Knockback Arrow... soo tempted...

Options
Death - Harshlands
Death - Harshlands Posts: 139 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Archer
I'm so tempted to level it past 1, but all the guides say otherwise, so I'm very hesitant.

I know it plays no role in PvP (which is why I'm really on HL), but PvE is a large part of the game and you do need to level. I find myself using it all the time so I wonder if the increased knockback range and damage are worthwhile.

Who here has leveled it.... give me good argument for/against please. I know I shouldn't waste valuable skill points, but I'd like to hear some perspective.
Post edited by Death - Harshlands on

Comments

• Horseman - Sanctuary
    Horseman - Sanctuary Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    the range DOES NOT increase, however i have also considered levelling it cause i think the extra damage may sometimes save me a shot ... comes down to the mana cost though ...
  • Legerity - Sanctuary
    Legerity - Sanctuary Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Like Horseman points out, the knockback distance does NOT increase which is why the general concensus is that leveling it is unnecessary (as you're trading more mp for a small increase in damage).

If this skill increased knockback distance, everyone would have it at 10 by now. That's really the only reason why it's left at 1.
  • Death - Harshlands
    Death - Harshlands Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    No extra distance = no leveling the skill. lol

I guess I should pay attention and read skill descriptions better. I've just been enjoying the ride leveling my archer.
  • Cal - Harshlands
    Cal - Harshlands Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    As all have mentioned leave the skill at lvl one till like 80+ or more when u have lots of mana.
    By the power of the alt lord ....
    I am ALT-MAN b:cool
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Flieyah - Dreamweaver
    Flieyah - Dreamweaver Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I think even more then the knockback not encreasing, the mana is a bigger issue. I'm sure I would not mind the extra damage even if there was no additional knockback distance. But the mana costs for that damage are simply not worth it.
    "What we do is what you just can't do."
    b:cool
  • revoker
    revoker Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have leveled it to 2, but was before everyone warned me about it. I don't notice any negatives, so I really couldn't care about it. I just won't go further.

It seems to be unleveled simply because it doesn't increase distance. In some cases that is unfair because the extra damage can't hurt, but we do have skills for that and the mana cost gets inefficient for grinding.
  • Veloure - Heavens Tear
    Veloure - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have knockback maxed out, and frankly, the extra bit of dmg is welcome. It is my most often used skill along with frost arrow. I start with frost, 2-3 regular shots, knockback, and then follow up with 2-3 more and the mob is dead 90% of the time. Since stun is one of our only immobilizing skills, people like to use stun arrow in place of knockback, but you have to remember the stun is a chance to stun, while the knockback is guaranteed. Most archers open with a skill, then go to regular shots and then another skill anyway, stun, and knockback both cost about the same mp for me for me right now and stun is only lv6, nevermind its cost at lv10. I use stun as an alternative example to knockback because I assume most archers want to stop mobs from reaching attack range at all, and skills like aim low require a spark, making them unviable for more than 3 mobs in a row. I'd like to know what other skill combos other archers use if not frost/knockback/stun.
  • Goldian - Dreamweaver
    Goldian - Dreamweaver Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Knockback lvl 1 works fine here
  • Lunnark - Sanctuary
    Lunnark - Sanctuary Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The idea that a skill based on damage is only worth leveling when the increase is exponential (in %).
    Knock-back's increase is not exponential, is just flat damage which may be increased to +1864 when your skill is lev10 and the char is level 64. So practically you get no bonus, once you hit skill lev10, and char lev64.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]