This gets two of the 6 extensions out of the way and gives me 40 minutes where I can go off and do other things. I just repeat the process twice more and all the extensions are gone and I can finally really try to win the auction.
  • Hazardus - Heavens Tear
    Hazardus - Heavens Tear Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Essentially the system is there to prevent people form last minute bid stealing and AH camping.

For e.g. I want an item. I bid say 50K. If someone wants it he bids 75K. Now if this system were not there could wait for the last minute before raising the bid to 80K and would 99.9% certainly win it (unless the other person was camping at the AH and ready to bid more).

The system gives all users a minimum of 20mins to raise the bid if they want to.

How'd you feel is someone walked away with an item for 100K, which you were willing to pay 200K for, but didn't because you couldn't get to the auctioneer in time?
    When the going gets tough; Get a tank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nocturne mature HT guild - we invite people, not levels.
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • Tearvalerin - Sanctuary
    Tearvalerin - Sanctuary Posts: 3,787 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

auctions dont work like this, they keep the bidding going if its a hot item, they dont just 'end' it after a few seconds. if it doesnt hit bidders minimum asking price, then the auction gets cut off, and they repeat it later :P