Wizard discussion for level 66+

Anubisdrak - Sanctuary
Anubisdrak - Sanctuary Posts: 89 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Wizard
Now i know theres a few of you other 'LA wizard haters' in the part of the forums so before you scream your heads off at it tell me your side:

I was just disscusing with another wizzy about LA and he said I shoulg go LA before lvl 71, now Im fixing on going demon so i can get super powered spells that go for dealing damage rather than getting worthless chi (honestly, what wizzy needs to go sage for all that worthless chi? sure it goes into our ults but exactly WHEN are you gonna need to use em more than twice and still not get hit and get screwed while your sitting there getting interupted multiple times trying to cast BT, anyway >.>) call me stupid but my wizzy hits more damage with fire spells than earth spells from what ive experimented with, so im going pyromage just meaning that my fire spells will be higher lvls than my other spells. What i want to know is since demon will hit more damage should i stay robe or should i go LA? I heard LA also helps out with zhen and rebirths and such
Wiz: Joins squad
Wiz: Wiz is silent... <--code of honor kill quick and leave without saying a word.
Wiz: Stays in back incase they pull aggro (better for mob to run towards you then to be next to you, gives squad time to pull aggro from you)
Wiz: Wiz happens to pull aggro
Wiz: Wiz stands ground
Wiz: Wiz kills mob/ or is killed by mob
Wiz: Honorable death is seen by squad

<likes that xD, im either the quiet one or the active avid talker ;D
Post edited by Anubisdrak - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Forp - Heavens Tear
    Forp - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,445 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i forsee pandora eating your face.
  • missqq
    missqq Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i forsee pandora eating your face.
    Pandora ragequit alreadyb:shutup

Anyway, LA only works when you're Pandora and you have a heal slave, chi slave, veno debuffer, and BM dragoning every shot you make.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Well... chi is extremely useful... if for nothing else then sutra or blink. The ults do get used. I'm LA and never regretted it. The earth skills out damage fire skills, and you really need to play your wizard more before you decide what you're going to do late game. I hear that most people restat at 90 to arcane, but I wouldn't go pking 60-89 without LA. Just my 2 cents
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Jrudora - Lost City
    Jrudora - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Demon and Sage are both very different and play very differently.
    Demons do hit harder, but as a Sage, I've never had any chi problems whatosever, and its absolutely great to be able to get emergency chi whenever I need it.
    There's been one too many times during a pk war that I'm low on chi and unable to blink away in time, causing unwanted deaths.

No chi = dead mage.
    Distance shrink is our life saver, and we really need the chi to use it.
    Seeing how pyrogram's 20% to get 30 extra chi procs a LOT more than I expected, my mage is now a friggen chi machine! :p

That's why I went Sage, and I'm loving every bit of it =p
  • Elahim - Lost City
    Elahim - Lost City Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    LA v Pure - I stayed a pure mage because pure levels faster than LA (and I level slow enough as is). In general for pvp LA is considered better until you start refining the heck out of your gear (HH90). At that point there isn't that big of a difference in defense between the two. The further on you go the defense difference shrinks and the dps difference grows.

Sage v Demon - Well depends what you want to talk about, 90s Sage vs Demon or later on when you can get more than the starting 3 books. I'll assume you want to talk more about later on. I wouldn't say that in the endgame demon doesn't do more damage than sage. Sage gets +25% dmg from masteries compared to 20% +3% crit. That's a difference of 2% dmg in favor of sage which I would argue probably comes close to washing the few skills where demon gets a fixed damage added. Now the demon's +crit is more burst oriented which does speak for something. The difference swings more in the favor of sage the further on you go. Demon gets +30% pdef over Sage from earth barrier but this amounts to a small amount and again this difference becomes less significant the further on you go. Sage effectively is a chi machine which is good because a MG with 0 sparks is not any good. PvP is based around burst damage, Sutra ->1 Skill -> Earth ult ->2 more skills is probably the highest burst damage of any class out there (aside from bugged bleed). That combo will burn all of your chi bar so having more chi is not a trivial thing, further earth ult has a 50% chance of casting at 1 spark for sage. As for what demon really adds, is a few more/greater chances of stunning/stopping the enemy. Demon MGs have a greater chance at controlling an opponent 1 on 1.

In the end I think both are quite well balanced but I tend to like sage a bit better.
  • Mizorie - Lost City
    Mizorie - Lost City Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    lol pyromage :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dalamaar: Mizorie you have no soul.
  • wnight
    wnight Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Honestly if you're looked what Demon and Sage have to offer to Mage you would see that Sage Has More DD then Demon can even to think about. Exception only 2-3 skills where Demon offers more damage in them.(btw which is easily neutralized if fighting against other spell caster or if in PvE just higher lvl mob b:laugh )
    Sages 5%!! in damage increase can easily override in those 2-3 skills damage output.
    Demon got speed which is awesome if you have superior gear to neutralize channeling time. b:victory
    But in matter of damage Sage superior, hands down b:surrender
  • Phsyco - Lost City
    Phsyco - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    LA is a good idea for 70-90. I switched to LA at 70 and i don't regret it. I plan on going arcane at 90 coz as said b4 the defence is not too diff with hh90. As for demon vs sage. I plan on going sage so far coz of the chi. You NEED it. Blink is a life saver. Enough said.
  • RedSpeller - Sanctuary
    RedSpeller - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'll go demon, cause I really feel the lack of control skills. At lvl 92 you can get emberstorm who have 50% chance to stun. You have also demon hailstorm (lvl89) who freeze at 50% and demon pitfall (lvl89) who freeze at 33%.

For the chi parts, I'm quite happy that Genie's cames out, especialy for "Could Eruption".
    Cloud Eruption
    Range: 8 meters
    Energy: 150
    Stamina: 73
    Instant cast
    Cooldown: 1 seconde
    Increase the chi of yourself and all enemies in range by 100,
    as well as an additional 10 to yourself.

This will allow lvl 60~89 wizard to use sutra + ultimate b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Moog - Lost City
    Moog - Lost City Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Now i know theres a few of you other 'LA wizard haters' in the part of the forums so before you scream your heads off at it tell me your side:

I was just disscusing with another wizzy about LA and he said I shoulg go LA before lvl 71, now Im fixing on going demon so i can get super powered spells that go for dealing damage rather than getting worthless chi (honestly, what wizzy needs to go sage for all that worthless chi? sure it goes into our ults but exactly WHEN are you gonna need to use em more than twice and still not get hit and get screwed while your sitting there getting interupted multiple times trying to cast BT, anyway >.>) call me stupid but my wizzy hits more damage with fire spells than earth spells from what ive experimented with, so im going pyromage just meaning that my fire spells will be higher lvls than my other spells. What i want to know is since demon will hit more damage should i stay robe or should i go LA? I heard LA also helps out with zhen and rebirths and such

I stopped reading this fail post at the bolded. It's because of that "worthless chi" that I can use sutra so much doing fights. And if you are ganking someone you can use that chi to get full 4 sparks to cast sutra, divine pyro, sandstorm, than a 2 spark ulti (all within 6 seconds) A wizard with chi can pk mostly everything.
  • Json - Heavens Tear
    Json - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Cloud Eruption is worthless if u read again it say ONLY USABLE in WATER. Where do u ever fight in water?
    TT is never in water the only time i can see someone using that is in Dragon temple,and that is only happens once a week.
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Cloud Eruption is worthless if u read again it say ONLY USABLE in WATER. Where do u ever fight in water?
    TT is never in water the only time i can see someone using that is in Dragon temple,and that is only happens once a week.

It doesnt say ANYTHING about water at all in my description......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedSpeller - Sanctuary
    RedSpeller - Sanctuary Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Go read the description again and then post.
    I don't see anywhere "Under water only", its a Metal:7 Earth:5 skill, nothing related to water element...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Calurinos - Sanctuary
    Calurinos - Sanctuary Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2009

I think the debate for LA vs Arcane is kind of finished. LA = survivability + PvP, Arcane = Efficient Grinds + higher PvE Damage. At level 90, yeah go arcane, negligible differences I hear. You just need good Arcane armor (pdef + HP mods) pre-90 and you'll be fine in most cases, after all.. Earth Barrier <33 b:dirty

Chi.. that's incredibly important for Wizards in my opinion. As others have said, it's not just Ults that use chi, DS + sutra = essentials. You can probably guess, but at the moment I'm planning to go for Sage, mainly for TW + steady & high DPS, but still plenty of time to decide on that. b:pleased

Fire spells doing more damage than Earth spells? ... You've either got underlevelled skills, or you've tested your Earth + Fire spells on an Earth element mob -_-". Damage-wise, SS (Sandstorm) > all, until you get GS (Glacial Snare) to level 9-10.

Advice.. if you're a wizard, don't focus on one element, you need all three elements. Those are a wizard's strengths. To say you're going "pyromage", you've just gimped yourself some more.

Thanks for reading.

- Cal
  • Kristoph - Lost City
    Kristoph - Lost City Posts: 2,016 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Cloud eruption still sucks, waste of a genie skill slot, and costs way too much energy. I'll stick to being able to use ex poison + something else.
    Wondering how much longer these **** packs are going to be around.