Have the system requirements changed?

Options
Xab - Heavens Tear
Xab - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Since this latest update my laptop is scorching hot.b:angryb:sweat
i have an upgrade fan installed and a cool stand it sets on, but still have to take a break every 2hrs for it to cool down. Thats not just in busy town but everywhere i go on PWI. And i can't have it setting on my lap while propped up in bed, which is my fav place to be while playing PWI.
I would hate not being able to play PWI anymore, especially after i've spent so much already. And just bought some 7-11 card's (I want BadPanda... BAD!b:nosebleed), and had planned if needed to go buy more.
So, whats up? Have the system req's changed? b:puzzled
Post edited by Xab - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Sacred - Harshlands
    Sacred - Harshlands Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Can't say for any system req. changes, but do you use a laptop cooler as you play?
  • Xab - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Options
    i have an upgrade fan installed and a cool stand it sets on, but still have to take a break every 2hrs for it to cool down.

Yep, sure do.b:laugh
  • SaiyanGohan - Lost City
    SaiyanGohan - Lost City Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    okay, clean out your fans/ vents. be sure nothing is covering it. which laptop model do you use? im a laptop user myself, and unless you're a hardcore one that actually isnt scared of opening your laptop up to add a thermal compound or to clean out the heatsink, you're stuck with your problem
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I'm not noticing the overheating issue as much, but the game sure seems to be... laggier?... That's really the best description that I can give. I've got a pretty average laptop, I keep it clean (file-wise and physically), and I've never once had issues with lag outside of towns. Today, however, it couldn't escape it. Everywhere, turning the camera angle, moving, attacking, the whole deal was super jumpy/laggy. The only thing I could figure as the possible issue is server lag due to the increased graphical stress of the thousands of new glowbugs circling everybody.

Has anyone else run into this or have other possible suggestions about causes?
  • Xab - Heavens Tear
    edited May 2009
    Options
    But i never had this problem til this latest update. my laptop was always cool.
    but not now, damn, i got blisters on me fingers

and ur right the lag is very bad, my guy is jerking all over the place even when i'm standing still. when i fly or run and then stop it looks like im still moving. standing still but body is running, walking but legs aren't moving. combos aren't working too.
  • Coraline - Lost City
    Coraline - Lost City Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I know if i have my laptop directly on the bed, it heats up much faster but if i have it on my legs it takes longer to heat up. So yeah..idk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eatswithspoons "*roll eyes* real money for virtual property? That's definitely not allowed"

Lol what?
    edited May 2009
    Options
    clean ur vents out, dust can cause it to overheat
  • Paladin - Harshlands
    Paladin - Harshlands Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The game has become heavier due to everyone having a genie, it will take more power to calculate all this stuff for the gcpu/cpu.

Also, the view distance slider is not working, players in a far range with a genie are stil shown on my computer even though I put the slider all the way to minimal. Players with no genie at all do not show. This could be a bug on my side, I don't know if anyone else have the same issue as me.
  • Literature - Harshlands
    Literature - Harshlands Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I dunno but the game looks better quality to me. Looks like they did some minor tweaks on the graphics. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it or not though. ;o

I have no problems with lag though...my computer is too pro.
  • Chappy_Happy - Heavens Tear
    Chappy_Happy - Heavens Tear Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Alt-tabbing takes about 10x longer for me since last patch (the one before genies).
  • Sarugami - Sanctuary
    Sarugami - Sanctuary Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I usually have no lag except in west archo on my laptop before the patch. After the patch...it seems things getting slower and slower...........weird
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    Options
    im not getting any overheating or lag issues.
  • Mothergoose - Sanctuary
    Mothergoose - Sanctuary Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The client is definitely getting heavier. I kept a running log, and cpu usage hit 80% on one core, while it had never gone above 60% before. Gpu usage is probably up to, I can hear the fan spinning up, although can't be certain as i didn't keep a log for that.

Not sure if it's just because of all the genies floating around, or they changed something else.
  • Drazo - Heavens Tear
    Drazo - Heavens Tear Posts: 947 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The game definitely now consumes more memory than it ever has and the longer it runs the more memory it uses even if you don't do much and stay in the same area. As for processing and graphics I can't really say other that they too would be affected due to the increasing number of online players around.
    Non-mule alts:

Drazo - Venomancer - Dreamweaver - Semi-active
    Knatami - Barbarian - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    Drazorus - Archer - Sanctuary - Inactive
    Cidemami - Cleric - Dreamweaver - Inactive
    Recilsami - Blademaster - Heavens Tear - Inactive
    DrazoThePsy - Psychic - Dreamweaver - Active
    DrazoTheSas - Assassin - Dreamweaver - Active
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    What other tasks do you all have running while playing PW?
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • nocturnalbastard
    nocturnalbastard Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I dunno but the game looks better quality to me. Looks like they did some minor tweaks on the graphics. I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it or not though. ;o

Yeah, I think there were some refinements/enhancements done recently, though probably a couple patches back I noticed that things look a little nicer.
  • swgs
    swgs Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    As far as I know, there must be a memory leak in the new patch, PWI used work great on one of my low end laptop, now it crash after a hour or two. if it is just new patch need more resource, the game will just run slow at the beginning. it take a hour or two to crash means memory usage is increasing over time. and this happens even I just login then not to touch the game any more. hope then can fix it.
  • groink
    groink Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yeah I agree,sounds like a memory leak.
    I can't fight for 2 minutes without my character
    **** up now.
    Macro stops working.
    I hear the running sound and I'm not running.
    Character acts like it is trying to run in all directions
    at once when standing still.
    When fighting in the air,after a kill,character freezes
    until I move it with the keyboard.
    Character freezes when trying to pick up loot
    until I move it with the keyboard.
    Game crashes to the desktop with a bug report window.
  • Flowelam - Sanctuary
    Flowelam - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    same here

everything used to run just fine on my (not exactly new) laptop and all over sudden i have major lag and crashes

in my case it crashes rather quickly without actually maxing out the memory before it does...
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have a 2 year old laptop and no new issues have come up with me. Game still runs fine
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • Kirashan - Dreamweaver
    Kirashan - Dreamweaver Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I was having issues right after the update. I ran a registry cleaner, a junk file cleaner and restarted. I've had no issues since.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    everything used to run just fine on my (not exactly new) laptop and all over sudden i have major lag and crashes

in my case it crashes rather quickly without actually maxing out the memory before it does...
    I'm pretty sure there's a memory leak. I popped open task manager after about 5 hours playing last night and saw my total memory usage at 3.4 GB. I only have 4 GB, and only about 3.5 GB is available due to it being a 32-bit version of Windows. I killed the client and restarted, and total memory use dropped to 1.6 GB.

Windows uses free memory for disk cache, so when your apps start to use all available memory, the disk cache suffers first. As you run around the game, the client has to read data files off the disk to load new objects. With a good cache, this doesn't affect the game animation. With little cache, the game will stutter and lag as it waits for data off your drive. (Vista's disk cache is much better than XP's, so you may not notice this as much with Vista.)

Also, when I exited the game in the above case, elementclient.exe stayed in the task manager eating up ~50% of the CPU time even though it had disappeared from my main screen. I let it sit for a minute and it didn't seem to be closing on its own, so I killed it manually. I suspect there's also another bug that's causing a thread in the game to get stuck in an endless loop, driving up CPU use.
  • Mosz - Heavens Tear
    Mosz - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,181 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    had so many game crashes while vending since last patch, and actually had windows tell me i had low virtual memory another time, hadnt seen that in agessssss
  • Nukesrus - Harshlands
    Nukesrus - Harshlands Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    To solve the overheating problem, always use a lapdesk or other flat surface toput your laptop on. As lappie get more and more compact, they have smaller clearances for their vent. Resting it on a leg or a bed can obstruct the airflow.
  • Murugan - Lost City
    Murugan - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I've been having trouble with PWI on my comp too. Before, I hardly turned off my computer. Had the game running for 3 weeks+ at a time without the slightest bit of lag. Now, after just a week of being on, my PC heats up quite a bit, PW lags, gltiches, and sometimes crashes. Took screens of when my character's face turned into a giant polygon; and during WQ I noticed that several NPCs had turned into giant block letters "ERR." Here's a screen of that:

ERR.jpg
  • Qwentomec - Heavens Tear
    Qwentomec - Heavens Tear Posts: 270 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Yeh my game has been freezing when I put my catshop on and leave it overnight. I havn't been selling much (I sell herbs at a good price, they normally go like hotcakes), which suggests it happens pretty quickly after I set it up.

This is just since the last update, and I've sent in a couple of error reports from the screen that pops up after it freezes.
    you thilly gooses... feather set is thuper fabulous! -Bowlinbob

Chars:
    Qwentomec 94 BM / _Zappy_ 99 Wizzy / xLysander 6x Cleric / MoneyBagz 5x Veno / BaNaNa 3x Barb / _Flappy_ 2x Archer / xKnifey 2x Sin / Spoo_Ney 3x Psy

(cookie for anyone who gets the simpsons reference in those last 2 names)
  • Zerza - Harshlands
    Zerza - Harshlands Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    sys requirements sure as hell did change,, tho i doubt the makers will admit it..

I had to totally clean out my desktop of dust, and add 2 fans to make it run stable.

The genies rose system specs,, I doubt PWI will ever admit that.

However I dont play a free game because my comp sucks,, so I will accomodate happily :)

I build my own comps always,, if anyone needs advice for their system feel free to hit me up

Hes kidding right?
    I've been having trouble with PWI on my comp too. Before, I hardly turned off my computer. Had the game running for 3 weeks+ at a time without the slightest bit of lag. Now, after just a week of being on, my PC heats up quite a bit, PW lags, gltiches, and sometimes crashes. Took screens of when my character's face turned into a giant polygon; and during WQ I noticed that several NPCs had turned into giant block letters "ERR." Here's a screen of that:
    sure hes kidding

find me a game that wont leak ram after 3 weeks,, a modern game.. with good graphs... And then tell me you still play it, cuz you dont,, it was made in 1998